closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I had a doner kebab tonight...

I had a doner kebab tonight...

Had the usual odd 'gritty' bit.

Re: doner meat - Not that it wasn't apparent before all this horse meat stuff, but if a massive company can sell something 100% it isn't, I think there's a good chance I've consumed dog meat or worse.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    I,m stickin to chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    I,m stickin to chicken.
    Not from fast food chains I hope (if you believe this);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E

As long as the meat is not tainted (no Bute, for instance) and tastes good, then I'll have it. Cow anus, eyelids and knuckle? So what? It's meat.

Mind you, I don't tend to eat that much fast food so I'm gonna be fine, anyway.

Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Not from fast food chains I hope (if you believe this);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E
    That's an ancient photo and doesn't apply, thankfully, to any major fast food outlets here, or even in the States any longer even though their food regs are laxer than ours. The guy from McD's was on TV a little while ago maintaining that all chicken bites and so on are whole pieces of identifiable chicken. The occasional McChickenThing I've had over the past few years has been proper chicken.

I'd expect to find the likes of Pink Slime in reconstituted chicken in curry outlet and the like. Vile stuff.

If it doesn't stick in your throat.............
    F.T.F.A.

Banned
    I love donner meat, it's a part of my stable diet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    That's an ancient photo and doesn't apply, thankfully, to any major fast food outlets here, or even in the States any longer even though their food regs are laxer than ours. The guy from McD's was on TV a little while ago maintaining that all chicken bites and so on are whole pieces of identifiable chicken. The occasional McChickenThing I've had over the past few years has been proper chicken.

I'd expect to find the likes of Pink Slime in reconstituted chicken in curry outlet and the like. Vile stuff.
    Avoiding the slime is definitely good, although even years ago "whole" chicken could be seriously adulterated - quickly grown using feed additives, then water injected using chemicals to retain additional water (hydrolised proteins, which include pig for example).

In a sense I feel sorry for the food industry. Apparently "consumers" (more often supermarkets) demand cheap food, and since they also need to make a profit, some parts of the market will cut corners to provide it. In general if food is extremely cheap it will be for a reason.

(This is quite an old story, but references even chunks of chicken as being affected. I'm sure technology has moved on since then!)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...s-51-meat.html

Nothing better after a few drinks!!

Craftsman
    I know for a fact that the largest Donor kebab manufacture in the UK only use lamb or sometimes mix with beef. Food standard are pretty hot on checking the food processing plants in the UK.

The trouble is some Kebab shops make in house kebab's and can produce them for less than the largest manufactures which does make one suspicious! Having said that some in house kebabs are very good so really difficult to know either way.

Journeyman
    There's meat in a kebab...?!

Sweet jesus, i can feel my curry from earlier tonight starting to regurgitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcmonkee View Post
    There's meat in a kebab...?!
    There's always been meat in kababs..................................

Master
    I'm amazed that we are supposed to be protecting our shores from things like foot and mouth but we are importing meats from all around the world and putting them into our food chain. Waste food is constantly being fed to pigs so not surprising that foot and mouth keeps reappearing!

Kebabs look the same going into or coming out of our bodies!
    Mike

I remember eating from a Kebab shop in Walthamstow(every Saturday) back in the 70 and early 80's fantastic. Not now, I tried one six or seven years ago dreadful. Quality has completely vanished, not the only fast food to suffer...Wimpy's another one never to be the same

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taz417 View Post
    I love donner meat, it's a part of my stable diet.
    ''stable diet.'' Made me LOL.

I had a doner kebab tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    ''stable diet.'' Made me LOL.
    :-)

On the subject of doner kebabs, I genuinely don't know how/why people eat them. They look, smell and taste disgusting! I just can't see what the attraction is.

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    :-)

On the subject of doner kebabs, I genuinely don't know how/why people eat them. They look, smell and taste disgusting! I just can't see what the attraction is.

They are a bit like fat chicks, the thought is only palatable after a skinful

I bet there are plenty of people who are up in arms about findus crispy hooves but would happily eat a mystery meat doner.

People love a good scandal.

Craftsman
    My friend turned up at our house last week and looked quite ill . I said "why the long face ? "
    He said "I feel very ill and I've just eaten a kebab " .My wife , a nurse ,called an ambulance which took him to hospital where he's remained for a week with a nasty case of food poisoning.

Hospital staff say he's quite stable now though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't really know what people are expecting- like the "Value" lasagne- 60p at retail of pasta, tomato sauce and meat, is any buyer seriously thinking the butcher popped over to the cow, selected the primest cut himself, then finely sliced it by hand before slowly, gently cooking it in the vine-ripened organic tomatoes hand selected in Italy, which have been sent over by the pasta maker who put the freshest, finest ingredients in to that pasta that morning??? 60p??????

I also was surprised there was horse meat in a kebab, I really didn't think it would get that good! I mean it's got to sit there turning through heat for days, potentially weeks on end, and it hardly looks like it's come from a recognisable animal to start with!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    I,m stickin to chicken.

Yep you get a nice Chicken Filly from Tesco

I had a Doner meat and chips last saturday, mind you, i was starving; could've eaten a Horse...........................

'Best Kebab' in Stoke Newington (London) cure the meat onsite - they go through like 7-8 doners a night. As far as i know they use 'proper' meat. Sadly a good kebab is a rarity nowadays.