closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inappropriate casting?

Inappropriate casting?

Having seen the tiny Tom Cruise (or 'wee' as the scotch folk say) playing Jack Reacher (who is a big chap in the books), it got me thinking: "WTF!!!, who cast this movie?"

So I would be interested to hear what other folks think was inappropriate casting

Jonny Depp as Willy Wonka, not a patch on Gene Wilders original, although still not quite as bad as Colin Farrell in Alexander, what were they thinking!
    However i would be giving the prize to whoever cast Micheal Keaton as Batman.

Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 6th February 2013 at 14:57.

The new series "The following". The actor that plays the role of the main 'bad guy'.

Serial killer?, pah!, what a joke
    Last edited by Kiki Picasso; 6th February 2013 at 16:20.

Jennifer Lopez in, well, anything.

Well, Keanu Reeves was cast as Buddha - that must be a winner right there?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FatElvis View Post
    Having seen the tiny Tom Cruise (or 'wee' as the scotch folk say) playing Jack Reacher (who is a big chap in the books), it got me thinking: "WTF!!!, who cast this movie?"

So I would be interested to hear what other folks think was inappropriate casting
    I understand that Tom Cruise owns the production compoany that bought up the film rights to the Jack Reacher books, which explains why he has the lead role - I can't think that he would have been the first person that the directors would have thought of otherwise....

My candidate for unlikely casting is Dick Van Dyke as Bert the cockney chimney sweep in Mary Poppins

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by FatElvis View Post

Mel Gibson in Braveheart (well anything really). Turned it into an in joke which was clever but still didn't save the film from descending into Pantomime. If this is the only thing that people think they know about Scottish History a serious crime will have been committed.

Hayden Christenson in Star Wars - Roger Moore has more range than this actor. Pouting and whining does not represent the epic descent into evil that Lucas intended. Very poor.

Christophe Lambert - is rubbish in practically everything I've ever seen him in - even 'Highlander', even though I love the film.

Sigourney Weaver is very poor in everything she touches, I know everybody thinks they love her as Ripley, but seriously watch the performance rather than the sets and the monster. Olivier was of the opinion that an actor should turn up, deliver their lines and not bump into the scenery - Weaver can on average pull off one out of three.

Nicholas Cage in everything he's ever done - a truly shocking actor. But his ultimate crime has to be Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Everything else about that file was excellent but he destroyed it as a piece of film-making - dreadful.

David

Master
    Not too keen on DeCaprio in Gangs of New York...

Tom Hanks in Davinci code

De Niro - Frankenstein

List goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Nicholas Cage in everything he's ever done - a truly shocking actor. But his ultimate crime has to be Captain Corelli's Mandolin. Everything else about that file was excellent but he destroyed it as a piece of film-making - dreadful.

David
    Totally agree - and to cap it all off he seems to have done something unfortunate with his mouth that gives him the lower profile of a Bulldog.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    Totally agree - and to cap it all off he seems to have done something unfortunate with his mouth that gives him the lower profile of a Bulldog.
    He has the acting ability of a bulldog so hey, life imitating art.

Sly Stallone as Judge Dread is the worst.

Roger Moore - As "Bond"
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Roger Moore - As "Bond"
    What? Really? Moore was a brilliant Bond (tin hat on for incoming abuse). I'm a child of the 70s and grew up with Rog as 007 and I won't hear a bad word about the great man ;)

The RM as Bond question is an interesting one. He certainly bore no resemblance to Ian Fleming's Bond but I'd say he did a pretty good job of camping it up.

Moore at least was amusing with decent films as a whole.

The 90's Dredd movie was crap and Stallone as Dress was heresy.

David
    If you are going to be born talentless at least be born connected. He is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola - in fact born Nicolas Coppola but changed it to avoid "nepotism stigma".
    Gray

David
    He's actually very good in Leaving Las Vegas where he plays a drunk loser.

My contributions:
    Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. Somewhere in here is a great film fighting its way out only to be bludgeoned every time Costner opens his mouth.
    Melanie Griffith in A Stranger Among Us, a film which was buried in the UK for good reason. Directed by the once-great Sidney Lumet, it has a serious awfulness which will leave you breathless.
    Madonna in any film she has ever been in.
    Every single actor who has played Batman.
    Every single American actor who has played an Irishman. eg Tom Cruise in Far and Away. "Shannon, you're a corker"
    Jude Law in Alfie. Wrong, just Wrong.
    The film version of Bonfire of the Vanities where every single actor was miscast.

The entire cast of 'Sahara' - always though Jim Caviezel would make a good Dirk Pitt!

Javier bardem in Skyfall - reminded me of John Malkovich's character in Johnny English...

Liam Neeson as Hannibal in the A-Team.
    Last edited by Chris W; 6th February 2013 at 15:24.

Blog Entries
    I hear Stallone made a remake of Get Carter. I haven't seen and don't wanna see it. That's just plain wrong. As bad as a US Italian Job.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    However i would be giving the prize to whoever cast Micheal Keaton as Batman.

I suppose you think George Clooney was the better Batman?!

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Well, Keanu Reeves was cast as Buddha - that must be a winner right there?
    aiiii
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Sean Connery - The Hunt For Red October.
    F.T.F.A.

Most recently Tom Cruise as Claus Von Stauffenberg in 'Valkyrie' and Kristen Stewart as Snow White in 'Snow White and the Huntsman'. I could mention Megan Fox and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley but I'm prepared to overlook their shortcomings.

In hindsight OJ Simpson as Police Detective Norberg in The Naked Gun
    Last edited by mylofitz; 6th February 2013 at 15:44.

Master
    Surprised no one has mentioned Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia

just to remind you just how bad he really was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvTEvmhnAMk

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post

Never seen it before, but wow! Not just Pierce, that whole clip is shocking.

Craftsman
    Sarah Bolger as Mary Tudor in the series Tudors. I'm not particularly fussy about casting as a rule but when she appeared with her over-botoxed lips i was stunned that someone had cast her! it was so completely out of place. She'd have got it, though... actually she did get it, many times. Gotta love Tudors :)

Master
    Cruise has the height problem but at least brings his reputation for 'action' films.

A real tragedy is a fairly decent actor like Kevin Spacey bearing not the slightest physical, emotional or intellectual resemblance to Quoyle in 'The Shipping News'.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

Although he's held up as one of the better Bond's, surely Connery just plays himself in every film he's ever been in?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

You're all wrong!

It's Daryl Hannah in Wall Street, even Oliver Stone regrets it.

John Wayne in The Greatest Story Ever Told. "Truly, this man was the son of God."

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    Sarah Bolger as Mary Tudor in the series Tudors. I'm not particularly fussy about casting as a rule but when she appeared with her over-botoxed lips i was stunned that someone had cast her! it was so completely out of place. She'd have got it, though... actually she did get it, many times. Gotta love Tudors :)
    Surely not as bad as Joss Stone playing Anne of Cleves...?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    John Wayne in The Greatest Story Ever Told. "Truly, this man was the son of God."
    I've always liked the presumably apocryphal story about Wayne saying that line & the director (possibly an uncredited
    David Lean) telling him to do it again, but with some awe.

"Aawwwwww, truly, this man was the son of God"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    The new series "The following". The actor that plays the role of the main 'bad guy'.

Serial killer?, pah!, what a joke
    +1 to that, it's still a very watchable show though.

Ben Affleck in anything, but particularly the brilliant 'Dogma' in which he mispronounces words and fails to look like a professional actor at every level - especially next to Matt Damon who I think is pretty good in 99% of his roles.

No mention for Russell Crowe? He has made some passable movies, but his leading role in Robin Hood was watch-through-gap-in-fingers cringeworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post

My ears, my ears! They can never unhear that abomination!
    F.T.F.A.

My ears, my ears! They can never unhear that abomination!

At last , someone who has a worse voice than me.

Master
    Daniel Craig as Bond.

Craftsman

Inappropriate casting?

Connery was great in red October, but yes he just plays himself ref the untouchables.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pluseditor View Post
    Daniel Craig as Bond.
    I quite enjoy his portrayal, at least he looks like he might be able to hold his own in a fight. I guess we all have our favourite Bonds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    I quite enjoy his portrayal, at least he looks like he might be able to hold his own in a fight. I guess we all have our favourite Bonds.
    Very true. I can't stand him though.

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    Not too keen on DeCaprio in Gangs of New York...

Tom Hanks in Davinci code

De Niro - Frankenstein

List goes on!

Dicaprio in gangs of New York? What didn't you like?

Blog Entries
    Doubles to ints. It never ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Although he's held up as one of the better Bond's, surely Connery just plays himself in every film he's ever been in?
    Controversial, but I agree with that. I've argued with friends before before that Sean Connery just really plays the same character. He plays it well, he has charisma and presence, he's a "movie star", and can "act" in the sense of delivering lines and reacting as he would himself, but he doesn't really ever take on a different character. He's not the only big actor like this, to be fair.

Craftsman
    100% yes...took my suggestion out of my mouth!

Here are some casting decisions that I'd suggest were inappropriate...

Orlando Bloom – ‘Kingdom of Heaven’. The role called for someone who could command an army of hardened warriors in some of the bloodiest battles in history. The actor would need to convey tremendous charisma. The audience would need to believe that this man could inspire and lead. Think the oratory skills of the Winston Churchill combined with the physical command and prowess of a character like Maximus Decimus in the film, ‘Gladiator’. The producers picked the weedy, personality-less cherubic-faced actor, Orlando Bloom.

Denise Richards – ‘The World Is Not Enough’. Admittedly, Bond films don’t exactly strive for documentary-esque authenticity and realism. That said, an invisible Aston Martin or a wannbe dictator occupying a hollowed-out volcano with their private army both seem more palatable as real world possibilities than Denise Richards... as a nuclear physicist.

Keira Knightley – in pretty much anything

Marlon Brando – ‘Guys and Dolls’. Brando is my favourite actor. ‘On The Waterfront’ (for which he won his first Oscar) is my favourite film. Brando was arguably the most significant and “authentic” actor who worked in the 20th century. Marlon Brando couldn’t sing. Marlon Brando was cast in a musical. He was the lead alongside Frank Sinatra (who could sing a bit). Brando confessed that he couldn’t sing more than one note without going out of tune and that all of his vocal “performances” were painstakingly pieced together in the studio from multiple takes until something reasonable was produced (1950s studio trickery). Brando should have passed.

Jude Law – (see Keira Knightley)

Gerard Butler in almost every film he's been in (especially the leading man/romcom roles). He was good in 300 but that was almost cartoon-like with the CGI-enhanced bodies and scenes.

Agree with Cruise in Jack Reacher. He's simply not right and should have known it, but these films rarely get made without a big name attached.

The Dirk Pitt and Al Giordano actors in Sahara. As far from Clive Cussler's descriptions as you can get EXCEPT William H. Macy as Admiral Sandecker.

Willem Dafoe as John Clarke in Clear and Present Danger, especially if you have read what I think is one of Clancy's best books, Without Remorse. Dafoe is just not tough enough though I thought Liev Schreiber did a good job of playing John Clarke in The Sum Of All Fears.

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    Jude Law – (see Keira Knightley)
    I thought he was OK in Sherlock Homes, AI (playing a robot, lol) and Repo Men.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    Denise Richards – ‘The World Is Not Enough’
    Sorry but those boobs could not have been appropriately cast

Inappropriate casting?

Willem Dafoe in Platoon. Just watched it again recently, and he looked completely wrong. He should never play the good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I thought he was OK in...AI (playing a robot, lol)...
    Hmm, perhaps an appropriate casting decision after all - Jude Law was a good choice to play a robot, one which was trying to imitate a human character but wasn't totally convincing at doing so.

Perhaps it is reasonable to say that Steven Spielberg was inspired in casting Jude Law in 'A.I.' in the same way that James Cameron was inspired in casting Arnold Schwarzenegger as a humourless monosyllabic robot in 'Terminator'!