closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: on my way to hull to pick up my grail!

Craftsman
    Thanks a lot for the positive feedback. I know from previous threads on FF that the dark knight version is a bit of a marmite watch but my first impressions are very positive. I suppose the strap is a bit thin and doesnt match the quality feel of the rest of the piece but that can be easily remedied (provided I find the right allen key to undo the strap screws). I also expected the lume to be quite weak, and that is indeed the case. But I suppose you wouldnt go diving with this so not a huge problem.

Incidentally I can recommend the jeweller. They seemed very reasonably priced and had quite a range of discounted bell & ross watches. I tried taking a picture but the price tickets dont show up very well. I'll see if I can post it, may be of interest to someone.

Master
    A BP FF and in black as well. Looks good.

Craftsman
    congrats..
    looks very nice...

Amazing looking watch, enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the positive feedback. I know from previous threads on FF that the dark knight version is a bit of a marmite watch but my first impressions are very positive. I suppose the strap is a bit thin and doesnt match the quality feel of the rest of the piece but that can be easily remedied (provided I find the right allen key to undo the strap screws). I also expected the lume to be quite weak, and that is indeed the case. But I suppose you wouldnt go diving with this so not a huge problem.

Incidentally I can recommend the jeweller. They seemed very reasonably priced and had quite a range of discounted bell & ross watches. I tried taking a picture but the price tickets dont show up very well. I'll see if I can post it, may be of interest to someone.
    Just to say I do not regard the Dark Knight as a Marmite watch but that within the Fifty Fathom range there are others that have wider appeal. I prefer the contrast of polished steel on the case to the black bezel and dial. There is nothing to dislike about the black version, unless you don't like black!

I really like the black version, one of the benefits I think is it minimises the Blancpain engraving on the side & the display back is lovely with the "bubbles" on the rotor - are all the movement parts also blackend or did I make that up ? I agree with you regarding the strap especially as all the FFs I have seen have not had deployants either. although I really think the sailcloth strap suits the watch - my JLC Navy Seals came with the leather strap & I put it on a bracelet which I prefer both from the looks as is more "fitted" to the case but also from the security point of view so it may be worth researching deployant options if yours doesn't have one as Blancpain have a lovely deployant that looks just like a pin buckle which would also make the strap last longer.

It may be because I am so used to deployants/bracelets but I found strapping on a fairly heavy watch a bit of a worry so do be cautious if you are used to these sort of closures as I actually dropped my JLC watch - fortunately was over the bed so no harm done !

I think the black is a great choice & I would have chosen over the black & admire the attention to detail of black lume etc.

Master

on my way to hull to pick up my grail!

Congrats!
    Beautiful watch. I'd like to have one.
    Maybe someday...

Lovely watch

I know nothing about BP. Is a FF just a general line of watches like 'we' have the submariner in Rolex?

Wow! Just WOW!
    I was also thinking about a FF homage, doubt I'll ever get the real deal though!
    Well done!

Master
    Gentlemen, I present for your approval.. the Blancpain fifty Fathoms Dark Knight...

Excuse the crappy wristshot - am on a moving train!

IMHO Absolutely exquisite attention to detail and craftmanship. The dial almost pops out and the crystal is so clear and vivid it looks as though it isn't there.

Thanks to Ryan from London who alerted me to the watch through his thread, and I contacted Claire at Hugh Rice to do the deal...

Stunning! I love the DK version - certainly my favourite version of the FF with the muted bezel. Wear in good health!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Looks great . Congratulations.
    I am picking up a new FF either tomorrow or Friday, coincidentally

Craftsman
    Gentlemen, I present for your approval.. the Blancpain fifty Fathoms Dark Knight...

IMHO Absolutely exquisite attention to detail and craftmanship. The dial almost pops out and the crystal is so clear and vivid it looks as though it isn't there.

Thanks to Ryan from London who alerted me to the watch through his thread, and I contacted Claire at Hugh Rice to do the deal...

i keep coming back to this thread just to see it again...

:)

very jealous....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Looks great . Congratulations.
    I am picking up a new FF either tomorrow or Friday, coincidentally
    That's excellent! Which FF are you going for?

When you pick it up, if it's from an AD, see if you can get any info on the deployment buckle (part no, price, etc). I am assuming yours will be on the sailcloth strap too, with the tang buckle.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's excellent! Which FF are you going for?

When you pick it up, if it's from an AD, see if you can get any info on the deployment buckle (part no, price, etc). I am assuming yours will be on the sailcloth strap too, with the tang buckle.
    Mine is the 5015-3630-52 in RG
    It is on Black alligator but has the sailcloth strap as well. I wanted both. I would like a deployant, not terribly fond of tangs. I will find out about them and let you know.

Apprentice
    Congrats on the grail

great bargain and great watch! huge congrats mate.

The OEM straps are quite thin, but they're well-made, and very quick-drying. I use Hirsch WR straps on my FF - the first two pic's in the Carbon, which is quite substantial, and dries really quickly, the third is the Marine which is a big thinner and softer, but still has the WR lining. The final one is the Bradystraps Canvas - this needs cutting down (unlike the Hirsch), and is a thicker alternative to the OEM - but really doesn't dry very well.

Master
    Love this beauty could easily be a grail for many of us.

A stunning watch.

Craftsman
    The dark knight is something else. Congrats!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    The OEM straps are quite thin, but they're well-made, and very quick-drying. I use Hirsch WR straps on my FF - the first two pic's in the Carbon, which is quite substantial, and dries really quickly, the third is the Marine which is a big thinner and softer, but still has the WR lining. The final one is the Bradystraps Canvas - this needs cutting down (unlike the Hirsch), and is a thicker alternative to the OEM - but really doesn't dry very well.

Thanks for that very informative post robcat. Great watch too - I think I would have equally been happy with this version.

Are you please able to advise on the following:

1) The lug width is 23mm, so presumably you get the 24mm bradystrap and trim it a bit? or do you go for the 22mm?
    2) I understand the hex/allen key needed to undo the strap is 0.9mm - is that right?
    3) if I use the allen key to undo the strap screws, do you think it will remove some of the black paint off the screw tips (if you see what I mean?)
    4) do you use deployment clasps with any of your straps? if so, do you have any details/recommendations?

Highly impressive, a very rare beauty!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Mine is the 5015-3630-52 in RG
    It is on Black alligator but has the sailcloth strap as well. I wanted both. I would like a deployant, not terribly fond of tangs. I will find out about them and let you know.
    Wow - the RG version is in a different league, both looks and price wise!

Please post some pics when you pick up the watch. I've only ever see promotional shots of this version, never a real photo or in the flesh...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow - the RG version is in a different league, both looks and price wise!

Please post some pics when you pick up the watch. I've only ever see promotional shots of this version, never a real photo or in the flesh...
    I am now picking it up tomorrow. I will post an incoming thread tomorrow with some photos

Outstandinga very nice piece indeed. Enjoy!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    beautiful - love the sapphire bezel

Thanks for that very informative post robcat. Great watch too - I think I would have equally been happy with this version.

Are you please able to advise on the following:

1) The lug width is 23mm, so presumably you get the 24mm bradystrap and trim it a bit? or do you go for the 22mm?
    2) I understand the hex/allen key needed to undo the strap is 0.9mm - is that right?
    3) if I use the allen key to undo the strap screws, do you think it will remove some of the black paint off the screw tips (if you see what I mean?)
    4) do you use deployment clasps with any of your straps? if so, do you have any details/recommendations?
    It much better to go for 24mm, and cut down if neccessary - the Hirsch just give enough to sit nicely though - even a 1mm gap would look odd if you went 22mm.

0.9mm hex is bang-on. If the screws have been blackened, there is a chance you'll affect them, no matter how careful you are but I suppose it depends on the treatment.

Mine came with the OEM normal buckle - I have tried it with a cheap double-fold delpoyant, but I quite like the Hirsch buckle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    Love this beauty could easily be a grail for many of us.
    Seconded. Congratulations!

Craftsman
    It much better to go for 24mm, and cut down if neccessary - the Hirsch just give enough to sit nicely though - even a 1mm gap would look odd if you went 22mm.

0.9mm hex is bang-on. If the screws have been blackened, there is a chance you'll affect them, no matter how careful you are but I suppose it depends on the treatment.

Mine came with the OEM normal buckle - I have tried it with a cheap double-fold delpoyant, but I quite like the Hirsch buckle anyway.
    Thanks for that - the screws have been blackened on mine, which is a concern. When you undid your screws was it for the first time? Did you need to apply a lot of torque to unscrew (for example did blancpain use loctite or did they unscrew quite easily?)

They took a bit of a twist to undo, but nothing excessive - I don't think they are loctite'd from the factory. I was quite wary as Mr Stoat had a bit of a nightmare with his FF - he threaded a screw IIRC - but I've changed my straps numerous times now, and not had any issues. Probably best not to loctite them IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Nice work... a fun thread... with plenty of tease and a happy ending!

ENJOY!

+1

Craftsman
    They took a bit of a twist to undo, but nothing excessive - I don't think they are loctite'd from the factory. I was quite wary as Mr Stoat had a bit of a nightmare with his FF - he threaded a screw IIRC - but I've changed my straps numerous times now, and not had any issues. Probably best not to loctite them IMO.
    quite right.

i think it would more than likely be hand tight. can't see the need for loctite blue as it would only be needed for serious vibration. god forbid trying to undo with a 0.9mm hex key if it was secured with blue loctite, even worse if someone used loctite red. i think if it was secured with any loctite then with such a small hex key the only result would be a rounded off screw head.

Craftsman
    Great to see another BP FF to relieve the 'another Rolex sports overload '. Congratulations on a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Highly impressive, a very rare beauty!!
    Agreed that is stunning!

Craftsman

Now that's what i call a watch !! BP all the way. Enjoy it

Craftsman
    Nice!! VERY nice!

Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    quite right.

i think it would more than likely be hand tight. can't see the need for loctite blue as it would only be needed for serious vibration. god forbid trying to undo with a 0.9mm hex key if it was secured with blue loctite, even worse if someone used loctite red. i think if it was secured with any loctite then with such a small hex key the only result would be a rounded off screw head.

Yes. Also, you can feel if the bolt is not completely tight as it sticks out from the lug slightly, rather than being completely flush. The system may be a bit fiddly, but it is pretty secure.

Wow congrats! Glad I could be of use 😊Enjoy it - I tried it on in person and it's a belter

Thanks for that - the screws have been blackened on mine, which is a concern. When you undid your screws was it for the first time? Did you need to apply a lot of torque to unscrew (for example did blancpain use loctite or did they unscrew quite easily?)
    I would suggest you buy a high quality allen key or allen bit for a screwdriver - such as this one - expensive but at least should fit perfectly. Is too small to wrap tape round so would go for the best fit you can get - http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/09mm...12-p-6964.html

Master
    Great pick up - on my doorstep too :)

Master
    I agree that the OEM sailcloth strap is quite thin and does not hold the watch very well. It is comfortable though.

That is lovely. These FF's are a modern classic.

Craftsman
    never seen the dark night before.looks amazing! is the lume as strong as the standard model?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin View Post
    never seen the dark night before.looks amazing! is the lume as strong as the standard model?
    No it certainly isn't as strong as the standard model - in fact it is hardly there (it has what some refer to as "black lume").

Very nice watch. Congratulations.

Congrats! This is stunning! Wear it in good health!