closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Never wash a NATO strap ...

Hybrid View

Never wash a NATO strap ...

Never wash a Nato strap ... when it's still attached to the watch!

I inadvertently left my original Falklands issue Precista W10 quartz in my trouser pocket and thus it went through a longish wash cycle at 60ᴼ. I heard something banging against the washing machine drum and window and should have realised what it was but was too busy to twig what had happened. Long story short, after the spin cycle the watch was discovered in the rubber door seal and not working. However, after removing the battery compartment screw and leaving it dial down on the radiator for approx 1 hour it is working again - but still has some moisture condensed on the glass. This watch must have nine lives - it's been dropped, crushed, and immersed several times previously but always kept perfect time. As it had stopped after its laundering I looked up the replacement cost on the Anchor Supplies website - £145 - which is double the figure I paid over 5 years ago. Now remains to be seen if all the moisture can be 'warmed' out of the case but I'm optimistic; it's my favourite daily wearer. THe watch must have stopped at 20.58 - it was taken out the washing machine at approx. 22.30.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Re: Never wash a NATO strap ...

Leave the battery out and the case open and sit it in a bag of uncooked rice - that will suck all the moisture out of your fragrantly clean watch ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Leave the battery out and the case open and sit it in a bag of uncooked rice - that will suck all the moisture out of your fragrantly clean watch ;)
    Thank you ... I will buy some rice tomorrow ... battery is already out ... it was put back in after the first drying session to see if the watch would work ... surprisingly the second hand started moving ... the watch is still 'dial down' on a piece of paper on top of the radiator ... all the condensation inside the glass now appears to have evaporated.

dunk

Pop out the snap back with a knife; you will have more chance to save your watch...

Sometimes you can snap it back by yourself, but even if you have to ask a watchmaker to do it you will have all the moisture removed...

And I would say : never let a watch in your pocket; you'd better wear two watches that loosing one in the washing machine or elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent B View Post
    Pop out the snap back with a knife; you will have more chance to save your watch...

Sometimes you can snap it back by yourself, but even if you have to ask a watchmaker to do it you will have all the moisture removed...

And I would say : never let a watch in your pocket; you'd better wear two watches that loosing one in the washing machine or elsewhere...
    Thank you. I don't think I could get a knife into the join without damaging the case.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Thank you. I don't think I could get a knife into the join without damaging the case.

dunk
    Ask your watchmaker to do it for you if you want to save your watch; the moisture is bad for the movement as well for the dial...

Craftsman
    Just read through whole thread- great news for such an iportant watch to you.

Wear in good health -oh and don't do it again ;)

How he open Precista and clean movement?

Quote Originally Posted by fotopetar View Post
    How he open Precista and clean movement?
    The opposite way to which it was assembled ... TTBOMK it snaps apart.

dunk

Ouch! Good advice!

I wonder if its improved it slightly by ageing the lume a little bit more? :-)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Never wash a Nato strap ... when it's still attached to the watch!

I inadvertently left my original Falklands issue Precista W10 quartz in my trouser pocket
    I never really understood why the Army would issue a watch that wasn't waterproof... its not like squaddies get wet. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by wilton69 View Post
    I never really understood why the Army would issue a watch that wasn't waterproof... its not like squaddies get wet. At all.
    Holy thread bump!

Welcome to the forum ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Holy thread bump!

Welcome to the forum ;)
    Sign of the times........ I was more shocked that the wash temperature was at 60.

washing your nato

So I bought a watch - and it came with some grubby natos - figured I would wash them, then promptly realised after several years of owning watches I had never tried to wash a nato - so I kinda went left field . I stuck them with tape to the top shelf of my dishwasher lol
    Result was impressive - they came out like new. Just ffs don't tell my wife. he thinks I'm nuts enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Sign of the times........ I was more shocked that the wash temperature was at 60.