closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Never wash a NATO strap ...

Never wash a NATO strap ...

Never wash a Nato strap ... when it's still attached to the watch!

I inadvertently left my original Falklands issue Precista W10 quartz in my trouser pocket and thus it went through a longish wash cycle at 60ᴼ. I heard something banging against the washing machine drum and window and should have realised what it was but was too busy to twig what had happened. Long story short, after the spin cycle the watch was discovered in the rubber door seal and not working. However, after removing the battery compartment screw and leaving it dial down on the radiator for approx 1 hour it is working again - but still has some moisture condensed on the glass. This watch must have nine lives - it's been dropped, crushed, and immersed several times previously but always kept perfect time. As it had stopped after its laundering I looked up the replacement cost on the Anchor Supplies website - £145 - which is double the figure I paid over 5 years ago. Now remains to be seen if all the moisture can be 'warmed' out of the case but I'm optimistic; it's my favourite daily wearer. THe watch must have stopped at 20.58 - it was taken out the washing machine at approx. 22.30.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Re: Never wash a NATO strap ...

Leave the battery out and the case open and sit it in a bag of uncooked rice - that will suck all the moisture out of your fragrantly clean watch ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Leave the battery out and the case open and sit it in a bag of uncooked rice - that will suck all the moisture out of your fragrantly clean watch ;)
    Thank you ... I will buy some rice tomorrow ... battery is already out ... it was put back in after the first drying session to see if the watch would work ... surprisingly the second hand started moving ... the watch is still 'dial down' on a piece of paper on top of the radiator ... all the condensation inside the glass now appears to have evaporated.

dunk

Pop out the snap back with a knife; you will have more chance to save your watch...

Sometimes you can snap it back by yourself, but even if you have to ask a watchmaker to do it you will have all the moisture removed...

And I would say : never let a watch in your pocket; you'd better wear two watches that loosing one in the washing machine or elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent B View Post
    Pop out the snap back with a knife; you will have more chance to save your watch...

Sometimes you can snap it back by yourself, but even if you have to ask a watchmaker to do it you will have all the moisture removed...

And I would say : never let a watch in your pocket; you'd better wear two watches that loosing one in the washing machine or elsewhere...
    Thank you. I don't think I could get a knife into the join without damaging the case.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Thank you. I don't think I could get a knife into the join without damaging the case.

dunk
    Ask your watchmaker to do it for you if you want to save your watch; the moisture is bad for the movement as well for the dial...

Good tip never to put a watch in your pocket - after that previous thread about some poor guy who left his Speedy Pro in his pocket and then it went into the washing machine.

A friend of mine has experienced the same situation with a modern... Breguet Type 20....

Full washing machine cycle, the Breguet lost two pushers and was soaked; he had to pay an heavy bill for repairing it...

:(

Ask your watchmaker to do it for you if you want to save your watch; the moisture is bad for the movement as well for the dial...
    The watch needs a new glass ... add the cost of a service and it becomes an uneconomical repair i.e. I could probably buy another for less. Much as I am very attached to the watch, it was always a daily beater to be used and worn and take whatever punishment was accidentally thrown at it - rather than risk my more valuable watches. As a beater, it has exceeded all expectations as regards resilience - especially as it has now survived a full wash cycle including a 1200rpm spin. There was no water sloshing about inside the watch after its submersion - the only sign of moisture was the fog on the inside of the glass. If the movement had been drenched I doubt if it would have restarted. If it continues working after all the moisture has evaporated so be it ... if it fails to continue working I'll sell it for a nominal sum WAF to anyone who needs one for parts ... and then I'll buy another. The reason I posted the story is to show that it is a very tough watch and well worth considering if anyone wants to buy a good daily beater - they are offered for sale fairly regularly.

dunk

That's true, CWC G10 are very good daily wearer !

:)

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Good tip never to put a watch in your pocket - after that previous thread about some poor guy who left his Speedy Pro in his pocket and then it went into the washing machine.
    Yes ... I'll never do that again; lesson learnt

dunk

Sorry to hear the news, dunk.

I've experienced the same error a couple of years ago: Sub in pocket of trousers which SWMBO put into the wash - thankfully no water ingress or damage done and it certainly came up clean!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

And they cost just £60 ... one of the best value watches available.

Or, you could buy Eddie's PRS-10 version which is built to a much higher spec. i.e. 100 meter water resistance, date, screw down crown and 10 year battery life.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 29th January 2013 at 13:05.

You could keep the case as a base for a transplant? It was, as you said, a historical year for British issued watches..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You could keep the case as a base for a transplant? It was, as you said, a historical year for British issued watches..
    Keeping perfect time now - and the strap looks very clean!

dunk

Excellent!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Great, those CWC, even early ones, are huge !!

That reminds me the tests submitted to Casio G shock : boiling them, frozing them, hitting them etc.

Immediately after the wash and spin cycle

After drying out with the battery cover removed to make sure all the moisture evaporated

Although the watch is running fine, there are residual stains under the crystal - definitely stains and not moisture - maybe caused by the 1200rpm spin cycle throwing some lube or foreign matter onto the glass.

I'm still amazed the watch survived the laundering.

dunk

EDIT: Just sent it off for an estimate ie service and new glass.
    Last edited by sundial; 30th January 2013 at 21:12.

And they cost just £60 ... one of the best value watches available.

Or, you could buy Eddie's PRS-10 version which is built to a much higher spec. i.e. 100 meter water resistance, date, screw down crown and 10 year battery life.

dunk
    That's what I'd do. I've owned loads of CWCs and several PRS-10s and I would go for the 10 every time.

Just back from service by Steve Burrage which included a new glass ... and has 6 month guarantee. I'm still amazed it survived the wash cycle and 1200 rpm spin; it's my daily wearer and hope it lasts another 5 years. The original NATO has been refitted rather than the grey replacement. A very tough watch and recommended to anyone who wants a reliable and accurate timepiece.

dunk

Craftsman
    Just read through whole thread- great news for such an iportant watch to you.

Wear in good health -oh and don't do it again ;)

How he open Precista and clean movement?

Quote Originally Posted by fotopetar View Post
    How he open Precista and clean movement?
    The opposite way to which it was assembled ... TTBOMK it snaps apart.

dunk

Ouch! Good advice!

I wonder if its improved it slightly by ageing the lume a little bit more? :-)

Yes it is. I had one issued to me and was a brilliant watch. Wish I still had it now to be honest, rather than my crappy Pulsar Chrono. Oh well, you live and learn!

Master

Just back from service by Steve Burrage which included a new glass ... and has 6 month guarantee. I'm still amazed it survived the wash cycle and 1200 rpm spin; it's my daily wearer and hope it lasts another 5 years. The original NATO has been refitted rather than the grey replacement. A very tough watch and recommended to anyone who wants a reliable and accurate timepiece.

dunk
    Looks good, so there is hope.

Master
    Lucky it didn't damage the dial.

Journeyman
    Thats one Durable watch huh

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Hunter View Post
    Thats one Durable watch huh
    Some things on this forum are very durable ... others not so

dunk

Glad to hear of the resolution to this - also some handy hints for dealing with moisture.

What a robust thing that watch is.

I use one of these to open up the G10 cases.It is the only tool that you can get a really good grip on to ensure that you do not slip and so damage the case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bergeon-Prem.../dp/B0080GQWW6

To close them up again, I use something like this with no problems

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools...skuId=11758916

If you are doing a glass change yourself try to keep originality by re using the original glass matt tension ring rather than the chrome rings seen on some refurbished watches

I am so glad that there was a happy ending. Steve is great. He saved a watch of mind a year a go.
    t.

Apprentice
    Never wash a Nato strap ... when it's still attached to the watch!

I inadvertently left my original Falklands issue Precista W10 quartz in my trouser pocket
    I never really understood why the Army would issue a watch that wasn't waterproof... its not like squaddies get wet. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by wilton69 View Post
    I never really understood why the Army would issue a watch that wasn't waterproof... its not like squaddies get wet. At all.
    Holy thread bump!

Welcome to the forum ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Holy thread bump!

Welcome to the forum ;)
    Sign of the times........ I was more shocked that the wash temperature was at 60.

washing your nato

So I bought a watch - and it came with some grubby natos - figured I would wash them, then promptly realised after several years of owning watches I had never tried to wash a nato - so I kinda went left field . I stuck them with tape to the top shelf of my dishwasher lol
    Result was impressive - they came out like new. Just ffs don't tell my wife. he thinks I'm nuts enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Sign of the times........ I was more shocked that the wash temperature was at 60.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post

Sadly, for me, the year of my birth as well. So whenever I try to find a birth year BMW the 1982 ones are way more expensive!

dunk
    UPDATE: After three years reliable running the watch occasionally stopped and the fault was not remedied by fitting new batteries … so it was sold via TZ UK SC 'with all faults' at a discounted £price … and replaced by a CWC G10 bought from Anchor Supplies.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 16th April 2017 at 15:39.