closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best value Submariner homage

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I wouldn't put the Glycine Combat sub in the homage bracket. It's a lovely watch, I have one myself, but it really doesn't bear any resemblance to the typical vintage subs.

Or am I being thick again?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359282539.728876.jpg

Combat Subs are not just copies without Rolex logos, but resemblance to Rolex is obvious...

http://www.glycine-watch.ch/glycine-...9fa4b6b402.jpg

Fortunately they have changed few details while keeping general Rolex look, so Glycine Subs look better to me than usual Rolex homage watches. With wearing 100% homage (copy) of Rolex (except logo) I would not feel much better than wearing replica.

Jarvis, Steinhart and Glycine are excellent choices. As are some of the Helson pieces. I would also suggest you have a look at Christopher Wards Trident. There isn't much love for CWL pieces over here but come and join in the discussion at the CW forum to get an idea of how the Trident is received.

Another alternative I wished I knew about sooner is Eddies PRS50 which I have seen looking lovely on mesh and strap. Not a submariner homage but still worth looking at.

Have a look at the Marcello c range ,great quality

Craftsman
    Not exactly a "homage" but close enough to have the look. At less than £40 a bargain and with the legendary M&S quality and returns policy!

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Autog...qid=1359284851

I have one and often wear it if I am doing stuff I would rather not wear my 5513 for.

Looking at the watch reviews I just loved this one from a reviewer tagged "LadyPenelope"

"The watch seemed well made and good quality and lived up to the photograph in the recent Christmas catalogue. It was dissappointing that you couldn't adjust the strap yourself although returning it for adjustment by post was free of charge it did mean that you were without the watch for over a week."

Dave
    Last edited by davestrong; 27th January 2013 at 12:19.

Master
    I would probably get a Marcello C Nettuno 3 first and then perhaps a Steinhart as a second choice. From what I have read, the Marcello is punching well above it's weight and doesn't look like all the companies who appear to have very similar cases and bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I would probably get a Marcello C Nettuno 3 first and then perhaps a Steinhart as a second choice. From what I have read, the Marcello is punching well above it's weight and doesn't look like all the companies who appear to have very similar cases and bracelets.
    I would go the Marcello C Nettuno route as well. I have had one since 2005, a Netto 2 in my case and am very pleased with it in all regards. Good value for the money.

Master
    This is a very nice one, it's a Politi ' Ocean Pro'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    I would go the Marcello C Nettuno route as well. I have had one since 2005, a Netto 2 in my case and am very pleased with it in all regards. Good value for the money.
    The Nettuno 3 will get a ceramic bezel upgrade this spring, and you can now order it without the cyclops, so it might be one to look out for.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    The Nettuno 3 will get a ceramic bezel upgrade this spring, and you can now order it without the cyclops, so it might be one to look out for.
    Where did you hear that? That would be interesting as my Nettuno 3 bezel is a bit scratched...

The Steinhart is a very good shout... though if you see a Kemmner 007 up for sale 2nd hand then I think that wins.

Or you can go and buy cheap Seiko Sea Urchin (SNZF17K1) which is actually a nice watch

http://uhrforum.de/attachments/74793...dsc08241-1.jpg

Master
    it's been said, Steinhart, job done, best value for money, quality is excellent for the money, look to be paying £250 for a minty one.

(Also have an Invicta, surprisingly good homage for pocket money, but a Miyota movement and a crappy thread on the crown, so stick with the excellent quality of the Steinhart.)

There are some vintage Heuers and Tag Heuers that are sub-like, but they tend to be very expensive or beaten.

However I found two Zodiacs from the same era which are more affordable:

http://www.zaslike.com/files/g5tcg5fj9zx42r2pg04a.jpg

http://s14.directupload.net/images/121112/kr9owuf2.jpg

Again, they are not exact copies...

But you can find some pieces more or less sub-like amongst vintage watches.

Hi

Thanks for all your replies and info. Should have mentioned that I'm after one the homages the original military submariner. So no date or cyclops. Any more ideas.

Thanks

Jarvis