closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed - how and where to sell some rather expensive watches?

Help needed - how and where to sell some rather expensive watches?

Alas, not mine (I will sell some of mine too, but that's another story, and they're not that expensive).

The father of a good friend of mine has acquired in the last 15 years or so 5 watches, all of them dressy, rectangular, most in 18 k gold: a Vacheron Caree Historique, a Piaget Altiplano, a Cartier Santos, a Bulgari and a Movado. According to the pictures I've seen, they are fairly well worn. Most of them do not have the B&Ps. This gentleman is not a WIS, and not at all aware on the need to keep these (the horror!). Anyhow, I don't think that he intended to sell them, until some recent circumstances.

So anyway, I've been asked if I could advise on where and how to sell them.

I don't think that TZ-UK is much of a choice, as 1. the 'local market' for gold, dressy watches is rather limited and 2. without B&P there will be an even smaller interest.

However, given that this friend of mine is working with McKinsey in the UK, my suggestion was to give it a shot with some pre-owned watches stores such as watches.co.uk

So here's the question - what are your suggestions in this case? Any course of action you would suggest? Some particular store that you would go for?

Thanks,
    Christian

Christian

I would give SC a spin first as there some on here (me included) who like the gold stuff and without b&p still sells - at the right price. Whatever he does, good luck.

Try Watchfinder.co.uk They're pretty good and have just reduced their commission back to 10%.

Thanks David, I've also received a PM along the same lines. I'll ask for some decent pictures and make some research in what matters the correct price, so as to maybe help sell a few of them over here.

Thanks also Dave, will check on it.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...n-Sales-Corner

All items offered for sale should be the property of the poster, not "sold on behalf of".

Fair enough, thanks for the reminder. Mind it though, none of the watches will be posted on the SC. Should any of the fellows here express an interest (as already happened), I hope it will not break the rules to put them in contact directly with the person owning the watches.

Still, my primary question regards UK brick and mortar stores with good reputation (preferably located in London), and I'm still looking for suggestions in this direction.

Thanks,
    Christian

Master
    I would love to see some pics of the Vacheron Caree Historique please, they are lovely

regards

tim
    Last edited by erasuretim; 27th January 2013 at 17:40.

Chrono24 or watchuseek draw a worldwide crowd for a bigger audience.

I sympathise with the seller OP as I too have been in the same boat with watches and cars. The buying market is limited with high end / v expensive watches, the knowledgable buyers with a watchmaker on hand will buy privately. Those less knowledgable may never have even heard the brand in which case they are most likely to buy from a dealer.

The issue with selling privately is to sell to a trusted buyer ! Even so I'd try and sell privately first, trading the watch to a dealer second. Another thought is to find a local jeweller that also sell second hand products, ask if you can stick the watches in the window and give them a cut of the sale.

It took a while, but finally here are some rather pedestrian pics.

NB: I do not sell the watches, not even on my friend's behalf. Should you be interested, it will be my pleasure to put you in touch.

Cheers,
    Christian