closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only 1 watch in your current collection -Which one & why?

the 16760 on the right not because its my favourite of the ones i own but its the best everyday wearer
    can take everything life throws at it and then some.

its far from mint but its mines and its the complete useable piece for me
    and the way i live my life now

Banned
    The Omega SM300.

Why?

It's as close to military sword hand perfection as I could ever realistically afford and be happy to wear, built with great skill and care by one of our own members, fantastic DNA yet truly useable for every day use, fabulously accurate and looks fandabidozy on Nato, rubber, bracelet, leather or mesh.

Photo M Cockett.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Many of us watch nuts own more than one watch because we like to collect. Of all the watches you own which one would you keep if you could only have the choice of one, and why?

For me it would have to be the Omega 376.0822. I fell in love with the Sinn 156 because of the Lemania 5100 movement and the Speedy "Grail" was always going to be my iconic choice. Having owned and sold 3 in the past (not sure what I was thinking!) I am happy to have this one as my one and only, if needs must.

That's a great choice - and if I had it in my collection, and was willing to get it wet, it would be mine, too.

Of my small collection - Speedy Pro, Seamaster Pro Quartz 2264 and Fortis LE, I'd find any of the three easy to live with and versatile enough to be the one and only; like you I love the Lemania 5100 movement and the combination of that with 200m WR and a dive bezel, coupled with a very legible display, would make my Fortis Cosmonaut Chrono LE, the last one out of the door...

Apprentice
    Boring I know but Sub C. Almost the perfect watch.

This as it's such a great all round watch for literally anything!

EZM 2

Mark

Probably this..

Craftsman
    There would have to be a very good reason for me to have just one watch and the only reason I can think of is a cash shortage, then I would sell everything except this Certina DS. Not everyone's cup of tea and to be honest not my favourite watch but If I had to sell up....

It's not valuable ( in our terms ), it's very robust, parts are still available and I can fix it myself.

Cheers
    Jim

Almost at the one watch stage with this thing, Have worn nothing else since I got it three months ago. I have a Speedy, an SMP Bond, a couple of Breitlings in the watch box and almost, almost decided to wear one of them today. In the end, I stuck with the Sub... and fear that this continuation could become permanent!

This.

I know will not be to everyone's taste here but my introduction to Tag Heuer and my wedding present some 12 years ago

regards
    Tony

My Tudor Black Bay. It's the watch that has given me the most pleasure to look at of all I have ever owned.

Apprentice
    I want the first Omega Railmaster with broad arrows :)

Quote Originally Posted by MacRulez4Ever View Post
    I want the first Omega Railmaster with broad arrows :)

Hiya.

This thread is about the watch that you already have that you wont be selling

Wanted to buy is available but you may have to wait a little longer.

But yes Railmaster is a nice option.

regards
    T

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post

Hiya.

This thread is about the watch that you already have that you wont be selling

Wanted to buy is available but you may have to wait a little longer.

But yes Railmaster is a nice option.

regards
    T

Sorry did not read the topic well enough *my bad*

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Probably this..

Quality choice. The 556 with the baton dial is a watch that's free of weaknesses, I reckon.

Master
    Its got to be my speedy pro, first watch a got with my first proper pay-packet in 1990.

Journeyman
    I'm going to join the flock and say my sub date!

Omega 2254.50. After years of mocking people with expensive watches I suddenly "got it" and went searching for a "proper watch." Found I liked that discontinued smp, then spent a few months tracking down a decent one. And it's my only watch as I keep spending my speedmaster fund on old cars!

Master
    It would have to be this. Having retired from the Army in June last year I always wanted something that would last and give me pleasure both to look at and to wear and knew that I would probably never be-able afford one again. But now I have it I rarely wear it, pretty ironic.

Master
    I'll play. I'm thinning my collection down to 3 as we speak. If there had to be one, it would be my 3228 as I bought thing for my wedding day.

HAGWE

Ooh, this was a hard one, I have two watches I'd never sell, due to sentimental reasons, so I've excluded both of those...

From the regular collection, I'd need something which would work with both formal and informal wear, look good on either a bracelet or leather. I thought that my Flightmaster would be the ideal watch

Then I remembered the times I tried to wear it under a shirt... That won't work, and a leather strap just wouldn't cut it on a Flighty. Move on...

I almost went for the SM300 , for much the same reason as Burnsey, the versatility of the watch is massive, and as mine is the same age as me, that also helps.

Then I realised that if I were shedding so much of the herd, it would have to be for financial reasons, so keeping an expensive watch would be irresponsible.

For feel-good reasons, I rejected all of the really cheap options, figuring that I'd want a watch with some heritage and a story to tell about itself, but it couldn't be too expensive, it had to be flexible in it's wearing options - leather or steel, smart or casual... There were a few choices, but I thought this was about the best of them all - it ticks all of the boxes for me, plus I'd need to wind it every morning, which would remind me of the engineering within the case, and why I love watches as much as I do.

I too was going to go with my favourite or a watch I'd find impossible to replace or sell.... However I'm going with this;

The reason?

Well I really didn't get IWC, I've seen them before, they did nothing for me, I got this in a trade, I thought I'd give it a go, if I hated it, it would be a painless flip etc, I can't belive it's become my do anything - wear all the time watch! It's been on my wrist in 1m off piste powder to diving and snorkelling off the Turkish coast!

If I could only have 1 it would have to be that, my vintage rolex's or omegas just can't go everywhere.

It would be difficult choice...

Probably this one because it is versatile and very comfortable.

Master
    Pretty easy, this one since it was given to me by my girlfriend. Also like it a lot, but for sentimental reasons more...

Master
    This one .......

Last edited by Dapper; 27th January 2013 at 15:41.

Blog Entries
    This one:

Because these days a watch is a luxury item. And also when I get old it will remind me not just the date, but also what day of the week it is - very useful for those awkward questions the doctors ask! It doesn't tell me who the prime minister(s) is / are. Does anyone know / care? (Rhetorical).

Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Another vote for....

Master
    Would have to be my Tudor Sub 79090 blue, had it since I was 17, has a bit of wabi as you'd expect for a 23 year old but wouldnt change that....

Banned

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    it would be my breitling soh 38.
    i just really like it.. the size and weight is perfect for me and its got some minor swirlies so i dont give a second thought about wearing it for anything.

My Grand Seiko SBGR053 as I bought it with a legacy from my grandmother to remember her (and my grandfather) by. Plus it's an ideal daily wearer at work as well as for smart occasions.

Master
    The definitive divers watch that is also my birth watch, a 5513 Sub.

Craftsman

Well it's to my taste..

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    This.

I know will not be to everyone's taste here but my introduction to Tag Heuer and my wedding present some 12 years ago

regards
    Tony
    Lovely watch.

For me, sub date 16610 LV.

Rolex Sub ND. Ideal for most occasions, iconic and good investment through time.

Quote Originally Posted by gregflat9 View Post
    Another vote for....

Mine would have to have a bracelet too! Looks great!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Same here:

Same here too.

It's completely beaten up, just the way he left it to me but still runs like a champ. I'll never restore it.

Interesting....I just went through a sell-off, and am trying the one watch. My GMT Master fits work and play. New enough to assure reliability and not worried about breaking it.

Re: Only 1 watch in your current collection -Which one & why?

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    Interesting....I just went through a sell-off, and am trying the one watch. My GMT Master fits work and play. New enough to assure reliability and not worried about breaking it.

What's up with the cyclops in that photo?! Otherwise looks great.

Blog Entries
    Easy. A reward to myself after three years of hard work:

Tough choice between my Broadarrow PRS3 & Damasko. I think it would be my Damasko DA36 - because it's a classic and harder than nails!

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    What's up with the cyclops in that photo?! Otherwise looks great.
    Reflection of a tree on the back patio on a grey winters day! Thanks, tho!

I'm seriously beginning to think it could be this. It's really beyond criticism of any sort, keeps near-perfect time (about 1s per day), is probably the greatest of this line from IWC, has a glorious movement, and can be smart or casual.

GMT Master.

It all I would keep and will, one day, be one of three watches I will keep until i'm very old. It will be the one on my wrist as I pass away!

The other two will be a 'dress watch' and a 'beater'

But i might not need a beater in my old age so it might just be two....

I thought I had this question sorted but I'm really struggling with this today.
    For years I have maintained that the Sea Dweller would be my only watch

But lately all i've been wearing is this 14060 and I think I might be starting to prefer it because of the slightly slimmer case and creamy tritium lume.

Let's face it, there really isn't that much to choose between them and since I can't really buy another until I let one go I'm going to have to decide eventually.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This is just about everything I need in a watch;