closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fitness question - Dedicated HRM watch v Iphone app

Fitness question - Dedicated HRM watch v Iphone app

I've recently bought a cheapo HRM but am considering a Garmin Forerunner 410 (and annoyingly missed one at the weekend in SC).

What are the benefits of a dedicated unit as opposed to a HRM and Iphone app? I have a Iphone 5 and use Runkeeper and Cyclemeter and gather you can link HRM's to these? I don't want to splash out on a Garmin if I can get the same/better use from my iphone?

My main goal is to improve my fitness and train 'better'.

Any thoughts? I've read a few posts about Heart Rate Monitor's and know the Garmin's are well respected, but just wonder about the comparison. Wasn't sure whether this should be in Watch talk or G&D to be honest.

Master
    I swapped to a Suunto Ambit from the iPhone mainly because I got fed up of always having the phone with me on the bike (I also use it for walking). On a longer ride I tend to take my phone anyway just in case I have to call the team car (wife) in the case of mechanical failure but if I'm just going for a quick blast I prefer to travel as light as possible. This time of year the phone is fiddly to operate with gloves on and if I'm on the mountain bike I tend to be muddy (although I do keep it in a waterproof wallet). Real time data is available easily, all the time on the watch.

Battery life is also an issue. The Ambit will do about 16 hrs (sampling GPS every second) but can go for days samping every 60 seconds. My iPhone running Strava isn't bad but I don't think I'd get much more than 8 hrs from it. I also like that the Suunto will record my progress whilst giving navigation information for routes that can be uploaded to the watch. I didn't have it at the time but this would have been very useful when a did a night time sportive before Christmas that had useless directions on the road.

In terms of fitness, watches like the Forerunner have training functions that you can adjust to suit your training goals. For example, you can race against a virtual partner and have the watch alert you when you fall outside of set lmits (heart rate, pace etc). Not sure if there are phone apps that do the same thing real time as you are exercising but it's much easier to glance at a watch than dig your phone out of your pocket.

Take a look at the reviews on this site. The guy does excellent in depth reviews of fitness devices and it will give you a feel for what they can do.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
    Last edited by benny.c; 23rd January 2013 at 11:32.

Master
    I also use a dedicated Garmin unit despite having an iPhone.

I prefer how rugged the Garmin is and the fact it it waterproof.

Good luck.

Master
    PS - if you are into running and cycling, I'd suggest a Garmin 310XT. I have one and it is fantastic. Currently available for £150 for a totally reconditioned unit with a 12 month warranty (looks completely new to me) from Burrows GPS.

I was lucky enough to get a Polar RCX5 TDF for Christmas, great bit of kit, does cycling, running and swimming and all very well and then downloads it to your computor, but isn't cheap.

Journeyman
    I've used an iPhone and various apps for the past couple of years and recently bought a Garmin 910XT with HRM, the functionality and level of detail you get from the Garmin really is amazing. There's also the convenience of having a watch and easily accessible menus rather than having a phone strapped to your arm, and because it's waterproof I can use the Garmin for tracking details when I go swimming, kitesurfing etc.

I'm looking to do a triathlon this year so the Garmin's replaced my bike computer, I can also add accessories such as foot pod or cadence sensor for the bike, so one device does everything. Also I don't have to worry about battery life going out for a 4hr bike ride, walk etc, my iphone would struggle with more than around 4hrs constant GPS tracking, my watch will do around 20hrs.

Out door running or cycling then Garmin get the best press. indoor gym work and swimming etc. then I'd recommend Polar.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I fairly recently bought a Forerunner 410 and use it in addition to the iPhone 5. iPhone has my run keeper software on it for voice prompts etc, as well as my music, and I use the 410 to capture distance, speed etc.

The biggest difference between a dedicated watch and an iPhone is accurancy. The iPhone is consistently 'generous' with the distance I run in comparison to the 410. Not by much, maybe 5-10%, but over the course of a 10k run, it's pretty significant.

I'll still continue to use the iPhone, as I like the running apps, but if I had to choose just one for running, it'd be a dedicated watch.

Thanks all. Think I'll go down the route of the dedicated unit then. I had been looking at a Polar FT40 as its virtually half price at Decathlon but I do like the Garmin products.

Re: accuracy - I remember training for a 10k in 2009 and my iphone tracker back then (Nike GPS) seemed to be a little innacurate. I do take the phone out anyway as I use it for listening to podcasts occasionally but think the dedicated watch is the better option reading back some posts.

Quote Originally Posted by a900ss View Post
    PS - if you are into running and cycling, I'd suggest a Garmin 310XT. I have one and it is fantastic. Currently available for £150 for a totally reconditioned unit with a 12 month warranty (looks completely new to me) from Burrows GPS.
    Thanks. Do you know how this unit compares against the forerunner 410? Burrows GPS are actually only a few miles from where I live (found them myself last night)

Thanks again all - help appreciated.

Journeyman
    Have a look here to compare the Forerunner features

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/ForerunnerComparison.pdf

Main feature of the 310XT and 910XT is they're fully waterproof, as in you can wear them swimming etc. whereas the others are splash-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Take a look at the reviews on this site. The guy does excellent in depth reviews of fitness devices and it will give you a feel for what they can do.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
    Thanks for this - only just had a proper look now back on the laptop. What an excellent site/resource!

Quote Originally Posted by mrw_y2k View Post
    Have a look here to compare the Forerunner features

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/ForerunnerComparison.pdf

Main feature of the 310XT and 910XT is they're fully waterproof, as in you can wear them swimming etc. whereas the others are splash-proof.
    Thanks for this. Actually had a look at a 310XT and 410 earlier (only through a display case) and the 310 is too big for me. Shame as the features seem fantastic

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Thanks for this - only just had a proper look now back on the laptop. What an excellent site/resource!
    The guy certainly knows how to do a thorough review! One more advantage over using the phone by the way; It's another watch (albeit a rather geeky one)

I have just sent a 910xt back. It's lack of consistency and accuracy at measuring lengths/stroke count/stroke type/stroke rate in the pool was a joke. I spoke to a couple of other people and they said the same. Worked fine as a run watch.

Craftsman
    I have a 310XT - fantastic watch. Does everything you need. Forget the iPhone.

I've ordered a 410 plus a cycle mount. As I say the 310xt seems superb and the price at burrows is excellent but its just too big for my small wrists!

Thanks for all the advice - see this as another motivation purchase to help me crack on this year.

Cheers

Master
    Forget the specs, forget which is better on paper, get one that motivates you to do what you want to do.

Good luck.

(I started running and cycling again at the turn of the year after an absence and have already lost a stone).

Quote Originally Posted by a900ss View Post
    Forget the specs, forget which is better on paper, get one that motivates you to do what you want to do.

Good luck.

(I started running and cycling again at the turn of the year after an absence and have already lost a stone).
    Thanks - ditto here - bought a new MTB at beginning of month, back in the gym and wanting to get back out running - not run for a few years.

Lost 11lb myself since beginning of year - this is for an extra motivation boost to get my fitness level up (aiming to lose another 1-2 stone)