closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What is the right size this time round?

Master

What is the right size this time round?

After a recent thread on what size PO I should get, I have a similar question on another watch. This is more relevant as the name implies that there is only one answer. However my wrist is just over 6.5 inches, so any thought will be welcome?

What size should a Hublot Big Bang be?

Banned
    At 44mm and 16mm tall the BB will look pretty big, it might not be comfortable for long term wearing.

It all comes down to personal taste, but I would generally avoid anything >42mm for my 6.5ish wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    It all comes down to personal taste, but I would generally avoid anything >42mm for my 6.5ish wrist.
    I generally avoid anything bigger than 42mm on my 7.5" wrist, but it's all down to personal tastes. I don't want a watch to dominate and I don't want it to make that much of a statement; I find 38 to 40mm to be my personal sweet spot, but I'll happily wear a 36mm first gen Carrera too. I never bought into the trend for bigger and bigger watches.

I've got a BB, just posted a pic in the Gold Watch thread and I'm sure it was a 42. Have to say, its probably one of the most comfy watches I wear so I'd say go for it. I've not got massive wrists, south of 7 in so you should be fine.

If you went for the KP, thats a bit bigger, but it also sits alot higher than the BB, or it certainly feels that way.

Malc

Master
    Thanks, it will be between 42mm and 44mm. The difference between the Hublot and Omega is that there is a significant price premium on going larger.

My other question is should the casing be in SS or ceramic? I like the ceramic but find the bezel then blends in, rather than contrast of materials!

I would never base a watch choice on a diameter specification. So many more factors in the design than that will combine, with an individuals wrist, to determine whether or not a watch looks right or feels right. Whatever looks good and feels good to you is the right choice. I appreciate that a smaller wrist has less potential good fits than a larger one but nonetheless even then a "flat" wrist will wear the same watch different to a "round" one - factor in size of hand... size of forearm etc and the combinations of what's right and what's not are myriad.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    Thanks, it will be between 42mm and 44mm. The difference between the Hublot and Omega is that there is a significant price premium on going larger.

My other question is should the casing be in SS or ceramic? I like the ceramic but find the bezel then blends in, rather than contrast of materials!
    That's a tricky one for me. The original Black Magic had it all for me - cool looks, great design - but no doubt it did lose some of the architectural appeal of the designs where, essentially, you are looking at the construction of the case. On balance, and right now, I'd go ceramic.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    I’d have to agree to this and depending on the lugs I’d even tend to stick between the 36-40 mm range.

Hublot's are not to my taste but my mate has one and it looks a bit too big for his ~7 inch wrist. Wouldn't tell him that though!

Master
    There does seem to be a limit to size. We should have signs like height and width restrictions.

Overall it looks like 41mm is preferable and maybe it should not be called the Big Bang!

Master
    Gray is right to say that it just depends. Though having said that, in my case, with wrists a bit under 6.5", I have yet to find even a 42mm watch that looks right on me. I can just about pull off a Seamaster f300 diver at 41mm, though ony due to the large case with smaller diving bezel with smaller still dial. I suppose the Hublot is a bit like that, but I'd still be surprised if the 44mm worked.

But the short answer is, would you really think of spending that amount without trying it on first and knowing for sure?
    Last edited by Itsguy; 15th January 2013 at 15:39.

Master

What is the right size this time round?

Hi,

I'd also consider the size of the person. You might have a thin wrist, but if you are otherwise on the large side ie. tall, muscular etc. Even a bit bigger watch might look good on you. Just my two cents.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Gray is right to say that it just depends. Though having said that, in my case, with wrists a bit under 6.5", I have yet to find even a 42mm watch that looks right on me. I can just about pull off a Seamaster f300 diver at 41mm, though ony due to the large case with smaller diving bezel with smaller still dial. I suppose the Hublot is a bit like that, but I'd still be surprised if the 44mm worked.

But the short answer is, would you really think of spending that amount without trying it on first and knowing for sure?
    You are absolutely right in that I have to try them on. I looked at the PO 3 times before I bought. It is just the dealer can only hold one piece for me and I want to have an opinion from owners.

Max sizes are as follows unless you want to look like a little boy wearing his dads watch;

40mm for 6.5"
    42mm for 7"
    44mm for 7.5" or above

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    I generally find 44mm too large. THe only 44mm is maybe the Panerai Base which sits nice and flat on the wrist but the BB wears quite large (the 44mm ones).

Grand Master
    To be honest, there isn`t a right size; the OP's going to look ridiculous with a huge watch on a small wrist.

I`ve got small wrists (6.75") but fortunately I`ve also got good taste to match; vintage watches at 34mm, a couple of 36mm Rolexes and a couple of positively huge divers (Rolex Sub, 40mm and a SMP, 41mm) which wear plenty big enough on me.

Seriously, you have to accept the limitations of your wrist size; there's no point in looking silly with a watch that's too big.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    To be honest, there isn`t a right size; the OP's going to look ridiculous with a huge watch on a small wrist.

I`ve got small wrists (6.75") but fortunately I`ve also got good taste to match; vintage watches at 34mm, a couple of 36mm Rolexes and a couple of positively huge divers (Rolex Sub, 40mm and a SMP, 41mm) which wear plenty big enough on me.

Seriously, you have to accept the limitations of your wrist size; there's no point in looking silly with a watch that's too big.

Paul
    Thanks again Paul. I agree that a watch which is too big is not good.

So it is looking like 41mm. I am worried about how 44mm will wear on my wrist.

Ok the BB has been my grail for a long time and may even be coming close to fruition... Maybe. I have exactly the same problem as you suggest above, small wrists. So last year in Paris I tried a 44mm BB on and... It was clownishly large. Not so much the face as I wear a 44mm JLC which wears small but the shoulders. Since they're fixed and extend over the edges it made the watch look huge. Cue BB going off my grail list.

Fast forward to my return from holiday and mooching in T1 in heathrow, WoS have hublot... Hmmm. Tried a 41mm and completely different watch. Significantly smaller (dare I say almost too small?) but wore a lot more realistically. So on balance I would suggest 41mm.

And just to further muddy the waters I got a wrist shot of someone on here with a 44mm BB and it look a good size. I purchased one of my current watches from him so can compare wrist shots so I would now say even a 44mm doesn't look huge. On balance though I'd go with the 41mm.

I went for a 44mm Steel Ceramic, as I love the contrast and layer effect...

I've a 7.5" wrist and 44mm is my preferred size. But I think the lug arrangement would make it rather uncomfortable on a 6.5" wrist, but there's no substitute for actually trying one on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    I went for a 44mm Steel Ceramic, as I love the contrast and layer effect...

I've a 7.5" wrist and 44mm is my preferred size. But I think the lug arrangement would make it rather uncomfortable on a 6.5" wrist, but there's no substitute for actually trying one on.
    Very helpful. It is that lug / strap arrangement that is worrying me, especially on a large piece. Had similar problem with the Royal Oak, Ingenieur and others due to that reason.

To the OP. A genuine question. Can you comfortably afford to purchase the watch and not regret the purchase if its too big for you?

Grand Master
    Size alone isnt the factor, the shape of the case and the height of the watch are also factors, the larger dials are fine if they sit lower and spread the weight, for example I find a 47mm 372 or 305 to be a better fitting watch than a toppy watch like the 243.

All the talk of oversized being fashion is nonsense theres been a marginal mm increase over the last decade or two and 42mm is almost the normal with 37mm & 47mm catering for the reduced and larger market. All the talk makes you doubt but in reality they are personal preference and all highly wearable
    RIAC

depending what you need and when..morning or late night..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Hi,

I'd also consider the size of the person. You might have a thin wrist, but if you are otherwise on the large side ie. tall, muscular etc. Even a bit bigger watch might look good on you. Just my two cents.
    100% agree. the watch has to look right in the wider context and you can get away with far more if like me you are a "big unit"!

Master
    Unfortunately we are often influenced by perception and trend. You would think 3mm would not make much difference but it is the whole design, etc. I know which one should be the correct size but somehow you are swayed by other factors like resale values!