closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Them & Us

Journeyman

Them & Us

As somone at the very bottom of the watch collectors pile.....I sometimes feel, rightly or wrongly that there is a 'Them and Us' attitude with some collectors....not all of us can, or ever will be able to purchase one of the beautiful expensive watches that adorn this and other sites. It does feel at times that those of us who have to make do with the cheaper end of the market, are not taken seriously.

We are not all company directors, high earners or lottery winners. Some of the prices of quality watches amaze me, not so much the price of the superbly crafted watch, but the fact that someone actually has enough money to buy it and add it to an already extensive and expensive collection. I know its the same in every sphere of life, but I still feell we can be treated like second class collectors at times

EDIT
    I should have made it clear that the above comments were not a reflection on members of THIS forum, who I have always found to be friendly and sincere regardless of the grade of watch in question!!!
    Last edited by McKenzie; 13th January 2013 at 23:03.

Smile

Sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. There are dick's in every area, but this forum seems to be generally good guys.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How you feel is down to you, not others.

As an aside, I have quite a few expensive watches kicking around but have got the most pleasure the last few months getting a seiko 6105 and an Everest off Eddie!!!!

The price of the watch matters not to me.

Mike

Craftsman
    Not quite sure what you mean.

Have you experience of people being "sniffy" with you (for want of a better phrase), or do you just feel inadequate because your watches aren't as expensive as theirs? I don't own terribly expensive watches, but don't really feel like a second class citizen for that.

There are people on here who have SOOOO much more knowledge/ experience than I do, so at times I will be careful what I say/ask but that is simply so that I don't display my ignorance too obviously.

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.

Journeyman
    Nope, no chip on my shoulder and I wasnt infering that anyone from this forum was anything but a "good guy" I have not dealt with anyone here who has been anything but friendly and sincere.

And the price of ther watch doesnt bother me either, I like all the cheap watches I own.

My observation was just a general one and it seems more applicable in the high street than among the like minded folk that one encounters here....sorry I didnt make that very clear.....no offence was meant to other members of this forum.

Journeyman

Re: Them & Us

Not something I have noticed and I am at the bottom end aswell. Yes I wish I could afford more but love looking at expensive watches and something to aim for.

I personally couldn't care what someone thinks of purchases I make. I have to wear it not them and all that matters is that I like it.

I have an Invicta. I like it and couldn't give a damn what others think. I bought it from SC...

I've found this forum to be much more friendly than some of the others. I will never own a high end watch but I love to see pictures of them and read reviews on them from people who own them.

I also appreciate people taking the time to answer questions which show that I am very much a novice.

This forum is what you make of it. Take a trawl around the rest of the internet and then come back - it's by far one of the more balanced, informative and entertaining forums around. Many of the members are educated and experienced and have a genuine love of watches - regardless of value.

There was a thread started by James recently about a watch he bought for less than £20. Persevere and you'll see that the self-policing ethic is the closest you'll get to the philosopher kings espoused by Plato.

Or something. I may be over-analysing it. Anyway, you're in good company.

As far as watch collectors forums go, I think TZ is the least snobby place on the net. Members get just as much interest shown, and positive feedback when they post a pic of their latest Seiko, as those who post of their incoming Rolex.

Personally I often find vintage watches that cost just a few quid every bit as interesting as something costing thousands. My own collection reflects this and ranges from 1960's Timex to contemporary Audemars Piguet and the other usual, and unusual suspects.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I've found this forum to be much more friendly than some of the others. I will never own a high end watch but I love to see pictures of them and read reviews on them from people who own them.

I also appreciate people taking the time to answer questions which show that I am very much a novice.
    As I said I have have always found everyone here to be friendly, and have also had advice which was given when asked for, and it has always been given in a friendly sincere way, my observation wasnt directed at members of this forum....

I too love all the photos of high end watches and appreciate the workmanship of these lovely pieces....I wouldnt be a member here if I wasnt enjoying being here, ...once agin, my post was not directed at this forums members.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Exactly

I've got a few relatively valuable pieces, but they are nothing value-wise compared to some collectors. I've also had lots of pleasure from inexpensive watches over the years and still do.

OP - go along to a GTG and I'd bet you'll be welcomed, rather than made to feel in any way inferior.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

One of my all time fave's cost me £250....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I have an Invicta. I like it and couldn't give a damn what others think. I bought it from SC...

But on a more serious note, the enjoyment I get out of this interest is not related to the price tag of my watches.
    I love watches in all forms (well most anyway) and price ranges.

I must say I havent experienced a lot of snobbery/attitude related to price over the years.
    Brand snobbery and "fanboyism" (in all price ranges, high as well as low) otoh...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Just to make it clear I do not and never have felt inferior to anyone...ever !

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    As I said I have have always found everyone here to be friendly, and have also had advice which was given when asked for, and it has always been given in a friendly sincere way, my observation wasnt directed at members of this forum....

I too love all the photos of high end watches and appreciate the workmanship of these lovely pieces....I wouldnt be a member here if I wasnt enjoying being here, ...once agin, my post was not directed at this forums members.
    My apologies. I wasn't suggesting that you were at all. I can see how it has come across that way. I was just saying how I feel in general about the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Exactly

I've got a few relatively valuable pieces, but they are nothing value-wise compared to some collectors. I've also had lots of pleasure from inexpensive watches over the years and still do.

OP - go along to a GTG and I'd bet you'll be welcomed, rather than made to feel in any way inferior.
    Ditto. I can't think of anyone that I know on here who would even think in those terms, and I'd find it pretty offensive if they did.

I don't believe the cost of something and its value are in any way related; one of my favourite watches cost me a pound, and was only about 20 new, but I love Indiglo on a dial - it makes me smile ;)

I have a number of what some would call mid range watches which I like like enough to keep and wear, and two quite expensive watches which I don't wear much because they aren't really my style, but one was my Grandads and the other was a gift so I wouldn't sell them.

I don't think I would ever buy a hugely expensive watch as I don't buy in to brands and hype and I believe this is what most of the cost of high-end watches is comprised of... with the possible exception of the IWC Ingenieur - the design and engineering of which appeals to the engineer in me, but I wouldn't buy one without first being pretty damn certain I wouldn't need the money for something important like university fees.

I am happy collecting the watches I like and I am happy other people are happy collecting the watches they like... I don't think we get in each others way much :)

If you want to see "them"

http://www.puristpro.com/
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Smiths Duo

These 2x cheap & cheerfull Smiths have close links to the Timefactors brand names.
    And I'm enjoying both at the moment.
    The non runner on the left was less than £5 - and will need my time and attention.
    And the good-un was less than £50 - and is ready to go to work when I need it.

Both have that little something special.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    These 2x cheap & cheerfull Smiths have close links to the Timefactors brand names.
    And I'm enjoying both at the moment.
    The non runner on the left was less than £5 - and will need my time and attention.
    And the good-un was less than £50 - and is ready to go to work when I need it.

Both have that little something special.

Very nice, I think vintage watches like these are great to own....I have few that work and a few needing attention, as you say they have something special about them :)

Craftsman
    Apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick I think. Have to say the commonest question I get asked when people realise that I have an interest in watches is ............

"Do you have a Rolex?"

My point is that amongst non-WIS there is a direct connection between interest and prestige brands- something which I don't see on here and personally makes little sense to me.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyFB View Post
    Value for money is all important for me, even if I won several million on the lottery I would not be spending
    £5k on a Rolex when I can get basically the same watch for less than £500 in the form of a Steinhart.

For me Patek are truly horrible even in the flesh having looked at a few and handled a couple at Mallory's
    in Bath. Massively overrated snob items.
    I think value for money is important to most of us, and if I like the look of a watch thats good enough for me as long is it is decent enough to last a while.

Them & Us

I don't really see it. I think everyone is taken equally seriously. After all, affordability etc are all relative concepts... Even someone who buys a £20,000 watch can look at someone buying a £200,000 watch and go "wow". It doesn't make anyone inferior or superior in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    If you want to see "them"

http://www.puristpro.com/
    That is bleak and depressing its meant to be a hobby not an arms race.

FWIW OP, I currently have 21 watches. The average purchase price is £145. I suppose I could buy a "proper" watch again (I have in the past and I do think about it now and again) but frankly I can't be bothered as what I have seems a bit more fun. If I was into cars I would be buying old Morris Minors rather than Aston Martins. Or Hob Nobs rather than Huntley & Palmer biscuits to use another analogy.

This cost me £20 on the bay:

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ditto. I can't think of anyone that I know on here who would even think in those terms, and I'd find it pretty offensive if they did.
    Indeed. I have a fair amount of cash on watches - but I bought a Bulova for around £115 the other day, a £165 Citizen Ecozilla, and I own some sub £100 watches. I get enjoyment from them all.

I've been lucky enough to indulge in my hobby - but that doesn't mean I am better than anyone else - I simply don't think like that. I did make huge sacrifices to buy my first Rolex though, and anyone could do that if they set their mind to it - it's just a matter of priorities and I fully acknowledge that spending that amount on a watch is never going to hit that list.

I sent one of my Rolex watches out to a few forum members to try out and see what they thought of the watch and brand - no cost, or obligation, - in fact I think I told all of them to just wear it and not worry about marking it, as I had owned it longer than any other luxury watch.

I don't think there is a real "them and us" on here - but there is to some extent when you look at brands. I dislike some cheaper brands (Christopher Ward and sub-alike brands), - but then I dislike some very expensive brands I don't dislike or judge the owners of them though - so it is not a case of who much you can afford - there are great watches by Eddie, Seiko, Citizen, etc. etc. that could fit in with any budget - sales are on every year, where you can buy good luxury watches for around 50% off - so there are opportunities.
    It's just a matter of time...

Them & Us

I think I know where you are coming from.

I have only been here for 11 months and I tend to be cautious around my listings and my comments/spelling/punctuation but have met some really good people and banter here with some really good people.I have made a few mistakes and have learned from them.

As for Them and US yes there are are alot of people on here that really know there stuff so I tread carefully but in the main offer something and you will be welcomed .

As for money spent on watches I bought this new last December new from an AD but wanted something different and sold it on SC this week

and today I bought a Seiko for £125.00 that I just cant wait to wear next weekend.

If possible I back up my comments with fact http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Seiko-content

Watches are a hobby sometimes expensive and as above less expensive but the end result is the same.I bet the £125 Seiko will keep the same correct timekeeping as the Omega (well it better!)

I have learned this week that its not all about the money.Its sometimes value for money and contribution to the forum.

Next week I will show some pictures of how a £125.00 watch could look better on the wrist than a £3950 watch

The week after I will be bored and want the Omega back

regards
    Tony
    Last edited by itsgotournameonit; 14th January 2013 at 01:50.

Anyone that looks down on a watch because it isn't made by a brand well known to the majority of folk on the “High St.”, or because its value is below a certain amount, isn't a real watch enthusiast, but a poseur (whose opinion, therefore, should be of little concern).

I like watches for three primary reasons: 1. Aesthetic properties 2. Mechanical ingenuity 3. Historical interest / importance.

A watch doesn’t have to be valuable to meet those criteria.

For example, I was first in-line at my AD when the new shape Rolex Submariner was released a few years ago. I looked at the design of this £4,500+ watch; I tried it on; it left me cold.

However, when I first saw a picture of (and then read-up on) the Seiko 6138-8020 "Panda" it ticked all of the boxes for me, and so began a bit of a mission to get hold of one ...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...perfect-watch”

The Seiko cost me around £200 - about 4.5% of the value at the time of the Rolex. Yet I find it to be of greater beauty, as well as mechanical and historical interest.

Does the value or other peoples' opinions matter? No, it's what any given watch means to you - something any true watch enthusiast (or, indeed, enthusiast of any interest) should understand.

I've been inferior all my life. Doesn't the bother me now though . Got a nice big rock to crawl under.

Blog Entries
    Allowing yourself to enjoy your WIS hobby at a much reduced level of capital expense than those that make you feel inferior should, make you feel smug - shouldn't it?

Love the Seiko Panda! It's been on my list for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    Anyone that looks down on a watch because it isn't made by a brand well known to the majority of folk on the “High St.”, or because its value is below a certain amount, isn't a real watch enthusiast, but a poseur (whose opinion, therefore, should be of little concern).

I like watches for three primary reasons: 1. Aesthetic properties 2. Mechanical ingenuity 3. Historical interest / importance.

A watch doesn’t have to be valuable to meet those criteria.

For example, I was first in-line at my AD when the new shape Rolex Submariner was released a few years ago. I looked at the design of this £4,500+ watch; I tried it on; it left me cold.

However, when I first saw a picture of (and then read-up on) the Seiko 6138-8020 "Panda" it ticked all of the boxes for me, and so began a bit of a mission to get hold of one ...

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...perfect-watch”

The Seiko cost me around £200 - about 4.5% of the value at the time of the Rolex. Yet I find it to be of greater beauty, as well as mechanical and historical interest.

Does the value or other peoples' opinions matter? No, it's what any given watch means to you - something any true watch enthusiast (or, indeed, enthusiast of any interest) should understand.

Thomas Reid
    I can't even afford to buy what people on this board call "mid range" watches. But, I don't recall anyone here making fun of me because of that. I like looking at some of the watches which cost a lot, and am glad that there are some about.

Best wishes,
    Bob

To the OP,
    come along to the next SWHES get-together* and you will likely see some very expensive watches along with some very inexpensive ones**: all of which are enjoyed equally and with no hint of a 'them and us' mentality whatsoever. (Rest assured, anything you bring along will be 'taken seriously'. ;-) )

* Just off the M5 near Exeter, next meeting to be announced shortly

** Usually mine!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Sounds like OP has crossed paths with ARCHIE LUXURY!

In my opinion value doesn't matter that much. I have always spent to my means and enjoyed what's on my wrist, and when I've felt the urge to show them off on here they have been well received in the most part.

A vintage Rolex that cost a couple of grand got some admiring glances, but an Omega Dynamic I picked up for a tenth of the price when things were tighter got nearly 2 pages of comments!

I think proper watch fans and collectors just admire quality. A well made cheaper watch will always gain fans on here - it's when members try to compare an Alpha to a Rolex and make unrealistic comparisons that the Rolex owners tend to jump in and settle things.
    You do get what you pay for.

Master
    I've never felt inferior to other collectors or owners, but I will happily admit that there's a little jealousy in there at times.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I can't even afford to buy what people on this board call "mid range" watches. But, I don't recall anyone here making fun of me because of that. I like looking at some of the watches which cost a lot, and am glad that there are some about.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I think, in a lot of ways, you have taken your hobby further than most on the forum Bob. Which goes to show, it really isn't about the amount of cash involved but the enjoyment you get from it - and from a selfish point of view, the information I get from reading about it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    An interesting watch is an interesting watch regardless of cost, In my opinion there are some pretty boring looking expensive watches although I suspect the people who bought them wouldn't agree.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you're interested in. My interest is in clever and interesting mechanical designs; sometimes the interest is in the way a manufacturer has created a rugged and attractive low cost design that will run for years without any attention; other times the interest is in the almost perfect implementation of the hands, face, case and bracelet/strap into something that defines an iconic style of watch; a Rolex Explorer or a Seiko Diver for example.

What I don't find interesting is brand engineered expensive jewellery that just happens to tell the time - but good luck to the folk that do.

regards
    grant

What you are able to afford has no bearing on interest value to a true watch fancier.

There are those of more moderate means on here who have taught themselves to pull apart and repair watches and are willing to share their movement knowledge with others on here and present threads of great interest.

At the opposite end of the scale there are some members who can afford very expensive collections of watches that can only manage, "look what I've got" type posts.

Personally I much prefer the former but you pays your money........
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Them & Us

I'm lucky in that I own a few high end pieces and have been able to keep them. Sometimes, can be a little uncomfy posting pics of them as don't want to be seen to be showing off but hopefully been on here long enough for most to know that I'm not and just enjoy sharing some of them.

At the other end, I also have a number of watches that I bought for south of £100.00, Russian watches and G Shocks and they give me as much pleasure as the high end pieces.

And whenever there is a thread about what a WIS should have in their collection, there is nearly always a Seiko Monster and G Shock mentioned before most other makes.

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    I'm lucky in that I own a few high end pieces and have been able to keep them. Sometimes, can be a little uncomfy posting pics of them as don't want to be seen to be showing off but hopefully been on here long enough for most to know that I'm not and just enjoy sharing some of them.

At the other end, I also have a number of watches that I bought for south of £100.00, Russian watches and G Shocks and they give me as much pleasure as the high end pieces.

And whenever there is a thread about what a WIS should have in their collection, there is nearly always a Seiko Monster and G Shock mentioned before most other makes.

Malc
    Spot on, Malc - I've got a Monster and two G's and I love wearing them.

Journeyman
    Thats nice to hear Malc, and yes the Seiko and G Shocks are always welcome additions, I love my Seikos, the divers being my favorites.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 14th January 2013 at 18:19.

Master
    Mr KcKenzie, as long as you have the requisite Roger Dubois, a Speake-Marin Resilience and a Patek as a beater for when you change the oil on your Mk IX Spitfire, you'll always be welcome around here!

Personally, the price tag on a watch doesn't worry me. It's how interesting the watch is, its history or just the story of how I came to find it that matters. The watchbox has everything from a 1964 gilt-dial 1016 Explorer I to a G-Shock. Wearing a 7T62 Seiko today that my partner gave me - the only watch I'll never sell, yet it cost very little in comparison to some.

I don't think there are many people on here who look down on others. It's part of what makes it such a great place to spend (far too much) time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mr KcKenzie, as long as you have the requisite Roger Dubois, a Speake-Marin Resilience and a Patek as a beater for when you change the oil on your Mk IX Spitfire, you'll always be welcome around here!

One surely doesnt change ones own oil in ones Spit does one ? Thats what servants are for !

Tut,Tut old boy - that really is bad form. LOL

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post

Personally, the price tag on a watch doesn't worry me. It's how interesting the watch is, its history or just the story of how I came to find it that matters. The watchbox has everything from a 1964 gilt-dial 1016 Explorer I to a G-Shock. Wearing a 7T62 Seiko today that my partner gave me - the only watch I'll never sell, yet it cost very little in comparison to some.

I don't think there are many people on here who look down on others. It's part of what makes it such a great place to spend (far too much) time.
    LOL MMC :)
    Yes I agree with you about the history of a watch, especially where military watches are concerned, I also love old pocket watches, and the history some of those old time pieces have is a real draw, as well as the beautiful movements, even some of the more basic ones are a joy to behold.

As I have already said, I have always felt welcome HERE and always found EVERYONE friendly and helpful ... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    One surely doesnt change ones own oil in ones Spit does one ? Thats what servants are for !

Tut,Tut old boy - that really is bad form. LOL
    In the army the officers send the enlisted men off to get shot at. In the navy the officers and enlisted men go off to get shot at together. The RAF... do the sensible thing and the enlisted men strap the officers in, wave them off and go down the pub ;-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    In the army the officers send the enlisted men off to get shot at. In the navy the officers and enlisted men go off to get shot at together. The RAF... do the sensible thing and the enlisted men strap the officers in, wave them off and go down the pub ;-)
    LOL...thats brilliant :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    LOL...thats brilliant :)
    +1 Brilliant LOL