timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate small watch?

Craftsman
    How about a '90's Omega Dynamic. Seems to fit all your criteria:

Jan, how 'bout this:

This is how I wear it now, on a Hirsch Pure:

It's slightly smaller than Your Tutima was.

Brane

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jankoxxx View Post
    is that one of my straps? that explorer looks stunning. are these vintage pieces 36mm as well or smaller?
    That strap is a Timetraveller Horween Shell Cordovan.The Explorer 1 ,both this 1016 and later 14270 are 36mm .The Nomos is a current watch and also 36mm

Titoni Madison

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    38mm superocean heritage?

Link to pic http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8071/img2306oa1.jpg

i wear my AirKing all the time, 8"wrist or not:) i find the bund strap makes it so much more wearable for me
    AirKing.jpg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    How about a '90's Omega Dynamic. Seems to fit all your criteria:

I sold mine (a minty one) a couple of years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Banned
    Hey guys, this is an ongoing process and I found myself lurking around again. The purchase will be probably at the end of the year or so and the candidates are currently: Rolex Expl I, Omega AT 36mm, Railmaster 36mm or Nomos Club dunkel also in 36mm..

As you see, I have for now removed the date from the must-haves and I would like to see some more suggestions :)

Craftsman
    Maybe a Mido Commander, though I realise that the design is not for everybody.
    http://www.watchtime.at/archive/wt_2...012_01_100.pdf

Apprentice

the smaller Explorer is cool too. 34mm.

I'm resurrecting this ancient thread as I have finally accepted that smaller is better (for me). Unfortunately that rules out the vast majority of modern watches (but at least it makes decisions easier) and fortunately there are some cracking smaller watches available, many of which have already been mentioned in this thread.

37-38mm is the sweet spot for me and I'd like to add the following options for those with slimmer wrists:

Grand Seiko mechanical SBGR095. This was the star of Basel last year and the case is just killer.
    Grand Seiko quartz SBGV011. Another vintage reissue that’s very versatile on both strap and bracelet. I think that GS make some of the best dials, cases and hands on the planet and the movements aren't too shabby either!

Smaller modern Chrono's are few and far between. I like the Zenith El Primero original 1969 even though the 38mm version is advertised as being a ladies watch!
    A vintage 37mm Daytona would be amazing although I’d probably need to rob a bank for one!

Lots of great vintage choices have already been mentioned in previous posts but the Omega 1953 Fat Arrow is another one that I’d like to try one day.

So calling all those who prefer a smaller watch – are there any other great, affordable options out there, vintage or modern?

Most of my watches are around 37-38mm. From the top of my head:

- Glycine Airman 18
    - Bell & Ross vintage 123
    - Tag Heuer twin-time
    - Precista PRS-5
    - Meistersinger perigraph
    - Seiko monopusher 5717 (might be smaller don't remember for sure)
    - Heuer 1153

Master
    Buying a Seiko G s. Quartz convinced me that 37mm is a good size. At first you think 'that's a bit small' but after a few days you find yourself thinking ' my other watches seem unnecessarily big'.
    For me, somewhere around 38mm is the ideal size.
    Too many watches have a vague 'coco the clown' feel....they just can't help looking a bit comic.
    You can buy a GS Quartz within your budget, and you have a fabulously made, stunningly accurate watch for life. I wear mine more than my mechanical watches these days; I never expected that.....you never really know in life.
    Last edited by paskinner; 24th February 2016 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    At that size, and if budget can stretch to it.. I'd go for a vintage Datejust...
    Without wishing to feed the anti-Rolex trolls; this really is the best watch you can buy for the money IMHO.

Such great quality and timeless looks, with dare I say it (I probably shouldn't) but they have personality, from the way they look to the way they wear. Probably just an association with seeing them on the wrists of so many people, from Che Guevara to the Dalai Lama.

Bugger, it appears I'm missing mine...

Edit - didn't realise it was a necro-thread. Ah well, at least I now know I need a DJ again!
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 24th February 2016 at 10:24.

Apprentice
    There are a huge number of terrific vintage options in that size range, which happens to be my preferred range well. I could post dozens of possibilities, but I'll just post one that, coincidentally, I wouldn't trade for a dozen Datejusts. Oh, and I wouldn't characterize anything at 36mm and up as "small".

Last edited by Tony C.; 24th February 2016 at 18:35.

Journeyman
    So many fantastic watches shown in this thread. I may be maturing (like a good wine I'd like to think;) but I too have discovered a fondness for smaller watches. I'm reluctant to give up the daily Diver though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    There are a huge number of terrific vintage options in that size range, which happens to be my preferred range well. I could post dozens of possibilities, but I'll just post one that, coincidentally, I wouldn't trade for a dozen Datejusts. Oh, and I wouldn't characterize anything at 36mm and up as "small".
    Yep, that's my favourite in this entire thread so far.

Can I ask for the dimensions and reference number please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Without wishing to feed the anti-Rolex trolls; this really is the best watch you can buy for the money IMHO.
    I'd agree DB. Gorgeous bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C
    Oh, and I wouldn't characterize anything at 36mm and up as "small".
    +1. This is small vintage at 32mm.

I need to eat more cake.

Funny how perceptions change. I'd reckon if one was to graph out the average size of an average man's watch(divers and pilots etc could vary*) throughout the 20th century it would hover in and around 35mm, with outliers like the 20's when they went teeny tiny, to the 1970's when they started to get big and chunky. Tech played a part there as the new tech like electric and quartz were big movements. When the electronics got smaller so did the watches. In the 1980's watches like the Longines VHP and the IWC Porsche design quartz, among others, were tiny by today's standards(32-33mm).

*could vary a lot. 30's/40's Pilot's watches could be huge like B-Uhrs, through pretty big like the Zenith/Omega/Helvetia "luftwaffe" examples(40ish mm) to small like the 28mm IIRC Longines Weems model.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Yep, that's my favourite in this entire thread so far.

Can I ask for the dimensions and reference number please?
    ref. 866AD

• 37mm; 13.2mm (height)

• water resistant to 12 atm

• amagnetic to 80,000 A/m

• powered by the final iteration (854/854B) of the outstanding caliber 85x line

• top-class dials with white gold markers

This reference was the second generation of the iconic Ingenieur model line, which began in the mid/late '50s with the ref. 666 (also very nice), and remains popular today. Here is a link to a terrific reference for all of the models:

Ingenieur reference

They are expensive, but the collector community is strong and dedicated, so I would expect good examples to hold their values well.

Cheers,

Tony C.
    Last edited by Tony C.; 25th February 2016 at 01:51.

Excellent advice and an excellent watch from Tony C. there. Those vintage Ingenieurs are lovely. THIS article points out that, when the 3227 was released, all half-pound in weight of it, they also released a mid-sized version, the 4515. Might be worth an investigate.

Not to forget the new Tudor Black Bay 36.
    Very nice. Hum, perhaps no date.

I'm on the way to buy an Eterna Air Force II
    Saphir glass, screwed crown, ETA 2824, WR 100m, and it has a date (unfortunately for me).
    Nice little field watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronoss View Post
    Not to forget the new Tudor Black Bay 36.
    Very nice. Hum, perhaps no date.
    Yes, I like the looks of this one. However I'm not sure what sort of watch it's supposed to be? It's not a dive watch so how is it a Black Bay? Surely it's more of an Explorer-style sports watch? I much prefer this to the Heritage Ranger anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    ... It's not a dive watch so how is it a Black Bay? Surely it's more of an Explorer-style sports watch?
    The watches issued to the British North Greenland Expedition (whence the name Black Bay) in 1952 were Tudor Princes, not dive watches.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The watches issued to the British North Greenland Expedition (whence the name Black Bay) in 1952 were Tudor Princes, not dive watches.
    Aha now it makes sense, thanks for that fun fact! I think the watch just became more desirable now that I know that.

- - - Updated - - -

Have a look here for the fully story

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...54-+Tudor+7809

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Thats a good excuse to show my Explorer 1016
    That's absolutely beautiful, Dr. F

I know that Rolex made the 1016 for 25 years or so, but, seeing these every now and then, what I really do not know is why they ever stopped making it, nor why, when they did, anybody ever wanted to buy any of the 1016's blingy dress watch converted succession of Explorer 1 references that replaced it.

Sorry out there, I don't mean to be arrogant or obnoxious to those who love the later Explorers, and I'm just an observer of Rolex anyway, but it just seems like Rolex did the opposite of improving on the tool oriented 1016 at the end of the 1980's and since.

I'm probably only one of a minority who love the often classic simple looks, generally more compact size, and, in some instances, I think, the even better technological engineering of the best of the purpose-built military and tool watches of the past, but I still can't help but think Rolex could sell a lot of 1016s if they just brought it back exactly as it was

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    ...............................This is small vintage at 32mm.

I need to eat more cake.

Funny how perceptions change. I'd reckon if one was to graph out the average size of an average man's watch(divers and pilots etc could vary*) throughout the 20th century it would hover in and around 35mm, ..................................
    This immediately struck me as looking great but I didn't know what it was until I went to find out ( I guess it's one of these > http://www.secondtimearoundwatchco.c...tary-wwii/7885 ). Very nice look to it and I think somehow perfectly matched on the light khaki pre-NATO vintage military style (cotton?) one-piece band you have it on. BTW, could you please say what the watch band is and where you got it (I've been looking for one)?

Im thinking about Rolex 1016, Sinn 356, IWC Mark XII, smiths PRS29A

My 3 most comfortable watches. 36mm, 38mm, 36mm.

Master
    Another one,a 34mm Rolex 1550

Now winging its way back to me after 2 1/2 yrs !!

I love my Colt GMT, a diver but so comfy at 36mm

Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    My 3 most comfortable watches. 36mm, 38mm, 36mm.

Very nice, my 'smaller' Omega duo, an 38.5mm AT Quartz and 36mm 120m

IMGP2444 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by malus65 View Post
    I would go for a midsize Tudor sub. There are two versions: the ref. 75090 and 75190, they are 35mm and the blue is wonderful. I like mine very much as you can see:)
    VERY old post to reply to but.... I've looked at a few pics and can't really tell... what's the difference between the two?

I don't own any 'small' watches but I do own a vintage DJ. At 36mm it is perfect for my 7 inch wrist :-)

Craftsman
    the explorer 1016 is just drool...what a beautiful watch and when on the leather strap...

Hâve you seen the new Chrisropher Ward C3 Vitange? 38mm and a nice domed Saphir. Nice.

I am contemplating getting a Patek Philippe 3998 at 34 - 35mm.
    http://images.static.watchclub.com/w...47-402x402.jpg

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I personally think that the original B13 Breitling Chronomat at 39mm takes some beating.

The original was beautifully styled, WR to 200m, and very useable. Sadly the modern iterations have got bigger and brasher, and obscenely expensive!!

I've always owned one of these.

Craftsman
    It's all about the IWC Mk series for me, I like you prefer a smaller watch,

Apprentice
    How about a Nomos Club Dunkel?

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I just remembered I had this one stuck away in a drawer. I wound it yesterday, and 21 hrs later, it's gained just 1 second. Its a Fleurier FEF 210 movt, with screw compensated balance. 32mm diameter, and the trit still glows, well just a little bit. It's marked (badly) ATP with WD markings on the caseback.

Last edited by doug darter; 24th May 2016 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by ateague View Post
    How about a Nomos Club Dunkel?
    Either that or the lovely silver-dialled version is the watch to have for the money. The perfected 36 mm manual-wind version is nice and slim, but the long lugs don't make it look particularly small on the wrist.

Another favourite that wears larger than its nominal diameter is the Oysterquartz. It's possibly my favourite do-anything watch; it goes with everything and it's good for essentially-unlimited use, as it's the tougest Rolex ever made. Though the 16200 Datejust and the Nomos Club are strong contenders, I can't think of a single other watch that covers dressy to casual so well.

On the other hand, I don't think 36 mm actually constitutes "small", even on my 7 7/8" wrist. I think "normal" is a more accurate term. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    On the other hand, I don't think 36 mm actually constitutes "small", even on my 7 7/8" wrist. I think "normal" is a more accurate term. :)
    100% agree. I tried a black dialled 116200 on at an AD recently and you really couldn't call it small. Perfect normal size for me. I'm just about resisting the urge to buy it.

Craftsman
    does anyone know what years the 34mm Explorers I were made?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    100% agree. I tried a black dialled 116200 on at an AD recently and you really couldn't call it small. Perfect normal size for me. I'm just about resisting the urge to buy it.
    Agreed; the Datejust is a spot-on watch that's essentially defined the everyday mechanical wristwatch since its introduction in 1945. The simpler 116000 model is also a quality modern iteration of a classic, and well worth considering. I especially like the blue 3-6-9 dial that a mate has, though I've opted for the reddish and steel ones to have something a bit different in the collection. The brushed lugs and centre links make it just a bit more versatile than the modern Datejust in my opinion, not that the DJ is exactly lacking in that department.

'
    image credit: loevhagen

By the way, for a watch that's legitimately a bit on the small side, the more-compact 34 mm 114200 OP is available with what I think is the best dial in the current Rolex range:

Last edited by Belligero; 27th May 2016 at 11:24.

I've recently reminded myself how good our host's PRS29s are.

Craftsman
    I have been trying to find a small watch to suit many occasions myself, but really struggled to cover all bases. Love some of the suggestions some of which I had know about and some are new to me.

I plumped for the SARB017 Alpinist. Specs are decent 38mm hackable, diashock, good power reserve & 200m WR.

It also has the benefit of some real heritage and that it is not a common watch. However, it does have a green face so it can be a bit more "look at me" in style. The other choices I had were a couple of vintage pieces (Seamaster, Tudor Oyster Prince), but I worried that I would have to avoid water altogether therefore limiting their use. Modern wise I looked at the Glycine Combat 6 36mm and an Eterna Kon-Tiki 1958.

If I could afford it (pass stamped by wife) I would have gone with a Speedmaster reduced or the new Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36. Bothe of these would cover a lot of situations with ease with simply a change of strap.

@Belligero

For some time I was all about getting a blue dialled 116000. They are absolutely stunning and are close to the 114270 that I have coveted for some time but with the added benefit of a decent bracelet and a newer movement. I tried the red grape dial version on at a local AD to check the size and once again it was a good size and certainly not small but it didn't wear as big as the latest Datejusts do due to their beefed up lugs. Amazingly, the Oyster P actually looked and felt more dressy than the latest Datejust which was a big surprise to me.

I'd dismissed modern Datejusts from the off due to their PCLs. I just thought they would be too blingy but in reality this is absolutely not the case. I'd rather have brushed centre links for sure though as the PCLs will be scratch magnets but having exerienced them in the flesh, they are no longer a reason for me to dismiss the latest Datejust. Over the years I've also realised that I need a date, I love black or silver dials with stick batons and I don't like mercedes handsets so at the minute, a 116200 or 116234 is going to be my next major purchase (I posted a WTB earlier today!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I've recently reminded myself how good our host's PRS29s are.

That's my most favorite watch in all the world and at any price --- I absolutely love these. I also think that even good pictures like yours still don't quite do it justice until it's "seen in the steel"

What actually put me over the top with the PRS-29A after much personal study, research, and thought on it was its, to my lights, perfect construction in all the various bearing military/tool-watch oriented horological and technological aspects and factors I personally use in evaluating that. To be honest, choosing a watch that way, at least for me, is probably even more complicated, time consuming, and involved than it even might sound (to say I can be a "careful consumer" might be a humongously large understatement that has almost been strangled-to-death)

Still, I was even surprised, if not somewhat shocked, just how good these 29As actually look when I finally saw my first one "in the wild". I think that if I were to take the most beautiful Victoria's Secret supermodel I've ever seen (tall, golden blonde, tan, long legs, European exotic w/accent, named Laetitia ...................), and turn her into a watch while leaving the heavy sex appeal with herself (I don't like any watch THAT much), it would be the PRS-29A for my aesthetic horological tastes

I also think the 29A looks especially good on black colour NATOs like you show, and classic black 2-piece/open-end Aviator/Fliegers as well. I think everything else I've tried on mine has looked great too, and the 29A just might be one of those special and rare watches that seem to look good on pretty much everything

My end game, a 36mm Railmaster: