closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Belstaff Trialmaster or roadmaster?

Master

Belstaff Trialmaster or roadmaster?

As a complete noob with regards to Belstaff, and seeing as they're quite popular on here, I'd like to ask for some advice and opinions!

I want to add a belstaff to my wardrobe, initially wanting the Mojave but after trying it on against roadmaster decided it was a bit short. So now I'm after a trialmaster or roadmaster but am at a loss to the difference?

Have seen these:

Both quite different jackets and as far as I can make out, both the trialmaster?! My preference is for the top one, as I like the extra detailing, but is it a better jacket?! The bottom one seems to be the more common? I love the style of both, but which one?!

Next question:

What is the general opinion, from those who own them, for the brown version? Is it going against a classic colour ie black and is it just for fashion? I love this and is what I'd like to go for but...

with so many different variants, colours, styles I'm somewhat confused. I appreciate this is a classic and will last a lifetime hence wanting to get it right first time! I don't have a stockist near me so popping along and trying them on isnt easy.

Lastly, can anyone shed any light in the PM 2013 collection? The prices have gone up considerably from what I can see but are they worth it compared with the old style?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ads54; 8th January 2013 at 08:01.

As someone who's having a bit of a nightmare getting a belstaff at the moment, one thing I have learnt is that the trialmaster is bigger than the roadmaster. So a large roadmaster would see you wanting perhaps a medium trialmaster.

If you're buying new then obviously the best option is to try on. However during my search I did find them on sale with £140 off from Motorcycle news shop

http://shop.motorcyclenews.com/produ...gn=MCN_article

Looks like all the brown have gone now so may not be good for you.

The current versions are differently waxed and have a greater shine to them. Personally I'm not as keen on these and took one back recently.

As or colour, the brown is a nice choice and different from the norm. I like the brown ones myself and even got a roadmaster in olive so giving me something different from my barbours.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The pocket on the upper arm was for the score card. The score keeper would fish it out, mark it, put it back.

No need to be confused and it is all fashion nowadays.
    It obviously is just short of obligatory for classics but for práctical use on a bike there has been better stuff for some 40 years now.

The brown looks more worn as the black will look very newish for quite a long time.
    Just get the model you líke.

Master
    Thats a great heads up thanks!Hmmm, may be worth giving the black a try at that price, i'm a 40-42" chest so M or L. Order both and try them i guess.Whats the difference between these and the ones with no arm pocket though?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    The pocket on the upper arm was for the score card. The score keeper would fish it out, mark it, put it back.
    Thanks for clearing that up!

Craftsman
    i had a one in the early 80's...good quality...bottom one outta the 2 for me

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ads54 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up!
    Another user thing is the angled breast pocket; officially to make it easier to get the pocket map out (in real life the fag packet) one handed.

The new proofing mentioned is an example of it being fashion nowadays. It is only splash´proof´. The previous proofing wasn´t waterproof either. The original wax was but only if you reproofed it and box was thát messy. It also could not be done as sparingly as the factory coating so you ended up with either a leaky or a grimey one that was very stiff when cold to boot.
    This was the prime reason of them loosing out to modern materials and when the material was rediscovered by the Sloan rangers the coating was replaced by stuff that did not give the wearer black fingernail edges.

Master
    I have a Roadmaster and really like it. They're more fitted than the Trialmaster as mentioned. Both nice jackets so down to personal preference really. I would agree it's worth ordering in two different sizes as they are a bit tricky to guess.

Regarding the differences between the 2012 & 2013 Trialmasters, the 2013 are fully waterproof (apparently) whereas the 2012 are only "shower proof" and come with a waterproof over-jacket.

The trailmaster differs from the Roadmaster in that it is a looser fit and has the angled breast pocket. The Roadmaster is a more fitted jacket and has the symetrical breast pockets. I have the Roadmaster in antique brown - pretty much the same colour as the brown jacket in this thread and I love it. It also wears better in my opinion if you tend to wear brown shoes, something else perhaps for you to consider. Cheers.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daggartuk View Post
    It also wears better in my opinion if you tend to wear brown shoes, something else perhaps for you to consider. Cheers.
    What happened to the boots? Black leather on the bike and green rubber Wellies off it.

Can't comment on these specific models as I have a Brooklands, but can regarding the current vs. previous models. I had a couple of years old Brooklands in brown, which was great, but have replaced it a month ago (because it got damaged, long story) with the current 2013 model also in brown. As mentioned the 2013 model is fully waterproof due to better treatment of seams, while the previous was resistant, but would eventually get wet. The current model is also £100 more due to extra detailing, which, at first, I was very sceptical about. However, once I received the jacket I was hugely impressed. I thought the detailing they were referring to would be only cosmetic, but in fact there are a lot of practical improvements as well. The removable lining is a bit higher grade and noticeably warmer, there are nylon inner cuffs to prevent water ingress through the sleeve, the armour is completely different (if you care about it) made of softer material, but apparently better, and yes, the jacket is slightly shinier (the shine dulls somewhat, but still stays more waxy than the old jacket), and darker, which suits the brown much more IMO. The cosmetic stuff is pretty nice too as the buttons are slightly bigger and feel more solid, the zips are much sturdier feeling, etc. Overall I wouldn't say the price increase is quite justified, but I am hugely satisfied with the jacket and would say it is superior to my old one.

Master
    It also wears better in my opinion if you tend to wear brown shoes, something else perhaps for you to consider.
    Which i do. I wear dark brown engineer boots almost eclusively having a number of pairs.I'm just concerned that by going for the brown i'll be too brown, if that makes sense? The black is the classic colour, i've not seen either jacket in the brown as i'm guessing its not as popular?I think i've got to order a number of jackets from online retailers to see about fitting but that will be a lot of outlay and subsequent return postage charges.Why don't the Belstaff shops have better stock, its very frustrating.I made a special trip to the Conduit Street shop in London before xmas, they had none of the PM range at all because the new 2013 was coming out and they had all been withrawn.... Wasn't that impressed but all was not lost as i then walked to the Burlington Arcade :-)I then went to the Manchester store on 28th Dec. I asked a sales assistant if they had the new range which he said they did and off he trotted to get them out the back room, not even on display?! Why??Anyway, i tried the Brooklands and Roadmaster on both in different sizes but i just didn't feel comfortable in there, not made to feel welcome or helped out much, and this was me looking to purchase a £600+ jacket. I finally gave up after i asked the young guy if they had the roadmaster in the brown to try on, his answer was they do not make in the brown...If the salesmen don't know the brand what hope has the buyer got?

Craftsman
    Have you had tried these people -

http://www.motolegends.com/brands/be...mberperpage=-1

Might be of help , free returns too.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Can't comment on these specific models as I have a Brooklands, but can regarding the current vs. previous models. I had a couple of years old Brooklands in brown, which was great, but have replaced it a month ago (because it got damaged, long story) with the current 2013 model also in brown. As mentioned the 2013 model is fully waterproof due to better treatment of seams, while the previous was resistant, but would eventually get wet. The current model is also £100 more due to extra detailing, which, at first, I was very sceptical about. However, once I received the jacket I was hugely impressed. I thought the detailing they were referring to would be only cosmetic, but in fact there are a lot of practical improvements as well. The removable lining is a bit higher grade and noticeably warmer, there are nylon inner cuffs to prevent water ingress through the sleeve, the armour is completely different (if you care about it) made of softer material, but apparently better, and yes, the jacket is slightly shinier (the shine dulls somewhat, but still stays more waxy than the old jacket), and darker, which suits the brown much more IMO. The cosmetic stuff is pretty nice too as the buttons are slightly bigger and feel more solid, the zips are much sturdier feeling, etc. Overall I wouldn't say the price increase is quite justified, but I am hugely satisfied with the jacket and would say it is superior to my old one.
    If I remember correctly, Belstaff have two lines of jacket in production. One is a purpose built motorcycle jacket desighned for road use which includes armour for protection whilst riding, the other though is the fashion accessory which the OP is looking at which would be unsuitable for riding a bike.

Journeyman
    When I got my Roadmaster a few years back, it was basically a more lightweight version of the Trialmaster, didn't have the quilted padded shoulders, corduroy collar etc.

You can get a detachable Belstaff quilted liner which pops into the Roadmaster and hey presto! you then have what Belstaff appear to now sell as a Streetmaster. This is pretty good actually as it means you have a lightweight jacket for the spring / summer / autumn and a much warmer jacket for winter (as well as having a seperate gilet which can be worn on its own).

Size-wise I got a large, when I got my Panther later that year I got a medium. Belstaff sizes are all over the place so if you're buying online, order a few different sizes and keep what fits best.

My Roadmaster with liner.

Last edited by mrw_y2k; 8th January 2013 at 19:10.

If I remember correctly, Belstaff have two lines of jacket in production. One is a purpose built motorcycle jacket desighned for road use which includes armour for protection whilst riding, the other though is the fashion accessory which the OP is looking at which would be unsuitable for riding a bike.
    You're correct, but the Trialmaster and the Brooklands are from their motorcycle collection and both have removable armour. The current Roadmaster on the other hand is the "fashion" version of the Trialmaster and has no armour, fits slimmer, etc.

Journeyman
    My bad, I was speaking rubbish. Just checked the tags and I've got a Roadmaster not a Trialmaster.

Blog Entries
    I had a similar dilemma matey and in the end settled for the heavier motorcycle range Trailmaster or Tourist trophy as it is know.

Liner included and the armour pads come out very easy to give a really heavy weight winter jacket which is what I wanted over my lighter weight UJ International.

Size wise I am a 40 chest, 15.5 collar, 5'10'' and small fits me perfectly.

Ta
    Pitch

Overall, I think, Belstaff are a company in flux, due to the takeover and the want to move into the luxury market, so their two product lines are very much contradicting each other. The motorcycle line is much higher quality made of tougher materials with great practical features, but it's less than half the price of their flimsy luxury stuff (which is inspired by their motorcycle designs...). Then there is the Legends line, which features the more classically designed, but lighter coats, such as the Roadmaster. It's all over the place.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I had a similar dilemma matey and in the end settled for the heavier motorcycle range Trailmaster or Tourist trophy as it is know.

Liner included and the armour pads come out very easy to give a really heavy weight winter jacket which is what I wanted over my lighter weight UJ International.

Size wise I am a 40 chest, 15.5 collar, 5'10'' and small fits me perfectly.

Ta
    Pitch
    Pitch,

I'm the same measurements bud, what size trialmaster did you get? And Black or brown?

Master
    Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated.

So I'm leaning towards the trialmaster as I can use it with armour and back protector on my bike then remove it if I don't want it.

Still decisions to make though....

What's the thoughts on the pocket on the left arm?

HAS to be a black Roadmaster - no contest!

Banned
    dont buy either its become silly priced fashion gear rather than motorbike gear.

not only that the ones ive seen people wearing,along with the rest of the belstaff range just dont look like they dont fit right,they hang and are mis shaped,

they look horrible and i would not trust it as safety bike gear.

same with Lewis Leathers i went to the shop in London all geared up to buy one [even at the silly price they sold for].

i have never been so dissapointed,it was a pale imitation of the original i have seen better copys in the market for £50.

now if you want a good belstaff i suggest you track down a original leather "montana"made before it became a hopless fashion brand.

Banned
    my montana hanging on a tree halfway up a French mountain on the way to the col d'izoard last June.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ads54 View Post
    Pitch,

I'm the same measurements bud, what size trialmaster did you get? And Black or brown?
    I prefer my jackets tailered and a small was perfect. The TT is a heavier 10oz cotton and the medium was huge.

Wanted brown but settled with black and if I had the choice again I would still have black. The stitching is not black also.

I purchased mine of eBay from a motorcycle dealer who moves access stock through the bay. They are official Belstaff dealers so no fake alert.

I can post the link up, I paid £290.00 and if you are in Norfolk or Suffolk happy to loan it out for a try.

Ta
    Pitch

Master
    You look clownish wearing either unless your on a bike. FFS what's next motorcycle boots instead of normal footwear? Stupid.

Master
    Yes don't forget to hang your jacket on your handlebars when you get off whatever you do!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You look clownish wearing either unless your on a bike. FFS what's next motorcycle boots instead of normal footwear? Stupid.
    Yeah, it's like wearing jeans while not riding a horse, or a diver's watch while not diving. What are these people thinking?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    Yes don't forget to hang your jacket on your handlebars when you get off whatever you do!
    Ha ha!

Blog Entries
    Hello another jacket thread going one way... . Like my Skyfall Barbour one.

The op asked a specific question wanting some info and assistance from like minder folk on size and fit not if the brand was everyone's cup of tea.

Did he really need nugget comment judging his prefered style?? Errmmm No.

Ya
    Pitch

Blog Entries
    Yeah, it's like wearing jeans while not riding a horse, or a diver's watch while not diving. What are these people thinking?
    Blinking excellent mate, lov it.

Ta
    Pitch

Apprentice
    Stumbled across the Belstaff shop near Bond Street last week, was amazed at how many high end fashion items they have in their collection. Prices were in the thousands. Seems likes a bit of a confused company with someone turning it into another luxury brand. Hopefully it wont loose any of its original values. I guess the dilemma is how to keep a brand cool whilst wanting to make loads of money. Just not sure if I still want to be part of it all. Have moved from Barbour to Belstaff, now looking to set the next trend..... any ideas & advice ! ?

OP, depending on where you are in Norfolk, there's a little shop in Holt that has the full range of belstaff for you to try on at your leisure....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    OP, depending on where you are in Norfolk, there's a little shop in Holt that has the full range of belstaff for you to try on at your leisure....
    Now that is very interesting to know! What's it called?!

edit: Morston Country Sports?
    Last edited by ads54; 9th January 2013 at 23:26.

Banned
    i was trying to help him they are overpriced,poor fitting and not the real thing.
    hes better buying a vintage belstaff or a new barbour

pretty much the same as that travesty of a bike travel programme with charlie boorman today.

he was wearing a tan belstaff [please no] on his adventure bike while behind him he had 2 backup 4x4s and a massive trailer.

says it all!

Banned
    though they have similar overpriced tat.

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbo...ed-Jackets.sub

Banned
    if i HAD to have one it would be this one

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/departm...ket-67374.html

Master
    As i said clown-ish,
    Here's one with added fake/pretend mud splashes, really!

http://m.barbourbymail.co.uk/Mens-Ba...ed-Jacket.html

Imagine getting into a conversation with some berk sat on the bus/tube wearing that eh? Alright Steve, how ya doin mate? Ha ha ha
    Last edited by Karl; 10th January 2013 at 01:44.

I know this thread is getting on a bit, but I've a quick question - having lost the belt for my 38" Roadmaster, could a fellow owner give me an idea of the OE belt length for this jacket size?

Many thanks :)

Master
    Just buy one from Belstaff then you will get the correct length they are only about £45 cheap when you consider the cost of the jacket

As has been said the Roadmaster is more fitted and the Trialmaster is a much looser cut.

I personally think the Roadmaster is a much sharper and modern cut. I have one in medium and like it a lot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I know this thread is getting on a bit, but I've a quick question - having lost the belt for my 38" Roadmaster, could a fellow owner give me an idea of the OE belt length for this jacket size?

Many thanks :)
    I'm guessing your a medium? I have dimensions for a size large (40) EU size 50 if that's any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You're correct, but the Trialmaster and the Brooklands are from their motorcycle collection and both have removable armour. The current Roadmaster on the other hand is the "fashion" version of the Trialmaster and has no armour, fits slimmer, etc.
    There are two versions of the Trialmaster, one is a fashion jacket and one is a motorcycle jacket with a waterproof membrane, abrasion resistance, and armour. The motorcycle one is cheaper. There are a number of other jackets in the motorcycle range, which are very good - I have the Crosby which is a nice summer weight jacket for wearing on your hipster caff racer.

I also have Roadmaster fashion jacket, a few years old, which is a very nice jacket to wear, no armour, no waterproof membrane but it's certainly waterproof, though not against proper British rain. I think the op is looking for a casual jacket as opposed to a bike jacket. There is no bike version of the Roadmaster.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    I'm guessing your a medium? I have dimensions for a size large (40) EU size 50 if that's any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes please! It's just the length of the belt I'm looking for, thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Those look nice.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Those look nice.
    I don't have one yet, but someday I'll probably order one, I've never been a huge fan of following the crowd.

It's not just the crowd thing. If a firm hand makes tailored quality jackets it's a no brainer. Although... ventile or wax cotton?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's not just the crowd thing. If a firm hand makes tailored quality jackets it's a no brainer. Although... ventile or wax cotton?
    I think the wax cotton will look better with age, I really like the idea of adding an extra pocket maybe on the left sleeve as I'm right handed.

Sent on the run.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.