Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sub C LN Black

58 52.25%
  • Sub C LV Green

53 47.75%

Thread: Battle Of The Ceramica's. Rolex

Battle Of The Ceramica's. Rolex

Posted this on another forum but would like to see the results here also.

So here goes....

Last year I went for the black LN. Mainly because I had the old model LV.

Don't get me worng, I can see the attraction of the C LV, but owning the anniversary green LV and then Rolex bring out a new Green Sub left me says no thanks to it.

So I know C LV owners love them but what one would ye go for and why?

I don't like the green face of the current LV so it would be black for me. Love the old green bezel LV though !

Si

Hulk for me as I love the dial that changes colour in the light!! Stunner

For me personally it is a matter of heritage - the black subs to my mind reflect their heritage, as the black dial (and until the LV [which was a special/limited edition], bezel too) has been constant since the inception of the model - I also find the black somehow more in keeping with the 'tool watch' intentions of the model (despite how they are often [usually?] worn), as well as being perhaps more understated than other variants (blue, green) .... like the OP though I can see why the LV appeals though, just less so than the LN for me .....

Craftsman
    I voted LV, because green is my favourite colour.

Grand Master
    The black will always be infinitely more versatile as it goes with everything and black is always a safe option, on the other hand the green is a quirky colour but it really works it does something that others havent dared and can look very sporty and attracts comments. So if you want to be quirky and sporty and engage in comments the green is the one but it wont go with everything so as a 'only' watch its a hard one but nice as a collection. The black will always be bread and butter piece that wont age and will have a larger following ans potential sales base.

Personally the only solution is to have both but Id go black first and follow with the green
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The black will always be infinitely more versatile as it goes with everything and black is always a safe option, on the other hand the green is a quirky colour but it really works it does something that others havent dared and can look very sporty and attracts comments. So if you want to be quirky and sporty and engage in comments the green is the one but it wont go with everything so as a 'only' watch its a hard one but nice as a collection. The black will always be bread and butter piece that wont age and will have a larger following ans potential sales base.

Personally the only solution is to have both but Id go black first and follow with the green
    Agreed 100%. Love the old LV. I guess a major issue for ME is, here 50th LV, really special and all that. Brake away from the ordinary for Rolex, which I bought into BTW, oh now here you go another green model.

Who could blame them I guess.

Master
    if you have the 16610LV, then it is a no brainer... ie. 116610LN.

however, if you love green colour, then it'd be 116610LV....... or both LOL

I got the black and then went for the green.

I wear the black and think it so cool and the best watch I have in my collection. Then after a few weeks get the green one on and hey presto think this is so beautiful its my best one!
    Its a disease I tell you!

the green is more special but the back is more versatile... yup its a tough one! erm both

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rowbie View Post
    I voted LV, because green is my favourite colour.
    But I'd love a black one, too. Wish I had more money than sense.

The 116610lv is special. Period. Everyman and his dog has a black sub be it new or old models. The black screams of a safe buy whereas the green is a damn that watch is a great looker il take that over the black kinda watch...

Craftsman
    Black for its versitality.

Master
    versatility = boring

lol

Blog Entries
    Neither - GMTIIc shits on both of them, true story.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 5th January 2013 at 00:48.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    GMTIIc shits on both of them, true story.
    Which is why you sold your Green one then!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    The 116610lv is special. Period. Everyman and his dog has a black sub be it new or old models. The black screams of a safe buy whereas the green is a damn that watch is a great looker il take that over the black kinda watch...
    Change just one, 1 , as in 116610 to 16610 and I agree with you. Otherwise I am afraid I disagree!

Master
    More info, please LOL

Blog Entries
    And my GMTIIc too...

Grand Master
    And my GMTIIc too...
    GMTIIC is a beauty as are both the Green & Black, Subs are sturdy, GMT is great if you need to be efficient in 2 timezones. The real winner in the GMT worls could be a Red/Black or Red/Blue Ceramic but we wait with baited breath for APril
    RIAC

Master
    GMTIIC is a beauty as are both the Green & Black, Subs are sturdy, GMT is great if you need to be efficient in 2 timezones. The real winner in the GMT worls could be a Red/Black or Red/Blue Ceramic but we wait with baited breath for APril
    A "Sprite" version would match the green 24hour hand quite nicely...

Quote Originally Posted by Breanach78 View Post
    Change just one, 1 , as in 116610 to 16610 and I agree with you. Otherwise I am afraid I disagree!
    Without sounding like a obnoxious pleb I have both a 16610 LV and the newer 116610lv. They both have their merits BUT the 116610lv is fantastic. Superior bracelet and clasp, a dial to absolutely die for, I could go on but I'm sure you catch my drift. Honestly it is quite special.....

Blog Entries
    If Rolex manages to make a ceramic Pepsi I would literally cream myself!

Master
    Without sounding like a obnoxious pleb I have both a 16610 LV and the newer 116610lv. They both have their merits BUT the 116610lv is fantastic. Superior bracelet and clasp, a dial to absolutely die for, I could go on but I'm sure you catch my drift. Honestly it is quite special.....
    Yeah, but nothing beats the 16610LV aluminium green bezel insert under different light conditions, the maxi black dial, non maxi case and the lighter, more comfortable bracelet. The sound the bracelet makes is to die for. I'm sure you get my drift. It is definitely a more special one. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by esm View Post
    Yeah, but nothing beats the 16610LV aluminium green bezel insert under different light conditions, the maxi black dial, non maxi case and the lighter, more comfortable bracelet. The sound the bracelet makes is to die for. I'm sure you get my drift. It is definitely a more special one. IMO.
    My friend I have to agree to disagree on this one! I know exactly what you mean about the insert but the deep hues on the 116610lv dial, the glide lock clasp etc make the hulk a vastly improved watch over dare I say it a "cheaper" feeling 16610lv.

Master
    My friend I have to agree to disagree on this one! I know exactly what you mean about the insert but the deep hues on the 116610lv dial, the glide lock clasp etc make the hulk a vastly improved watch over dare I say it a "cheaper" feeling 16610lv.
    For sure - but I definitely prefer the cheaper 16610LV. It hasn't left my wrist in months this time. IIRC, I think the last time wore my 116610LV was back in 2011 sometime.. LOL
    Last edited by tabula rasa; 5th January 2013 at 01:15.

Grand Master
    Oh it is cheaper feeling but that is also a positive in that it feels like they should for a watch that was made for that era, the new ceramics are far superior in build like modern cars are but we all love a bit of the past
    RIAC

Oh it is cheaper feeling but that is also a positive in that it feels like they should for a watch that was made for that era, the new ceramics are far superior in build like modern cars are but we all love a bit of the past
    After many many Guinness, I have to say that your posts make sense to me but I am afraid, your user name does not!....
    Last edited by Breanach78; 5th January 2013 at 02:15.

Oh No! Twice
    Last edited by Breanach78; 5th January 2013 at 02:15.

Master
    I did this poll last month, Hulk won.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Subc-LN-or-LV

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I did this poll last month, Hulk won.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Subc-LN-or-LV
    Sorry about that Aksing! missed that one.

Funny though that at the moment the results are nearly the reverse of your poll.

Blog Entries
    As posted in the other thread - I went green...
    A major reason was I had not seen another one in the wild :)

And I still haven't

z

Originally Posted by ~dadam02~

Darren, I wish you had told me the GMTIIc was better than the LVc, if you had I wouldn't have bought this from you: -

Though to be honest the LVc is my favourite Rolex by far and is certainly a keeper.

Regards.

Keith.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the LV. It's a bit more unique and different.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Breanach78 View Post
    Sorry about that Aksing! missed that one.

Funny though that at the moment the results are nearly the reverse of your poll.
    Oh no problem, I bet every month youll get a different result!

Ive got the LN now but will flip for an LV after a year, that silver/platinum and green combo is just killa! I think the black and silver is cool and sexy and the green and silver is beautiful and artistic.
    Last edited by aksing; 5th January 2013 at 20:49.

Craftsman
    almost 50 /50 divide on the poll

Master
    I have brought two SubC and both black and I have tried and worn the green just does nothing for me. Now the black TT is a beauty.

original LV for me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    Originally Posted by ~dadam02~

Darren, I wish you had told me the GMTIIc was better than the LVc, if you had I wouldn't have bought this from you: -

Though to be honest the LVc is my favourite Rolex by far and is certainly a keeper.

Regards.

Keith.
    LOL, that's a mighty fine watch you got there and don't let anyone tell you any different! If I'm being honest I totally regret selling that, so you let me know when it's time to take her home again

Master
    LN for me, I love the LV but much prefer it with a metal bezel, there's something about the shade of the ceramic LV bezel that reminds me of a garden centre

Black for me please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I have brought two SubC and both black and I have tried and worn the green just does nothing for me. Now the black TT is a beauty.
    I dont really like gold on divers so Im going for a GMTc TT as my next watch after the LNc.

Master
    Not keen on the green dial TBH, in fact not keen on the LV full stop.

So it would be the all black version for me, much more versatile IMO.

Yuppers........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought a LN (no regrets) but still crave the Sub C LV

Master
    Much like comparing this

With this

One is far better than the other, They're both similar colours..... And both have DB in the name.... But which one would you rather have in the garage??

:-)
    Last edited by Enoch; 10th January 2013 at 23:12.

The Submariner is a diver's watch, right? Diver's watches traditionally have a black dial, and sometimes orange, yellow or blue. This has something to do with the readability under water. But green? For me this has nothing to do with a diver's watch and moves miles away from the tool-watch the Submariner is meant to be.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What does this actually mean? I'm unfamiliar with this horological phrase!

For me it's the Green one. Because Black is the safe one. Also Black will go with everything. The Green is a little bit special. So, yes it's Green for me. I don't care if the chart will say the Black is the popular one.

ismaaeel