closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ulysse Nardin...................

Blog Entries

Ulysse Nardin...................

I wasn't planning on this thread.

But coming across the UN1846 Chronometer on SC and across UN's latest offerings with that brilliant new in-house movement at Collectors Time, I felt I had to say this.
    Since that was the watch that started it all for me (saved for years and bought new at my local little dealer who managed to be the first to sell UN officially in the Netherlands) I still have a soft spot for it.
    When they grew bigger, they did away with my dealer to go upmarket, but I believe there is no official distributer in the Netherlands anymore now.

What a shame they did away with their original sensibly sized design, it should have been for UN what the Datejust is for Rolex, maybe 2mm of growth, and most importantly, no change to the design!
    For me, that watch, combined with their new in-house piece of marvel, would be an absolute number one on my wishlist (and I don't do watches that expensive anymore).

But they had to spoil it, getting into a deeper black hole design wise every year they put a new model on the market.
    Horror stories about their customer service didn't help either.

The watch for sale at Collectors Time is IMHO very competetively priced for a watch with such a brilliant engine, now if only they had stuck it inside the original UN1846's body..................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Marine Chronograph

I have a mint marine chronograph in my collection which I love. I bought it new in 2006. Does anyone know what kind of price I should pitch for this one if I decided to flip it? Since I have joined this forum I am finding nothing is sacred when it comes to my next grail. I seem to be developing a serious longing for a Heuer Atavia!
    Regards
    John

Blog Entries
    I really donīt know John.

I fell for the original ship's chronometer dial, and never looked at the chrono.

It's a lovely wearable piece though, but you need someone who really loves the brand to get a sensible price for it.

Daddel.

Master
    I agree entirely Daddel. Great brand that is not seen often and has some wonderful pieces. The 1846 is a design classic and could be their submariner. However putting vulcanised rubber on the case and enlarging it to 45mm do not help. The use of bright colors does not help the brand either.

Anyway I love mine.

Blog Entries
    Just out of interest I was scanning the web for a nice example.

And there's a private seller in Holland offering a mint one with blue dial for a very fair price.

Must resist.............

Daddel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Just out of interest I was scanning the web for a nice example.

And there's a private seller in Holland offering a mint one with blue dial for a very fair price.

Must resist.............

Daddel.
    They are difficult to resist. I think the latest incarnation is as far as I will go.
    Here is mine.
    Resistance is futile!

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    They are difficult to resist. I think the latest incarnation is as far as I will go.
    Here is mine.
    Resistance is futile!

I must amit that I would find it hard to resist too. This watch is beautiful.

Ulysse are probably my favourite brand.

They're not particularly easy to get in the UK either, but it seems that is about to change as UN have now appointed a UK Manager. Spoke to him on the phone from SalonQP and it seems pretty positive, so hopefully they'll become a little bit more widespread.

They've also purchased the movement and watchmakers who made the Ebel chronograph in 2012, which is now the in house UN118 calibre in the Marine Chronometer, with apparently more in house movements to follow. Really looking forward to the new pieces that they'll launch at Basel this year.

I guess they really are a marmite brand, some of the designs can be a little offputting but I'm sure most would appreciate the engineering that goes into their watches.

I did post some pictures of my UN's a while back, if anyone's interested, I'm sure the search function will find them.

All the best

Malc

Master
    I hope Ulysee can make something out of the Ebel movement. I like it a lot but it was not that well regarded in the 1911 range.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I hope Ulysee can make something out of the Ebel movement. I like it a lot but it was not that well regarded in the 1911 range.
    The Ebel movement was really well regarded, just their designs didn't pull it off.
    My E-type chrono is a joy to watch from the sapphire window, and runs like a dream.

The new UN movement that's now ticking away in their three hand watches is much more sophisticated though.

http://www.collectorstime.com/produc...ure-45mm-black

Daddel.

I too love UN.

My favourite watch in my "collection" is my Marine Chronograph...

(any excuse).

Cheers,

Daddel, I am 100% with you. A few years back, I could hardly pull myself from the UN case at my local AD. I hadn't the funds then.

Last I was in, and did have the funds, I took a quick glance and kept moving. Something has changed.

This said, if they can recapture that incredible, and very special look like the watch on SC, I will definitely be saving up. Fantastic watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    The Ebel movement was really well regarded, just their designs didn't pull it off.

Daddel.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me. That is what I meant to have said. Represented is probably a better word! The 1911 range is not to everyone's liking but I actually like the design of the case.
    Last edited by tim2012; 5th January 2013 at 11:03.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love UN. Oeschlin's work with them has been some of the best watchmaking of our time .

This is possibly the best GMT watch ever designed. Certainly the most practical to use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I love UN. Oeschlin's work with them has been some of the best watchmaking of our time .

This is possibly the best GMT watch ever designed. Certainly the most practical to use.

Oechslin's work for UN certainly did them no harm, the man is a genius in simple practical solutions regarding complications.

Your GMT is a great piece, looks good and has that bit of Oechslin in it.............

Daddel.

Ulysse Nardin...................

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post

UN have signed an agreement last year with Oeschlin's watch company whereby they supply some UN118's to them and he pretty much supplies his brain and expertise to them so could have some really special pieces coming out over next few years.

Malc

Thread resurection

If you love the wind in you hair,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Ut...layer_embedded