closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PAYG for mum (in her eighties!)

Master

PAYG for mum (in her eighties!)

My mum used to have a PAYG phone. It was very basic (so fine for her). Are there any PAYG (or SIM only) which are for the time you are on the phone rather than having to pay a monthly tariff (that's what she used to get years ago). She used to use maybe twenty minutes per year! She does not want to pay every month for a phone she will hardly use.

Mike

I always use PAYG phones. Not hard to find - look in any phone shop, supermarket, Argos etc.

There's been a 'simple' phone advertised on TV recently probably aimed at users like your mother. Can't remember the name - maybe someone can?

Craftsman
    The NOKIA 100 is a classic simple payg phone, Tesco sell them for £9.00, get a topup for £10 send a text or call every couple of months and it stays active. My 2 parents who are in their 70's cope with them fine. I set up speed-dials so they can access numbers easily.

You can buy PAYG Sim cards in Tesco for 99p (or on Amazon for 1p).

With regard to a phone, I have just bought a Panasonic KX-TU301EME Easy-Use phone for a mature technophobe and it really is simple and straightforward to operate.

As mentioned above, PAYG SIM cards can be obtained across all networks out there, without being tied in to any form of regular/monthly payments.

As for handsets:

EasiPhone are worth a look: http://easiphone.co.uk/index.php?mai...index&cPath=11

DoroPhone seem to be getting publicity too: http://www.doro.co.uk/

I considered the above for my Mother before going for the Nokia C2-05.

Master
    Thanks folks. I knew you would come up trumps. Much appreciated.
    Mike

Master
    Blog Entries
    Picked up a cheap samsung for the Mrs yesterday. £15 on virgin with £10 of credit on the sim after we had powered it up. That was from carphone warehouse. If you want the phone and no sim then its £30 which is a little random.

Master
    We got a simple Nokia (updated version of her old one) at Tesco's for £9.00! A £10 top up was converted to £30 when registered with their loyalty fob. I'm so impressed, that I may bin my Vodafone sim only deal and old phone and go for the same. I've been paying silly money for a phone that I hardly ever use (10-20 calls a month and half a dozen texts!). Many thanks for comments and suggestions. Much appreciated,
    Mike

bumping an old thread - for suggestions of easy to use mobile phones for our parents....

Grand Master
    I use a cheap pay as you go phone for essential calls whilst I`m out. The mobile phone/smartphone addiction has completely passed me by, unnecessary expense IMO. Wife sorts mine out for me, but I think they can be bought very cheaply.

Paul

Dad, 92, was perfectly happy for years with one of the Doro models but he was on contract because he used it a fair bit. He never managed the contacts list or texting. In a nursing home since Jan and no longer able to use it, sadly.
    The Doros are sturdy little things and work well.

Master
    Thanks from me and mum for all the info. She's contactable again, with a big button, OAP friendly phone that talks to her when she gets a call or presses the keys. Spot on!

I got a Doro flip with a GiffGaff PAYG SIM for my 82 year old mum. It works well for her, I even get texts

Master
    Blog Entries
    My old mom was 90 yesterday. (ME) A few years ago I said, Mom I can never get you on your mobile. (MOM) Its always with me in my bag, but I do not it turn on because the battery will go flat. Bless her

Be a good lad to your old mum like me, get her an iPhone, FaceTime her every week, she'll be thrilled to see you and you'll be thrilled to hear about every meal she has eaten during the week, exciting shopping trips, resumes of every programme you didn't want to see and the ins and outs of all the neighbours medical conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by docd View Post
    I got a Doro flip with a GiffGaff PAYG SIM for my 82 year old mum. It works well for her, I even get texts
    Interesting manufacturer, this seems particulalry interesting:

Doro Liberto 820 mini

with a useful dock feature that charges the phone and puts it into 'alarm clock' mode:

Not as cheap as most 'basic' phones, and there is a lack of physical keys to answer/hang up a call but otherwise a decent looking product.

Just got the Doro for my mother in law a few months ago who is 83. Easy for her to use and she is bloody texting now.

Got it on a contract for her that is only £7.50 per month and she will never use the allowance that she gets with that. It's with ID which is car phone warehouse's own network. Been really happy with the whole set up and value.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Interesting manufacturer, this seems particulalry interesting:

Doro Liberto 820 mini

with a useful dock feature that charges the phone and puts it into 'alarm clock' mode:

Not as cheap as most 'basic' phones, and there is a lack of physical keys to answer/hang up a call but otherwise a decent looking product.
    Just to update on this,

Apr 2017: Bought for my Mother. Very happy user due to the simplified (touch screen) user interface.
    Jun 2018: the battery starting overheating and depleting rather quickly (would only normally decrease 5-10% per day but now up to 90% in one day on standby).

I see the Doro warranty page stages handsets are covered for 24 months but battery only 12 months. Very disappointing.

Any other Doro buyers had similar issues?

Master
    My mum is 81 and in the past she had a doro flip phone on a payg sim. This was fine but she was always reluctant to use it as she was afraid of running out of credit. In the end we bought her a contract iPhone 5 SE on 3 with unltd calls and texts and some amount of data. Also has free 3 to 3 calls. Setting the phone up for big text and icons etc. was pretty easy and she loves it. Costs us less than £20 a month and she now feels much happier about calling using it.

I'm using Carphone Warehouse's iD mobile network sim only. No problem with coverage as it runs on Three network. Cost £3.99pcm for 500 mins, 5000 texts and 500mb data which rolls over. At the price, I can't fault it.

Perhaps not pertinent to the thread but there are some good deals available for light / casual users. My mum is now in her nineties and won't budge from a crappy landline across to a simple mobile. Falls and trips etc. No peace of mind for the rest of the family unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    My mum is 81 and in the past she had a doro flip phone on a payg sim. This was fine but she was always reluctant to use it as she was afraid of running out of credit. In the end we bought her a contract iPhone 5 SE on 3 with unltd calls and texts and some amount of data. Also has free 3 to 3 calls. Setting the phone up for big text and icons etc. was pretty easy and she loves it. Costs us less than £20 a month and she now feels much happier about calling using it.
    I knew there was an option for large text on iOS but is there one for larg icons too?

Got my 88 year old mother an iPhone se £17 a month and unlimited minutes, she now uses this for all calls and FaceTime the great grand daughter, house phone is only for emergencies now