closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EXP II 42mm

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well after a quick sprint from Sussex into Kent and back, i now have a white dial on my wrist

It's black as night here so a very Q&D, and complete with stickers still on. I doubt i will bother with more tomorrow not being a connoisseur with a camera but if it's a nice day (some bloody hope) i may try for something better.

Right now it looks puny but i'm sure it will grow on me. Something more shirt-cuff friendly was the principal criteria which it meets very well.

Craftsman
    My Alpha homage of the white faced explorer arrived today. I'll wear this for a couple of weeks to see how I get on with it. I'm pretty sure I'll go for a white face though...

OP thats a stunning watch!

Looks lovely. Won't take long to get used to the smaller size.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Congrats shadowman. Looks like your quest is over and the result is great!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks chaps. Indeed the quest is over, for a while at least! I've got one Panerai due next year but unsure if i will take it, i'm tired of must haves. The more practical and serious side of me has re-awoken and whilst casual 'investment' in watches is better than bank rates and there are profitable opportunities, at the risk of sounding blasé, i'm tired of that and just want to enjoy some select pieces and get on with other stuff.

The recent Anonimo and now a return to a Rolex is a significant departure from Panerai for me.

Talking of Anonimo, i'm still waiting on a strap that's got screwed up in the Christmas mail, but here's a head shot or two of it.

Arghh.. lovely photos... and now that little devil is in my mind.. do I stick with the "classic" Polar Explorer or sell up and upgrade !!

+1 to the white explorer II owners club.

This time i lined up my short list of standard black sub (with date), black exp II and white exp II.
    I tried to like the black sub - but i dont dive and it looked too shiny.
    I tried to like the black exp - but i didnt like the hands (especially the black "floating hands" that are blacker than the dial)
    ... which left the white exp as the winner!

Got a little bit of discount so i'm happy (and this from the Rolex shop).
    Wearing it now - very comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    +1 to the white explorer II owners club.

This time i lined up my short list of standard black sub (with date), black exp II and white exp II.
    I tried to like the black sub - but i dont dive and it looked too shiny.
    I tried to like the black exp - but i didnt like the hands (especially the black "floating hands" that are blacker than the dial)
    ... which left the white exp as the winner!

Got a little bit of discount so i'm happy (and this from the Rolex shop).
    Wearing it now - very comfy.
    Congrats, I think the explorer 2 started off not so popular but I think over the last 6 months more and more people are buying. I reckon the prices on these used will start to creep up to sub level soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    They are growing on me. Definitely ten white dial though. I clocked the hands straight away on ten black and it spoilt it for me completely.

I like the classic 40mm too though.

Craftsman
    Still not sure about the white version. It's definitely more marmite than the black.

It's something about the colouring of the white, the hands, and the indices that seems to cheapen the watch in my view.

That said, I've never had one on my wrist, so perhaps that would change my perception.

Quote Originally Posted by tomah View Post
    Still not sure about the white version. It's definitely more marmite than the black.

It's something about the colouring of the white, the hands, and the indices that seems to cheapen the watch in my view.

That said, I've never had one on my wrist, so perhaps that would change my perception.
    If ever there's a watch that you need to see on your wrist, and in different light conditions, it's the Exp II 42. Both dials look/wear very nicely on the wrist (away from macro pics), and the white looks much better in "real world" lighting then even in window displays. In my experience, AD's shiny spot-lighting can flatter some designs, but make others look a bit much.

I do think that the new Exp II (especially the whitey) is the best thing they've done in the last decade.

Coming from someone who owned (some of) the glorified and much sought-after vintage pieces when they were new, it should count for something.

Totally agree that the White dial needs to be tried on and in some "real world" lighting too.......the Black is easier choice as it just looks "right" but don't dismiss the White before trying it on the wrist.

Master
    + 1 for the Black Dial Explorer II.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post

Been working abroad or on an extended holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by Horologos View Post
    You seriously bumped an (almost) 2year old thread to post that?!

EXP II 42mm

Also +1 for the black dial. I've had mine a month and love it. Picked it up at a great price as well, which helps.
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 23rd October 2014 at 20:34.

Master
    There's a new Explorer out??

Craftsman
    IMO opinion Rolex did a really bad job with the new explorer ii. i think if they just scaled up the previous gen in the same way they did with the sub and gmt, the watch would be far more aesthetically pleasing

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by exp- View Post
    IMO opinion Rolex did a really bad job with the new explorer ii. i think if they just scaled up the previous gen in the same way they did with the sub and gmt, the watch would be far more aesthetically pleasing
    Ok it's an old post, but...

imho the 42mm Exp, is so much better than the previous version - which I really quite like anyway. Although they black face with "floating hands" does nothing for me. We have already seen with the Exp "1" how you can lose almost perfect proportions by simply increasing the scale.

The White face however, is one of the few watches Id actually swap something I already own for. The only other watches I feel the same about are the Panoinverse and maybe a Ceramic Sub/SD.
    It's just a matter of time...

good thread guys. I have to ask owners- would you ever swim with one? I know it's WR can handle it but would this/ could this be a watch you never take off? I've got an Omega Seamaster which I'm thinking of px-ing but I love the fact I never have to take it off my wrist on holiday or play anywhere and I'd want it's replacement to do the same. I was thinking of going down to a Steinhart but if I can afford it would the Explorer (1 or 2) be an option. (PS my swimming is just jumping in a pool and splashing about with my daughter)
    Opinions welcomed

I wore an older exp2 as my main watch for years - dived with it and wore it for anything and everything - I'm sure the newer model is more than up to the same use/abuse.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    good thread guys. I have to ask owners- would you ever swim with one? I know it's WR can handle it but would this/ could this be a watch you never take off? I've got an Omega Seamaster which I'm thinking of px-ing but I love the fact I never have to take it off my wrist on holiday or play anywhere and I'd want it's replacement to do the same. I was thinking of going down to a Steinhart but if I can afford it would the Explorer (1 or 2) be an option. (PS my swimming is just jumping in a pool and splashing about with my daughter)
    Opinions welcomed
    The Exp II is a solid watch, I have worn my 42mm swimming in the sea and pool many a times. I dont think there is any reason to take off a Rolex Sports unless in a dodgy area.

I find the Exp II goes under the radar anyhow - most people wouldn't have a clue its a Rolex, also with the second time zone etc it is a great travel / all rounder watch

good thread guys. I have to ask owners- would you ever swim with one?
    The Explorer II is water resistant to 100m (10 BAR / 10 ATM). What possible reason could there be for not swimming with one?!

(Assuming that you can swim already, of course ...)

like both versions,whats is the best rate for these new and second hand?

found an older model polar face (16570) for less than £2800!!! that seems a lot of watch for the money

(i'm not opening up the WR and swimming debate again)

Master
    found an older model polar face (16570) for less than £2800!!! that seems a lot of watch for the money

(i'm not opening up the WR and swimming debate again)
    That certainly sounds like a good deal. From what I've seen Explorer II's are the bargains of the SS watches and are something a little bit different from your Sub/GMT fare. The only thing I've read about that might be of interest is that the bezels can get scratched easily