closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulova Precisionist 50% off...

Bulova Precisionist 50% off...

In the John Lewis sale - a few models - but only 1 left of the model I've snagged ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Will be interested to hear your thoughts when it arrives.... not sure on these.

Which model did you get?

Banned
    Great tech. behind these, but I've not seen any that appeal to me so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Great tech. behind these, but I've not seen any that appeal to me so far.
    + 1 to that. Have to say the smooth sweep seconds on these is mesmerising.

They're supposed to have the most accurate quartz movement in the World??
    I had a rose gold version, pretty big but a little bit over the top for me and so I sold it

they're a big large but nice tech, wasn't it used by omega once upon a time?

a work mate (non-WIS) has one, I asked him about it and he said - well I wanted a sweeping second hand but not a watch that I needed to wind up or keep wearing, so this was the only choice

can't argue with that !!

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Which model did you get?
    Went for this one - been looking at it for a while. Only seen it originally with a brown dial, which I wasn't convinced on. Tried this exact model on whilst on holiday - but they only offered 15% off, which wasn't great - at least with this, I'm never going to lose too much. I think it's worth every penny of £125-£150.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Went for this one - been looking at it for a while. Only seen it originally with a brown dial, which I wasn't convinced on. Tried this exact model on whilst on holiday - but they only offered 15% off, which wasn't great - at least with this, I'm never going to lose too much. I think it's worth every penny of £125-£150.

Yes, that one looks good, I've only seen the chronos before and they looked too busy for me.

I am sure Bulova used to be the worlds largest watchmaker - I think they must be pretty close again today - well the parent company is, Citizen! They have a lot of history as a brand, and it is good to see them doing something interesting - I like the idea of the movement, just need to see what it is like in reality.

Only just notices it's rated as 30m! Damn me and my on the spare of the moment purchases! Oh well, at this price I'm not going to take it off for any wet work and if it fails it fails!

I don't like the look of this one - even reduced 50% from £399!

I've said this before but I believe our tastes are similar so I knew it'd be this one.

To me it has a look of the JLC AMVOX1 with those numerals.

The only thing about it is that in some wristshots, the case seems to strangely curve over the wrist like it's bent....a bit like some Salvador Dali clock. Know what I mean?

I've said this before but I believe our tastes are similar so I knew it'd be this one.

To me it has a look of the JLC AMVOX1 with those numerals.

The only thing about it is that in some wristshots, the case seems to strangely curve over the wrist like it's bent....a bit like some Salvador Dali clock. Know what I mean?
    Yes, I have noticed that effect. Looking forward to getting it now :) I think it may well be a cheap keeper.

Yes, I have noticed that effect. Looking forward to getting it now :) I think it may well be a cheap keeper.
    Cool. Let us know your thoughts when you get it please.

I snagged the last one you mentioned. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cool. Let us know your thoughts when you get it please.

I snagged the last one you mentioned. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Fantastic!

I will do, we can swap notes but can't go wrong really for that price.

Hope you have a fantastic family day planned.

All the best.

Fantastic!

I will do, we can swap notes but can't go wrong really for that price.

Hope you have a fantastic family day planned.

All the best.
    Indeed, we shall! (by the way I agree with you on the other one you posted - looks horrible)

Same to you and your closest- Merry Christmas , have a great day.

Master
    John Lewis at Brent Cross has one with Bracelet in the display window for the same sale price. (£114.50 IRRC)

Politely asked to try it on - it definitely looked better on the iPad than real life.

Maybe it is still there.

Oh don't say that.

Although I'm not sure how good I think it should look.I'm going to enjoy it anyway :-)

Hmm...so it may disappoint in the metal (?)

Well the box arrived yesterday but I'm yet to open it (last minute plans and dash to friends' for NYE).

I really should open it today then I guess, hadn't I?

(after this cup of tea I'm having, shower etc. )

Hmm...so it may disappoint in the metal (?)

Well the box arrived yesterday but I'm yet to open it (last minute plans and dash to friends' for NYE).

I really should open it today then I guess, hadn't I?

(after this cup of tea I'm having, shower etc. )
    Well, first impressions (model ; 96B129):

It's a big watch.

It's solid, heavy and feels very-well built. The bracelet is excellent ( very long, will probably need about 5 links out!)

The hand sweep is lovely although if I'm totally honest, I'm a tiny bit disappointed it's not even smoother. To compare it to the near-perfect glide of a Seiko Spring Drive which is over twenty times more dear would be unfair though.

The case does curve over in shape and hence over the wrist, as I mentioned I had noticed in photos, earlier in this thread. Not sure I'm keen on this tbh.

The dial design does have a slightly cheap look to it; 'might be the numerals - not refined imo but again, some consideration must be given to the price point. As I said, no complaints about the tangible quality and build.

A small aside. Scott, could you let me know if you have the same issue. There is a small yellow plastic tag fitted between the crown and case which I can't break off and I seemingly won't be able to remove without the crown having to come off. Wondering if I'm missing something but if this is something that should have been removed after manufacture, this would just be so typically the sort of thing that happens to me!

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives - hopefully be here tomorrow.

It'll be good to compare it to the Seiko sweep - but I think I'm just going to buy a GS GMT to have that base covered.

Always good to try these things though, and I am sure at the price point it is fairly good value - but will reserve judgement until I'd have a good couple of weeks with it. I have read a few good reviews and one with a few cons - i.e. too much hand slack when changing time making it hard to get the right minute etc.

Master
    I thought the yellow plastic piece was to stop the watch from running?

I'm sure it'd come off after pulling the crown out.

The yellow plastic bit is to stop the watch and save the battery. It came off very easily on mine (I have the brown dial and strap model) when I pulled the crown out.

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives - hopefully be here tomorrow.

It'll be good to compare it to the Seiko sweep - but I think I'm just going to buy a GS GMT to have that base covered.

Always good to try these things though, and I am sure at the price point it is fairly good value - but will reserve judgement until I'd have a good couple of weeks with it. I have read a few good reviews and one with a few cons - i.e. too much hand slack when changing time making it hard to get the right minute etc.
    There is a bit of slack and there is no comparison with the sweep of a GS. Nice watch for the money and I really like the curved case and crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    There is a bit of slack and there is no comparison with the sweep of a GS. Nice watch for the money and I really like the curved case and crystal.
    i have played with one in store, but I've only owned one GS spring drive and one none GS spring drive. But even so, there is no comparison in the overall finish, but that said the £100 odd pound GS spring drive is yet to be made ;)

rsykes2000/esm,

Thanks, I've sorted it now. At first, I wasn't able to get my nail in between the crown and tag to pull the crown out - Was perhaps a bit worried about pulling the tag off too roughly and affecting the crown but actually being gentle and easing it off was straightforward.

Also - didn't notice much hand slack to be honest. I've seen a lot worse.

Well, happily surprised! Watch is great, fits well and although similarly with the Seiko MM300 - I wish they built it to a higher price and finish, but for the money is is great.

I like the 3 stepped dial - numbers are a little shiny and case could be finished to a higher spec, but I'm very pleased with it and it is different enough from any of my other watches to warrant its place :)

All in all a very good budget purchase and better than some much more expensive Tissot etc. that I've handled.

Oh, no hand slack on mine - which I was very relieved about :)

Banned
    Well, happily surprised! Watch is great, fits well and although similarly with the Seiko MM300 - I wish they built it to a higher price and finish, but for the money is is great.

I like the 3 stepped dial - numbers are a little shiny and case could be finished to a higher spec, but I'm very pleased with it and it is different enough from any of my other watches to warrant its place :)

All in all a very good budget purchase and better than some much more expensive Tissot etc. that I've handled.

Oh, no hand slack on mine - which I was very relieved about :)
    Can you do us some photos when you get a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Can you do us some photos when you get a chance?
    Yes of course, I will do. Camera is at the folks from Christmas - but will get some this week.

The only thing that strikes me as a real cost saving is the case looks like a mould and the edges aren't as sharp as my more expensive watches.

As per usual, I seem to have got the short straw.

Received my Bulova Precisionist from John Lewis today.
    Because they wouldn't deliver to Rep. of Ireland, I sent it to my N.I address, and a m8 brought it some of the way, but I still had to drive 40 miles to pick it up.
    Was a little worried to find the watch unbuckled and thrown loose in the box beside the cushion, but definitely not a happy camper, when I peeled off, the immaculate, brand new crystal protector, to find this:

It looks like it was owned by someone who works in a sandpaper factory.

aaaargh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Was a little worried to find the watch unbuckled and thrown loose in the box beside the cushion, but definitely not a happy camper, when I peeled off, the immaculate, brand new crystal protector, to find this:
    WTH has happened to that one???

Bloody hell. When I first opened the thread I missed the text and saw the photo first - thought someone was doing a show 'n' tell of their vintage version.

That's really bad luck and poor form. I hope that has happened in transit rather than in-store and JL believing anyone would be happy to receive that.

Bloody hell. When I first opened the thread I missed the text and saw the photo first - thought someone was doing a show 'n' tell of their vintage version.

That's really bad luck and poor form. I hope that has happened in transit rather than in-store and JL believing anyone would be happy to receive that.
    Definitely didn't get damaged in transit.
    The packaging was totally undamaged and the watch had a brand new unmarked crystal protector on it.
    The photo makes it look worse, but as you can see it's definitely all scratched.
    Last edited by Zimmer; 4th January 2013 at 15:28.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it sorted out. Some consolation I guess with it being John Lewis, you're not going to have any problems returning it and getting your money back.

If it's out of stock there for an exchange, it might be worth checking Amazon - they have the same model when I checked a week or so ago. It may be a little bit more than what you paid but it's still not a bad price.

I don't mean to rub it in but I've been wearing mine for the past couple of days and I'm growing to like it more than I did. The steel has a nice sheen (I have the bracelet version), it's big and the curve in the glass gives it an acrylic-like effect over the dial. It's big - for a while there I thought too big - but I'm happy with it. And the stepped dial with cut-out numerals is impressive for a watch at this level. Overall, it's great for the money.

Good luck with getting your situation resolved. Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by scarto; 4th January 2013 at 17:03.

Bulova Precisionist 50% off...

I was just in John Lewis in Kingston, they have one in the display cabinet if that helps

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it sorted out. Some consolation I guess with it being John Lewis, you're not going to have any problems returning it and getting your money back.

If it's out of stock there for an exchange, it might be worth checking Amazon - they have the same model when I checked a week or so ago. It may be a little bit more than what you paid but it's still not a bad price.

I don't mean to rub it in but I've been wearing mine for the past couple of days and I'm growing to like it more than I did. The steel has a nice sheen (I have the bracelet version), it's big and the curve in the glass gives it an acrylic-like effect over the dial. It's big - for a while there I thought too big - but I'm happy with it. And the stepped dial with cut-out numerals is impressive for a watch at this level. Overall, it's great for the money.

Good luck with getting your situation resolved. Let us know how you get on.
    Been wearing mine for a few days too and I think it is fantastic - and even more so at the price point. Very pleased indeed.

Update.
    Sent watch back to John Lewis on 07/01/13. Explained that I would like an exchange because of the scratches, and I also mentioned, that it cost me £10 to return it (registered post from Rep. of Ireland). I included my email address and phone number. Didn't get any reply or explanation of any description from John Lewis, and only today I noticed on my credit card statement, they had refunded the original purchase price of £99.50 on 14/01/13.
    That's the first and last time, they will have me as a customer.

Anyway, bought the "brown" version from Amazon,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulova-96B12...8896119&sr=8-1
    for the same £99 so hopefully, I'll have better luck when that one arrives.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
    Update.
    Sent watch back to John Lewis on 07/01/13. Explained that I would like an exchange because of the scratches, and I also mentioned, that it cost me £10 to return it (registered post from Rep. of Ireland). I included my email address and phone number. Didn't get any reply or explanation of any description from John Lewis, and only today I noticed on my credit card statement, they had refunded the original purchase price of £99.50 on 14/01/13.
    That's the first and last time, they will have me as a customer.

Anyway, bought the "brown" version from Amazon,
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulova-96B12...8896119&sr=8-1
    for the same £99 so hopefully, I'll have better luck when that one arrives.
    is it too late to cancel?

there is one for £88.xx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulova-Gents..._sbs_watches_2

Quote Originally Posted by esm View Post
    is it too late to cancel?

there is one for £88.xx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulova-Gents..._sbs_watches_2

Yes thanks anyway m8, ordered mine a couple of days ago at £99, typical.
    Still great price though.