closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Winders

Journeyman

Watch Winders

I have now got 4 automatic watches; I think it is time to invest in a winder box. Any recommendations?

Whilst on the subject, I would appreciate some advice...

Can you tell me which way I would need to set the winding for each watch (clockwise or anticlockwise?) in my signature block?

How long would I need to have the watches winding each day to enable me to put it on out of the box without having to set the time?

Do they use much electricity?

Ta

Craftsman
    i think i wouldn't bother with a watchwinder personally..... if i preferred one watch over the others, then i would just manually wind the others periodically say once a week just to keep the movement moving.

my old timex had been sitting in a drawer for years and it doesn't seem to have done any harm, for a non-jewelled movement it performs quite well considering.

it takes all of 20 seconds to wind a watch, why bother spending all that money on a contraption to do it for you? the whole idea of a mechanical watch is the tactile feeling of winding it..... if i was that worried about it, i would have a collection of quartz.

some of the best display back watches are non-automatic, you see a lot more and if you already decided in advance which watch you wish to wear, then it doesn't take too long to wind it, set time and date if it has that function. that is the thrill of a proper watch!

just my thoughts!

Master
    I was thinking the same as you as I own a few autos, but he is right. I enjoy taking the time to wind it and set the date.

No idea on rotation direction but I have had a cheap 2 watch winder for years that I picked up from ebay for around £30. Does the job well although I tend not to keep the same one on it all the time. I like to let them run down once in a while but its always nice to know there are 2 ready for action while the other 4 take a break and ones on the wrist.

Journeyman
    I dont have a winder, I try to wear my two autos equally, but atm am favouring my Submariner, does not wearing one for long periods do damage??

Master
    I bought a Rapport watch winder about 7 years ago for my speedy, used it for a couple of months got fed up listening to it whirring away and it hasnt been used since, these are now £500, save your money.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    I bought a Rapport watch winder about 7 years ago for my speedy, used it for a couple of months got fed up listening to it whirring away and it hasnt been used since, these are now £500, save your money.
    Hope it wasnt a manual wind speedy :D

Why are the Rapport so expensive, what makes them better than the others?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp2k View Post
    Hope it wasnt a manual wind speedy :D

Why are the Rapport so expensive, what makes them better than the others?
    I dont think they are any better regarding winding the watch but they are very well made, they look excellent and must have about 15 coats of varnish on the wood and all the fittings are highly polished brass, very plush interior. Definitely not worth the new price but a good second hand cheap one is the way to go if you really want one.

Apprentice
    The Orbita Database is a good source for referencing direction and turns per day for specific watches and movements.

http://orbita.com/database-search/

Master
    Am I allowed to post here? I have >250 posts?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Am I allowed to post here? I have >250 posts?
    Facetious question? If no, then yes.

Have you got a watch winder? If yes, then yes.

Master
    I can see why you want to speed post, but I'd prefer if you stuck all your posts of drivel in one thread. Start a new thread called "shite" and post away until your hearts content. Frees up the rest of the forum for real discussion by those with a genuine interest.

How you think this garbage goes unnoticed is beyond me.

Journeyman
    I can see why you want to speed post, but I'd prefer if you stuck all your posts of drivel in one thread. Start a new thread called "shite" and post away until your hearts content. Frees up the rest of the forum for real discussion by those with a genuine interest.

Why is this garbage? I thought my photos were quite good, as did many others.

Speed post. What, am I supposed to sit and wait for people like you to post and I sit and marvel at their wit? This is a public forum.
    I am currently enduring strictly come dancing.... This is a welcome distraction. More to the point, I spent a good deal of time taking, uploading and posting photos.

Anyway why do you think I need to speed post? It offers me nothing now. I don't need to view sc or any other 'hallowed' territory. I certainly don't need to justify myself to rude comments. I have looked at some of your previous posts... I suggest you do the same before you level any more insults my way.

Have a great Christmas.

Craftsman

very harsh. okay so the bloke made the mistake of asking about sc as a newbie member looking to buy a nice watch..... he has achieved that goal already through a second hand dealer on the web. the bloke has taken a lot of shit from a lot of members because of it.....

a few of us asked to see some pics of his new watch and collection.... quite a nice collection too. perhaps you are the guy selling a bremont on sc hence the daggers because he bought one elsewhere?

many newbies make the mistake of posting about sc..... doesn't look like he is bothered about a post count reset to zero, he is participating in the forum and sharing photos, stories and asking questions..... can't really say any of it spam the last few days i've been reading.

hope he stays around.... the last couple of your posts haven't exactly been world class.

Grand Master
    I thought I needed one and managed to get one that fitted in a safe with a battery supply but it made too much noise so I removed it and then didnt like leaving it on the side and eventually I stopped using it at all and just wore the watches in rotation thus negating the need for it. I remember a quote a while ago when someone asked if you need to keep it wound and the reply was 'You dont leave your car running in your garage do you?'
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    very harsh. okay so the bloke made the mistake of asking about sc as a newbie member looking to buy a nice watch..... he has achieved that goal already through a second hand dealer on the web. the bloke has taken a lot of shit from a lot of members because of it.....

a few of us asked to see some pics of his new watch and collection.... quite a nice collection too. perhaps you are the guy selling a bremont on sc hence the daggers because he bought one elsewhere?

many newbies make the mistake of posting about sc..... doesn't look like he is bothered about a post count reset to zero, he is participating in the forum and sharing photos, stories and asking questions..... can't really say any of it spam the last few days i've been reading.

hope he stays around.... the last couple of your posts haven't exactly been world class.
    Are you deluded? His last dozen threads have been pure shite, started in order to get the post count up. A new thread for each watch. With the photos upside down!

I've never owned a Bremont, and never will, but you feel free to jump to ridiculous conclusions.

Craftsman
    Are you deluded? His last dozen threads have been pure shite, started in order to get the post count up. A new thread for each watch. With the photos upside down!

I've never owned a Bremont, and never will, but you feel free to jump to ridiculous conclusions.
    well you seem ratheer happy to increase your post count with your vitriol towards a newbie member..... delusional maybe..... or just f***** up in the head.... either way is fine with me because a post count doesn't really matter to some of us.....

plenty of gratuitous heuer pics for self knicker creaming when sharing with the community.... what's the difference! like i said earlier, make 6 months to view sc ans then 12 months to post there...... or is that too sensible for a keyboard warrior like yourself.

Journeyman

Apologies for the upside down photos; I am still learning how to use my Ipad.

You miss the point of my posts entirely. No desire to reach a total, merely contributing whilst I have the time.

Bremonts. I had no idea they were so contentious, inviting such belligerent comment. Perhaps open your mind to a pair of true enthusiasts - British too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish View Post
    well you seem ratheer happy to increase your post count with your vitriol towards a newbie member..... delusional maybe..... or just f***** up in the head.... either way is fine with me because a post count doesn't really matter to some of us.....

plenty of gratuitous heuer pics for self knicker creaming when sharing with the community.... what's the difference! like i said earlier, make 6 months to view sc ans then 12 months to post there...... or is that too sensible for a keyboard warrior like yourself.
    Sorry I can make no sense of this.

Journeyman
    On one of the other forums there was a discussion whether using a watch finder is good for the watch itself. Any views on this?

Journeyman
    I guess a winder is good for highly complex movements like the patek star map (not sure what its called) as that will take ages to set correctly

I had a newsletter from Jura last week advertising some pretty nice looking watch winders but every single one was out of stock

I have a Rapport two watch winder that I got from Goldsmiths years ago with Tesco vouchers it was back when you got 4X the value so wasn't too expensive. I don't think they are worth the money otherwise, the box itself looks nice and is much better quality than the gubbins inside. One of the motors broke after about a year but I called in Rapports (they are based in Cardiff where I live) I couldn't find the receipt but they didn't query it just fixed it free of charge no questions asked and replaced both the cushions as well. Really nice people as it goes but I still wouldn't recommend the product because I think the internals are well iffy.

I do still find the winder useful to be able to grab and go a watch in the morning knowing it's already running and no faffing about.

Christopher Ward has some nice looking winders at a relatively reasonable price. I'm sure I have seen Roland Kemmner doing some as well but there aren't any on his eBay site at the moment ?.

Not keen on Bremont generally but do like the MB could see myself wearing one of those.

Digger

Quote Originally Posted by roys View Post
    On one of the other forums there was a discussion whether using a watch finder is good for the watch itself. Any views on this?
    Yes, they are fine.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Yes, they are fine.
    Fine if you want to ensure the watch is incurring the maximum possible rate of wear.

Think about it; mainspring fully wound so it's slipping in it's barrel all the time and causing wear. Maximum torque going through the movement too, 24/7, ensuring that the wear-rate on all moving parts is maximised.

Yep, a brilliant idea......a must-have if you're too lazy to set your watches when you chose to wear them.

Only exception is for complicated perpetuals that really have to be kept running otherwise the calendar goes silly.....but how many folks own one?

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd December 2012 at 02:22.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I got one, used it for a while but don't anymore. Like others have said, most autos can be manually wound. Given auto accuracy they mostly need periodic adjustment and it is no trouble to wind them at the same time. If you want awatch that doesn't require winding then you can always get a quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by chutley View Post
    Any recommendations?
    Don't bother.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    The reason why watches have a crown is that it is meant to be used. I have never owned or wanted a winder!

I've got one that a mate gave me, he in turn was given it by his AD. I have never used it. Free to anyone who wants it for the cost of postage, which will probably be a few quid as it is fairly big - two winding slots and four static storage slots.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Fine if you want to ensure the watch is incurring the maximum possible rate of wear.

Think about it; mainspring fully wound so it's slipping in it's barrel all the time and causing wear. Maximum torque going through the movement too, 24/7, ensuring that the wear-rate on all moving parts is maximised.

Yep, a brilliant idea......a must-have if you're too lazy to set your watches when you chose to wear them.

Only exception is for complicated perpetuals that really have to be kept running otherwise the calendar goes silly.....but how many folks own one?

Paul
    Paul, I've never really understood the maximum/increased wear argument; how is this different from wearing the watch 24/7?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I've got one that a mate gave me, he in turn was given it by his AD. I have never used it. Free to anyone who wants it for the cost of postage, which will probably be a few quid as it is fairly big - two winding slots and four static storage slots.
    Can I please take you up on your generous offer?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Got several winders, never use them, and I have several complicated watches. Save your money

Watch Winders

I find them rather useful for watches without a quickset date. Don't keep the winder in the bedroom though - a bit like trying to sleep with tinnitus...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    They have changed the motor speed sine then and are now much quieter

Quote Originally Posted by ukmidnite View Post
    Can I please take you up on your generous offer?
    Sorry, already gone.

Watch Winders

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Paul, I've never really understood the maximum/increased wear argument; how is this different from wearing the watch 24/7?
    Simple answer, it's no different.

I have a couple of Rapport winders in the bedroom do they're switched off most if the time.

Craftsman
    I have a nice Orbita that I started using about a month ago. I have half a dozen automatics, most with a date feature that I rotate regularly and just got tired of constantly resetting every single watch. The Orbitas are top quality, can be adjusted for frequency and direction of rotation and have a data base to help you choose the appropriate adjustment. They are also dead quiet so you could keep it in your bedroom without fear of having to listen to the motor running.

They are expensive, but I was able to get a massive bargain on one, so I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    Interesting.

This is from the Vacheron Constantin website;

"If your watch is not frequently worn, we recommend using a winding-box suitable for your model, in order to keep it in permanent operation. You will thus avoid having to adjust the watch functions too often."

Are they wrong?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    If an automatic watch is worn by a fairly active person, the mainspring is fully wound for 16hrs of the day (assuming said individual sleeps for 8hrs). When the spring is fully wound it slips inside the barrel, causing wear to the barrel walls. They're designed to stand up to this but, on the watches I`ve stripped down, the amount of barrel wear varies hugely even for watches of a similar age. I`ve seen 10-11 year old Omega 1120s with minimal wear to the barrel walls but I`ve seen similar watches in a really poor state. Clearly one has incurred a much higher wear rate. In this case the whole watch was very worn and had obviously led a hard life.

Typically, for a person who is active for 16hrs, the watch will maintain around 95-100% of full wind. At some times during the day the watch will reach full wind and the spring will be slipping, that's normal. The point I`m making is that watch winder ensures the watch is fully wound and moving, thus causing the spring to be slipping all the time. The other (lesser) effect is torque; a fully wound spring is putting maximum torque through the movement. hTis is fine for amplitude but the wear rate on all parts will also be at it's maximum. Not sure how much difference this makes, it's probably minimal, but it's still a truism.

The major argument against a watch winder is the simple one. If a watch is spending half of the week (or longer) stopped, it's incurring zero wear. Whilst it isn`t running, it isn`t wearing. Absolutely no point keeping 4 (or more) watches running just for the sake of it. For 2 watches that get worn around 50% of the time this isn`t such an issue, because the watch keeps running for approx 40hrs when it's taken off and would therefore spend the majority of its time running.

Paul

Paul, you're making the assumption that a watch winder runs all the time - they don't! For example, mine has 6 different programs and when I take a watch out I can add a large number of crown rotations before it's fully wound so it certainly isn't keeping the spring at full tension all the time. I would say that it's similar, in terms of overall wear, to a person wearing a single watch full-time.