timefactors watches
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Seiko 6390 7040 how much are they?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1

    Seiko 6390 7040 how much are they?

    What can I expect to pay for a Seiko 6390 7049 ?

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1
    That's 6390 7040

  3. #3
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    10,083
    If you mean 6309-7040 anywhere from 100 to 250 depending on originality and condition
    ktmog6uk
    jon thompson

    marchingontogether!

    Fast and bulbous.
    that's right, The Mascara Snake. Fast and bulbous.
    Also, a tinned teardrop.
    Bulbous also tapered.
    That's right.

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1
    I do mean 6309 7040

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Just West of Chester City
    Posts
    1,242
    As said, about 100- 150 for a 6309 made up of mostly after market parts and in good order or 250- 350 upwards for an all original 6309 dependent on condition and servicing. I sold my all original 6309-7040 bought in 1977 for 280 but it was pristine and had been serviced.

    Have a good read up on what constitutes after market parts (Visit SCWF for in depth discussion).There is a huge difference in quality. If you can, save up for an all original. You won't regret it in the long run and you can move it on easily. Regards.Kev

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North of Normal!
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Anywhere from 100 to 450 plus for a mint/original/NOS one.
    I agree with Duncan there is a wide price scale there but you need to do your homework as there are a lot of duff watches out there bodged up and full of aftermarket parts, I would only buy one with all original parts.

    Andy

  7. #7
    Master yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,684
    Blog Entries
    1
    They are great watches, but with these, you get what you pay for. I've got one that's been relumed and recently serviced. I did pay a mighty sum for it, but it's worth it.

    Last edited by yonsson; 23rd December 2012 at 09:41.

  8. #8
    Master Cannop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    4,894
    You can have my very early, all original, serviced example for 450. Maybe

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for the info, I've been offered one for 145,has a replaced dial and new bezel insert, both aftermarket, your thoughts.....

  10. #10
    Master Glen Goyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,518

    Seiko 6390 7040 how much are they?

    Hard to say without pics and condition. Personally I understand aftermarket inserts, they tend to wear. Are you sure you want an aftermarket aka fake dial?

    I have an all original and a repolished with new insert. If you look you can find original for just a little more.

  11. #11
    Master patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Valencia
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggeynuggets View Post
    Thanks for the info, I've been offered one for 145,has a replaced dial and new bezel insert, both aftermarket, your thoughts.....
    If you trawl the net you should be able to find a dial and insert if you want an all origional example.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North of Normal!
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggeynuggets View Post
    Thanks for the info, I've been offered one for 145,has a replaced dial and new bezel insert, both aftermarket, your thoughts.....
    I personally wouldn't touch one with any replacement parts ESPECIALLY the dial!

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1
    Andy, why is that, I am led to believe they are original Seiko aftermarket new dial and bezel insert.....

  14. #14
    Master yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,684
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    If you trawl the net you should be able to find a dial and insert if you want an all origional example.
    Being a purist, I would never buy a 6309 with an aftermarket dial. They just look wrong. And I also think the dial should match the production year, and case, meaning if it's a suwa case, it should have a suwa dial. Therefor it would be hard to find a matching original dial after buying a watch. The original dials don't come up that often, but then again, it's not like I've been hunting for them, so I might be wrong.

    And I would never buy a 30 year old watch that hasn't been serviced.

  15. #15
    Master yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,684
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggeynuggets View Post
    Andy, why is that, I am led to believe they are original Seiko aftermarket new dial and bezel insert.....
    There is no such thing as an original Seiko aftermarket dial for the 6309. It's a 30 year old watch. The service dials are long gone.

  16. #16
    Master Glen Goyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,518

    Seiko 6390 7040 how much are they?

    I have never seen an original seiko aftermarket dial for 6309. They don't exist. Perhaps one from another watch but dials for these - or bezel inserts - are not available from Seiko. Many guides to spot fake dials but without pics nothing to say for sure.

  17. #17
    Master yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,684
    Blog Entries
    1
    Aftermarket dials are easy to see. They don't have a beveled date window.

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1
    Right, thanks to all for your input, think you have answered my question, leave it alone...

  19. #19
    Master patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Valencia
    Posts
    3,856
    Don't be put off they're a great watch.Get a photo and post it there are lot's of experts here who can give you really good advice.

  20. #20
    Craftsman Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Don't be put off they're a great watch.Get a photo and post it there are lot's of experts here who can give you really good advice.

    They certainly are a fantastic watch, my one hasn't left my wrist since I got it, good luck with your search.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1
    s1.jpgs2.jpg

    Hope this ahs worked,some pics of what ive been offered...

  22. #22
    Master JCJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    60 57? 3? N, 25 49? 0? E
    Posts
    5,837
    Uhm...

    each to his/her own and so forth. A question like this is going to promote a plethora of answers which contents scatter to form a wide spectrum of subjective truths. In other words pay what you think is fair and dont look back. Me personally, I prefer either all original or all tampered with. - I utterly dislike original dials and hands in good condition being relumed. - If you want lume, please buy a new watch or use aftermarket dials and hands with after market lume put onto them. But that is just me. If you go for one, make sure that the bezel clicks properly, that you know the servicing history (or count the possible servicing cost on top of the purchase price), know the condition of the lug holes and first and foremost the condition of the crown/tube threads - I personally will pass examples that have less than 3 + finger turns on the crown and/or which have a ragged feeling to the threads when screwing in/out. Add the usual yaddayadda on knowing whether parts are original or not and please do buy the seller first, not the watch. All that and.

    As a side note, please do acknowledge that you can save quite a bit (both in buying price + forthcoming service costs) by pursuing something a tad more rugged than the 6309 in the form of vintage quartz: 7548 and 7C43. Yeah, they do lack the cushion case and do have batteries in them but they are sturdy indeed and have a plethora on technological inner beauty to themselves, especially so in the case of the 7C43. In case these are new models to you please find enclosed a couple piccies below:

    7548 with a after market bezel insert and domed sapphire crystal:




    All original 7C43:



    And another all original variant of the same ilk (7C43) - pic by Mike Mounce:





    Then - if you belong to them wise people who do not abhor quartz - you could go all the way and get a kinetic while you still can. - There are some truly awesome gems to found on that department...


    The one I miss dearly:




    Merry Christmas!

    Thanks,

  23. #23
    Master Cannop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    4,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Soggeynuggets View Post
    s1.jpgs2.jpg

    Hope this ahs worked,some pics of what ive been offered...
    That example has aftermarket hands, dial, crystal, insert and the movement has some corrosion on the rotor. You can bet your last dollar that it spent most of it's life an HHC (hot, humid country).

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scunthorpe
    Posts
    301
    Blog Entries
    1
    That 7548 is a beauty,where could i find one to buy....
    Quote Originally Posted by JCJM View Post
    Uhm...

    each to his/her own and so forth. A question like this is going to promote a plethora of answers which contents scatter to form a wide spectrum of subjective truths. In other words pay what you think is fair and dont look back. Me personally, I prefer either all original or all tampered with. - I utterly dislike original dials and hands in good condition being relumed. - If you want lume, please buy a new watch or use aftermarket dials and hands with after market lume put onto them. But that is just me. If you go for one, make sure that the bezel clicks properly, that you know the servicing history (or count the possible servicing cost on top of the purchase price), know the condition of the lug holes and first and foremost the condition of the crown/tube threads - I personally will pass examples that have less than 3 + finger turns on the crown and/or which have a ragged feeling to the threads when screwing in/out. Add the usual yaddayadda on knowing whether parts are original or not and please do buy the seller first, not the watch. All that and.

    As a side note, please do acknowledge that you can save quite a bit (both in buying price + forthcoming service costs) by pursuing something a tad more rugged than the 6309 in the form of vintage quartz: 7548 and 7C43. Yeah, they do lack the cushion case and do have batteries in them but they are sturdy indeed and have a plethora on technological inner beauty to themselves, especially so in the case of the 7C43. In case these are new models to you please find enclosed a couple piccies below:

    7548 with a after market bezel insert and domed sapphire crystal:




    All original 7C43:



    And another all original variant of the same ilk (7C43) - pic by Mike Mounce:





    Then - if you belong to them wise people who do not abhor quartz - you could go all the way and get a kinetic while you still can. - There are some truly awesome gems to found on that department...


    The one I miss dearly:




    Merry Christmas!

    Thanks,

  25. #25
    Master TakesALickin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Don't be put off buying one wiith aftermarket parts if you just want a watch to wear and enjoy. But don't pay much more than the aforementioned 100. Later, if you decide that you like the 6309 as a model and that you may be interested in acquiring several mint all original Seiko divers, then by all means begin pursuing a mint all original 6309. But be prepared to spend some time studying the various different ways to tell an all original, and only buy one that's running well. There are several people who specialize in Seiko service and restoration. They are usually a good place to start when looking for a pristine example.

    Myself, I took a modified 6309 in trade, and I couldn't be happier - because I own it to wear it. If I had an all original example I'd most likely be afraid to wear it. It would be a safe queen for me. The one I have has an after market re-lumed dial, an obvious after market insert and a set of MM300 hands. But it runs like a top, and looks like I want it to look (each to their own, right?).


  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    7,592
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Being a purist, I would never buy a 6309 with an aftermarket dial. They just look wrong. And I also think the dial should match the production year, and case, meaning if it's a suwa case, it should have a suwa dial. Therefor it would be hard to find a matching original dial after buying a watch. The original dials don't come up that often, but then again, it's not like I've been hunting for them, so I might be wrong.

    And I would never buy a 30 year old watch that hasn't been serviced.

    Why not?,I would expect it to be for sale at a price reflecting this and so priced for YOU to have it serviced then you know it's ok.I can't say I have ever been bothered about a watches history or whether it has had a recent service,If it works as it should then I'm happy,when it stops then it would go to the doctors to be fixed,oh and of all the watches Iv'e had Iv'e yet to have had a watch that has died,so I guess they are pretty robust things these watch thingys lol.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com