timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: -41 degrees in Eastern Europe!!

-41 degrees in Eastern Europe!!

We whinge at -1d, watch this clip especially the guy throwing boiling water

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20807587

Brrrrrr thats cold!

Rod

I lived in Siberia one winter about 20 years ago, and it got to -40. It was a very odd experience, because at that temperature it really doesn't feel cold. But you bloody well start to notice it if you stay out too long, even in warm clothes.

Master
    no wonder there's been deaths

Master
    It's a bit exaggerated there. Don't get me wrong, it's cold, but not that cold.
    In Bucharest there are about -7 degrees at the moment.
    More so, the clip doesn't even show images from Romania (at least that's what I see at first sight). The cars have Spain license plates. Weird...

Craftsman
    -40 C !, what is it in F?
    I always enjoy that one when convertions are talked about. Never experieced anything close...

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    I always enjoy that one when convertions are talked about. Never experieced anything close...

-40 C to Fahrenheit is the same -40F

Craftsman
    Gold star Alan

Is it as cold as it would be if it was -41 over here. I know Canadians who have came over to the UK and felt -2 being far colder than the average -22 that they get and this is because there is less moisture in the air over there.

Master

I was in Moscow at the weekend and with wind chill it was around -25 and I actually quite enjoyed it, was obviously wrapped up warm and walking around with gloves off for more than a few minutes resulted in pretty cold hands but realistically as someone said above once it gets to a certain level of 'cold' it really doesn't seem to make a huge difference, -10, -20, -30 probably make no odds, cold Is cold! I would admit it was a very different cold than in the UK though, it felt colder here at -2 stood on a windy football pitch than it did wandering around Red Square at -25!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Is it as cold as it would be if it was -41 over here. I know Canadians who have came over to the UK and felt -2 being far colder than the average -22 that they get and this is because there is less moisture in the air over there.
    Completely agree, I've noticed the same thing - been to Canada & EU snowboarding, and even 7 or 8°c here in Blighty feels way colder than minus figures in some locations. Many friend who have done seasons say the same - weird!

Banned
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20807587

Seems pretty cold in the East.

Master
    That was the same here last year (or was it the year before).

A place just a few miles from me recorded -17, whereas my car suggested it was -13 in my village. But... it didn't feel THAT cold and I never understood why.

Humidity has much to do with it. Like others have said, I have felt more painfully cold at zero degrees in the UK than at -30 in places like northern Scandinavia. Last week I left London at a painful zero degrees and arrived in what felt like balmy and comfy Switzerland at -10.

It's currently -18c (-26c with windchill) here. Last week in Northern Alberta at 7.30pm it was -32c (-40c with windchill). The locals say that when the temperature gets below -20c the actual temperature doesn't make much difference, I beg to disagree, it was so cold last winter that standing out at the gas pump to fill up was too long.

Master
    That's amazing watching that boiling water turn to snow?

Xmas day here is forecast +22 so it's a turkey sandwich on the beach for me

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Xmas day here is forecast +22 so it's a turkey sandwich on the beach for me
    Véry odd here in the mountains above Málaga this afternoon.
    The ambient air was touching 25 degrees but the sun was ´scorching´ the slate terrace and in the shade at the north side of the farm the slightest breeze of air entered like a hot air dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    My dad grew up in that sort of temperature. They had horse-drawn sleighs with bells and so-on; skiing to school. And he only ever once put his tongue to an iron pole.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    not sure what -40F is like
    but it is
    + 40 C here in Adelaide today!

^
    That would kill me.

This is what happens at -41:

-25 °C here atm. Crisp Christmas weather.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Foucault717 View Post
    -25 °C here atm. Crisp Christmas weather.
    Kinda jealous, unseasonably warm in the UK, around 10°C ish.. I prefer the cold/frost, even snow

Master
    I have a place in Central Europe where it often gets down to -20; the coldest it's been when I've been there is -30. Agree completely with what others have said about the relative comfort levels of (say) -2 here and -20 there. One problem though in some places is that public buildings (and many private houses) are often as hot as the surface of the sun, so you have frequent uncomfortable transitions from very hot to very cold.

My place is fairly old and has extremely thick walls so we can get by with fairly minimal heating all year round really, just a few hours a day to take the edge off.