An alternative to the ´What would you Rolex or JLC´ etc.:

The choice:
    - 18K JLC 35x
    - Longines UltraQuartz
    - ESA9210 engined watch
    - GP Equasion of Time quartz

Which one????
    Please explain why.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 20th December 2012 at 21:10.

is the 9210 the chrono version of the 9162, as fitted to the Speedsonic?

I like the idea of making a watch choice from the movement up, I am trying to get a 'rabbit' Tissot at the moment, with the same approach!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MR T View Post
    is the 9210 the chrono version of the 9162, as fitted to the Speedsonic?
    Yes, smooth ´gliding´ seconds hand and all; véry

Banned
    I'd rather just use my phone tbh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I'd rather just use my phone tbh.

Try using your head a bit more, you might even like it..............

All the best wishes to you cap.

I'll be milder next year.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Round faced ultraquartz looks interesting, i do like the dial on that one.

If you can find one, the Longines Ultraquartz, with L6512 would be lovely. I couldn't choose between them though, as they are all so different. Are you trying to decide between these or is the question hypothetical?

Forgot to mention, the movement in the Longines would be the deciding factor for me. What a circuit!

none, as I don't like the look of any of them

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    none, as I don't like the look of any of them
    For me it is not about the looks/image, but as you coúld have guessed very much more about the horologic technology.

Quite Mr.T. The UltraQuartz caliber is awesome. It is incredibly inventive.
    Longines was part of the CEH initiative but soon got the message that the BETA21 was not going to be a viable solution. They tranferred the largest part of their second allotment to Jaeger LeCoultre who díd use all theirs too, despite being involved in making the mechanical bits for the GP35x project and switching to that.
    Anyway, the Longiness engineers were originally clever in finding a way around the necessity to develop an integrated circuit. Untill the Seiko Spring Drive it was the only Cybernetic watch caliber. The circuitry is less complex than the wiring suggests but as it is unique and only about a handfull of experts on it ever existed and that was over 40 years ago, it is a bit of a little to no hoper if one fails.

The JLC in 18K is icing the high end cake.
    The ESA9210 with its gliding seconds hand is só cool and a VERY impressive example of technical engineering and VERY high quality manufacturing.
    The GP EoT is the last of the line; the highest level of serie produced high end swiss quartz calibers. Very sleek and só well made.

I can´t choose either; they are all high end examples of the technology. I want them all and one day probably will but you have to start the new year with sómething to wish for

I have a Speedsonic, so go with the ESA engine and you'll be happy. Are you thinking of a getting Speedsonic specifically, or one of the other watches made by alternative manufacturers that used this calibre?

Hmm very difficult choice Petrus. I've owned three ESA 9210 powered watches, two Speedsonics and a Certina. This was such an interesting period in horology and the tuning fork movement was a remarkable piece of lateral thinking from Max Hetzel.

Here's my old charges.

The Chronolympic is much rarer than the Speedsonic and, despite having the same movement, the case shape and feel on the wrist is totally different.

Having said all that I would love to get an Ultraquartz one day, simply because I find this transitional technology fascinating.

Cheers,
    Gary

love that Certina Gary - beautiful

Blog Entries
    Some lovely tuning/fork pieces there!

Just out of interest, how long does the battery last in a chrono like that?

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Some lovely tuning/fork pieces there!

Just out of interest, how long does the battery last in a chrono like that?

Daddel.
    It depends on usage but I usually got around 18 months out of a battery.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    love that Certina Gary - beautiful
    Thanks Adam. I sold it a while back but it's certainly a beautiful watch. It was a feast for the eyes with so many different textures and facets. The case is a real work of art with a lovely combination of graining and polished areas, plus the pushers are an unusual rounded of triangular shape.

The blue centre seconds chrono hand really leapt off the dial too.

They did a black and a blue dial version too but the silver is the rarest. Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake selling it but I guess you can't keep 'em all, no matter how much I'd like to.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post

Oooo, that is nice!

Thanks, the dial's a beauty on these GP Speedsonics with a lovely subtle linen texture.
    I'm not usually a fan of gold watches but that dial got me hook, line and sinker.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Thanks, the dial's a beauty on these GP Speedsonics with a lovely subtle linen texture.
    I'm not usually a fan of gold watches....
    I'm not either really, but I do like a bit of 70's gold/brown root beer style colouring. As you say, that dial is a cracker.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing those Tom.

I aam not keen on the Omega ´speedmaster´ style of dial and was thinking about the Chronolympic or the véry elegant white dialed square model Longines Ultronic. Sooner or later one will pop up at the right price.

Yes the first few years of the seventies were a feverishly creative period never seen before or after in horology with a wónderfull proliferation of wildly imaginative engineering designs.
    Piotr ´Piglet´ crazy watch has a seection on the web I cannot get enough of.

Blog Entries
    It depends on usage but I usually got around 18 months out of a battery.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks Gary,

That´s actually quite reasonable I reckon.

Daddel.

If I knew where this one is, I'd buy it back in a heartbeat - I miss this more than any other I've let go...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart D View Post
    If I knew where this one is, I'd buy it back in a heartbeat - I miss this more than any other I've let go...

Looks suspiciously like the one I picked up earlier this year - is there water ingress on your tachy bezel around 8 o'clock? I can't make it out from the photos.

EDIT - here's mine when I got it and before it went to STS for the works, so probably not the same after all given yours has the silver constant seconds hand!

Last edited by j0hnbarker; 22nd December 2012 at 13:33.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just made an offer on an 18K Jaeger LeCoultre 35x model 23303-21.

I think I am making the ´Rolex choice´ of the lot

The current value is comparable with the others yet it has a solid gold contents.
    The rest is without a doubt technically at léast as interesting and several models look a lot better imo but the JLC is 100% gold value for the money, reliable and just about guaranteed to return on ´investment´.
    I must be getting old.
    What?? Who am I kidding??!!
    I ám old!!!

Which one is that, do you have a sample picture? A google image search doesn't seem to provide a conclusive result.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Which one is that, do you have a sample picture? A google image search doesn't seem to provide a conclusive result.

http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresul...21-3131554.htm

It is 38.5 mm. w/o crown and it quite sturdy as it needs to house the rather hefty GP35x.

It is exactly the same as this one; 23303 is case, only in solid 18k:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/JAEGER-LECOUL...item51a206db6c

The one I am looking at has ever so slightly recessed triangles filling up the lug horn gaps, weiging in at 67 grammms.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 24th December 2012 at 13:35.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Just made an offer on an 18K Jaeger LeCoultre 35x model 23303-21.

I think I am making the ´Rolex choice´ of the lot

The current value is comparable with the others yet it has a solid gold contents.
    The rest is without a doubt technically at léast as interesting and several models look a lot better imo but the JLC is 100% gold value for the money, reliable and just about guaranteed to return on ´investment´.
    I must be getting old.
    What?? Who am I kidding??!!
    I ám old!!!
    Good luck.

We will no doubt get to see the pics, if you do get lucky.......

Daddel.

I'm surprised Petrus, that's a very conservative option for you.
    I'd have thought this was more your style.

Good luck though and have a great Christmas.

Cheers,
    Gary

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised Petrus, that's a very conservative option for you.
    I'd have thought this was more your style.
    Well, I díd observe that I am getting older

Also got that one covered already albeit in gold plate.

In a few minutes we are going out to an x-mas party thrown by the posher faction of the brit community here. Just donned it for that occasion

That gold plate one does go to point out a
    The gold comes at a discount as the one in 18k will not cost you the gold plated one plus scrap value but often at not much more than scrap value thus giving you the watch for free

Apart form exceptions like Patek of Rolex, electronics in 18k make thé best watch buys.

That looks lovely, would like to see a few more pics please when you get the opportunity.
    In the meantime enjoy your Christmas party

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. I know what you mean about getting older, I seem to be favouring more conservatively designed watches these days

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks.

I had pulled a muscle when under the car and by exception have a bad cold for once so tried to excuse myself from going.
    Gf dropped a packet of paper masks on y lap...
    The hint was clear.
    So we went, I mingled like crazy and have another invitaticion for tomorrow. I will need to ´hurry´ as the gf is flying to her family so I will go from the airport to the party. Only non too liberal married guests though, thus no flirting or bring your own.
    Ojala (= if only); easier to find an 18k electronic watch than a date on X-mas day alas.

Craftsman

Choices

This is one of my 2012 acquisitions - a Patek 'Nautilus' 3770 quartz model from 1982. Although commonly known as the 'Nautilus' 3770, it is actually officially known by Patek as an experimental model 3770/001J - a limited edition trial model that was inspired by both the Nautilus and the Elipse.

Movement is the Patek Philippe 6 jewel quartz Caliber E 27 - it is estimated to lose less than one second per year!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations Nugget.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Movement is the Patek Philippe 6 jewel quartz Caliber E 27 - it is estimated to lose less than one second per year!
    You may want to check on that performance claim; it would be way beyond the best tc performance.

Afaik the E27 has a conventional architecture with a variable resistor in the oscilating circuit to adjust to 1 - 2 sec/month within the usual temp. range.
    Could you perhaps share a photo of the caliber?? I am very keen to learn.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 25th December 2012 at 17:35.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Apart form exceptions like Patek of Rolex, electronics in 18k make thé best watch buys.
    Here a Patek example prooving the point:

Is priced at 11k. with about 1k of gold scrap value meaning you pay 10k for the watch bit.
    Cheap for an 18k Patek but VERY expensive for electronics in 18k.

Craftsman
    The true value of that watch is closer to £4K (Euro 5K) if not less - it has been sitting on Chrono24 for more than a year without moving.

The typical price of a Patek 3770 is £3K/3.5K sterling, and a maximum of Euro 4K which represents somewhat better value for money than your example.

I paid Euro 4K (at the top end) for mine because it had original (and a complete set of) papers (rare) and had just had a full service from Patek at a cost of Euro 1275 meaning that it was in pristine condition and will not need serviced for a long time.

I will see if I can get a photograph taken of the caliber in the next couple of days - I am a complete amateur at these things, so I can't promise anything special!

Master

Cool

The N.Ireland people on here really should have a gtg,maybe there is history here i'm not aware of?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I paid Euro 4K (at the top end) for mine because it had original (and a complete set of) papers (rare) and had just had a full service from Patek at a cost of Euro 1275 meaning that it was in pristine condition and will not need serviced for a long time.
    Which still prooves my point about the gold contents versus watch (brand) price. You paid 4K for a Patek E27.
    I bought the JLC at léss than 30 Euros per gram of 18k contents. I gaíned on buying a JLC 352.
    The more illustrative since JLC has always been a top manefacture even supplying PP...

I will see if I can get a photograph taken of the caliber in the next couple of days - I am a complete amateur at these things, so I can't promise anything special!
    Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 25th December 2012 at 21:50.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Had a totally classic but simply pérfect diner with another brit clan here. I have never ever eaten such a well prepaired piece of venison.
    Wore my other electronic in 18k. That too is a simply unbelievable example. Bought it at little over gold value in 2009; a 9F61 Grand Seiko.
    Yes Gary; conventional :-)
    Looking forward to receiving the JLC. There can´t be many left. Most have been smelted over the years. Very sad for such a high quality watch which cost SF 8500 in 1973.

Did anyone notice the IWC BETA21 with ´organic´ case in 18k for sale? That is most likely the only such one. A unique, VERY high quality with awesome caliber inside, high end branded, for the price of a stainless steel Rolex diver.