closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Microwave oven recommendation

Microwave oven recommendation

Our microwave conveniently packed up on Christmas day. An internal fuse had blown which I replaced today but blew straight away. It was quite an expensive thing (a big Samsung stainless combination oven) but I guess not worth repairing. Anyway, we'd like something a bit smaller (microwave only).

So, can anyone recommend a good one? I'd like a stainless finish, free-standing (microwave only) oven. Would like a quality unit but don't want to pay silly money (up to £200). I've seen Panasonic models get good reviews but can be very noisy.

My Sharp is still going strong after 15 years. Could do with a clean though.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    My parents bought us a Samsung as a moving in present 11 years ago. It wouldn't have been the priciest and it is still (touch wood) going strong.

Our Moulinex is coming up for 23 years old; I'd love to change it for one with a convection oven but the wife doesn't want to have to learn how to use a new one. My father sold commercial catering equipment for a living and he recommended Panasonic and Sharp.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I've had a couple of Panasonic ones and neither lasted much beyond the warranty period, but our most recent LG has refused to die! It doesn't look as good as the Panny ones did though...

I've got a Panasonic which we've had for some 22 years and it's still going strong. The wife mentions that she wants to replace it but at the same time she can't get past the "it's still working so how can we bin it" feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I've got a Panasonic which we've had for some 22 years and it's still going strong. The wife mentions that she wants to replace it but at the same time she can't get past the "it's still working so how can we bin it" feeling.
    Emotional attachment to a kitchen appliance..... that's the female hormone at work.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Bought a Kenwood about 2 years ago, stainless steel, very nice looking job and still looks brand new, well worth a look, cant remember the price but was sub £200.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Our Moulinex is coming up for 23 years old; I'd love to change it for one with a convection oven but the wife doesn't want to have to learn how to use a new one. My father sold commercial catering equipment for a living and he recommended Panasonic and Sharp.

Eddie
    We never used the convection oven (except temporarily when main oven died) because it was such a faff. Had to remove the turntable, insert the shelf holders in sides of oven and then the shelf itself. All these bits invariably in the back of a cupboard somewhere. Maybe they're not all like this though? Plus point was it could roast a chicken in ~30 minutes if I remember correctly.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions - I'll look at those brands mentioned (esp. Sharp as that got a few, all good).

We had the which recommended Panasonic combi oven microwave grill as our main oven till our refurb was done and we went miele integrated - it was very good. Rosie's parents have it now.

Another recommendation for Sharp here. Bought mine >15 yrs ago from John Lewis and am amazed it's still going strong (touch wood!).

Craftsman
    +1 for panasonic - 8 years old and going strong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I am in exactly the same position with my Panny

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Our microwave conveniently packed up on Christmas day. An internal fuse had blown which I replaced today but blew straight away. It was quite an expensive thing (a big Samsung stainless combination oven) but I guess not worth repairing. Anyway, we'd like something a bit smaller (microwave only).

So, can anyone recommend a good one? I'd like a stainless finish, free-standing (microwave only) oven. Would like a quality unit but don't want to pay silly money (up to £200). I've seen Panasonic models get good reviews but can be very noisy.

We have just had a new kitchen fitted, and have bought one of these:

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/pr...ver-23431.aspx

Stylish, with a very compact footprint, and microwave only - which was all we wanted also.
    So clever my foot fell off.