closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming!!!!!

Incoming!!!!!

I've had 4 or 5 Black Monsters in the past, but there have always been a couple of things that meant I moved them on, even though I really, really wanted to love them. Firstly, the lume on the dial was just a bit too green (and didn't quite match the lume on the hands); and secondly, I really can't cope very well with a movement that doesn't hack or handwind. Well, Seiko must have read my mind, because the new Monster is a whole lot more refined!

Gone is the green lume, replaced by a much more subtle and pale colour that's an absolute match on both dial and hands. Also upgraded is the movement, which is now the hacking and handwinding 4R36! It also seems to have a slightly better finish to the bezel, although that may just be my imagination.

Anyway, here's a few genuinely quick & dirty photos, showing the head on a Zulu strap... it's a great combo, and this is how it'll stay (albeit that the strap colour will no doubt change periodically). Thank you, Hector

Last edited by learningtofly; 11th December 2012 at 10:52.

That does look sharper. Congratulations
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    That does look sharper. Congratulations
    Cheers - it's

I felt your excitement there, 5 exclamation marks !

Which exact model is this ? The newer ones I have seen have had dial/chapter ring/bezel in a mix of colours that I couldn't warm to. Plus my genuine loyalty to the 7S26 variants that have performed brilliantly for me in my mountain madness moments. But the pictured one is testing that loyalty severely. Could be the pics of course, you seem quite talented

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I felt your excitement there, 5 exclamation marks !

Which exact model is this ? The newer ones I have seen have had dial/chapter ring/bezel in a mix of colours that I couldn't warm to. Plus my genuine loyalty to the 7S26 variants that have performed brilliantly for me in my mountain madness moments. But the pictured one is testing that loyalty severely. Could be the pics of course, you seem quite talented

Paul
    It's the SRP307K1, Paul. You should be able to get hold of it easily over there and for a decent price.

Many thanks, I'll try not to take a look

Actually Monsters are all but invisible at retail in Japan. Mainly 'net shops. Never see them in actual watch shops. I wonder if there will be the whole "scuba" dial thing and non-J versions with these ?

Paul

Many thanks, I'll try not to take a look

Actually Monsters are all but invisible at retail in Japan. Mainly 'net shops. Never see them in actual watch shops. I wonder if there will be the whole "scuba" dial thing and non-J versions with these ?

Paul
    Possibly. I really think they've cracked it with this one though, and the orange dial is a whole lot better looking too. Do you wear yours on a NATO/Zulu?

Bought both on the bracelet. One usually stays on the bracelet, one on a NATO or two-ring Zulu for weekend foolishness. Unbeleivably, I only recently discovered the divers extension on the bracelet. I do like the way it has no end-links. It's very quick to swap out for a strap.

Paul

Slower beat? 21k instead of 28K? is the power reserve still only 40h+-?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Slower beat? 21k instead of 28K? is the power reserve still only 40h+-?
    Did you want 8 days, Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Did you want 8 days, Scott?
    For that price, why not ;)

I think I'd prefer a modern watch to have 60+ that would do my - I'd prefer 72 hours - but 38-42 hours is just a little short. I wonder how much additional effort/cost it would really be to spec it up.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Now if I could take photos of the watch like you do Tony...

Already missing it!
    Enjoy!

Hector

Verrrry nice tone ... Good to know you havnt been entirely seduced by all that shiny high end tat . May i suggest you consider slapping it on one of carls forthcoming new gagas straps ... It would be purrrfect .

Ps may i also suggest that you let me know when you get bored of it

Great pictures Tony, it's a real beauty .

I am sat here waiting for my incoming, though I know the photos will not do it justice, I should of sent it to you first.

Wear it in good health

Keith.

I've never been a big fan of monsters but that does look good

Thanks chaps. To be honest, these photos took about 5 minutes to set up, shoot and process so I'd suggest that it's as much the watch as the photographer. Dave-O, I just love watches and they don't have to be expensive - the Monster is a perfect example of really good VFM, and it looks so good. However...

You can't have it

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    Great pictures Tony, it's a real beauty .

I am sat here waiting for my incoming, though I know the photos will not do it justice, I should of sent it to you first.

Wear it in good health

Keith.
    So - has your wrist turned green yet, Keith?

So - has your wrist turned green yet, Keith?
    Hi Tony,

Now currently sat at work having just got here, though with a smile from ear to ear. The post did not arrive till 13:10hrs with two incomings, have taken very quick pictures of them and will hopefully upload and share them later.

Regards.

Keith.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Tony

I was expecting to see an Autavia GMT
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I was expecting to see an Autavia GMT
    Still making plans, Andy. Today didn't quite work out as hoped!

is it the same size as the other ones tone?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    is it the same size as the other ones tone?
    Yes, the same case. The painted second hand looks nice (forgot to mention that change earlier on, but it makes quite a difference).

Blimey - that 4R36 info is good news, always annoyed me slightly that they were such blunt instruments.

Much more refined looking watch as well.

Super photo too.
    Last edited by Inspector71; 11th December 2012 at 15:37.

Brilliant. I gots to get me one of those.

It is a bit of a shame that the crown no longer matches the bezel though

There was a lot to admire in the design of the original. The "original" bit, for example

Paul

It is a bit of a shame that the crown no longer matches the bezel though

There was a lot to admire in the design of the original. The "original" bit, for example

Paul
    I actually prefer the new crown too. Come on, Paul, put you hand in your pocket and stop faffing about it.

i do like a nice knurled crown
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    That looks great. Here's hoping the missus has got my subtle* hints about a new Orange Monster for xmas. I've always loved my original but the lack of handwinding and hacking were the two things I'd have liked to be addressed. Personally, I am a fan of the new knurled crown. Congratulations!

* by 'subtle' I mean that I told her what I wanted and forwarded the appropriate web page from a dealer...

A good honest dive watch, very nice! The handwinding feature is a welcome addition IMO.

B Monster- new

Congrats Tony enjoy it.

But (obviously) it's not a 6309. The size, the shape, the dot dial and the vintage.

You're right about the hack and wind however .................. suppose I could put a newer movement in (joke).

Master
    Always lliked the Black Monster but at 44mm it's just too big for my 6.75" wrist. But then were it smaller it wouldn't be a Monster!

Quote Originally Posted by robbie View Post
    Congrats Tony enjoy it.

But (obviously) it's not a 6309. The size, the shape, the dot dial and the vintage.

You're right about the hack and wind however .................. suppose I could put a newer movement in (joke).
    You're right, of course, Robbie. I do like a good 6309 (and I've had a few) but I've always had a soft spot for the Monster. At one time, it was one of only two watches that I had for quite a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Always lliked the Black Monster but at 44mm it's just too big for my 6.75" wrist. But then were it smaller it wouldn't be a Monster!
    Same size wrist as mine. Like the Tuna, this has very short lugs (not quite as short, mind) so it wold be easily wearable for you.

Master

Incoming!!!!!

Same size wrist as mine. Like the Tuna, this has very short lugs (not quite as short, mind) so it wold be easily wearable for you.
    Agree, tried one on last week on the way back from Thailand, so much smaller than I expected and compared to my SKX009 on a zulu felt quite small.

Trying to decide whether to press the button on this, or a bead blasted 007 to add to the mix as an Xmas gift from my wife. (the 007 allows me to use the couple of NATOs I got that just don't work on the 009 colour wise!)

Tony, how are you finding the size of watch on a 20mm strap?

This was the only bit that put me off a little when I was trying them on.

Certainly given the reviews of the bracelets on Monsters, I was expecting something more weighted like my PO so it was a bit of a shock. Want to love it, and thinking that a 20mm zulu will 'beef it up', or am I worrying unduly?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agree, tried one on last week on the way back from Thailand, so much smaller than I expected and compared to my SKX009 on a zulu felt quite small.

Trying to decide whether to press the button on this, or a bead blasted 007 to add to the mix as an Xmas gift from my wife. (the 007 allows me to use the couple of NATOs I got that just don't work on the 009 colour wise!)

Tony, how are you finding the size of watch on a 20mm strap?

This was the only bit that put me off a little when I was trying them on.

Certainly given the reviews of the bracelets on Monsters, I was expecting something more weighted like my PO so it was a bit of a shock. Want to love it, and thinking that a 20mm zulu will 'beef it up', or am I worrying unduly?

Matt
    Good question re the strap size. On a Zulu it's fine, because the strap is quite thick/heavy. I haven't tried it on a NATO but I have a suspicion the relatively narrow lugs might become more evident if I did.

Is this a Japanese watch? We only like Rolex here.

Interesting, I had always assumed this would wear too big for my 6.5 wrists, but sounds like it is not quite the monster it's name might suggest.

Great pics as always, and always good to see a bit if balance in a collection.

Ed

Master

Incoming!!!!!

The more I look at yours the more convinced I get.

Decision now is black or orange!

Blog Entries
    What do you think about the movement so far? -The screw down action, time keeping, and winding feel..? I hope this movement replaces the 7s26 in more models. Wouldn't mind that at all.

Incoming!!!!!

I've just been looking at these on the Creation site and I think you got the best one. The others (apart from the new OM) look a bit garish IMO. I'm not sure the hacking ability of the new one justifies me dumping my old OM but it is very tempting....

Craftsman
    Currently sold out at Creation :-(

Oh well it's my Birthday in January, perhaps I can persuade SWMBO to let me have one then.

Where did you get it? Interesting that they've upgraded to a hand winding and hacking movement!

Bought on our very own SC but supplied originally from an EU dealer.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th December 2012 at 18:29.

I like the new ones too but prefer the old crown, I really must get an old orange dial while I still can but the new black dial is what I would chose from the new ones.

Master

Incoming!!!!!

I see from your blog, Tony, that it did not last long; like the others.

Your owned & sold section is truly remarkable given the length of time you have had an interest in watches & I commend your enjoyment; only wishing I was in the right type of consultancy to do just the same!

Toyed with PMing you when I saw this thread but decided to buy my own given your praise....thought it was a keeper for you haha!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I see from your blog, Tony, that it did not last long; like the others.

Your owned & sold section is truly remarkable given the length of time you have had an interest in watches & I commend your enjoyment; only wishing I was in the right type of consultancy to do just the same!

Toyed with PMing you when I saw this thread but decided to buy my own given your praise....thought it was a keeper for you haha!

Matt
    Ironically, Matt, I've just posted on another thread that I only sold the Monster because:

1) It was bought in lieu of a long yearned-for but given-up-on Tuna;
    2) As soon as I bought it a Tuna came up for sale; and
    3) I think I'm regretting my decision.

As for flipping generally, I used to do so regularly, do so far less now, but like to try watches that interest me. There are too many for me to be able to buy and keep them all, sadly, but there are some that have lasted quite some time and a core that will be going nowhere any time soon. For some reason my flipping seems to have attained some sort of profile, but I sell a lot less than many on here, I'd say.

There - I feel better now

Master

Incoming!!!!!

No offence meant on the flipping, more admiration of even short ownership of some watches I can probably only dream of.

Will swap my monster for your tuna if you miss it that much!! You know, as I do, that you need both in a collection.

Well, having accepted my mistake I've just bought it again, this time at full price. That was clever.

Master

Incoming!!!!!

Ouch!

Just keep hold of it this time :)