closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming (huge box): Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos clock

Incoming (huge box): Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos clock

Been to Stockholm this week, difficult trip due to massive snowfall, delayed flights and all that. Well, just returned and look what the postman brought from France while I was away:

A massve box, check the Seiko for size comparison.

Well packed, thanks very much dear seller.

Another box. I just hope this is not a Matryoshka doll exercise.

Something shiny in there...

Well, can't fault the seller regarding the packaging.

Look what's in there - ain't she a beauty?

I put her on level ground and released the movement - and off she trots.

According to the serial number this is a mid 70s model. Now I only need to find a good place for it.
    Last edited by Raffe; 8th December 2012 at 21:57. Reason: updated title with name of clock

Real nice, Raffe! I've wondered about picking one of these up myself at some point, to have in my office.

Me too - I spend more time hunting for clocks than i do for watches

Very nice, Raffe.

Re: Incoming (huge box)

I like that, like it a lot.

Journeyman
    Wow that is rather stunning. Enjoy it

She very purty, Raffe ol' buddy.

I imagine finding the right spot for her might be a bit challenging though.

That's absolutely lovely and I've been thinking about one for a while now as they don't seem to be as expensive as I initially assumed. Can you say how noisy the mechanism is; this would affect my ability to get one past SWMBO?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I am drooling over my laptop at the moment!

That is absolutely stunning!

Now that is absolutely beautiful, the perfect mechanical clock for me IMO as I would never remember to wind one so the Atmos is the ideal solution, such a high quality device too.

I've always admired those - and that style is particularly sweet - congratulations
    Gray

Craftsman
    That's a huge crown at the bottom! :D No seriously, marvelous clock! Congratulations!

Regards,
    Al

Incoming (huge box)

Really nice. Like a few, been looking at one of these for a while. Bought my Dad one for his birthday, was quite fiddly to set up but once it was all sorted, he loves it.

Malc

Bravo

Bravo on the clock and the packing!

Thanks for the nice comments.

I have been thinking about buying one for quite a while now and started to look a bit more seriously a couple of weeks ago. A 528 model like mine in brass can be had for a very good price, I have been lucky enough to buy it for €800.00 via Ebay. The average price seems to be a little higher, but this particular seller did everything to keep the auction private so I got a very good deal. These are also available in nickel rather than brass but those are about twice the price. If you are interested, most of the trades seem to happen on Ebay.

PS: Mine has been running for almost 12 hours and appears to be spot on (+/- 1 second) as far as I can tell until now.

A lovely example. I'm very envious.

Journeyman

Re: Incoming (huge box): Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos clock

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That's absolutely lovely and I've been thinking about one for a while now as they don't seem to be as expensive as I initially assumed. Can you say how noisy the mechanism is; this would affect my ability to get one past SWMBO?
    I have one, the mechanism can't be heard unless you take off the glass case and listen very closely in a very, very quiet room. Mine is from 1956 and is in dire need of work on the diaphragm system due to loss of seal integrity, i.e. the gas mixture is off and the beat suffers as a result.

The downside for these are repair costs. JLC runs around a thousand for the usual TLC, you basically get a new clock back in perfect shape, but they take their time. I can get it done locally by an authorized master watcher for around half that...

Master
    Bought one in 2002 i think.......have been spot on since.
    Need adjustments when positioned and get the abient temperature in the room.
    The have an history of getting destroyd when moved around.
    The original package include the parts to get the movement closed for shipment.

My version is the millenium released 3000 year Atmos.
    Shows the month and year + moonphase.

Very fond of this one and worth every pennie...................

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Lavaine View Post
    A beautiful clock. I am a little jealous. Coincidentally, I was looking at these today on the 'Bay. Prices are not unreasonable, even factoring in the money for a servicing.
    If handled properly they should never require a service, Jaeger write:

The Atmos clock is a very high-precision instrument manufactured with technologies that only the Jaeger-LeCoultre master-clockmakers are capable of handling. All the components of the Atmos clock are amazingly accurate and dependable; hence it has virtually wear-free operation. It is therefore distinguished by its long service life which - theoretically - can be as long as 600 years. Because of the current state of air pollution, however, regular checks and services are recommended at one of our approved service centres.

Quote Originally Posted by 9:59 View Post

What a beauty, Hans!

Master
    A lovely clock indeed.

My best friend inherited his late father's Atmos. I have drooled over it since 1972 when his father bought it.

You will get much pleasure from that clock, I can assure you.

scooter
    Last edited by scooter; 9th December 2012 at 12:00.

These are fascinating pieces; I've been tempted but have been too concerned about safe transportation.
    Congratulations on taking the plunge and on a super looker

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    These are fascinating pieces; I've been tempted but have been too concerned about safe transportation.
    Congratulations on taking the plunge and on a super looker
    You shouldn't be concerned about safe transportation, once the balance wheel is locked it is safe to move the clock.

Getting an Atmos is my "grail". Wonderful looking things.

Superb pieces on this thread.

Blog Entries
    Dammit, you have just managed rekindle a fire I had in my belly, years ago, forgot all about it, until today !!!
    Hmmmm.. too little time to request as something under the tree

Lovely ! congratulations Raffe

Master
    Beautiful Raffe!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Thanks for the nice comments.

I have been thinking about buying one for quite a while now and started to look a bit more seriously a couple of weeks ago. A 528 model like mine in brass can be had for a very good price, I have been lucky enough to buy it for €800.00 via Ebay. The average price seems to be a little higher, but this particular seller did everything to keep the auction private so I got a very good deal. These are also available in nickel rather than brass but those are about twice the price. If you are interested, most of the trades seem to happen on Ebay.

PS: Mine has been running for almost 12 hours and appears to be spot on (+/- 1 second) as far as I can tell until now.
    Damn it, Raffe! You've got me looking at these now! They look utterly lovely. It seems quite confusing though - they're anything from a few hundred quid to many thousand (for the incredibly beautiful transparent ones).

Journeyman
    I have been looking at these. A serviced one with some warranty seems to be about 850-1500 rarer model much more. Servicing about 300 and about 200 for the bellows alone. The real expense is the suspension spring.

I have noticed that on ebay the uk ones are 800 -1000 and similar price at auctions.

Still I can keep hoping - maybe that lottery will come up.

enjoy. they are lovelly

I have one from the 1950's which had just been serviced and cost around £1200. I also have a book which the dealer gave me called Living On Air by Jean Lebet, which is all about the history of the Atmos and the various incarnations right up to the present dat. Worth getting hold of if you're considering getting an Atmos.

Craftsman
    That looks fantastic. An Atmos is definitely on my list for the future.

Master
    I bought my Atmos from David Worthington at the Midlands Clock and Watch Fair two or three years ago.

He has a number on show there, I paid about £850 for mine, fully serviced, and the timekeeping is amazing. Very pleased with it and one of my friends was so taken by it that he bought one from David a few months later.

Stunning timepieces, the quality is outstanding, with no external manual input required, just temperature and barometric changes keeping it alive!
    Enjoy it :-)
    Last edited by rdwiow; 9th December 2012 at 22:10.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I bought my Atmos from David Worthington at the Midlands Clock and Watch Fair two or three years ago.

He has a number on show there, I paid about £850 for mine, fully serviced, and the timekeeping is amazing. Very pleased with it and one of my friends was so taken by it that he bought one from David a few months later.

Does he have a website as I need one of these fine clocks ?

I have one to it was left to me by my uncle

Here is a photo of him receiving it when he retired from the Bolton evening news he is the
    one on the left

Last edited by Jeff wilson; 10th December 2012 at 19:34.

Congrats.

Have considered an Atmos over the past few years. I want one of the modern ones and think I should have bought 4 or 5 years ago when even one new would have seemed like a bargain compared to prices today.

Another piece of wonderment by JLC.

Craftsman

I love mine...

And yes, they can be found for reasonable prices these days.

To the OP, congratulations!

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    Always wanted one, you have re-kindled my search,very nice by the way.

At the risk of being repetitive, this is also something I've thought about over the years.
    Wonderful, Raffe, just great.

I have always been fascinated by these, it has been in my ebay saved searches for a while, the wife is not too keen though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoseidon View Post
    Does he have a website as I need one of these fine clocks ?
    Don't think he has a website but you can always give him a ring on 01675 443284. He lives near Solihull and will be happy to chat with you regarding your requirements.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9:59 View Post
    Bought one in 2002 i think.......have been spot on since.
    Need adjustments when positioned and get the abient temperature in the room.
    The have an history of getting destroyd when moved around.
    The original package include the parts to get the movement closed for shipment.

My version is the millenium released 3000 year Atmos.
    Shows the month and year + moonphase.

Very fond of this one and worth every pennie...................

Hans
    WOW!!

Now that is my kind of clock!

Stef

Sv: Incoming (huge box): Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos clock

Very cool, congrats!

I'd love one of these. Beautiful.

Amazing clocks. I want one!

I saw an amazing omega clock on here some time back. I'll try and post a link

It was the Art Deco one. Just beautiful!

Master
    Really like these and have come close to buying one on a couple of occasions. The only thing that stops me...most suitable location is in the lounge, and seeing as I like to give my hifi a good blasting occasionally isn't likely to suit a clock like this from what I've read (vibrations etc!).

Craftsman
    Congratulations. I've owned one (similar design to yours) for about 3 years. Bought in U.S. off of Ebay and I think I paid about $600 for it. One of my best purchases. Workmanship is first rate. Mine has run trouble free since I bought it and once I got it adjusted generally gains less than a minute a month.

In fact, I like mine so much I seriously thought of buying a second (the millenium model shown by another poster) but don't really have a place to put it and it would have had to overcome serious spousal objections. There is also a Marc Newsom model that is pretty spectacular (and pricey).

Start itching now
    Last edited by seikomatic; 13th December 2012 at 08:32.

That's one for the list alright!

Craftsman
    Why do I look at these threads? Now I HAVE to get one of these!!!

Beautiful pieces all of them, but I do like the older models - seem to be great VFM as well.

OK, let's start searching.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    In fact, I like mine so much I seriously thought of buying a second (the millenium model shown by another poster) but don't really have a place to put it and it would have had to overcome serious spousal objections. There is also a Marc Newsom model that is pretty spectacular (and pricey).
    Yes, it's a shame to not have something so fantastic on show, but it has to fit in with the decor to get past the other half!

I think the completely transparent ones can fit in with modern decor, but typically I can't seem to find one of these for less than £5k!

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Yes, it's a shame to not have something so fantastic on show, but it has to fit in with the decor to get past the other half!

I think the completely transparent ones can fit in with modern decor, but typically I can't seem to find one of these for less than £5k!
    Compare what you get for your money though with a £5k watch and it start to look an absolute bargain.