closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Etiquette in Sales Corner

Etiquette in Sales Corner

Hi all

when buying items off sales corner is it reasonable to ask for the sellers name, home address and land line phone number and providing same in return so that that both parties have evidence with whom they are dealing with?

whats the normal means of doing things? (i'm thinking items costing £500 upwards)

regards

Reasonable and I would imagine that no one selling would have any issues.I certainly wouldn't. From experience not that necessary.

regards
    T

Personally, I wouldn't say that's standard practice, but no harm in asking.

A popular phrase around here is BUY THE SELLER - easy enough to research in Heroes and elsewhere to see if they have provenance. Good luck!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would gladly supply that info to anyone who I was expected to send me a large sum of cash. Only fair that both sides are as comfortable as possible with the deal. F2F is always a nice option and a good excuse to chat watches with someone.

Not standard practise AFAIK but can't see any harm in asking for such info. Whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable with the seller. I certainly wouldn't hesitate disclosing such info if they were asked for in a sale.

Master
    I wouldn't be giving my landline number out to ANYONE. It's only family members that have that and if anyone buying off me doesn't like that then move on, there will be no hard feelings from me. Perfectly happy to give my mobile out though, every Tom dick and Harry has that.

In the transactions I've made, be it as buyer or seller, there has usually been an exchange of phone numbers - that way, if the deal goes wonky, you or they can at least phone up and ask what's going on. It's just politeness and reassurance, if you ask me, and good manners to boot.

Whenever I've sold something here I always make sure to include a cover letter with my details on it. I've only once had an issue with an item and refunded the purchaser without hesitation.

two week stakeout with a PI. if the mark seems legit, then bring the adams boys along to any f2f just in case it goes pete tong.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by squareleg View Post
    In the transactions I've made, be it as buyer or seller, there has usually been an exchange of phone numbers - that way, if the deal goes wonky, you or they can at least phone up and ask what's going on. It's just politeness and reassurance, if you ask me, and good manners to boot.
    +1, I`m the same on this.

Paul

If the seller has no feedback then I do ask for the details you have listed. If they have loads of feedback in H&V i don't bother.

Thinking about it I do it naturally anyway.Sold an Omega on SC yesterday.Text the buyer today with RMSD tracking details so if there is an issue then it will be resolved with out a bun fight

regards
    T

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Hi all

when buying items off sales corner is it reasonable to ask for the sellers name, home address and land line phone number and providing same in return so that that both parties have evidence with whom they are dealing with?

whats the normal means of doing things? (i'm thinking items costing £500 upwards)

regards
    im probably the only one.. but i find some of the sleuthing that goes on over sc completely weird.

i had a buyer once who wanted my name, my address, my phone number, my work address, my work number.. and more to the point wanted the work number so that they could ring me AT WORK to discuss the transaction and therefore would be "assured" that i was all linked up with work/home/various telephone lines.

i decided that i didnt want to sell to him.
    i dont actually LIKE the idea of giving everything bar a sample of my dna to somebody i dont know.

One of the first sellers I dealt with here wouldn't give me his home address.

I understood his reluctance to give this to a complete stranger and bought the watch anyway without problem.

I think you have to buy the seller and do your homework as suggested previously and if in doubt leave it out!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    im probably the only one.. but i find some of the sleuthing that goes on over sc completely weird.

i had a buyer once who wanted my name, my address, my phone number, my work address, my work number.. and more to the point wanted the work number so that they could ring me AT WORK to discuss the transaction and therefore would be "assured" that i was all linked up with work/home/various telephone lines.

i decided that i didnt want to sell to him.
    i dont actually LIKE the idea of giving everything bar a sample of my dna to somebody i dont know.
    I'd actually want a sample of your DNA - not worried about the other details really.

From a sellers point of view, giving out too much information to a stranger can be dangerous, particularly home address and work number. Just phone the victim at work to make sure he's there and then nip round to his (probably) empty house and help yourself to the watches you want. Simples!!

Blog Entries
    I always wondered what happens with trades, do you send at the same time or one first then the other?

This would come down to who the member is buying and selling. If you have just cracked 250 I'm going to want enough to track you down. If you are well known you will probably have my money a few minutes after sending details over.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'd actually want a sample of your DNA - not worried about the other details really.
    Buy a watch from me and you'll have plenty of that.

I don't supply my home address, I always use work. Happy to give a phone number though.

I'd happily give my address and home phone number to the buyer / seller if they did the same,
    can't see anything wrong with that.

Craftsman
    Never asked for those details when buying and never been asked for them when selling. Had no problems at all with over a dozen transactions.

You have the bank details that you sent the money to if anything were to go wrong, that's more concrete than someone telling you an address that could easily be made up.

No issue to provide phone/address when I am selling, I put those details anyway on the postal slip for the return address / phone number etc...

Grand Master
    whatever you are both comfortable with. Aside from not having a landline i'm happy to provide my address, mobile and email to any trade partner. I've often sent watches before i receive funds to people i've dealt with before and vice versa, in fact - there are certain people on here i seem destined to swap full collections with!
    Always buy the seller, but i've yet to come across anyone one here i feel dubious about dealing with.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Just be comfortable with who you are dealing with - I have sent watches to members to try, without knowing their phone numbers, email. Didn't even know their address until they provided it for posting. I felt comfortable though and I was proved to be right in my thinking.

I have no problem providing a mobile number - but no-one, with the exception of a few family members have my house number (and I never use the landline any way, so when it goes off I know it is one of a few people, or there is a family problem).

Be cautious and be comfortable - I've never had an issue with purchases, sales or trades on the forum - but then I haven't bought a few watches that were very well priced because I don't feel like I knew the seller well enough to be sending them £1,000's!
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    the only thing id be able to guarantee there is that you wouldnt get it from any of my watches

i dont mind people having my mobile number or whatever to give me a ring.. but i draw the line at hoop jumping all numbers and addresses to prove myself.. particularly to people ive never seen or heard of on these 'ere forums.
    equally if i know people, ive happily sent stuff pre-payment and some folk have done the same for me.. i think its all about getting to know posters etc.
    i think buying the seller is quite sensible.. as is buying the buyer at times.

Grand Master
    Whilst I have never had a problem I always prefer a face to face even if that means driving for 3-4 hours each to meet half way, theres always a way to do it if you both want to do a deal
    RIAC

Can't see a problem with that. Face to face in a motorway services is more dodgy I'd say.

thanks everyone for the insights!

In the end i checked the seller out in heroes and villains forum and was happy with the feedback so pinged the monies across and am sure it will all go swimmingly well!

Craftsman
    I like a good F2F