closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So, Where are We Skiing This Season?

So, Where are We Skiing This Season?

Me: Long weekend in Nendaz late Jan and then last 2 weeks of Feb I'm doing a tour of eastern BC - Revelstoke, Red Mountain, Big White and Fernie

Craftsman
    Sierra nevada this monday for a couple of quick days

Master
    Kaprun, Zell am See - mid Jan for one week only with my mates

Wife's snapped cruciate and (relatively) new little'un preventing any more than one week :(

Banned
    Couple of weeks in Breckenridge in March.. Maybe a cheeky cheapo week in Jan in Europe.. Can't wait.
    Oh.. and shredding not skiing :0)

Never been boarding in the US before, so really looking forward to it.
    I learned in Whistler, and that place will always have a special place in my heart.. To the op.. You'll love BC.

Was there last year! 2 weeks in Fernie, inc. a day cat-skiing. When it snowed, the Pow was EPIC! Can't wait to get back.

Craftsman

La Foux D'Allos

2 hours north of Nice in the Southern Alps. Annual trip for around 15 of us in February. Looking for winter tyres as we speak!

Lake Tahoe
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

We live less than 2 hours drive from Sierra Nevada ..... and its opened a week early this year so will be popping up at every opportunity as long as the suns out...a fair weather skier only these days :))

Banned
    Maybe we should have a tz-uk wintersports ski/board get-together in the Alps.
    Could be either a) superb idea or b) massive fight after 1 day about wearing a nato on an 'expensive' watch.

Craftsman
    A weekend in Slovenia for my cousins stag do.

He's well into his boarding, but it must be 12/13 years since I last stepped into some skis in Andorra.

Can't be that hard though right? Just like riding a bike.........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly View Post
    A weekend in Slovenia for my cousins stag do.

He's well into his boarding, but it must be 12/13 years since I last stepped into some skis in Andorra.

Can't be that hard though right? Just like riding a bike.........
    You'll be fine.. just take a bag full of pain killers (seriously)

Master
    Zell am See, Kaprun or Kitzbuhel (snow depending) with the lads for a long weekend of boarding in two weeks time. Can't wait!

(I'll be wearing a Sinn UX on rubber - perfect)

Craftsman
    We have an apartment in Les Menuires, so 1 week over Christmas and then again at 1/2 term.

Our 1/2 term is early again this year (9th Feb) so we escape the really busy weeks.

Hopefully get a few days up north too, snow and weather permitting.

Probably some cheapo last minute 3 valleys deal in the first week of Feb.

I got my new sunglasses in the post last week. Need to get some new gloves, too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post

I got my new sunglasses in the post last week. Need to get some new gloves, too.
    Can thoroughly recommend Level gloves.. I've been through so many pairs of gloves - the Level 'Fly' have outlasted all of them

I don't ski but my wife (who is an experienced skiier is going to Soll with her twin sister in January. Ahhh, peace, perfect peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Lake Tahoe

Nothing to do with skiing but that's a nice pic of Mustangs on your reply.

I think I'll go out of my way, and travel the whole 25 minutes down the road to the Cairngorms

Journeyman
    Val d'Isère only !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    You'll be fine.. just take a bag full of pain killers (seriously)
    And some padded shorts?

Pain killers are a given as it's a stag do. I'm pretty sure I haven't forgotten how to partake in a bit of apres ski!

Nandez Jan
    Solden Feb (my Favourite with the lads)
    LaTania Mar (Family)

Heading out to Saint Gervais Mont Blanc / Les Contamines in Feb for the yearly shred. I hope the snow is a good as it was this year, lots and lots of powder..... Boarding heaven :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
    Heading out to Saint Gervais Mont Blanc / Les Contamines in Feb for the yearly shred. I hope the snow is a good as it was this year, lots and lots of powder..... Boarding heaven :D
    Got a mate who goes there with his work - says it's great around there.

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Got a mate who goes there with his work - says it's great around there.
    I love it there. It is fairly quite most of the time, lots of different terrain and plenty of off peak if the snow is good. I can highly recommend it.

Les Contamines is nice and height so has good snow most of the time when everywhere else is suffering.

I have Thursday afternoon - Monday evening flights booked to Geneva for February for a long weekend skiing, but haven't chosen a resort yet let alone booked the hotel/hire car.

Master
    Salbach for a weeks boarding 2nd week of jan. I will mostly be partaking in the après ski

It looks like Lake Tahoe in late January followed by the same again in March - business is taking me to San Fransisco so rude not to tag a week's leave on the end of each trip. May try to squeeze in a week in the French Alps in February.

Grand Master
    Morzine & Pila I think
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Morzine & Pila I think
    I like Morzine and Avoriaz, it's is nice in the winter for snowboarding and even better in the summer for mountain biking

Dry slope, Ally Pally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Dry slope, Ally Pally.
    Oh, I walked uphill to Ally Pally during the Olympics to visit the Holland Heineken House. Bl**dy steep hill! Glad my son won a Volkswagen sponsored trip: back from Ally Pally to our hotel in Hammersmith.

Back on topic: My wife and kids are off to Laax in February. I don't ski (can't and won't). 8 days of peace and tranquility!

Menno

I'd love to go skiing again - I used to go every year when I was a single man. Unfortunately, the Mrs. won't have any truck with mountains as she "doesn't like the cold" - no amount of explaining that it's different when it's dry cold will change her mind.

The last time I put on some planks was 5 years ago when I was in Dubai and went skiing at the Mall of the Emirates - kind of bizarre when it's >40 degrees outside! An interesting experience..

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Engelberg, with the outlaws and the sproglets !!!

Master
    Nowhere, but hopefully a week or so of walking in the High Tatras, staying with relatives.

Master
    St Anton and Zell Am Zee over Xmas and new year, plus long weekend in Swiss alps.

See a chap or two are off to BC, enjoy Red Mountain my buds tell me there's a new cat ski operation on the mountain this season

Master
    Angel Station

Master
    The missus and I will be driving to St Anton & Verbier for a few days then meribel for a week ish.

Have a few mates that run transfer businesses, private catering and ski hire companies in the 3 valleys (meribel based) if anyone needs a deal let me know.

Blog Entries
    Val Thorens, first week in Feb - not been to this resort before so cannae wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Val Thorens, first week in Feb - not been to this resort before so cannae wait.
    VT is steep, quick and has a great park, but has no trees etc due to it being a glacier, be sure to get over to Courchevel, the mix of terrain is awesome!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat View Post
    Engelberg, with the outlaws and the sproglets !!!

Yep, Engelberg, that's where my wife and kids used to ski. Now, that the boys are older, they want to change to snowboarding. According to my family members, Laax is a better place to learn it there and less infected by sproglets and their 'what do I care - I've paid for that' parents' attitude. My wife agrees with your observation. First few years, my wife stayed at the Terrace Hotel. That hotel is filled with people and their attitude. She moved over to the Trubsee Hotel, higher up the mountain where there's a more relaxed atmosphere.

Engelberg does have an Omega AD on top of the mountain. Flocks of Asian tourists go up to buy a watch there!

Menno

Last edited by thieuster; 2nd December 2012 at 16:48.

Was hoping to get to Steamboat again this year, sadly its looking increasingly likely I shall be doing no more than giving the old Lib Tech for its yearly checkup.
    Would throughly recommend this resort, true its getting a little built up but has great facilities and some brilliant terrain for most levels.

We experience the best powder ever 2 yrs running, if you stopped you sunk up to your waist quickly, and that was only a couple of feet off the beaten track......

Would also recommend Fernie to anyone is thinking of checking out BC.

K

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Was hoping to get to Steamboat again this year, sadly its looking increasingly likely I shall be doing no more than giving the old Lib Tech for its yearly checkup.
    Would throughly recommend this resort, true its getting a little built up but has great facilities and some brilliant terrain for most levels.

We experience the best powder ever 2 yrs running, if you stopped you sunk up to your waist quickly, and that was only a couple of feet off the beaten track......

Would also recommend Fernie to anyone is thinking of checking out BC.

K
    Went there 10 years ago and didn't much care for it, finding it rather soul-less and in the middle of the nowhere Rockies. Give me le Trois Vallees any day.

Journeyman
    Soll over Christmas with wife and the outlaws. Cannot wait.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Went there 10 years ago and didn't much care for it, finding it rather soul-less and in the middle of the nowhere Rockies. Give me le Trois Vallees any day.
    Depends what you go for I suppose, so I would have to agree Fernie is not exactly the place to go for Apre-Ski or off slope entertainment/attractions.

The Wife & I tend to get the early bus..cram as much Boarding in as we can, then a bite to eat ( the odd beer perhaps )...then bed... & repeat for duration.

So, with that in mind I would only recommend it to those who don;t want to eat, drink and dance on tables in their neon.

K

Alpes D'Huez in March.

A massively underrated French resort imo.

Still no idea. Italy/Slovenia/Austria anyway.

Journeyman
    Has to be cheap this year.... probably last minute to Austria.

Journeyman
    Courchevel 1850 over new year, can't wait! Love the 3 valleys.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post

Hestra gloves are worth it. Warm al day and last for ages as long as you look after them.

Edit: Forgot to mention, skiing of course!
    Last edited by dja21; 3rd December 2012 at 12:03.