closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Breitling

Master

Thoughts on Breitling

Hi guys, just wanted to get some thoughts from fellow WIS's about the brand Breitling. Now I used to disregard them (no disrespect to anyone) before as being too flashy and using generic movements etc.

Recently though from another thread, about looking for watches in the 2K budget, someone mentioned the Aerospace and it got me looking into a few pieces. Now I just saw the Chronomat 41 Limited edition and thought it was actually quite cool and wanted to get people's thoughts on it, the brand in general, the quality of the watches and the quality of the inhouse movements.

The watch is this: http://www.breitling.com/en/news/ind...dContent=64995

Thank you

Blog Entries
    I'll take a punt: I've owned a few Brietling in my time:

(limited to 10 pics in one post - left out a couple)

Comments IMHO

Quality of watches 5/5
    I class them up there with Omega, Rolex. Now with the in-house B01 movement takes them up with the best - but so has increased the price (same goes for Omega).

Brand in general 4/5
    Great Brand in general - I think their later offerings are a bit off target for me - producing 'diver' watches without a bezel pip, producing large face watches - though there are some very good exceptions. Never got on with the whole Breitling for Bentley thing. Not afraid to limit outlets to just Boutiques + point

Quality of in-house movement - cannot comment personally on the new B01 and derivatives - only had ETA based movements but all v good
    ETA modified - never had any issues.
    The SuperQuartz was developed exclusively for Brietling so they say - and I have only good comments for that - mine are all consistently accurate to +-5sec per annum and no issues.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Superb brand IMO. Be sure to watch the breitling super factories video on youtube.

The two I currently own (and hoping to buy a third) are complete opposites, but each has excellent build quality, great wrist presence and each movement works as expected.

Not all Breitling designs are to my taste, but the ones they get right, really feel up there with the best.

I've owned a colt, a colt GMT, a seawolf and a chrono avenger M1.

For me, the chunkier titanium models were much nicer and felt very different to offerings from other brands. The colts were nice but nothing special.

Can't comment on the in house movements but all four that I tried kept great time (unsurprisingly the HEQ M1 coming out best).

Banned

Big Fan

No other manufacturer does Titanium as well as Breitling

Banned
    Nowt wrong with Breitling. Dare I say.. a lot of the muck throwing comes from Rolex-istas.

Blog Entries
    This is an example of what Breitling is capable of in terms of complications - this was a 'museum' piece only a few produced - to show what the brand could produce - check out the number of complications - its right up there with Patek Phillippe at a fraction of the cost:

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st November 2012 at 18:15.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    In googling around about my Top Time I really get the impression that B is a Marmite brand and I can why. When they get it right WOW, if not then meh.

Thoughts on Breitling

I have a Steelfish and the quality is right up there with brands mentioned earlier in the thread. The dial looks fantastic under a 20X eye loupe.

Breitling were the brand that got me into watches properly. I can say with absolute certainty that "I BLOODY LOVE THEM!" I've now got three Omegas, a Tudor and (finally) a Rolex and I still love my three Breitlings. There's another couple on my wish list, so it doesn't have to be Rolex or Breitling, it can (easily) be both.

Can't recommend the Aerospace highly enough.

Accurate, waterproof, 2 time zones,alarm and very light and comfortable as it's made of titanium.

Prices are also very reasonable for the E75362 which is my favourite.

You won't regret buying one!

Master
    My black dial Titanium Avenger Seawolf,what a watch!

Like the look of the Ti Aerospaces,and the new heritage line

don't like the newer shiny stuff TBH

Breitling was one of those brands I didn't get. I had an early 70's Transocean but that was it. Saw an Airwolf on SC the other week so dived in to see what I thought, and to be honest, been pretty impressed. Got good wrist presence and feels well put together so would definitely look at another.

Malc

I've had a B1 and a Seawolf titanium. Great quality pieces both. I loved the titanium wolf sat on the wrist really well for a monster sized watch. Always fancied an aerospace.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to have a Datora Montbrillent which I loved I now have a Superocean Heritage. I think people see the bling on the Big brash Bentley and the like because of the amount of copies that are in circulation,and decide there and then it's not for them. Granted there are more blingy models in the range then most other manufactures but they are well built quality watches.

Banned
    I had several over the last few years and now don't have a Breitling in my collection, and looking at the current line up this will not be changing any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Amen to that!

Master
    Has to be the Navitimer for me. Others are great watch but not as iconic.

i love 'em

but buy used. Hard to sell for proper money...

Some people can get big discounts of Breitlings so shop about and dont just buy new

I always like to have a Breitling in the collection, I love the brand....It's just a pity that they have this annoying habit of discontinuing their best watches, my Blackbird is a good example but you could also mention the Ti Chrono Avenger.

Master
    First of all thank you all so much for you replies. Really appreciate you guys taking time and writing down your thoughts, its what makes this forum so great.

@MartynJC (UK) Awesome pieces you have and thanks for the summary. Im happy to know that you feel the quality is right up there with rolex, omega. At least it gives me piece of mind that Im buying into a great quality product.

@RossC: wow what an awesome video. Watched the whole thing, was very impressed with the jetman and the formation though!! but didnt know every part was from a different region, feels like alot of effort goes into making these!! really underestimated this brand! Im sold!

@watchesofwales yeah I always see Breitlings discounted heavily during sale season at selfridges, harrods for example, worries me abit. I went to check out a few and I can definately get a minimum of 20% discount off retail on pretty much any model, would you say that is a fair discount? Or should I be looking for 30%?

I've had quite a few Breitlings in my time and now have four left (2 Aerospaces, a Steelfish and the new Superocean). I have never had any problem with any of their watches (which cant be said for some other brands), quality on par with Omega and Rolex.

Thumbs up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I always like to have a Breitling in the collection, I love the brand....It's just a pity that they have this annoying habit of discontinuing their best watches, my Blackbird is a good example but you could also mention the Ti Chrono Avenger.
    That looks stunning! Very cool! Do people prefer the polished or satin look? I think they both look cool, although I quite like the polished with leather strap combo as well!

Tricompax Navi with batons is the only model that I would consider (wished they would move the date to double date window at 12 o'clock position like on theBlackbird), the rest of range never floated my boat, particularly the dreadful Bentley range!
    Last edited by UKWatchGuy; 22nd November 2012 at 02:28.

Banned
    This is my B1, with added style, not to everyone's taste, but if they are try finding one.

Master
    What kind of discount should I be aiming for a brand new one from AD?

- - - Updated - - -

@Fords wow how big is that!??

Very Nice ...Same watch Slash wears !! I have a SOH and love it ,

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    This is my B1, with added style, not to everyone's taste, but if they are try finding one.

I've owned a Wings, an Avenger Seawolf (Titanium on a Pro2 bracelet) a Navitimer and I've admired and enjoyed all of them.

The Breitling range past and present seems to encompass everything from "WIS favourite" to "utterly crass".

The one consistent feature is that they are almost without exception cuff-shredders.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    The one consistent feature is that they are almost without exception cuff-shredders.
    You can't consider yourself a WIS until you've ripped the sleeve lining out of a few jackets on a Breitling rider tab ;-)

I really like the Top time and Aerospace and the rice bezel Navitimers look fab.

Blog Entries
    They tell me they produce the best chronograph movement in the world.
    But I can't buy one, I'm not a pilot...............

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    My Avenger was the first expensive watch I bought, having always admired Breitling as a brand, even though I'm not a pilot. It's on a Pro 2 rubber strap with the deployant. I love it. It does wear quite big on the wrist, but I think the quality shows. I bought it with money my Dad left me when he died, so it will never be sold. Also I got it shortly after my son was born, so hopefully he will get to enjoy it when he is older as a "birth year watch". He's only 2 so still a bit young to be a proper WIS yet.

Master
    Never on my radar but two things have changed my mind.

1) Breitling wristwatch or chronograph equipped with a Manufacture movement is guaranteed against any manufacturing defect for five years from the date of purchase.

2)Reading the new Andy McNab book and the hero Nick Stone wears one.

The downside is either buy new with a large discount (20/30%) or look for a second hand one.

The only unknown is how the new face of Breitling Dave Beckham will effect the image/price etc.

Banned
    They do make some nice watches but never buy them brand new or prepare to take a hit

Quote Originally Posted by TimeMatters View Post
    They do make some nice watches but never buy them brand new or prepare to take a hit
    To be fair you could say that about almost every other brand with the exception of some Rolex, Panerai and PP models....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    Very Nice ...Same watch Slash wears !! I have a SOH and love it ,
    Slash was on top gear some years ago what a nice guy, and very interesting to listen to, the amount of famous rock stars he met a a boy was awesome, apart from his appearance he seams so unassuming. rock on slash

Had quite a few of them and never had any real issues. What they lacked in movement (ETA) they made up for in quality cases and finish. Could not get on with the titanium Avengers though, I think they are using a rather soft type of titanium compared to for instance IWC and they scratched and dented quite easily. A pro is that their titanium is brushed instead of bead-blasted, so it is easily refinished. They had some typical style-clues, like the rider tabs and busy designs, and that didn't age well in my opinion. As the only top-brand they always kept quite a few ana-digi (super)quartz models in their line-up, and those are becoming classics in their own right (f.i. Aerospace, Emergency, B-1). Their biggest icon is the Navitimer, which is very nice indeed. I have no experience with the B-01 movement whatsoever, so cannot comment on that. Breitlings could always be bought with a decent discount, but be prepared to loose quite a bit when buying new.

One I bought new and still have...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    What kind of discount should I be aiming for a brand new one from AD?

- - - Updated - - -

@Fords wow how big is that!??
    About 20-30% but you can get more on certain models.

I was looking for a Chrono-Matic this week and spoke to my usual contact Sam at Andrew Michaels who threw a few models and prices at me but what really grabbed my attention was a limited edition 1461 49mm version he had in and could do for just under half price so I bagged a stunning watch at an awesome price!

I've had quite a few Breitlings over the years (wish I still had everyone) and I've only ever had an issue with two watches.

Their titanium stuff is fantastic and it's a shame they no longer do the likes of the titanium Chrono Avenger.

I can't say I'm overly keen on some of their latest stuff but the older models make good used buys, having said that though prices are increasing in the used market as older more sought after models such as the Blackbird and Chrono Avenger become harder to find.

Being a constant flipper and being fortunate enough to have bought most of mine discounted from new I've never taken a heavy hit when selling on and in fact on a couple I have actually made a little profit.

Stef

some are very nice some over the top imho..here's my one and only

Last edited by peter2704; 22nd November 2012 at 21:26.

Master
    So even with limited edition models, is 30% a good target to aim for? Does anyone here know an AD that you can refer me to so I can get a price like that?

Also what are peoples thoughts on POLISHED vs SATIN? I think they both look good, but leaning towards the Polished, after watching that Superfactory video...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    So even with limited edition models, is 30% a good target to aim for? Does anyone here know an AD that you can refer me to so I can get a price like that?

Also what are peoples thoughts on POLISHED vs SATIN? I think they both look good, but leaning towards the Polished, after watching that Superfactory video...
    Try Andrew Michaels, ask for Sam and tell him Stefan said you'd be able to sort you out with a good deal, their number is 01636 679638.

Stef

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I have a Steelfish and the quality is right up there with brands mentioned earlier in the thread. The dial looks fantastic under a 20X eye loupe.
    Me too and even tho Ive now got a couple of Rolexes and will buy another two more, Id never sell my beautiful Fish. If you can get a used one for around £1000 that is imho the best value quality watch you can buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Errr IWC!

Just saying like

I would choose an Aerospace Avantage over every other watch on the planet as a daily wearer.

Longed to get one again (had a few over the years) at the right time/place/price etc.....
    And finally did so recently.

Not worn any other watch since the day it landed.

I owned a Colt Coral Super Ocean about five years ago, and I'd buy another of the older models (Colt or Steelfish) if one ever popped up at a can't refuse price. I can't get on with the newer designs though, particularly their use of the "Countdown" font on the bezels (see the number range in the example on the left below):

If you Google the phrase "1970s fonts", this style will come up in the result for images. Why they thought this was appropriate for their diver range in 2010 is beyond me. The font will forever be associated with sci-fi movies from the 70s. It just looks dumb on a contemporary dive watch.

Give me one of their classics any day.

I'm a fan of their classics especially the Navitimer and have owned quite a few vintage models but have no interest in their modern stuff at all.

Just don't like the designs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Errr IWC!

Just saying like
    Agree, IWC Ti is better......

I used to have Blackbird SS mat case & pilot bracelet. Loved it, but after two Breitling services and it losing time up to 2 minutes a week about 3 months after each service I'd had enough. I'd still have another though, really bonded with it despite it being pretty crappy as a watch.

And yes they do Ti rather well, but prefer Panerai or Omega Sea / Speed Master Ti models

Can't think of anything in their current or recent range that I like at all, I'm afraid.