closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Sumo and alternatives: Opinions needed please.

Seiko Sumo and alternatives: Opinions needed please.

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a Seiko Sumo for my father in law as a Christmas present, but having never handled one I am a bit worried about the size of it. My FIL is in his 60's so I wonder if it would be a bit too out of character for an older gentleman. He is an action kind of guy though and likes sports watches, plus has big wrists (at a guess 8").

Also, I'd love to get some opinions about other good quality sports/diver watches on a bracelet for up to about £600. Obviously some of Eddie's watches are on my list, but again, the ones which I think would be suitable for my FIL aren't the ones I've ever handled. As for other brands, I've currently ruled out the Rolex lookalikes as he has a Sub, so I am looking for something a bit different. Both he and I like Seiko as a brand, hence my Sumo idea, but I am definitely open to suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Adi

Craftsman
    Adi, i can highly recommend the Seiko 'Spork' (if you can find one).
    I have both the black Sumo and Spork.

The Spork with bracelet is an amazing watch for the money!
    Excellent Lume, easy to see the time ( Sin lookalike) and wears well on the wrist.

Hope this helps.

I love the Sumo, had black , Orange and currently the Blue version. These don't wear that big for a 44mm watch as they're not too thick. If you go this route you might need to be careful as the Sumo bracelet isn't very long might just get to about 8" but that's about it from what I can remember. This isn't a problem for me as I've got mine on a Yobokies Anvil bracelet which is so comfortable and really completes the watch, highly recommended!

Alternatives? £600 is getting very close to a old quartz Bond Seamaster, though might wear a bit small on an 8" wrist. How about a lightly used Oris diver that would be in budget.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta2 View Post
    Adi, i can highly recommend the Seiko 'Spork' (if you can find one).
    I have both the black Sumo and Spork.

The Spork with bracelet is an amazing watch for the money!
    Excellent Lume, easy to see the time ( Sin lookalike) and wears well on the wrist.

Hope this helps.
    Agreed, if you can find one, they can't be beaten IMO