closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Curious Trading Situation

Master

A Curious Trading Situation

With the recent elevation in gold prices, even a really good watch can be worth scrapping!

Recently I bought a 14K 1940's Girard-Perregaux for $326, nice watch, I thought.

Almost half a troy ounce:

0.455 Troy Ounce (14K) value is about $460 today (New York spot price x 14/24).

Currently, even though it's now serviced and running, it's not selling for $495 on eBay, nobody watching, no offers, zip, nada, etc, etc.

However, 14K gold on eBay has sold lately at a price that would fetch me $435.46 with a standard deviation of about $37. A Peseux 180 sub-secs Ebel movement (in need of attention!) is on sale there for a whopping $150. Even if they get $50 that's still a buck or two. And I would get to keep the nice 1948 Spiedel expanding bracelet and a good crystal!

Dilemma, dilemma . . .
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 12th November 2012 at 21:01.

Re: A Curious Trading Situation

Don't scrap it... in 20 years gold will be in the toilet again, but that will still be a lovely watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Don't scrap it... in 20 years gold will be in the toilet again, but that will still be a lovely watch.
    Well, my hobby is fixing watches. Although I have a small collection, this watch was intended to be re-sold. Hence the dilemma - I'm out over $300 with more stuff on the agenda. Interesting comment about the future of gold, though ;-)