closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TWSBI Mini Fountain Pen - a mini review

Post TWSBI Mini Fountain Pen - a mini review

I thought I'd post this up as there appear to be a few fountain pen users here on the forum.

TWSBI Mini Classic Fine arrived arrived from the Writing Desk this morning. I have loaded it up with Noodlers Black Swan In Australian Roses and given it a quick try. In addition here are some photo's though the light is pretty non existent here at present. So my apologies that they are not to standard

It writes very nicely, though I find the nib a lot firmer than my previous TWSBI which was a 540 ROC 100. The ROC had much more flex although not an actual flex nib. As well as being shorter it is thinner than the 540, but not too thin for me.

You can write with it unposted ok but posted it really is a joy to use. I have shown it alongside my Rotring Lissabon which was to hand.

If you are undecided as to whether you should buy or not, I would say if you do not have a TWSBI already then you definitely should. Or if you are looking for a nice size to carry around and you find what you have already have a bit bulky to lug around then yes. If you are not so keen on mini sizes, prefer writing for longer periods or want a larger ink capacity then it may not be the one for you.

I went for the classic as I thought that this combined nice classic looks but still had the usefulness of being able to see how much ink was in it. I think that the classic looks classier than the other clear demonstrators or other colours that they do, but I didn't want solid colour as I couldn't see how much ink would be in it.

In summary I am very happy with the pen and it is great to have a TWSBI back again.

I take it you find this mini version long enough to fit in your hand comfortably when writing? I have two of the traditional TWSBI 540 pens (both at my work, my current daily implements of torture). They can perhaps become a little tiresome to write with over longer periods, but I wonder if the lost 2.5mm length on the mini would make it feel less controlled (more wobble) in your hand when writing?

I do like the look of your Noodler's ink. Do you source that from the UK? I thought that Noodler's had stopped exporting to the UK. I am currently using Diamine Ancient Copper and Lamy Green, with Diamine China Blue waiting in the wings.

Thanks for sharing. Very sharp photos in my opinion (despite your concerns!).

Thank you.

I haven't had any issue with the length. Posted it writes fine, but I wouldn't want to write for an extended time with it unposted. It's early days yet so I can't say for certain if there is any loss of control when writing (it's not that small), but the 540 felt steadier due to size and width.

There is only one source of Noodlers at the moment in the UK sadly. I got mine here:

http://www.purepens.co.uk/acatalog/N...Roses-Ink.html

They also sell their pens as well as their ink which look interesting.

Thanks for your reply, and the link to the ink. I actually bought my second 540 from that website when The Writing Desk sold out of stock, but I didn't think to look at their ink selection. I will take my chance with the Noodler's while they still have stock.

I was considering getting a 3rd pen, so that I would have a blue ink option always available (my thinking being to regularly switch between red, green and blue), so I shall certainly bear the Mini in mind.

Thank you again,
    Andrew.

I've had nothing but trouble with my 530 and 540 demonstrators. Multiple parts have broken, and I got no joy from contacting the manufacturer.

Gave up and went back to Pelikan :(

I did have issues with my 540 in the past as well with the thread of the lid cracking but found the company to be most helpful in replying and sending out replacement parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I did have issues with my 540 in the past as well with the thread of the lid cracking but found the company to be most helpful in replying and sending out replacement parts.
    I had no reply at all. Lid broke on the 540 and there was a crack in the barrel. The piston mechanism broke on the 530 (to the extent that attempting to fill the reservoir would basically cause the entire thing to unscrew), and the rubber "seal" between pen and cap broke. The company did respond when I initially complained about that, saying that it was a non-essential part. There was a large crack in the nib unit too. Most unhelpful.

Sorry to hear that. I got replies through asking for further detail and requesting some pictures then they cleared it up from there. The guy I was in contact with through email was Philip Wang. If you bought from the writing desk in the UK you can also go through them and get support also. It would be well worth trying them again to get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I had no reply at all. Lid broke on the 540 and there was a crack in the barrel. The piston mechanism broke on the 530 (to the extent that attempting to fill the reservoir would basically cause the entire thing to unscrew), and the rubber "seal" between pen and cap broke. The company did respond when I initially complained about that, saying that it was a non-essential part. There was a large crack in the nib unit too. Most unhelpful.

Ah ha, thanks for that. I've got both a 530 and a 540 and I'm quite tempted by a mini when I can afford one.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I got replies through asking for further detail and requesting some pictures then they cleared it up from there. The guy I was in contact with through email was Philip Wang. If you bought from the writing desk in the UK you can also go through them and get support also. It would be well worth trying them again to get it sorted.
    I'll try that. Many thanks.