closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Peugeot 206 Overheating

Peugeot 206 Overheating

Sorry - really boring, but I wondered if anyone could help!

My 12 year old Peugeot 206 has got a very intermittent overheat problem. Whenever I take it to the garage, they can't get the fault to reproduce. I drive the thing every day and it probably happens once or twice a week, always in traffic.

I have recorded what I see and have uploaded it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCbno...&feature=g-upl

My first suggestion would be a fan problem or thermostat...but I am unsure because of the way it overheats (watch the youtube video at about 0:38 - it hangs at 95 degrees then shoots off the scale only to recover fairly instantly when I put the heating fan on.)

Can anyone diagnose this from the video?

My apologies for the 'soundtrack'!

That's got to be an electrical fault. There's no way the engine temperature can actually be going from 95 to off the scale in half a second, then back down to 95 a few seconds later. Assuming the thing doesn't boil and throw all its water out when this happens (i.e. it's not actually overheating) I'd probably start by disconnecting the temperature sender and seeing if the gauge still goes off the scale. If it does, it could take a while to track the problem down. If it doesn't and stays stuck on zero, I'd change the temperature sender.

Defo electrical/sensor fault, as already said, won't cost much to replace once located.

Have you checked the earthing lead? I had something similar and found that th earthing lead had corroded inside its plastic sheath.

Its French !!

Master
    Agreed, definitely electrical.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    That's got to be an electrical fault. There's no way the engine temperature can actually be going from 95 to off the scale in half a second, then back down to 95 a few seconds later. Assuming the thing doesn't boil and throw all its water out when this happens (i.e. it's not actually overheating) I'd probably start by disconnecting the temperature sender and seeing if the gauge still goes off the scale. If it does, it could take a while to track the problem down. If it doesn't and stays stuck on zero, I'd change the temperature sender.

Cheers guys. Strange thing it's not totally random, it does only happen in traffic, but it does look electrical. If it makes sense, once I've switched the heater fan on, I can feel a little kick in the electrics when it goes back to normal.

Blackie...totally agree with you...I'll never buy a French car again!

I'll never buy a French car again!
    Probably the best thing to come of this thread :D

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Have you checked the earthing lead? I had something similar and found that th earthing lead had corroded inside its plastic sheath.
    OP, have you tried driving it into a wall and leaving it there?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Can't remember if it's a Clio or 206, but....
    One of them of that vintage has an earthing strap in the front wheel arch (who said something about French?) and they pretty much fal apart around the 10yr mark.

If it does it when in traffic, I wonder if something is happeningh either when the fan kicks in, or when it hits its second speed.
    Maybe there is an earth fault, where not enough current is flowing to power both the dash electrics and the blower motor.
    That sudden increase in engine temperature, is as mentioned impossible, so is definately an electrical issue.
    I would check and clean earth contacts, followed by a temp sender.
    The fact is, a garage could spend hours tracking the fault, but if you use common sense, you could probably just live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    OP, have you tried driving it into a wall and leaving it there?
    Gawd that made me laugh out loud
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Its French !!
    AH-hem, Italian motorcycle-pot-kettle :-)

Craftsman
    I had one of these as a work car a few years ago. It was was comfy for a small car, economical and was a really good drive and it had better time keeping than any of my watches! On the road for 10k and then in the garage for six weeks as regular as it comes, I got to know all the AA men in the area.

Peugeot 206 Overheating

French cars would be perfectly reliable if only they'd found a way to incorporate onions and garlic into them!

Blog Entries
    Your garage must be able to determine if the car really overheats! I agree with previous posters about the electrical gremlin. Having said that, must garages have a laser guided temp gun (e.g. http://tempgun.com/products-old/pe2/ ) somewhere. They just a have to point the laser at the thermostat housing at the moment the needle goes off the scale. You can buy one yourself and give it a try. And it's obvious where to look for! And you can draw your conclusions from there.

Next question: what happens when you're able to pick up speed the moment the car overheats? Does it lower the temp or...

Finally, get the on board computer checked: when you're facing this sort of problem a read out of the computer can be very handy.

Menno

French car = electrical problem - the end!

I had a (company) 206 which, within 1 week of me receiving it, had a complete meltdown of the electrical systems (smoke out the air vents and everything!) requiring a wiring loom replacement.

Oh yes - don't get me started on Renault!

The "I'll never buy a French car again" comment os one I sympathise with and hear rather too often.

Cheers,

Craftsman
    Do a search on ebay for ''Genuine Peugeot 206 Heater Resister for Radiator Fan Control - Heater Control'', basically what happens if your car gets hot and the sensor kicks in but the fan controller is knackered so it puts your temp reading through the roof to get you to stop the car until it cools.
    It sounds like your can is getting hot but its not overheating and this is usually the problem, i can't understand how the garage can't figure this out they only need to run the car until the fan should kick in.
    Anyway the part is only £25 or so and worth a try.

Also next time try German.

Thanks dixon and everyone...much appreciated.

I don't think the garage bothered to heat the emgine up enough...it needs to be in traffic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Thanks dixon and everyone...much appreciated.

I don't think the garage bothered to heat the emgine up enough...it needs to be in traffic.
    Yeah it will take ages to heat up in a garage from cold more so than when driving although slowly in traffic as the engine is under more load than when stationary.
    Apparently this is a common problem, the controller is a funny looking thing part switch and part mini radiator.