closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad 3 - I'm slightly confused...

Master

iPad 3 - I'm slightly confused...

I bought a 'New iPad' earlier this year, the model which I believe the general public refers to as the 'iPad 3'... you know, the one with the improved screen.

Just had a look on Apple's website which highlights there are three current iPads on general sale:

- iPad Mini
    - iPad 2
    - iPad with Retina Display

At first I assumed that the 'iPad with Retina Display' was Apple's new terminology for the 'iPad 3', but then realised that it has a lightning connector rather than the 30-pin connector I find on mine.

Has the 'iPad 3' been discontinued and replaced with the 'iPad with Retina Display', or are they effectively the same thing (i.e. identical spec including processor) but the newer version has the newer connector?

The new iPad (with retina display andlightening connector) is much faster than iPad3. Google ipad4.

I'll admit I knew nothing about this until I saw an article on it.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post

Has the 'iPad 3' been discontinued and replaced with the 'iPad with Retina Display', or are they effectively the same thing (i.e. identical spec including processor) but the newer version has the newer connector?
    The iPad 3 you have has been superseded.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Blimey, that was quick.

I feel like I'm living in the dark ages with my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3... don't know how I get anything done with those slow, archaic processors.

I must confess to being a Apple fanboy, I only have the Ipad 1 though, but I think I would be mighty pissed off if I had bought a 3 and then had the 'upgrade' version come out so soon after.....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    yeah im pretty annoyed TBH

Thomas Reid
    Yours still does what it did went you bought it.

I'm using a Dell Streak (phone) introduced in June 2010 (although the ROM is from 22 Oct 2012). It still does what it did in 2010, which, as it happens, is plenty good for what I use it for.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I must confess to being a Apple fanboy, I only have the Ipad 1 though, but I think I would be mighty pissed off if I had bought a 3 and then had the 'upgrade' version come out so soon after.....

Problem is they all upgrade so fast f you try and keep up its an expensive hobby for me you find a spec that suits and stick with it, the sticking piont with me is inability of only slightly old ( 1 - 2 years) not being being compatable with os upgrades almost forcing you to buy the new model

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Problem is they all upgrade so fast f you try and keep up its an expensive hobby for me you find a spec that suits and stick with it, the sticking piont with me is inability of only slightly old ( 1 - 2 years) not being being compatable with os upgrades almost forcing you to buy the new model

Yeah, I'm not too fussed to be honest - the spec of my iPad3 is good enough for me. A model upgrade every 6 months is a little more frequent than I'd like though.

Re: iPad 1, to be fair to Apple it was discontinued over 2.5 years ago so I wouldn't expect to benefit from the most recent OS updates. ANd iOS5 is still pretty good...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Yours still does what it did went you bought it.
    What does that have to do with anything, Bob ;)

Getting annoyed by relentless updates to Apple products... that way, madness lies. Also, what is there to be annoyed about? You know it will be considered old-hat by hipsters in x months' time...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I must admit to being annoyed as well. I liked the iPad when it was first released, and although I like Apple kit it is always expensive and I didn't need a tablet so resisted buying one.

However, I got an unexpected bonus earlier this year, which bought a new set of tyres for the car (boring) and an iPad 3 (unnecessary, but fun). I thought that generally as Apple stuff is on a 12 month refresh cycle I'd be good until 2013, so the iPad 4 is a bit of kick in the teeth.

I'll get over it, I'm sure, and the iPad 3 is great as it stands but it still rankles a bit that it's superseded so quickly. I can't see me buying another until iPad 6 comes out (about Easter?)

Cheers,

Plug.

I am very happy with my iPad 3, and bought her ladyship one off SC just today.
    Would I rather have an iPad 4? Of course.

However, the update isn't significant enough to upgrade for me.

I will probably upgrade every 2-3 years, or if any significant upgrade occurs (hence the iPad 3s with the Retina display).

Master
    I got an iPad 1 for Xmas 2010, still using it and loving it. Have had no reason to upgrade to the newer models but will admit I'm hoping for a 4 for this Xmas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    I got an iPad 1 for Xmas 2010, still using it and loving it. Have had no reason to upgrade to the newer models but will admit I'm hoping for a 4 for this Xmas.
    I went from 1 to 3.

I was super happy with the 1 and thought the upgraded screen was neither here nor there. However, a good deal cropped up so I bought the 3 and gave my 1 to the wife.

I now dislike using the 1 and would go upstairs to retrieve my 3 even if the 1 were sat next to me. Going from 1 to 3 was nice but not a big deal; going from 3 to 1 is awful.

Good luck, I hope Father Christmas peruses these boards. :-)

FWIW, I'm hoping for a TTS this Christmas, but we'll see. ;-)

Master
    I went from 1 to 3.

I was super happy with the 1 and thought the upgraded screen was neither here nor there. However, a good deal cropped up so I bought the 3 and gave my 1 to the wife.

I now dislike using the 1 and would go upstairs to retrieve my 3 even if the 1 were sat next to me. Going from 1 to 3 was nice but not a big deal; going from 3 to 1 is awful.

Good luck, I hope Father Christmas peruses these boards. :-)

FWIW, I'm hoping for a TTS this Christmas, but we'll see. ;-)
    I have a TTS!!! Or did you know that already lol?

Thomas Reid
    Here's a link at The Register where they show iFixit's tear down comparison of the iPad 3 and 4. The Register says, "Fret not, fanbois. The tools, parts, and repairs folks at iFixit have just torn apart Apple's latest fondleslab and found little to tempt you to reopen that billfold.". So, be happy.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...ipad_teardown/

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam View Post
    I have a TTS!!! Or did you know that already lol?
    Stalked you from the TT Forum.

Banned
    You'll have to check, but I was talking to an Apple fan at work - he was saying that a lot of people are annoyed & Apple have agreed to some sort of swap or hugely reduced price if you switch from iP3 to 4.

Master

Stalked you from the TT Forum.
    Oh hello!!

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Here's a link at The Register where they show iFixit's tear down comparison of the iPad 3 and 4. The Register says, "Fret not, fanbois. The tools, parts, and repairs folks at iFixit have just torn apart Apple's latest fondleslab and found little to tempt you to reopen that billfold.". So, be happy.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...ipad_teardown/

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I was considering getting an iPad 4 but now I know the battery is not easily replaceable I'll probably consider something else.

And remains to be seen if the iPad mini is going to be popular - initial sales appear to have fallen short of Apple's expectations.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 3rd November 2012 at 11:14.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Why would that put you off buying? It's covered under warranty for the first year and in all honesty how often has a battery gone tits up in an apple product.
    I've had numerous phones, pod and my iPad 1 is nearly 2 years old, gets used everyday and the battery is fine.
    I wouldn't let that put you off mate.

Re: iPad 3 - I'm slightly confused...

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    You'll have to check, but I was talking to an Apple fan at work - he was saying that a lot of people are annoyed & Apple have agreed to some sort of swap or hugely reduced price if you switch from iP3 to 4.
    I would be up for a bit of that, if it was an option :-)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I would be up for a bit of that, if it was an option :-)
    They were definitely offering a free replacement for iPads bought within previous 30 days before announcement of iPad 4. Wouldn't surprise me if they've extended that

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    They were definitely offering a free replacement for iPads bought within previous 30 days before announcement of iPad 4. Wouldn't surprise me if they've extended that
    Thanks for that.
    Unfortunately I don't think the scheme will apply to my 3, bought on the day of release
    It will continue to do everything that I need it to for a few years yet.

Next purchase will probably be the iPad Mini when they upgrade the screen (before Summer '13?!)

Thomas Reid
    Here's a strategy. Step one: increase the churn rate so that only the very best off of the Apple users can afford to keep up. For step two there are two options. Step two (first version): be a bit smaller in numbers sold, but very "exclusive". Step two (second version): introduce leasing.

I'm inclined to go for step two. There is even more control that way. For example, jail breaking a phone would be a violation of the lease agreement. They would know how many to make, etc.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 3rd November 2012 at 12:52.

Master
    Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not a cheap first generation Ipad would still make sense? Thinking primarily about browsing, occasional work related stuff and hooking up to the tv & stereo when abroad rather than anything particularly heavy duty. Wouldn't mind the ability to play the occasional game but not a deal breaker.

When I went from the iPad 2 to the 3 I loved the new display but hated the extra thickness and lower battery life. With a faster processor, I'm assuming the iPad 4 is no improvement in terms of bulk and, importantly, battery life. So I have no interest in it. I still think the iPad 2 was good enough, if not better on balance, given the excellent battery life (and it never heated up like the iPad 3 either).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    Anybody have any thoughts on whether or not a cheap first generation Ipad would still make sense? Thinking primarily about browsing, occasional work related stuff and hooking up to the tv & stereo when abroad rather than anything particularly heavy duty. Wouldn't mind the ability to play the occasional game but not a deal breaker.
    Still loving mine and see no need to upgrade. It will be adequate for all the above apart from hooking up to a TV - I'm fairly sure you can't do it with an IPad 1 but happy to be proved wrong.
    Last edited by simonrah; 3rd November 2012 at 19:17.

I bought my iPad 3 about 4 days before the announcement for the iPad 4. I had started using it

Yesterday I took it back and explained I was a little disappointed that I missed the iPad 4 by 4 days. They swapped my 3 for a new 4. Apparently if you buy an apple product upto 14 days before the announcement for a new one, they upgrade to the new one, no questions. This has to be done fairly quick (not sure how quick).

Thank you Apple :)

Master
    Thanks both. I'm edging towards the 2nd gen - seems like a safer bet in terms of processor and memory.

Final question, I think - I'm keen to avoid iOS6 for the time being as I don't want something that's faulty out of the box. If I buy an iPad 2 that's been downgraded to 6, can I revert to 5 or am I stuck with it?

No Retina display on iPad mini .. and why the iPad Mini 2 may not have a Retina display either:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1482306

... seems I may have to wait for the Mini 3 ... 2014?

Meantime, may source an iPad first generation to tide me over.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    I bought my iPad 3 about 4 days before the announcement for the iPad 4. I had started using it

Yesterday I took it back and explained I was a little disappointed that I missed the iPad 4 by 4 days. They swapped my 3 for a new 4. Apparently if you buy an apple product upto 14 days before the announcement for a new one, they upgrade to the new one, no questions. This has to be done fairly quick (not sure how quick).

Thank you Apple :)
    It's nothing to do with announcements - Apple offer 14 says quibble free exchange or refund on everything.

So you can buy something, use it and if you don't get on with it just take it back.

You can offer this service when your product is do good.

Thanks both. I'm edging towards the 2nd gen - seems like a safer bet in terms of processor and memory.

Final question, I think - I'm keen to avoid iOS6 for the time being as I don't want something that's faulty out of the box. If I buy an iPad 2 that's been downgraded to 6, can I revert to 5 or am I stuck with it?
    iOS 6 is fine. No issues here.

Master

Re: iPad 1, to be fair to Apple it was discontinued over 2.5 years ago so I wouldn't expect to benefit from the most recent OS updates. ANd iOS5 is still pretty good...

Not so I have an iPad 1 purchased nov 10, iPad 2 IIRC .came out 03/11. Pissed off that my iPad is obsolete is an understatement .....

Master
    I'm glad that you haven't had any problems, but I've heard otherwise from people using it, and the map problem by itself is a deal breaker.

I'm still running ipad1, it still does everything I need it to; about to upgrade to a 4 as I can get use from the cameras and I can give to one to a child..

Keep an eye on the mac buyers guide at macrumors.com; it gives a pretty accurate guide to what's happening on upgrades.

Master
    Thanks - I went for an iPad 2, 64GB, wifi & 3g - seemed to offer a reasonable combination of functionality and price - although having slight buyer's remorse having seen the refurbed 32GB wifi & 3g iPad 3s available on Apple's site, albeit for a fair bit more.

I'm glad that you haven't had any problems, but I've heard otherwise from people using it, and the map problem by itself is a deal breaker.
    What are you going to do with maps on a tablet?

I've trialled maps on iOS6 for turn by turn directions, just out of interest as to how it performs, and it's been 100% accurate. Maybe I've been lucky...

Master
    It's not a question of what one might do with maps on a tablet but more a case of why one would want something that's clearly not fit for purpose at all, even if it's unlikely to be used that often (but very likely to be used at times). It's a bit like asking if I'd buy a car with a square spare wheel.

Master
    The maps aren't as accurate or detailed as the previous Google Maps and there's no Street View.
    However, for me, the addition of turn by turn Sat Nav more than makes up for it.
    It works really well too, but I understand it's Tom Tom, so it should do.

Ah, maps.

Data set is shockingly bad ( searched for a cinema near Staines, it showed three, but the address for one was in Kent and the other in the Orkneys.

Turn by turn is good once you've found what you want.

Location finding is terrible for me- in Shanghai this week, it consistently thought I was in Staines...

However, the management team in charge of Maps has been fired, and I'm using the Nokia maps app which works a lot better.

I've only had my new iPad (iPad 3) for about a month a tad annoyed but i've got mine jailbroken and configured exactly how i want it so that eases the annoyance a bit.

But a 6 month upgrade is annoying.

Both models have a Retina Display, although the iPad 4 is being referred to, not only as the fourth generation, but the "iPad with Retina Display."

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauting View Post
    I've only had my new iPad (iPad 3) for about a month a tad annoyed but i've got mine jailbroken and configured exactly how i want it so that eases the annoyance a bit.

But a 6 month upgrade is annoying.
    What are the advantages to jailbreaking?

I sidestepped the whole "annoyed because its out of date" issue by getting work to buy mine - I'll swap in a couple of years (again - not me paying).

For personal use I've an Android phone (HTC One X+) and am about to pick up a Nexus 7 (32Gb) tablet.

However - the 3 does everything that I need so why should I worry. I'll only care when some software or feature comes out that I have to use at work that mine won't cope with (then it's upgrade time).

Cheers,

Master
    Regarding the Maps app in iOS6... it is SHOCKING!

If I could, I'd return to iOS5.x on both my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3 for that reason alone.

And the turn-by-turn nav capability is of no benefit whatsoever as 'Nav Free' has provided that... at no cost... for the last couple of years.

The maps problem is infinitely more annoying than my iPad 3 no longer being the current version.

What are the advantages to jailbreaking?
    Jailbreaking allows 3rd party apps to run on your iPad.

Best thing is to google the advantages of jailbreaking.

I constantly find out new apps every so often, i'll post a list of useful apps in a little while.

Here's a good list of jailbreak tweaks:

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-...ak-tweaks.html

I really don't understand those who get annoyed about new devices. If you'd bought an android tablet you'd see new devices released practically every week.

Regarding the Maps app in iOS6... it is SHOCKING!

If I could, I'd return to iOS5.x on both my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3 for that reason alone.

And the turn-by-turn nav capability is of no benefit whatsoever as 'Nav Free' has provided that... at no cost... for the last couple of years.

The maps problem is infinitely more annoying than my iPad 3 no longer being the current version.
    Stop buying technology then - simples..................
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........