closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for a Caribbean cruise?.......

Re: Anyone for a Caribbean cruise?.......

Another picture of my blue-dialled Jenny Caribbean 700m with case ref. 702:

Next up is a rare one: a Philip Watch Caribbean 1500 Hi Swing. It's rare due to the "Hi Swing" designation and the steel milled bezel. This one has a ref. 715 case which is similar to , but a bit larger than the 702 case. I bought this one from JonW and the pictures are reproduced with his kind permission:

Next up is this rare Montresor Caribbean 1000. I've only ever seen one other with this name. I bought this one also from JonW and again, the pictures are his and used with permission:

Some more pictures of the Montresor. I think I'm right in assuming that this watch came with the yellow decompression bezel seen in most of the pictures. However, it now has the 12 hr bezel instead as seen in the last picture. This picture also shows the Omega BOR bracelet:

I hve one ladies version left...somewhere! Neat little watch..

Quote Originally Posted by John Vargas
    Got any pictures of it John?

I've got some of the ladies Caribbeans too, although they are nominally for my wife :wink: :D

A black-dialled Aquadive Caribbean 1000 with the later wide bezel:

Dave,

Now how did I know you were going to ask? It took me over an hour to find it.

Overall, she is in great condition (for over 40 years old) she runs, needs a service, and a new crystal and she will be good as new again!

Same size MOL as a Rolex Ladies DateJust! The ladies watches are for my wife!

Strange countdown timer! Screw down crown!

John

Craftsman

Hi Dave,
    Fantastic collection! As soon as I saw the thread, I thought of the Montresor I almost bought from JonW but ummed and aahed too much and it went...apparently to you! Congratulations! I thought I might see it if I followed the thread long enough.
    Here's my solitary contribution. Also coincidentally on a Watchadoo.
    Jenny Caribbean Junior Chronograph 200m (the junior is an interesting term for such a beefy watch!).

Dave,

Now how did I know you were going to ask? It took me over an hour to find it.

Overall, she is in great condition (for over 40 years old) she runs, needs a service, and a new crystal and she will be good as new again!

Same size MOL as a Rolex Ladies DateJust! The ladies watches are for my wife!

Strange countdown timer! Screw down crown!

John

Thanks John,

That is the only example of a Thermidor Caribbean that I have ever seen. Is it the one that was sold "out of eBay" a couple of years ago? Are you sure it needs a new crystal? To me, it looks like a good abrasive treatment and polish will do the job. I doubt you will be able to find a new crystal for it unless you know of a supplier that I don't....a good example of real world unobtanium :wink: As for the bezel, are you sure that it is a countdown timer? It looks more to me like the ladies version of the Jenny decompression bezel, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopath
    Hi Dave,
    Fantastic collection! As soon as I saw the thread, I thought of the Montresor I almost bought from JonW but ummed and aahed too much and it went...apparently to you! Congratulations! I thought I might see it if I followed the thread long enough.
    Jenny Caribbean Junior Chronograph 200m (the junior is an interesting term for such a beefy watch!).

Hi cyclopath,

That's a stunning Caribbean chronograph and is one I've never been able to get :cry: Does it have a monoblock case like the "true" Caribbean chronographs with their Valjoux 72 movements or is it like my Haste Caribbean chronograph shown earlier and the following Jenny Caribbean chronograph?

Quote Originally Posted by Timelord
    Thanks John,

That is the only example of a Thermidor Caribbean that I have ever seen. Is it the one that was sold "out of eBay" a couple of years ago? Are you sure it needs a new crystal? To me, it looks like a good abrasive treatment and polish will do the job. I doubt you will be able to find a new crystal for it unless you know of a supplier that I don't....a good example of real world unobtanium :wink: As for the bezel, are you sure that it is a countdown timer? It looks more to me like the ladies version of the Jenny decompression bezel, but I could be wrong.
    Dave,

I am sorry! Yes, you are correct! It is a Non-Deco Bezel, and not a countdown, my apologies.

Yes, it is the one that was on ebay three or so years ago, and I paid a fortune for it.

The crystal could be polished, but I figured it was easy to replace...I do have a source for rare crystals, but he is a true pain to deal with! I never got around to getting it fixed!

Probably will not either!

Cheers, and thanks for the correction!

John

Thanks John,

Dave,

I am sorry! Yes, you are correct! It is a Non-Deco Bezel, and not a countdown, my apologies.

Yes, it is the one that was on ebay three or so years ago, and I paid a fortune for it.

The crystal could be polished, but I figured it was easy to replace...I do have a source for rare crystals, but he is a true pain to deal with! I never got around to getting it fixed!

Probably will not either!

Cheers, and thanks for the correction!

John
    No probs. mate. I hope you didn't pay over the odds for it :)

I've got a few ladies Caribbeans, but none with the decomp. bezel. Here's a NOS (with box and papers) orange Aquadive 1000:

Hey Dave!

Lovely..want to trade? LOL!

John

Hey Dave!

Lovely..want to trade? LOL!

John
    I'm alright, thanks John :wink: :D The man's version of the above (Aquadive) Caribbean is 50mm wide and nearly impossible to find (I certainly don't have one). When they do appear on eBay, they always go for megabucks. I think that the case ref. on these (the mens) is 709.

Another Caribbean I don't have in the mens is the 2000. Nonetheless, I do have a ladies version. As with the Caribbean 1500s, these are WR to 1000m. I believe that the higher numbers merely relate to later models. It is the only Caribbean 2000 that I own. It is large for a vintage ladies watch at 40mm. This size coupled with a small dial allows for a huge bezel with room for a 60 minute bezel that clearly indicates each minute.

Again, seller's pictures.

Dave,

Nice looking watch! I knew a guy in Belgium that had a few of them, went to sell them, and like you said wanted a fortune!

I paid something like $350.00 for the watch, no to bad, considering its scarcity, figured a few hundred in it to restore it, but them, I bought the Mrs.’ another watch that she loves, so this one will sit in the pile!!! LOL!

Cheers, and I hope you acquire them all, it would be a great collection to have!

John

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopath
    Hi Dave,

Hi cyclopath,

That's a stunning Caribbean chronograph and is one I've never been able to get :cry: Does it have a monoblock case like the "true" Caribbean chronographs with their Valjoux 72 movements or is it like my Haste Caribbean chronograph shown earlier and the following Jenny Caribbean chronograph?

It has the same shape of other monoblock cases that you have shown. It is identical to the one Eddie had and sold (see page 2 of thread).
    Screw in crown, manual wind although having never had the back off I don't know what motor.
    Screw back case. I guess technically NOT a monoblock since it has a screw back case, no?
    As a side note, came with original bracelet with Jenny logo - which I took off and put on the Watchadoo instead.

Dave J

It has the same shape of other monoblock cases that you have shown. It is identical to the one Eddie had and sold (see page 2 of thread).
    Screw in crown, manual wind although having never had the back off I don't know what motor.
    Screw back case. I guess technically NOT a monoblock since it has a screw back case, no?
    As a side note, came with original bracelet with Jenny logo - which I took off and put on the Watchadoo instead.

Dave J
    I think that the case shape looks superficially like the ref. 708 case. However, by having a screw back, it is not a monoblock case. What I call the "true" Caribbean chronographs are huge at about 50mm and look like the ref. 709 Geoff posted above, but with chronograph functionality, obviously. These chronographs have Valjoux 72 movements and a price to match. They are similar in appearance to some of the other high quality diver chronogrpahs of the time, such as the Nivada Chronoking, Favre Leuba Sea Sky, Zodiac SSW chrono, Benrus Sky Chief etc. I'll dig out some pictures of the "true" Caribbean chronographs later. :)

Dave,

What a fantastic thread and hope you don't mind my sharing it for others with a lust for the Caribbean! It really show what can be accomplished when you combine desire & perseverence... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboy1
    Dave,

What a fantastic thread and hope you don't mind my sharing it for others with a lust for the Caribbean! It really show what can be accomplished when you combine desire & perseverence... :)
    Mark,

I don't mind at all. :) I keep meaning to update the thread with some of the newer additions from the last 3 years or so. These include a hat trick of ref. 709s, an orange dialled Jenny ref. 702 with orange and black decomp. bezel, a Heuer ref. 702 and a Perona ref. 702. I still don't have a true Caribbean chronograph however.

I've got a similar, if slightly smaller collection of Squales?...

Cool watches!

Dave,

Mark,

I don't mind at all. :) I keep meaning to update the thread with some of the newer additions from the last 3 years or so. These include a hat trick of ref. 709s, an orange dialled Jenny ref. 702 with orange and black decomp. bezel, a Heuer ref. 702 and a Perona ref. 702. I still don't have a true Caribbean chronograph however.

Would love to see all those! One day I'll get around to taking some photos of my my far more modest bunch...

Dave,

Mark,

Would love to see all those! One day I'll get around to taking some photos of my my far more modest bunch...
    I need to take some decent pictures of mine too. Ive got everything I need to do it, camera, Maplin light tent, but never get round to taking many pictures. In the meantime, I'll have a look at my collection of pictures to update the thread.

Hi, i'm a new member on this forum and i follow this thread since a long time!
    Here is my contribution to this fantastic thread :

- My first one : a Philip watch Caribbean 400m Sub continental (not the original bezel but i found this one and it fits well)
    - Haste de luxe Caribbean 700, ref. 701.
    - Jaquet Droz Caribbean 1000m, ref 702 with a NOS yellow GMT bezel.

(The two Tropic sport are originals)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucchese

- My first one : a Philip watch Caribbean 400m Sub continental (not the original bezel but i found this one and it fits well)

Hello and welcome to the forum. :) you have some lovely and rare Caribbeans there. I particularly like the Jaquet Droz. :D

Hello and welcome to the forum. :) you have some lovely and rare Caribbeans there. I particularly like the Jaquet Droz. :D
    Yes ditto thanks and also love the Jaquet-Droz!

Thanks for your comments.
    When I bought the Jaquet Droz, it looked like this ... :
    Without the bezel, without the original hands, crown broken ...
    After a couple of weeks, I was lvery very ucky to find a lot of rare NOS Caribbean bezels and then my watch-maker found me originals hands . And finally the crown was changed.
    The watch is running perfectly. It's my graal!

After a couple of weeks, I was lvery very ucky to find a lot of rare NOS Caribbean bezels and then my watch-maker found me originals hands . And finally the crown was changed.

You were very lucky to find all of those parts, although there is somebody on eBay selling parts now. However, he has not sold many crystals, bezels or dials. Therefore, I would say that dials are the rarest, then crystals and then the bezels. For that matter, not many cases come up for sale either.

You have spare bezels...? :)

You have spare bezels...? :)
    They are always handy to have. That way, the above Jaquet Droz or my older Perona basket case can be rejuvenated. :)

I juste have one more yellow bezel but sorry i want to keep it, juste in case... :wink:

I juste have one more yellow bezel but sorry i want to keep it, juste in case... :wink:
    That's the right answer. :D

My new purchase, with the yellow bezel, the one we discussed before :mrgreen:
    I bought this watch with the blue bezel...
    It's much better with the original one.

By lucchese2 at 2012-01-11

Nice! And now to search for the angled end link bead of rice to complete the look!

Very hard to find...!

Quote Originally Posted by emstudio
    Nice! And now to search for the angled end link bead of rice to complete the look!
    Good luck with that. :wink: It's easier to find a BOR bracelet with standard end links and grind them down to fit the splayed lugs on the 702 Caribbean.

Master

And the sun came out today

For the first time in what seems like months there is a blue sky and sunshine here in the North of England. Got my Caribbean 200 on to celebrate.

Waou! :headbang:

My new purchase, with the yellow bezel, the one we discussed before :mrgreen:
    I bought this watch with the blue bezel...
    It's much better with the original one.

By lucchese2 at 2012-01-11
    That is lovely, and the dial is not spotted, unlike mine. Where did you find it?

Hi Dave, I found it in Italy.
    I was looking for the same watch as you :mrgreen:
    Now, it's done! :occasion5:

Craftsman

Joining the cruise. 8)

I'm still searching for the original SS bracelet if anybody has one in a drawer. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by sharkfin
    Joining the cruise. 8)

I'm still searching for the original SS bracelet if anybody has one in a drawer. :wink:

Very nice. Somebody else has given these the moniker "Discosub", which seems appropriate. I've got one just like yours.

Hi Dave, I found it in Italy.
    I was looking for the same watch as you :mrgreen:
    Now, it's done! :occasion5:
    Congratulations. I'd never seen another until now. :D

A collection of watches Caribbean without the original Jenny was a little sad ... I could not miss this great opportunity .... :glasses7:
    I'm not sure but I think this is the first model in 1963 ... Tell me if I'm wrong?

Let me also add a family photo :mrgreen:

Craftsman

That's a very funky looking bit of 70's brilliance. That would definitely suit my Kipper ties, flared trousers and massive collared shirts. Love it.

I don't think that your blue Jenny is the 1st version. A heavily embossed back, bright coloured dials and fuller lume hour markers are more consistent with later versions in the 1970s perhaps. I've got no real evidence for this other than a hunch and the fact that ref 702 that look like yours are very similar to the undoubtedly later ref 715. the earlier versions look more like the dial on your Jaquet Droz, the bezel on which looks later than the dial.

I think you're right, it does not look like the first version.
    The date on the back of the watch is difficult to read but it must be 68 and not 63 :salute:

I have just received the12 hours black bezel (NOS) I was looking for a long long time.
    After the GMT yellow and the GMT blue, the black one :headbang:
    I think my Jaquet Droz is complete :compress:

Gorgeous...! 8)

I have just received the12 hours black bezel (NOS) I was looking for a long long time.
    After the GMT yellow and the GMT blue, the black one :headbang:
    I think my Jaquet Droz is complete :compress:

Wow, it looks much better now. 8)