closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New style CWC GS2000

Craftsman

Cool New style CWC GS2000

I just received this new style CWC GS2000. The numerals are lumed, the hands are fat, as well as other small changes. Since the current G10 is out of stock, I wonder if the next batch will have the lumed numerals and fat hands too.

Craftsman
    Hello Mat,

Is the watch MoD issued or straight from Silverman's?

Thanks,

Terry

Craftsman
    Silvermans, but without the C in the serial number. It is the very latest 2012 variety, so if issued ones become available, it probably won't be for a while yet :)

GS2000

Hi,

any picture of the back of yours ?

cheers,

Craftsman
    Not the best picture, its too dark here now..
    You can just see that they've added a slot for a case tool in the side of the case, and the engraving is lighter than before.

Interesting, I guess these changes count as improvements then! I wonder if the next batch of regular G10s will still have a battery hatch.
    Last edited by AndySquirrel; 3rd November 2012 at 16:11.

Journeyman
    love the seconds hand in that photo

Craftsman
    The new hands are definitely an improvement, but I think the previous dial was better. The dial from early 2012 has the best contrast of any CWC G10 I've seen, and great lume. With this one the lume is not so great and there is poor contrast - the black doesn't seem very black. I haven't taken the back off to see how tight the fit is, but its clearly a different snap back fitting, with less of a gap. I can see from the date font that the movement is still a Ronda.

cwc gs2000

I like it a lot. Love to see one "in the metal."

its amazing how much a difference relatively small changes can make to a watch. i like that alot
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Would have been nicer with a reintroduced battery hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Would have been nicer with a reintroduced battery hatch.
    I agree love the hatch.

I am liking the new hands though I have way to many of the older ones so it will be nice to add a bit of variety to my collection.

It looks very nice.

Case appears to be a little larger (more metal around the bezel) although this may well be because of the angle of the watch in the the picture. The hands are an improvement but the lack of a battery hatch seems a backward step.

Craftsman
    The GS2000 hasn't had a battery hatch for a long time if ever. There were some called 'navigators' in the 80s and 90s with battery hatches and date windows, but the usual G10 without date should still hopefully have a battery hatch when the next batch arrives. I hope so, because that means it will more likely use the better ETA 955 movement. The watch in the picture above has a faulty ronda movement, it keeps stopping at night when not on my wrist. I haven't had much luck with rondas, my last one went 4 seconds slow per day!

nice good.i SAW IT NEW MODEL BUT IT DONT SOUNDS LIKE THE OLDER ONE MODEL.

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    I just received this new style CWC GS2000. The numerals are lumed, the hands are fat, as well as other small changes. Since the current G10 is out of stock, I wonder if the next batch will have the lumed numerals and fat hands too.

Nice.
    But quartz.
    Nothing is perfect...

Craftsman
    New batch of G10 are out, I presume with the same fat hands as this. One is on its way to me now, so I'll post pictures when it arrives.

Unfortunately the prices have risen quite a bit! I guess that is to be expected when they are always selling out of them. They are £130 for the G10 and £150 for the GS2000 !

Craftsman
    My new G10 arrived! :)
    The latest batch of G10 are still in the old style - they have thin hands, and the numerals are not lumed. But they do not have a C in the issue number.
    About this time last year I got a GS2000 that was engraved with the next year's year number, but this G10 and the GS2000 above both have the year 12.

Journeyman
    Looks very nice ,i am going to silvermans webpage.

Are Silvermans selling only the new ones, or do they still have the previous model of GS2000 ?

Craftsman
    Best off asking them directly, but if you want the thin hands and non-lumed numerals, the G10 is the better watch. It has the battery hatch and the superior movement. :)

Red face

I have too many G10 (lol), that why I was wondering about the new GS 2000...

:)

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Best off asking them directly, but if you want the thin hands and non-lumed numerals, the G10 is the better watch. It has the battery hatch and the superior movement. :)
    Do you mean that the ETA is better than the Ronda (or Miyota I do not remember) ??

I love it - what a perfect grab & go.

Craftsman
    I believe the ETA 955.111 is better than the Ronda 715, yes.
    I've taken both apart, and its my personal opinion that the design, materials, and looks of the ETA are all superior. They are more expensive too, and all have end of life indicators, which some 715 lack (those made in the far east from Swiss parts, not a problem with the GS2000 but sometimes it can be hard to know which version you are getting). I've had a Ronda 715 that ran 4.5 seconds per day slow, and a couple that just stopped working for no apparent reason - including the one in the picture at the start of this thread! I sent it back and got a G10. I've never had a problem with an ETA 955, and I'm wearing a 1989 one at the moment which still keeps excellent time.
    Its not a large enough sample to talk about the relative reliability of the two, but I've read similar comments elsewhere...

Just got the newest 2012 G10 and it looks like they have changed the case finish slightly, although still matte finish it appears a bit brighter - same with the hands. It is difficult to photograph but it looks shiner on the wrist, I rather like it. The crown is also slightly more refined.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    Just got the newest 2012 G10 and it looks like they have changed the case finish slightly, although still matte finish it appears a bit brighter - same with the hands. It is difficult to photograph but it looks shiner on the wrist, I rather like it. The crown is also slightly more refined.
    Do you know if the new Luminova G10 is issued or not ?

Thanks for sharing,

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent B View Post
    Do you know if the new Luminova G10 is issued or not ?

Thanks for sharing,
    Guessing by the high serial number on the back of mine I think it probably is part of an issued batch.
    Last edited by AndySquirrel; 21st December 2012 at 20:01.

A late response to points raised earlier by mat, thin hands, non lumed dial and a battery hatch. Looks like the watch I was thinking of was the G10...opps! Apologies for any hiccups that may have caused. Hopefully, none at all given the level of knoweldge around here.

The general timekeeping of my piece supports your comments. It has been excellent so far. My only gripe is that I have not yet managed to wear out or compromise the too narrow grey nato it was supplied with.

Now back to the main theme of the thread.
    Last edited by halfscrew; 22nd December 2012 at 18:47. Reason: correction to content

Nice watch for no big price!
    I wona one in colection!

Feel free to laugh at me, but why do CWC make two such similar watches but with slightly different specs? (I.e. the GS2000 and G10.) Looking at Silverman's website, they're both £130.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Earwicker View Post
    Feel free to laugh at me, but why do CWC make two such similar watches but with slightly different specs? (I.e. the GS2000 and G10.) Looking at Silverman's website, they're both £130.

Alex
    Legend has it that the G10 came first and then the RAF wanted one for navigators with a date and no battery hatch so the GS2000 was born. Personally I think the GS2000 spec was thought up so that Seiko were able to make cheaper Pulsar watches without the battery hatch and CWC were able to produce a watch with a cheaper movement to compete with it.

The silvermans retail price doesn't show that, but at least you have the option of having a watch with a date and no battery hatch should you wish.
    Last edited by AndySquirrel; 27th December 2012 at 15:10.

Legend has it that the G10 came first and then the RAF wanted one for navigators with a date and no battery hatch so the GS2000 was born. Personally I think the GS2000 spec was thought up so that Seiko were able to make cheaper Pulsar watches without the battery hatch and CWC were able to produce a watch with a cheaper movement to compete with it.

The silvermans retail price doesn't show that, but at least you have the option of having a watch with a date and no battery hatch should you wish.
    Thanks mate!

Is the take-home message that the G10 is the better watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Earwicker View Post
    Thanks mate!

Is the take-home message that the G10 is the better watch?
    I think so, but if you absolutely must have a date then you might disagree!

I think so, but if you absolutely must have a date then you might disagree!
    No, I think I can live without a date. :-)

Actually the GS2000 (for RAF only) and the G10 (used by all services) are both general issue watches. They are issued to personnel from all branches and roles including being the standard issue for Pilots, Armoured Corp, Infantry, Navy and all the various support roles etc. The "Navigator's" G10 with date was issued to Navy ship's navigators whilst Weapon System Operators (Navigators) on fast jets like the Tornado have been issued the Chronographs (not the pilots). In general they are all excellent quality and in a different league from the Pulsars which are not worth the trouble of signing out as they are such unreliable junk. The ETA based CWCs are however definitely superior to the Rhonda ones.

Master
    I can't believe how much people are asking for the issued Pulsar chronos. I've seen issued ones being offered for as much as £300, which is probably ten times the price the MOD pays for them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by derek_faker View Post
    I can't believe how much people are asking for the issued Pulsar chronos. I've seen issued ones being offered for as much as £300, which is probably ten times the price the MOD pays for them.
    Correct me if I am wrong, the issued Pulsar Chrono has the nicer hands, more avaition like, than the civvy version.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrover View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, the issued Pulsar Chrono has the nicer hands, more avaition like, than the civvy version.
    Indeed, but the movement is a zero jewel plastic fantastic piece of carp. The watch looks nice but its guts just don't warrant such a hefty price tag IMHO.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the explaination, I only liked it due to the nice airplane dial style hands, but wasnt aware of the cheapo internals, both on the civvy and issued version.

Apprentice

Apparently CWC Are Not Currently Supplying the MOD

I came across something which can be downloaded here that indicates CWC do not currently supply the MOD and that the current suppliers are as below. This is the link https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...3/99109A36.doc

The following watches are currently procured by Defence Equipment and Support for UK Armed Forces:

General Service Watch
    Supplier: Seiko
    Model: PXD433
    Qty Issued: 302 since 2009

Aircrew Watch
    Supplier: Seiko
    Model: PX8307X1
    Qty Issued: 905 since late 2010

Divers Watch
    Supplier: Northern Diver (International) Ltd
    Model: Citizen Model BN0000-04H (Professional Divers watch)
    QTY issued: 855 since 2009

I am baffled why they did not take the 100m Precista which from what I have seen was a first class bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
    Actually the GS2000 (for RAF only) and the G10 (used by all services) are both general issue watches. They are issued to personnel from all branches and roles including being the standard issue for Pilots, Armoured Corp, Infantry, Navy and all the various support roles etc. The "Navigator's" G10 with date was issued to Navy ship's navigators whilst Weapon System Operators (Navigators) on fast jets like the Tornado have been issued the Chronographs (not the pilots). In general they are all excellent quality and in a different league from the Pulsars which are not worth the trouble of signing out as they are such unreliable junk. The ETA based CWCs are however definitely superior to the Rhonda ones.

Like any information it runs the risk of being out of date the minute it gets printed and that's from last year. I believe that the Citizen's are now no longer being issued as the solar-powered Eco-drive movements don't like spending months in Norman the Storeman's dark cupboard. Can't speak for CWC.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Apprentice
    Just to say that I totally agree with everything Matt said.

Any ETA 955 (in the case of the old G10, the 955.102) is better that any Ronda movement in my opinion and experience. I imagine in Silverman's new offering it will be the Ronda 515. However, be it the Ronda 515 or 715li, I still wouldn't give it houseroom. In my experience they are in a different - much lower - class tahn the ETA movments. Their timekeeping is nowhere near that of the ETA; I have had dates that didn't turn properly and watches that just plain stopped (just like Matt's).

As for ETA: Excellent timekeeping and have never let me down.

Ronda's are cheaper: That's why they are chosen for so many contemporary watches. End of.

Very interesting thread.

May I ask a 2 Q's?

1.) What's the lugs width across the CWC range? 18mm on the G10 and variants and 20mm on the divers? Or 19mm like the old Smiths W10? Or . . . what?

2.) And the two date versions of the G10 (i.e. the Navigator and the GS2000) use Ronda movements whereas the non-date classic G10 has an ETA?

Is that right? If so, it seems a shame one can't have both: date and ETA, especially as the ETA movement has a date function already on it.

Thanks