closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FLIGHTMASTER-I know it's not Friday yet...but couldn't wait...couple of question too!

FLIGHTMASTER-I know it's not Friday yet...but couldn't wait...couple of question too!

Here is finally, after long hesitations, my birthyear watch. A nice example of an unmolested 911 Flightmaster on an Omega Mesh (I know it is a little bit of a misuse, as the Mesh is a Diver's watch thing, but I like it)

It has been serviced and keeps time pretty Ok for a 41 year old.

A couple of Questions (for the Flighty experts):

- Are these not supposed to have a sunburst finish on the case, or is the circular finish correct on this model?
    - What about the colour of the hands, orange, yellow, was that option back than.
    - Shouldn't the triangle in the inner Bezel be just white? I think it has been relumed at some point in time..

Nothing really bothers me and I am tempted to leave it as be. What do you Guys think?

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia

Very nice

That looks lovely

I've heard of the radial finish on some of the big Speedmaster MkIII's before but not on the flightmasters (little 'f'). Until now.

Your yellow hands were intended for commercial pilots and were visible under the infra-red cockpit lights. The orange hands were supposedly for your average/private pilot. ;0) Do your pushers have both the yellow and orange markings?

I think the triangle in your bezel has been re-done.

Great looking case. Plenty of metal around the edge of the crystal.
    The dial and hands look fantastic too.

Well done

Ian
    Last edited by Emeister; 30th October 2012 at 13:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeister View Post
    That looks lovely

I've heard of the radial finish on some of the big Speedmaster MkIII's before but not on the flightmasters (little 'f'). Until now.

Your yellow hands were intended for commercial pilots and were visible under the infra-red cockpit lights. The orange hands were supposedly for your average/private pilot. ;0) Do your pushers have both the yellow and orange markings?

I think the triangle in your bezel has been re-done.

Great looking case. Plenty of metal around the edge of the crystal.
    The dial and hands look fantastic too.

Well done

Ian
    Thanks, that's what I thought about the finish..might need a trip to Bienne..

The pushers are Ok, although some of the colour has gone. The orange is gone on the 2 o'clock and the blue is almost gone on the 10. The 8 o'clock and the 4 o 'clock are tiptop....

The case is in good shape for such a large lump of steel. No major Dink...;-)

Sitting on the dock of eBay, Queensland, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Thanks, that's what I thought about the finish..might need a trip to Bienne..
    No need to give money away. It doesn't need to go anywhere near Bienne.
    I haven't heard of radial finishes on the flightmaster but that certainly doesn't mean it's not original. The depth of metal around the crystal that I mentioned would suggest to me that it probably hasn't been touched.

Here's mine. With much less metal. Bashed, polished and bashed again? ;0)

Just realised your dial is much lighter than your subdials. Off to google images.

Were there different dials or did some fade more. Seems like lots of examples of really dark dials and also lots like yours with more of a contrast, but still very even.
    Maybe it's just the angle?
    Last edited by Emeister; 30th October 2012 at 13:52.

Interesting to read the comments on the case finish. Mine is original in terms of finish as far as I know (c. 910 from c. 1970), and has a 'brushed' finish on the main part of the case. Also, if you google flightmaster images there are lots out there with a brushed (ie. non shiny/polished) finish ...... not sure what the difference is between brushed and starburst mind you .....

Radial graining is correct on the Flightmaster, there are examples of both finishes in the 'Journey through Time' book. Generally, one tends to see more 145.013 910 calibre Flightmasters with the radial finish, but either finish is correct. Bienne will lap the case for you as part of the repair, but check that this is what you want first as the finish can look very new and could be viewed as a little aggresive for a vintage case.

Your one certainly looks very nice, the yellow arrow is not original but it does go nicely with the cadmiun hands!

Quote Originally Posted by MR T View Post
    Radial graining is correct on the Flightmaster, there are examples of both finishes in the 'Journey through Time' book. Generally, one tends to see more 145.013 910 calibre Flightmasters with the radial finish, but either finish is correct. Bienne will lap the case for you as part of the repair, but check that this is what you want first as the finish can look very new and could be viewed as a little aggresive for a vintage case.

Your one certainly looks very nice, the yellow arrow is not original but it does go nicely with the cadmiun hands!
    +1 on this, your circular brush finish is totally correct and much rarer than the sunburst/radial normally seen. Yours is like the Seamaster 1000m case finish. I really like this version with the ultra violet hand set. Get it under a light at the local night club and you will be blown away! Your watch looks to be in near perfect condition, a trip to Beine will certainly be detrimental to its value, they would probably refinish the case the wrong way and certainly strip out your dial for a modern service replacement. If you want it serviced send it to STS over here where you can talk to them and discuss your needs.
    I think you have the later 145.036 version with better plastic seal under the glass that increases water resistance to 120m over the originals 60m. You would need to look at the caseback to be sure. The earlier 145.026 had a rubber seal holding the crystal in that was not as effective.
    Please don't have the case refinished, it ruins these watches!

Thanks Guys, I think I will follow the advice and keep the case as is. The circular brushing is fine for me if it is original to the design and I agree that a new buffing, being it circular or sunburst pattern, would look too new for a vintage piece like this. I would need to renew everything, dial, hands, bezel....that's not the way I want to go right now. It has a nice patina and it should show!

The dial is as shown in the picture. The subdials being of a clearly different, darker, colour than the dial. Maybe the dial has faded and the subdials haven't, but I doubt that it would be so uniform....
    Last edited by pacchi; 30th October 2012 at 15:17.

Hi

Very very nice original condition....another example of less is more for the restoration case.

I haven't had a flightmaster yet....must put it on the list.

Enjoy -

Best - Neil