closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace - Who knew? And, more importantly, why didn't anyone tell me..?

Breitling Aerospace - Who knew? And, more importantly, why didn't anyone tell me..?

So the casual attire watch of a G-Shock flew the nest, because I don't really do "beaters" unless I'm at work, so it got sold on SC in the quest of another digital watch, but one that I felt I would wear more. Something that was still highly functional and accurate like the G, but perhaps with more wrist appeal.

So, my thought process of Digital, became Ana-Digi and I was really only left with two choices. X33 or Aerospace? Surprisingly, the X33 isn't that accurate, so it had to be the superquartz Aerospace Avantage 42mm:

Why did no one tell me they were this good? I don't think a photo can do these things justice. Highly functional, yet with the functions turned off, it can look, almost, elegant

I suppose you could call this the "transitional" Aerospace. In 2005 the older 40mm Aerospace was still for sale, yet this newer 42mm version was offered as the Aerospace Avantage. Temporarily labelled with "Chronometre Certifie" until late 2006/early 2007 when the older model was no longer available and Breitling updated the dial with "Chronometre Aerospace".

Playing with the single crown may take a while getting used to, but in the space of a few hours, it has become quite intuitive.

How light?! Very. I can't believe the weight of it, the titanium means you barely notice it. I keep forgetting I'm wearing it.

A bit of a change from the usual breitling caseback - I like the conversion chart look, I may even use it, one day

Of course, as one of tz's most prolific strap changers having the Seawolf means the 22mm Breitling straps I already have are interchangeable. The black suits it well, but not nearly as well as the bracelet. I bought this Aerospace in the view of making a few bob and selling the bracelet, but I can't do it... it looks and feels great.

Great lume, and the welcome addition of the backlight.

I've never been this excited about a quartz before, it's totally surpassed my expectations. Is this the ultimate "grab and go" watch? It certainly feels like a "do-it-all" and did I mention how light it was?

Highly recommended to all, why are so many Aerospace's hanging around SC? Get them bought..!

Master
    They're fantastic watches. I have two, one with the digital UTC module on the pro2 bracelet which adds even more functionality.

Absolutely brilliant watches that are highly underrated. I can't understand why the ones on SC have hung around for so long!!

Breitling Aerospace - Who knew? And, more importantly, why didn't anyone tell me..?

I should try an Ana/Digi at some point too. Either this or the Tag Chronotimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    I should try an Ana/Digi at some point too. Either this or the Tag Chronotimer.
    Good job somebody has an Airwolf to sell you (blatant sales pitch )

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Good job somebody has an Airwolf to sell you (blatant sales pitch )
    Disgraceful

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Surprisingly, the X33 isn't that accurate
    Mine (Gen 2) gains about a second a month, how accurate do you need?? I have the same Aerospace as you have as well and think it's brilliant. Before getting it I would have always sais the X-33 is the better watch (in my opinion) as I prefer having buttons rather than trying to do everything via twisting the crown at different speeds, etc, it's a better back lit watch, louder alarm, and a bit rarer. But having worn the Aerospace a lot recently i actually prefer it. I don't fiddle with the functions that much the crown thing bothers me, it's lighter, feels nicer on the wrist due to not having the raised case back the X-33 has for the alarm, and can be better adjusted for a near perfect fit.

Neither are going anywhere any time soon but the Aerospace is definitely going to see more wrist time

Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    Mine (Gen 2) gains about a second a month, how accurate do you need??
    I understand the Gen2 is better and those with the updated movement, but many Gen1's (which would have been my budget) are well known to be more inaccurate. Infact, there's one on SC right now with not so great timekeeping...

Journeyman
    So the casual attire watch of a G-Shock flew the nest, because I don't really do "beaters" unless I'm at work, so it got sold on SC in the quest of another digital watch, but one that I felt I would wear more. Something that was still highly functional and accurate like the G, but perhaps with more wrist appeal.

So, my thought process of Digital, became Ana-Digi and I was really only left with two choices. X33 or Aerospace? Surprisingly, the X33 isn't that accurate, so it had to be the superquartz Aerospace Avantage 42mm:

Why did no one tell me they were this good? I don't think a photo can do these things justice. Highly functional, yet with the functions turned off, it can look, almost, elegant

I suppose you could call this the "transitional" Aerospace. In 2005 the older 40mm Aerospace was still for sale, yet this newer 42mm version was offered as the Aerospace Avantage. Temporarily labelled with "Chronometre Certifie" until late 2006/early 2007 when the older model was no longer available and Breitling updated the dial with "Chronometre Aerospace".

Playing with the single crown may take a while getting used to, but in the space of a few hours, it has become quite intuitive.

How light?! Very. I can't believe the weight of it, the titanium means you barely notice it. I keep forgetting I'm wearing it.

A bit of a change from the usual breitling caseback - I like the conversion chart look, I may even use it, one day

Of course, as one of tz's most prolific strap changers having the Seawolf means the 22mm Breitling straps I already have are interchangeable. The black suits it well, but not nearly as well as the bracelet. I bought this Aerospace in the view of making a few bob and selling the bracelet, but I can't do it... it looks and feels great.

Great lume, and the welcome addition of the backlight.

I've never been this excited about a quartz before, it's totally surpassed my expectations. Is this the ultimate "grab and go" watch? It certainly feels like a "do-it-all" and did I mention how light it was?

Highly recommended to all, why are so many Aerospace's hanging around SC? Get them bought..!
    That does look very nice. It's one of the few breitlings that I like.

Great watch and it has been on my list for a very long time. They do come up in the sales forums quite often and people seem not to commit to keep them, long term. The Aerospace gets flipped often and I wonder why?.

Also their low resale value bother me as well, although this makes them a great buy second hand. If you buy one new, plan to stick with for a very long time otherwise the depreciation will eat you alive if you decide to flip it sooner.

Master
    I love the look of my Aerospace, but HATE the function (slow spin of the crown activates the light, faster spin changes the function)

It's damn near impossible the spin the crown correctly when on the wrist (or even off the wrist) and it usually takes 5 or 6 spins and several seconds to activate the backlight by which time the function has also changed by accidentally spinning the crown too fast.

The repetition minutes are pointless (activated by simply pushing the crown).

I wish Breitling would ditch the repetitij minutes and have the crown-push activate the back light, like all other ana-digis.

I love this watch, but it will be this that will see me flip the watch sooner rather than later.

Master
    By the way, my dial was replaced at service due to water damage (last owner had the battery replaced by an independent and the seal hadnt been replaced correctly, to my cost!).

Before, the dial said "chronometre certifie". Now it says "chronometre aerospace"... i specifically asked them to replace the dial with exactly the same one as before, but they didnt.

I presume they have used the later dial?

Re: Breitling Aerospace - Who knew?

What put me off is a post on here saying that Breitling don't have individual parts, for the Aerospace, and tend to replace the entire movement if anything needs fixing which can cost 850. I would have bought one last week but for that.

Love them.. That's why I have 2... The 40mm and the 42mm both the same but different... One on the pro 1 bracelet. Which is very cool with the raised centre link. The other on the pro2...

best of both worlds.. Excellent value ( well as far as Swiss watches go )

i keep trying to stop myself picking up a emergency or airwolf for a bit of analog digital bling..

I never even realized that there were 2 sizes. I have owned 3 in total (none at the moment) and have always been impressed by them. Perhaps I should give the 42mm a try :)

I, like many others have told people on here what superb watches they are, goes perfectly with a suit or shorts. Working at the airport I see more pilots wearing the Aerospace than any other watch and I really like the way the model has evolved now its 42mm and has a back light.
    It would be the icing on the cake if they could make the alarm as loud and effective as on the B1/Airwolf and increase the WR rating to 300m.

I might be talking bolleaux, and parts look available for more recent models...

As someone who has owned the 'transitional model' since 2006 I have to agree that they are superb. I wear mine most days and as I travel quite extensively on business the dual-time and alarm functions are very useful. I bought mine on the leather strap and looked at putting a Titanium Pro II bracelet on it recently but was quoted £790 for a new one by the local AD - not a chance!

I very much agree - I have the very version you show, and love it. It does everything except being mechanical. It's my mail watch whenever I go on vacation, and at the price a very good buy...

Great to see some appreciation for this Aerospace. It was the first watch I fell in love with a looooong time a go...

Last edited by Henrik Gelardi; 25th October 2012 at 19:23.

Time for a better lume shot.

Last edited by RossC; 28th October 2012 at 17:44.

Blog Entries
    I understand the Gen2 is better and those with the updated movement, but many Gen1's (which would have been my budget) are well known to be more inaccurate. Infact, there's one on SC right now with not so great timekeeping...
    I have a recently serviced Gen2 X-33 and I suspect the movement (which was replaced at service) is now thermo-compensated. I wore it for a couple of weeks and it's been in the watch box for a couple of weeks - 27days after I bought it (according to the MT function) it is still spot on with a well known reference site http://time.is I am impressed.

I have owned an Aerospace a couple of times - but in the end have kept both X-33 and B-1 as ani-digi versions - I peferred the non-back-light Aero personally - as I could never change a function without the back-light coming on - which is one of the big drainers on the battery (the sound generation being the other).

You have done some superb pictures of the Aero!

Perhaps if a yellow dialled one came up on SC I might be tempted!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

They're actually very photogenic watches too...

Good review - I've got that exact model and its a definite keeper! Fantastic little watches.

Nice pickup Ross, these have been tempting me for the past year, I think you might have just sent me over the edge :)

Please stop posting in this thread temporarily- I am pacing up and down the house waiting for the postman to come by, and hopefully drop mine off. The wait is killing me and you folks are just rubbing salt into the wound! ;)

Looked long and hard at these, now if they could only incorporate solar powered......................................A citizen won in the end, basically same functions, duratect Ti, slightly more busy dial but you get used to reading it in no time. Also living in Armenia it would be a pain to get battery changes done.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    They're actually very photogenic watches too...
    Just what, exactly, are you trying to say about my photos?

Quote Originally Posted by shamardal View Post
    Nice pickup Ross, these have been tempting me for the past year, I think you might have just sent me over the edge :)
    Go for it Jeff I'm not exaggerating when I say it has truly surprised me. I never really thought they looked that good in photos - I thought, as with most Ana-Digi's, the look was quite clumsy. But having it in hand, you realise the look and function is superb. Yes, the one crown functions takes getting used to, but the look and feel are instant.

The bracelet is really worth it too, is there not one in SC?

Anyway, with snow falling in October here in the Highlands, a quick snap required this afternoon:

Last edited by RossC; 26th October 2012 at 17:22.

Journeyman
    nice watch, just renewed my interest in hunting one down. got an oris divers that has sat too comfy on my wrist for the last year, time i had a swap.

There's a really good article with photos of the various generations of the Aerospace at http://forums.watchuseek.com/f39/breitling-aerospace-brief-history-aid-identification-dating-73.html

(I have two -a F56061 and an E75362 - as well as a B-1 and a Gen 1 X-33. The X-33 is easily as accurate as any of the Breitlings).

Master
    I did tell you, at least if you read a thread about it about a year ago.

Congrats! Everyone should have one.

Cheers Ross, I do like ana-digi's, this one is one of the best looking ones around, many look a little cluttered but this one seems to get the blend just right. I love the pic in the snow :) Also I just see the one on SC, god damn it, I want it! :D I need to get rid of about 3 before I can let another one in ;)