closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vacuum cleaner

New vacuum cleaner

Hoover to you.

Anyway, I don't want to cause undue excitement as a consequence of this thread topic, but I need to replace a ten year old Miele cylinder cleaner, and my cleaning lady says she doesn't want an upright. Can anyone advise on what's hot on the world of vacuums right now, which means - preferably - top notch quality plus hefty discount?

We have used a Hetty with much success over the past five years. Has the bonus of being pink and a UK-based manufacturer. Prices are reasonable too.

Miele and Sebo still make the best.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 24th October 2012 at 16:35.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    We have used a Hetty with much success over the past five years. Has the bonus of being pink and a UK-based manufacturer. Prices are reasonable too.
    I've had a Henry for 3 years and its still going strong. The cleaner at my dad's place of work has been using the same Henry for 15 years now.

Henry or Harry

Best of the best

Master
    Tony we had and still have a Miele which was great but we have just recently got the new Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner it is just superb it has a running time of 40 minutes which is more than enough to do a house, it is light and I really rate it, go onto John Lewis site and check out the reviews all good, it really is the only one to buy as a similar Dyson are just so badly built and I know that from experience.

New vacuum cleaner

I went with the Marketing hype and got a Dyson two yrs back. S#1t. It may suck but the head (the bit on the carpet) gets clogged every time it's used. And we don't have pets!
    Friends (who live on a small farm) swear by their Henry (and a million hotels around the world can't be wrong).
    I want to throw my Dyson back at Mr Dyson and buy a Henry

You could send the cleaning lady and the footman to homebase, they have a good range of henry's and vax's, Ive had both. Now have a vax. (and the valet could collect the nectar points)

I use Henry at work and am constantly amazed at what it picks up without getting blocked when I am breaking floors out.
    Tesco Direct have them on a deal every now and again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Tony we had and still have a Miele which was great but we have just recently got the new Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner it is just superb it has a running time of 40 minutes which is more than enough to do a house, it is light and I really rate it, go onto John Lewis site and check out the reviews all good, it really is the only one to buy as a similar Dyson are just so badly built and I know that from experience.
    The Gtech gets great reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gtech-AirRam.../dp/B0091FS0OS

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    I went with the Marketing hype and got a Dyson two yrs back. S#1t. It may suck but the head (the bit on the carpet) gets clogged every time it's used. And we don't have pets!
    Friends (who live on a small farm) swear by their Henry (and a million hotels around the world can't be wrong).
    I want to throw my Dyson back at Mr Dyson and buy a Henry
    I am another unhappy Dyson owner. Had 2, and I cannot remember how many repairs (at about £70 each).

Bought a cheap Tesco vacuum 3 years ago (£50 or so), expecting to throw it away after a few months, it is still going fine.

Thanks guys - that's Dyson out for starters! The Gtech looks interesting though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    You could send the cleaning lady and the footman to homebase, they have a good range of henry's and vax's, Ive had both. Now have a vax. (and the valet could collect the nectar points)
    Good thinking

New vacuum cleaner

And the Mrs think we just talk about watches online :-)
    I won't ask about Irons!

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I've had a Henry for the past 10 years, still works no problem. They're reliable and do the job, and are used by all the cleaners that I know. Try Costco, Tesco or online.

Had many Dysons...all rubbish.
    Got a Henry about 4 years ago...no problems at all.

Just to buck the trend, I've had two Dysons, both have been superb. The first ones ended it's days when I reversed my car over it, I replaced it with one of the first 'ball' models and it's still going strong. The suction is phenomenal, as good as (if not better) than the Henry I use for the heavy stuff.

The problems with Dysons are that people tend not to wash the filters out at regular intervals. This drastically reduces efficiency, and can cause the motors to overheat. Also they are prone to clogging the filters really quickly if used on builders debris - brick dust and the like. That's what I use the Henry for.

henry. its the seiko skx007 of the hoover world . check out the reviews at the hoover and household cleaning forum www.dirtsuckers.co.uk
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Whenever I have been tempted to buy anything but a Meile it has been a catastrophe. I have two Meile, one for upstairs one for down.

The worst I ever bought was one of those stupid Dysons . Didn't even have a bag! It was utter rubbish. IMHO

Craftsman
    If you're going for a Henry, look for a local cleaning trade supplier who stock Numatic and get the industrial version of the Henry.
    It's exactly the same basic bit of kit as the high street version, at the same price, but with a far higher spec motor.

PB

I think there's a Henry consensus building.

You can go pink:

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=176&r=4&sr=1

Or their slightly harder bigger brother:

http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=27&r=4&sr=1

Master
    I swear by Miele, bag hoovers, none better for the money in my opinion... Immense suction!

Craftsman

New vacuum cleaner

Henry are at Costco for a reasonable price £79 inc vat iirc. I can check next time I am in if you decide on one Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by racer66 View Post
    Henry are at Costco for a reasonable price £79 inc vat iirc. I can check next time I am in if you decide on one Tony.
    Cheers Alex, and thanks all for the suggestions/comments. As an aside, I note that Henry has a small wiener (i.e. only 1200W). Isn't this a bit underpowered compared to the other manufacturers specs?

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead View Post
    I swear by Miele, bag hoovers, none better for the money in my opinion... Immense suction!
    Do you also buy the Miele appliances?

I got married ant the end of Feb and someone bought us the Miele vacum on our wedding list , it has a 10 year warranty(so worth it) and is superb.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I replaced it with one of the first 'ball' models and it's still going strong. The suction is phenomenal.
    Just so you all know the dyson ball cleaner isn't what you might think, don't ask me how I know.

We have a Henry and if it needed replacing I would buy the same again without any hesitation.

I recently bought a Sebo cylinder and initial impressions are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
    Just so you all know the dyson ball cleaner isn't what you might think, don't ask me how I know.
    fnaar fnaar

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Cheers Alex, and thanks all for the suggestions/comments. As an aside, I note that Henry has a small wiener (i.e. only 1200W). Isn't this a bit underpowered compared to the other manufacturers specs?
    I suppose it depends on how that 1200W of suction is delivered. We have two pedigree house cats that kick up a lot of dust and fluff and Hetty has never let us down. Much better than the plasticky Dyson she replaced.

Another vote for Henry. As well as one for their George model with carpet cleaner. I've got both and they are still going strong.

I've tried Dysons and the like but still find the humble Henry the best.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    LOL this is nearly as good as my post about 'man-irons' a few months back

Had Miele, rubbish vacuums (great Washing machines) - broke within a couple of years.

Had Dyson, great suction but hated the dust getting everywhere every time I emptied the blooming thing.

Now got a Henry - best vacuum ever. Had it for 5 years and it just does the job, has a MASSIVE bag and is simple as anything (virtually nothing to go wrong).

Costco or go online and get the industrial Numatic version.

There's a reason that it's the most popular industrial vacuum!

Cheers,

My wife bought me Dyson Ball so I wouldn't mind hoovering so much. I've had no problems with it, great power and really manoeuvrable. I've used plenty of Henry's before but I just don't like the height of them, they do the job really well and will last you ages though.

Another vote for Henry here. Have had several Dysons, much prefer the Henrys - do a better job at a fraction of the cost. Never owned a Miele vacuum cleaner (although have their excellent washing machine).

Master
    Tony the Gtech air ram has only my vote as they are quite new so nobody else on here will have one but trust me when I say it is as light as a feather no bags and no tedious cord it is the future you should really consider it.

Andy

We use Sebo - excellent!

Rod

Another vote for Henry. Our cleaners at work used to get through Dysons like they were going out of fashion. Then they bought a couple of Henrys, and they've been going for years - I put my own money into one and I've had no issues with it. Not exactly expensive at £100 and worth every penny.

Cheers,

Plug

Journeyman
    Another vote for Henry, got ours when the double clubcard exchange was on.

Journeyman
    We have 2 Spaniels and 2 kids so lots of cleaning to be done. Our
    Miele is still running as strong as it was 6 years ago. Not cheap but in this case you get what you pay for.

Ross

Master
    Amazed at the votes for Henry, I've had two then changed

Not bad, but massively under powered for getting up hair, fluff etc, 1200 watts just isn't enough. My Miele is 2000w and the difference in the two is like night and day in terms of picking up.

Master
    +1 For the Roomba - but don't sack the cleaner, just get her to concentrate on cleaning, not vacuuming!
    (Actually, since having a Roomba, there is a lot less dust!)

Pet's love 'em too

At the risk of being a total jessie, I actually quite like hoovering. Which is good because the missus doesn't, and our cleaner comes once a week.

So... as a keen hooverist I actually use a Dyson. I have never had any problem with these and I think they are excellent. I also have a Kirby somewhere - uber expensive in their day, but they last for a century and are very well made.

I have never been that keen on Henry, but I know they have a following. I am strangely tempted by the G-tech thingy, as I like gadgets, me.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    At the risk of being a total jessie, I actually quite like hoovering. Which is good because the missus doesn't, and our cleaner comes once a week.

So... as a keen hooverist I actually use a Dyson. I have never had any problem with these and I think they are excellent. I also have a Kirby somewhere - uber expensive in their day, but they last for a century and are very well made.

I have never been that keen on Henry, but I know they have a following. I am strangely tempted by the G-tech thingy, as I like gadgets, me.
    Well, my offer of a Gtech was turned down without hesitation, and my orders are to go for a cylinder with bags. The Henry certainly does seem to be the people's choice - I'm still concerned about the power issue though.

New vacuum cleaner

We gave a ten year old Henry for seriously messy jobs like DIY clean up and a Miele cat and dog for normal use. The Miele is awesome! Bags and filters cost but it works well has an auto retract cable and a power brush turbo brush thing for carpet and another for solid floor.

My parents run an office cleaning business. All they supply to cleaners is Henry, never go wrong and are super for what ever you need to do.

Chris

Craftsman
    We use Nilfisk alto cleaners at work, brilliant cleaners and are wet and dry which is a bonus, they are the largest vacuum manufacturers in Europe and make vac for a lot of the other brands.

Another vote for Henry.

Apparently my wife loves his length!

Master
    Miele at home - Henry at work.

I reckon Miele are better for suction (definite) but Henry are very hard wearing.

Ask the cleaner what she prefers. Saves bother. Buy one she doesn't like and be prepared to duck, or search for a new one.