closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Slow Broadband

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Slow Broadband

I've known for a while I've got a poor data speed with Youtube and video stuttering or stopped longer than playing.
    I have been with the same provider since 2001 and decided tonight, enough is enough.
    I've heard from others that they make you jump through hoops before they will bump me up at the exchange at someone elses expense.
    I called and they got me to run BTs speed test and i got,, 0.55Meg out of an available 7.75Meg!!
    Now they are going to call back on my moby tomorrow, any ideas on how to get them to pull a finger out?
    I'm also out of any deal and paying on a monthly rate. Time to move on? or will i get the same with a new contract?
    Cheers.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    I've known for a while I've got a poor data speed with Youtube and video stuttering or stopped longer than playing.
    I have been with the same provider since 2001 and decided tonight, enough is enough.
    I've heard from others that they make you jump through hoops before they will bump me up at the exchange at someone elses expense.
    I called and they got me to run BTs speed test and i got,, 0.55Meg out of an available 7.75Meg!!
    Now they are going to call back on my moby tomorrow, any ideas on how to get them to pull a finger out?
    I'm also out of any deal and paying on a monthly rate. Time to move on? or will i get the same with a new contract?
    Cheers.
    It depends where the fault lies, if it is in BT's infrastructure, it will be the same speed no matter which provider you use. What will speed things up is if you have carried out all the diagnostics you can to rule out an issue on the premises causing the problem. It's worth rebooting the router/hub if that's not been done in along time, it may sync back up at higher speed.

i) They will probably ask you to plug the router/hub into the isolation test socket located behind the master socket (2 screws on the face plate of the socket need to be removed, behind it you will see a test phone socket).

ii) If you have analogue phone, you can plug the phone into the master socket and dial 17070, option 2. This is called a quiet line test. You will here an automated voice, you want to listen for any noise or crackling on the line. Noise can cause interference with the DSL and cause speed issues and rapid disconnects.

iii) They will ask if you performed the speed test using a wireless or wired connection, if wireless, repeat the speed test wired, it could be your wireless card/signal causing the issue.

iv) If you have a spare adsl filter, try that, it could be the filter is on its way out.

v) If you have a fax machine on the phone line also, remove that and test the speed again to see if the fax machine is causing slow speeds.

BT should have remotely tested the line using their remote diagnostics by now, they may see a fault straight away and you might not have to carry out any of the above.

As far as I am aware there is no SLA for ADSL, it's a best effort from BT. If you can rule out everything your side causing an issue, BT will have to send an engineer out to investigate.

HTH.
    Last edited by scooobydont; 24th October 2012 at 07:38. Reason: typos

IMHO they are all as bad as each other!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    It depends where the fault lies, if it is in BT's infrastructure, it will be the same speed no matter which provider you use.
    Unless you go onto a cable broadband provider.

I did, never looked back. Not only is it faster, it's much more reliable.
    Last edited by RobinMasters; 24th October 2012 at 19:51.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=RobinMasters;2480986]
    Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    It depends where the fault lies, if it is in BT's infrastructure, it will be the same speed no matter which provider you use.QUOTE]

Unless you go onto a cable broadband provider.

I did, never looked back. Not only is it faster, it's much more reliable.
    Very true, I was comparing ADSL only, I should have mentioned that.

Look for a provider with a LLU service. Talktalk does with my line but not all do, even in the same exchange. I'm close to my exchange and get 17-18Mbit downloads.

Where we live loads of people have had their speeds dramatically reduced over the last year with some providers throttling the bandwidth right back. Best provider around here is BT, consitent improved speeds.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, specially scooby. I'm waiting on a phone call to go through whatever.
    I'm with AOL and cable isn't in my area so will have to see what they say.
    I have had 4.5Meg but it was at 3 AM! :-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASK3L View Post
    Thanks for the replies, specially scooby. I'm waiting on a phone call to go through whatever.
    I'm with AOL and cable isn't in my area so will have to see what they say.
    I have had 4.5Meg but it was at 3 AM! :-)
    If you need to go via AOL, do the tests I have suggested. All AOL will do is ask you to carry them out before they fault it to BT.

Just a thought. We were experiencing what we reckoned were broadband problems - updated the ancient router and all was well. My point is that it could be the router, rather than the ISP. Worth considering...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Cheers again. Sq, router is a few years old but has only been in use 6 months and i seem to get 4'5Meg at 3 in the morning so guess it's OK
    Scoobs, Filter replaced then too, switched off the Router twice in the last week and done both wifi and wired.
    And the Twats didn't phone, Just emailed them to see if the will pull the finger out

Journeyman
    How did you get on?

Master
    The complaints will always go via your ADSL supplier not BT. Your supplier would have to engage BT if required. Try using http://www.speedtest.net/ to give a good idea of your speed. It's what most people use from what I have seen.

You could also check with BT's BB checker to see what they think you should get with one of their packages. If you can get BT Infinity then you potentially have a huge speed uplift available if you want.