closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Top 5 rarest/desirable speedmaster moons

Banned

Top 5 rarest/desirable speedmaster moons

I have a 1970 standard spec s/m moon and put a leather strap on it today. It's such a versatile watch.
    There are, however endless limited editions.
    So - can someone with more knowledge than me put a top 5 list together - of the most desirable/rarest editions ?
    I'm seriously tempted with the Soyuz in SC ;)

Craftsman
    Well..., since there is an unlimited ammount of the so-called 'limited edition' Speedmasters out there, I personally really prefer the good ol' original version.

the 1970s Gemini Apollo Soyez dial mission watch is near the top of my list. I remember seeing it for about $5,000 4 or 5 years ago and thinking really? Never seen another.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If I were to have the choice:

2998 with a lollipop hand
    A pre-pro with straight lugs and 321 movement
    A pre-moon with 321 movement
    Soyuz Meteorite dial
    and a LE with a different dial, maybe an Apollo 11 white / black or Gemini 4 blue /white

Not sure of the exact refs or whether or not they are the rarest but you don't see them as often as the regular Pro, although at a glance some are very similar.

Don't waste your time.
    Buy a 2998.

Colin.

Snoopy tops the list for me.

376.0822 Grail for me too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Hans

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd get the original.

Master
    Omega have made a mockery of the Speedy with the vast range of not very limited "limited editions", most of which are tacky.

For me, i like the standard speedy, and the pre-mood cal321 version and that's it.

pre pro cal 321 would be for me. But I don't really dig the speedy for myself, but I find it awesome looking on other people's wrists.

I have to agree with Hodinkee on this one...The 105.003

"There are Speedmasters and then there are Speedmasters. An automatic Speedmaster is pretty solid. A manually wound Speedmaster Professional is solid. A manually wound Speedmaster Professional with a 321 Caliber in it is really solid. A manually wound Speedmaster PRE-Professional with 321 caliber, straight lugs and no crown guards dating to 1965 is borderline epic. The 1965 Omega Speedmaster Reference 105.003 is dubbed the "Ed White" reference because it was indeed the watch he wore during his historic space walk, becoming the first American ever to do so. This reference was made for a short period of time before the 145.012 reference that was chosen by NASA to accompany White's colleagues to the moon.

Last edited by hhhh; 21st October 2012 at 10:09.

I like the Snoop too.

For me, the first and final Speed' versions while Omega was still in the SSIH group (albeit a final gasp as far as the 376.0822 is concerned), a straight lugged cal. 321 and a moon cased 1045.

The lollipop variant 2998 -

(courtesy vintageure)

Or a FAP version for more genuine rarity-

(courtesy carsandwwatches)

Then 376.0822 1045 - for me the final culmination of the 50 year Lemania/Omega partnership and the final natural evolution of the Speed':

Craftsman
    I love my 105 002 -62 speedmaster. Only made in 1962 and was a transitional watch in between the 2998 and 105 003, this example still has its dauphine hour minute hands with original "newer" style sub dial hands. The original 105 002 dial still has just "SWISS MADE" on the dial at 6 unlike the speedmaster watches that came after which had "T SWISS MADE T" dials.

Cheers Mick

Banned
    As an aside, I'm amazed just how accurate mine is (granted recently serviced by STS).
    More accurate than most of my auto's-I'm impressed !

Any of the "classic" Speedies, as I'm not overly fond of the variants, lovely as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastro View Post
    As an aside, I'm amazed just how accurate mine is (granted recently serviced by STS).
    More accurate than most of my auto's-I'm impressed !
    Yeah, me too. I can hardly believe how accurate is my - admittedly rather modern - five year old 3570.50. Having worn mechanicals all my life, it's an astonishingly accurate timekeeper. I need set it about once a week. Class.

"A manually wound Speedmaster PRE-Professional with 321 caliber, straight lugs and no crown guards dating to 1965 is borderline epic"

Not sure if this is the epic watch described but it is stated as a Pre Moon 321 Straight lugs with original inner and outer boxes. On the bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1408739218...84.m1438.l2649

I suspect that this could go for serious money.

Interesting bezel :) .....Does the sweep chrono hand start at 12 o'clock???

Quote Originally Posted by 9:59 View Post

Hans