closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moulton Riders

Moulton Riders

Just wondered whether there are any Moulton riders out there using their bike for their daily commute to work and how are their bikes holding up?

I’ve had my TSR coming up to 3 years now and I cover about 100 miles a week and ride 46 weeks out of the year so that equates to about 13,800miles thus far.

So far I’ve had to replace the following:

- Rear cassettes – 3 times
    - Chains – 3 times
    - Rear derailleur – once
    - Right shifter – once
    - Rear rim – twice
    - Countless numbers of tyres and inner tubes

The TSR has also been serviced three times, once a year basically.

Just wanted to see how others with Moultons are faring.

Banned
    That seems like an unusually high amount of maintenance to me (but said as a roadie comparing that to wear and tear on a road bike).

With that kind of mileage why are you riding a folding bike - is it because of an additional train commute daily?

Funnily enough, the version of Moulton that I have doesn’t fold (separate) and there are no train commute either.

Why did I buy a Moulton is a question I get asked a lot. The main thing for me was the comfort aspects of the bike, it has front and rear suspension which helps with the London roads. Besides riding to work, I have also ridden to Brighton and done the Dunwich Dynamo a couple of times on the bike and my arse felt fine after the many hours of pounding.

From what limited knowledge that I have of Moulton history, the bike has been used for touring and racing in the past so it’s good for long distance travel.

Talking of wear and tear, the cassette and the chains are the main culprits whereas the rear derailleur went into the spokes and the rim were damaged as a result of potholes.

I had a Moulton Mini when I was a kid in the 60s.

Banned
    If it world for you, great. The chain and cassette should be changed at same time and one a year on that mileage sounds normal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Seamaster View Post

and my arse felt fine after the many hours of pounding.

Sorry...... couldn't resist it......

Moulton across the Himalayas:

http://moultonbike.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    If it world for you, great. The chain and cassette should be changed at same time and one a year on that mileage sounds normal.
    It's a pretty awesome bike, best thing I've ridden, I started with a Griffin, chopper in my early years and didn't start to ride again until I was 37 with a Specialized Crossroad and then the Moulton. So I guess I don't know any better, it could be a carbon frame might even better for faster rides and climb Ditchling Beacon more efficiently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Seamaster View Post
    It's a pretty awesome bike, best thing I've ridden, I started with a Griffin, chopper in my early years and didn't start to ride again until I was 37 with a Specialized Crossroad and then the Moulton. So I guess I don't know any better, it could be a carbon frame might even better for faster rides and climb Ditchling Beacon more efficiently.
    why not try one and see?

I must confess to owning three Moultons; an APB, a Mk3 and a Mk 1 Stowaway. I did commute fairly regularly one summer on the APB but, to be honest, I'm something of a fairweather cyclist and could never get completely organised about the whole enterprise. They are a relatively complicated piece of engineering but the combination of a really solid spaceframe coupled with the suspension is very comfortable. The Mk 3 is my Berlin town bike and was restored by the previous owner to within an inch of factory spec. The Stowaway is in Dublin and, having a Brompton luggage block welded to the front of the frame, is used to ferry my father's dog to the park. The APB is about to go in for a service and I'm slightly dreading the bill.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I must confess to owning three Moultons; an APB, a Mk3 and a Mk 1 Stowaway. I did commute fairly regularly one summer on the APB but, to be honest, I'm something of a fairweather cyclist and could never get completely organised about the whole enterprise. They are a relatively complicated piece of engineering but the combination of a really solid spaceframe coupled with the suspension is very comfortable. The Mk 3 is my Berlin town bike and was restored by the previous owner to within an inch of factory spec. The Stowaway is in Dublin and, having a Brompton luggage block welded to the front of the frame, is used to ferry my father's dog to the park. The APB is about to go in for a service and I'm slightly dreading the bill.

Heavens. Sounds more stressful than owning watches.

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Moulton across the Himalayas:

http://moultonbike.blogspot.co.uk/
    Great link, was that you and is that beauty an APB?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Wow, three Moultons and I'm assuming you collect watches as well!

I can't imagine the service to your APB be that much, what's the worse case scenario, new rear cassette and chain? Out of interest, if the APB is in the UK, where are you taking it to service?
    Last edited by Mr Seamaster; 19th October 2012 at 17:30.

The APB is now in Berlin so will be going to the Faltrad Direktor; had it been still in London it would have gone to Velorution (however I haven't used them for servicing since their Italian mechanic, Andrea, left). Trying to find a decent bicycle mechanic in London is a nightmare.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Though I have never ridden a Moulton, a few years back a group of us had an audience with the good Dr in Bradford upon Avon. We got the full tour from Dr Moulton, who though frail still had a brain like a steak knife. Anyway to the point, during a Q&A in the hall of his home, we were offered tea and coffee, though next to this were a few small decanters (for that sneaky afternoon chaser no doubt) and a solitary pint glass and 500ml can of Stella Artois for the good Dr's soiltary vice.... it did raise a wry smile I tell you.

Seemingly you canot buy his autobiography direct anymore, but it is a worthwhile read:

http://www.motorbooks.co.uk/review.asp?bookid=98212

I've been riding a variety of Moultons for about 18 years, touring and day rides mainly. I'm on my second TSR30, having stepped away from Moultons for a year, but came back because I missed them. Everything has been bought second hand and my current tsr30 had a load of modifications done to it by the previous owner, most of which make sense and tackle some of the issues you've had.

The tsr has campag 10 speed kit on it; very nice but a tiny chain to be able to fit ten speeds in. And by the nature of the gearing, it's also a pretty small cog on the back to get some speed up- lots of chain wrap. Net result is more potential for wear and high replacement rates for well used bikes. Mine has 8 speed shimano on it, with a bigger section chain on it which should last better.

The Alex rims aren't the best ever, particularly with a big load on - ok, but could be better. Building a wheel with a sun rim can be a help. Mind, moulton wheels are so stiff anyway, a complete bend is a rare occurrence.

Tyres: continentals, the origional fit, are fast but a bit fragile IMHO. Other options, such as Schwalbe are available, may give more durability..

Derailer into spokes? Oh well... The shimano set up on mine looks like it will happen at some stage, as it's a long cage XT and really close to the ground in some gear combos. I'll see how that goes..

Generally, love them. Never lost money on them, indeed the AM7 tripled its value in 10 years. Always on the look out for another!