closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish and Chips

Fish and Chips

I had some tonight for the first time in ages and was surprised how reasonable the price was. £3.20 for a small cod + chips right smack bang in the middle of the country seemed good value to me, as my parents were telling me it is approx £6 for the same in their local chippy in Scarborough right next to the sea.

Does £3.20 compare well with the rest of the country I wonder?

Anyhow, they tasted great with a splash of Henderson's Relish and I now feel the need to sleep them off.

Fish and Chips

Down in the south east you pay £3.20 just for the fish, chips are an extra £1.50

Master
    Sounds very reasonable.

I live near 2 big North Sea fishing ports, and cod isn't even on the menu of my local chippy.

Haddock and chips is £5.10

Mini fish & chips is three quid here in Glossop, big fish and chips just over a fiver ........

Re: Fish and Chips

That sounds about right for up here, but the shop near also does more expensive types of fish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Down in the south east you pay £3.20 just for the fish, chips are an extra £1.50
    Agreed - just under a fiver in Portsmouth , not looking good value these days :(

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I had some tonight for the first time in ages and was surprised how reasonable the price was. £3.20 for a small cod + chips right smack bang in the middle of the country seemed good value to me, as my parents were telling me it is approx £6 for the same in their local chippy in Scarborough right next to the sea.

Does £3.20 compare well with the rest of the country I wonder?

Anyhow, they tasted great with a splash of Henderson's Relish and I now feel the need to sleep them off.
    Did you actually mean to say £3.20 for just the fish and then some more money for the chips? cos if so then that is about average I'd say.I don't think Iv'e paid £3.20 for fish n chips recently.

At my local chippy (in Essex), cod is £2.85 to £4.80 and chips £1.40 to £2.35 depending on size.

The large portions of chips are really that and will literally cover a plate. Normally get one large between 2 of us.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Did you actually mean to say £3.20 for just the fish and then some more money for the chips? cos if so then that is about average I'd say.I don't think Iv'e paid £3.20 for fish n chips recently.
    Nope. £3.20 for the fish and the chips. The small cod was £2 and the chips were £1.20. All from the Admiral in Crookes, for any Sheffield folk reading this. The small cod was not really my definition of small either.

I remember paying >£5 when I lived in Leeds last year, which was when I last bought some. I'm just surprised that they seem to be so cheap when the fish has to travel further in comparison with some coastal locations.

My dinner's in the oven and all I can smell is chips doused in vinegar! I might nip down to the coast one evening soon and have some fish and chips on the beach.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman

Unhappy

I remember paying >£5 when I lived in Leeds last year
    Unfortunately I can remember paying 4d for a bag of chips and the man lighting the gas lamps. Luxury.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember paying >£5 when I lived in Leeds last year
    Unfortunately I can remember paying 4d for a bag of chips and the man lighting the gas lamps. Luxury.

3.20 for cod and chips is a steal, particularly if it was a sufficient portion for you. Down 'ere in 'Astings, we pay between four and five pounds for a decent piece of cod and 1.50 to 2.00 for a large chips. We generally keep our portions down in the evening and so we get two bits of cod and two chips between four of us.

Standard cod and chips can cost well north of a fiver in the smoke.
    That's take away,it's very easy to spend a tenner eat in.

Blog Entries

Fish and Chips

£5.50 here in Glos. Though it is a nice chippy.
    But it was a bit of a shock moving from Sheffield.
    (where it was much cheaper)

z

£3.20 sounds good. Although right on t'south coast, I've just paid £11 for medium haddock and chips, jumbo sausage and chips and a children's fish fingers, chips, fruit drink and a balloon. Not bad at all I reckon. The food was good too and all cooked fresh while you wait.

Blog Entries
    £5.60 (£4.10 + £1.50) here in Balsall Common, portion sizes and quality reasonably good. There are times though, when good old fish and chips really hits the spot!

Fish and Chips

Where I live in South London it's £6 for the cod and £1.40 for the chips so £7.40 all in. Best fish and chips in South London though

Have not been to a chippy for ages.. cod, chips and mashy peas in my local are about 9 quid.. Delish with pint of Garter
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman

Smile

On the way back from the Hove beer festival this summer I was introduced to a Chinese Chippy on the way back to the station.

From memory it was about £2.80 for fish and chips. Maybe it was the excess of alcohol but they were superb!

Worth looking for.

Alan

Journeyman
    £5.50 round here but, the portions are huge, usually 2 pieces of fish. Been to the one in Auchterader that keeps winning awards, fish was award winning, chips got binned, lol.

£2 for a regular cod and £1 for a small chips here but the small chips is not small, it's enough for two generous portions. However, if you buy the jumbo cod and a small chips that costs £4.20 and is a good plate full for 2 people. There's more fish in the jumbo cod than in two regular cod.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I pay £5.30 for large fish and chips which I think is a bit too expensive but it is easily enough to feed two people. On the other hand, it's about £6.30 for your average Chinese dish with fried rice and £5.85 for a pretty good Lamb vindaloo with rice. I tend to favour the vindaloo option.

£8.35 in Mitch Tonks restaurant in Dartmouth last night (gulp) but with nice glass of wine, couple of oysters to start and home done mushy peas...

Not an everyday treat.

I could eat fish & chips every day. When I was small, I did : my Dad had a fish & chip shop. (So did all my aunts, uncles, grandmother...)

I would happily pay a Tenner for a portion of haddock & chips if I knew that the fish was going to be fresh, the batter properly made (no MSG etc) and everything expertly cooked in groundnut oil (Im a southerner). Compared to what people will pay for industrially made burgers, kebabs and pizzas, it would still be excellent value. Yet people expect fish & chips to be really cheap. Most strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    Yet people expect fish & chips to be really cheap. Most strange.
    I wasn't attempting to start a race to the bottom with this thread - I too was surprised at how cheap my local chippy was. Having lived in Yorkshire all my life I have always associated fish and chips as a strongly working class food, and by definition something that was low-cost and calorie dense. I wouldn't be prepared to pay a tenner for fish and chips straight out of the chippy, though I also balk at paying a tenner for a small pizza, given the extremely low cost of the ingredients that go into making one. Even at the average £5-6 that other seem to be paying, I'd consider that good value compared with most other takeaway food because of the cost of the piece of fish alone.

I go here:

www.olivers4fish.co.uk/

They have some offers, but normally works out at just over £5 depending on what you get...

Very tasty tho and worth every penny!

Master
    I live in London and never see prices this low. You guys are lucky.

Craftsman
    I live in the South East and for a cod+small chips, cop+large chips + 2 mushy peas it's just over £15. Which sounds a lot compared to your prices, but easily less than most other take-away foods.

£13.95 for cod, chips, mushy peas and tartare sauce at Fish Works, Richmond today. Although we got 50% off the food bill with the top table offer so pretty reasonable pricing I thought.

Just to add that it was a decent bit of fish. No small portions and quality was good.

Starter of scallops was good, too, if a little too buttery.

Nope. £3.20 for the fish and the chips. The small cod was £2 and the chips were £1.20. All from the Admiral in Crookes, for any Sheffield folk reading this. The small cod was not really my definition of small either.

I remember paying >£5 when I lived in Leeds last year, which was when I last bought some. I'm just surprised that they seem to be so cheap when the fish has to travel further in comparison with some coastal locations.
    Next time I am up Crookes I will give this a whirl.
    Sounds good value to me.
    If anyone is around Chapeltown try the Arundel chippy on Arundel Road around the Asda car park entrance-a bit more expensive but really delicious.

Blog Entries

Fish and Chips

The Bole hill chippy in Crookes used to be good too (when I lived there in the late 90's). Run by a rather eccentric chap - but they did a 'nice big fish' - his words :)

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The Bole hill chippy in Crookes used to be good too (when I lived there in the late 90's). Run by a rather eccentric chap - but they did a 'nice big fish' - his words :)

z
    I was around Crookes too in the late 90s (on Duncan Rd 1999-2001) and that was my favourite. I think the couple that had it were Italian, and his wife worked there too?

Unfortunately they're long gone now and the Admiral rules the roost IMO. The Bole Hill one went downhill when they went exotic and started selling kebabs after the new owners took over. Stick to one thing and do it well.

Blog Entries

Fish and Chips

I was around Crookes too in the late 90s (on Duncan Rd 1999-2001) and that was my favourite. I think the couple that had it were Italian, and his wife worked there too?

Unfortunately they're long gone now and the Admiral rules the roost IMO. The Bole Hill one went downhill when they went exotic and started selling kebabs after the new owners took over. Stick to one thing and do it well.
    That's the couple. Shame - he was a real character :)

z

Quote Originally Posted by chaplad View Post
    Next time I am up Crookes I will give this a whirl.
    Sounds good value to me.
    If anyone is around Chapeltown try the Arundel chippy on Arundel Road around the Asda car park entrance-a bit more expensive but really delicious.
    Is Dawson's chippy still up Burncross? (it used to have Georgian windows) and another chippy up Greenhead? My great uncle Granville used to own the chippy on Market Street, opposite where ASDA is now but I suppose you're too young to remember that: coal-fired frying range and everything cooked in dripping. They lived in an 18th century farmhouse where ASDA is now but the council compulsorily purchased him so ASDA could be built, it broke his heart. People are wiser these days, they would have got it listed status and stopped the demolition.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    That's the couple. Shame - he was a real character :)

z
    Yep. Sadly missed, as were Glyn and Em when they left The Ball in about 2007 after ten years loyal service. I fled to Leeds soon after in search of better chips and beer...

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Is Dawson's chippy still up Burncross? (it used to have Georgian windows) and another chippy up Greenhead? My great uncle Granville used to own the chippy on Market Street, opposite where ASDA is now but I suppose you're too young to remember that: coal-fired frying range and everything cooked in dripping. They lived in an 18th century farmhouse where ASDA is now but the council compulsorily purchased him so ASDA could be built, it broke his heart. People are wiser these days, they would have got it listed status and stopped the demolition.

Eddie
    I think Dawsons chippy became Dawsons photographers and then it was demolished and its now a shop selling blinds.I think I can vaguely remember the chippy.
    Cant remember the Greenhead one-cant really remember Chapeltown pre Asda,only really sketchy memories that I am not sure about at all.

Damn it! I'm off out to buy a fish supper.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn it! I'm off out to buy a fish supper.

£11 cod & chips for two at my Kent local chippy.

- - - Updated - - -

£11 cod & chips for two at my Kent local chippy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    £5.60 (£4.10 + £1.50) here in Balsall Common, portion sizes and quality reasonably good. There are times though, when good old fish and chips really hits the spot!
    I had fish & chips for lunch today from that very chippy, and it really did hit the spot :)

Two Medium Haddock 1 large chips circa £11 Danbury Essex Only once a fortnight though not good for the waistline!

It's about £6 here in Central Bedfordshire. The fish is appx £4.50, and the chips about £1.50. For a family of four, with two younger kids it usually comes out at twenty quid. Not cheap, but then few foods are these days.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Having had Fish and Chips last night I can report back that in the Heathrow area a regular cod is £3.80 with £1.40 for chips on top of that so around £5.20 all in. That said the fish was really good and there were far more chips than I could eat.

Were talking £5.50 in Birmingham (Atlantis in Sutton Coldfield) however it cost's me 99p (Big Johns Erdington) at 4am on route home in a taxi!!!!

However, having said that I probably would'nt eat Big John's when I sober!

Journeyman
    The chippy we tend to go to is right in the heart of Alderley Edge in Cheshire and so it's, almost by definition, pricier than the norm.

Cod (8oz) £4.05, Large Cod (16oz) £7.50, Haddock £4.25, Hake (Mon-Thurs) £4.25, Scampi (10 Pieces) £3.95, Homemade Fishcakes served with chilli jam £2.95

Chips: Regular £1.90, Large £2.95

The regular chips is pretty big and the large is enough to feed a family of four!

But the quality is fantastic. They've won Best Chip Shop in Cheshire (North-West England actually I think) for the last couple of years and the food is top-notch. Really crispy chips and nicely thin and crispy batter on the fish. I have to confess that I tend to go for Sausage, Chips and Curry though most times.

We have another two really good chippies in the area as well and they all have all kinds of specials and unusual options on the menu (black-pudding battered sausage, John Dory, fancy fishcakes, unusual pies and so on).

Don't eat chippy often but when we do it's a fantastic treat. And if they ever find out that vinegar is bad for you I'm doomed!

Master
    Fish will be much better value when they allow the fishermen to land it instead of throwing most of it back into the sea dead! Environmentalists? No! Just mental those rules.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Fish will be much better value when they allow the fishermen to land it instead of throwing most of it back into the sea dead! Environmentalists? No! Just mental those rules.
    Mike
    I totally agree ... considering Cod/Haddock are hunted and not farmed like most meat products I still think the nation's favourite is still good value for money.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike
    I totally agree ... considering Cod/Haddock are hunted and not farmed like most meat products I still think the nation's favourite is still good value for money.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    £2 for a regular cod and £1 for a small chips here but the small chips is not small, it's enough for two generous portions. However, if you buy the jumbo cod and a small chips that costs £4.20 and is a good plate full for 2 people. There's more fish in the jumbo cod than in two regular cod.

Eddie
    Sounds bloody good value for Sheffield.

Theres a fish and chip shop alongside the train station in Grimsby that I will go out of my way to visit if Im anywhere reasonably close (even in Hull). They dont usually have large haddock available, but two 'small' are the same price. It costs about £3 to over-face myself and each is larger than any large haddock Ive seen so far in Sheffield.

This has reminded me that I will be in Hull next week...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jestermedia View Post
    The chippy we tend to go to is right in the heart of Alderley Edge in Cheshire and so it's, almost by definition, pricier than the norm.

Cod (8oz) £4.05, Large Cod (16oz) £7.50, Haddock £4.25, Hake (Mon-Thurs) £4.25, Scampi (10 Pieces) £3.95, Homemade Fishcakes served with chilli jam £2.95

Chips: Regular £1.90, Large £2.95

The regular chips is pretty big and the large is enough to feed a family of four!

But the quality is fantastic. They've won Best Chip Shop in Cheshire (North-West England actually I think) for the last couple of years and the food is top-notch. Really crispy chips and nicely thin and crispy batter on the fish. I have to confess that I tend to go for Sausage, Chips and Curry though most times.

We have another two really good chippies in the area as well and they all have all kinds of specials and unusual options on the menu (black-pudding battered sausage, John Dory, fancy fishcakes, unusual pies and so on).

Don't eat chippy often but when we do it's a fantastic treat. And if they ever find out that vinegar is bad for you I'm doomed!

John Dory in a chippie, I've heard it all now. I would love a local place like that. Last ate it in Padstow, fresh off the boats and pan fried the flat we rented for a week. Much cheaper than Rick Stein's place.

Master
    hadn't had fish and chips for a few years until a couple of weeks back and didn't look at individual prices but ordered
    2 med cod and med chips
    1 half chicken and med chips
    a cheese and onion fryit
    and a tub of curry sauce
    and got 2p change from a £20 note nearly had a heart attack
    wont be having it again for some time again