closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Online Procrastination

Master

Online Procrastination

I use this forum most when I'm supposed to be working on the computer - I'm a natural procrastinator so I clearly have to check here before I could reasonably start anything. And once I start, my work often involves pressing a button and waiting for a few minutes while the machine thinks about it, as it's doing now. Better check again.

So I'm wondering, what are your favourite wastes of time online, apart from looking at watches? I'd have to add eBay in general, and fancy.com for design stuff, The Times app (the biggest waste of time of all, in time vs results), ffffound.com for random pictures, the website 'overheard in new york', online chess, The Onion, and various online shopping trips that take endless research to get the best price on the best version of something I probably don't need, of which a new watch is top of the list.

What distracts you online?

At work we,only have access to some motoring related sites(prestige main dealer)
    So pistonheads, for forums and next car price checking.
    When we had better access, it was eBay, without a doubt.

Journeyman
    I can get lost on youtube for days......

Craftsman
    Mainly forums, here and Pistoheads, as teh bandwidth where I work is so slow, anything that requires high speed is out of the question.

As mentioned previously....youtube.

Plus I am a member of quite a few forums.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'm the same as you, OP. The day starts and ends on here with regular visits during work. Another (non-watch related forum too). Other sites perfect for procrastination during the day are BBC website (news, sport) and music reviews on Amazon.

This site refers to itself as "time well wasted" and they are quite right. Thepoke.com check it out when not too busy. . .

I am a member of a few watch forums and invariably find myself scanning through them when I have completed a task and need to give my brain a rest. Other places I visit daily are dezeen, trendir and world architecture news to stay abreast of all things architectural.

Start the day with TZ, then over to various sales corners around the globe for a peruse back to pistonheads and a cup of tea. Lunchtime bbc sport / bbc news /TZ then after work same as start of work.

Thank God ebay, youtube and all gambling sites are blocked.

This site, My site, Ebay,Chronotrader,OTD, The chap,Audiforum,Tuonoworld, etc etc. And anything thats remotely funny but not rude

My work goes in fits and starts with intense periods of busyness followed by long fallows. Facebook, Youtube, fffound and Pinterest are blocked at work, so finding ways to waste time becomes work in itself.
    For more efficient procrastination I've set up Google Reader with several hundred favorite blogs and picture streams.
    If I'm feeling thinky there's blogs like Marginal Revolution, Stumbling & Mumbling, languagehat and more.
    If I just want to read, Diamond Geezer, Ben Goldacre, Spitalfields Life, nickelinthemachine, Moundsandcircles.
    For pictures Yimmys' Yayo, Eiknarf, Iain Claridge, Merde!, Tokyo Bleep.... I'm pleasantly shocked by what does get through the firewall

Craftsman
    Tend to use here, UK Climbing and Singletrack to provide a perfect trio of procrastination. However, we're now getting into the time of year when I can add Winterhighland and any site with live webcams of hills to peruse for impending snow.

I can get lost in Wikipedia for long periods of time. That and just looking a google maps - not really sure what the fascination is, but apparently I loved atlases as a kid.

Re: Online Procrastination

The random button on Wikipedia is wonderful! Amazing to think that before Wikipedia we had to use Encarta..

I don't really use any other fora - although I've always got TZ on in the background in reality I only dip in a few times a day to post here and there.

Being a member elsewhere would eat into my work time - one is enough.

I do use youtube and wikipedia but if I need to check anything I don't rely on them - I use Reuters, Bloomberg and a handful of broadsheet sites.

I find I don't need much else.

I like to have a read of The Prodigal Guide when work gets too tedious.

I don't use it at work, but reddit.com can waste hours and hours and hours....

Twitter distracts me. I use it for work mainly and do find it helpful. However, I have had to resort to not keeping the page open in my browser as it is a constant distraction. As I write for a living I have found that in order to get anything done I have to turn the wireless off on my computer for blocks of time. There are just soooooo many distractions online.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    You are all lying...admit it...it's boobs

Master
    I can get lost in the threads of old, demolished buildings at Skyscrapercity for hours.

Cars, women and gadgets - surfing anything else is a criminal waste of bandwidth!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    You are all lying...admit it...it's boobs
    At least one person tells the truth around here. The rest of you have been marked down as bloody big fibbers.