closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wife's 40th birthday present - A new watch?

Wife's 40th birthday present - A new watch?

I need to buy my wife a birthday present. Jewellery no good, bought plenty in the past and she never wears it.

I'm therefore thinking of a watch. She currently has a babyg, ladies citizen chrono and a vintage gold dress watch. I want it to be feminine and suitable for daily wear. I appreciate there is a nice datejust on the sales forum but think 26mm is a little too small. The 31mm datejust may be a better choice or even something up to 34mm. I own a 36mm explorer and think 36mm is a touch too large for her. A manual wind would just live in the drawer so prefer an auto. If I buy a distinctively man's watch she'll only say I bought it for myself so would not be appreciated. I've got about 4 months to find something.

I'm sure there are plenty of blokes who have been in a similar situation. Would welcome some inspiration and suggestions.

My wife would love a datejust 36mm but she has always craved for a Chanel J12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    My wife would love a datejust 36mm but she has always craved for a Chanel J12
    Agree with the notion on manual, ladies prefer quartz as it is 'wear it whenever'..... wifey longed for the J12 1628 and despite my trying point to an automatic (with more ''substance" ) , she got her way, and after 3 years still loves it ....!
    good luck !!

My wife decided she wanted a new watch for her birthday, despite have a gold manual wind and an automatic, she wanted a quartz, that was easy to read without being to big.
    After much research I purchased a Mondaine big date, and it is never of her wrist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whats the Budget?

Another vote for the J12

My wife has an ss/rose gold ladies datejust and loves it but has said she would want a j12 next. My sister also wants some, the full size in white looks great on a lady in my opinion.

Master
    Budget makes a difference.

If it helps, this is my history - IIRC for my other half's 40th - I got her a TT Omega ladies Constellation with MOP/diamond dial and diamond bezel - a dress watch 'for best' if ever there was. She was chuffed. However it only get's limited outings now as over the next few years I progressed through the following which canbe both 'best' and day to day:

Ladies Omega Aqua Terra (steel) with MOP and diamond dial
    A ladies 26mm DJ in steel on oyster/domed bezel
    Mid size 31 mm DJ in steel with WG bezel/jubilee

I reckon if she was only allowed to keep one it would be the mid size DJ - or the AT. Both that little bit bigger and more of a 'modern' size. The AT and DJs are auto, and having 'listened' to the convention that ladies don't do mechanical, any future watch that I get her would be an auto. She finds battery changes a faff (I've given her some many watches over the years that at any one time a couple of the quartz are in need of a change) and I think sort of 'gets' the mechanical thing.

My recommendation would be a mid-size DJ.......

Got my better half this for her 40th

30 mm

Craftsman
    Omega steel diamond Seamaster Aqua Terra 30mm

Apologies, budget preferably under 4k. The Omega 30mm really looks smart.

Craftsman
    My vote for Rolex Airking or Cartier Pasha

Craftsman
    I got my wife a Longines Dolce Vita for a recent birthday and she loves it. Classic looks but cheaper than eg a JLC Reverso or Cartier Tank. Would you get one of the latter for under 4k?

This is what I gave mine when she turned 40 earlier this year. Looks a lot better in the flesh I might add (the watch I mean).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gould View Post
    This is what I gave mine when she turned 40 earlier this year. Looks a lot better in the flesh I might add (the watch I mean).

I got my wife the same airking with a nice silver dial with pink markers
    Great watch she's Luvs it

We also looked at that one. Very nice indeed!

New Bremont Solo..38mm Looks very Good ..................If your a fan !!

Took my wife to the local AD this morning. Held my breath as they brought out a tray of ladies watches, some of which were well outside my budget. To my surprise and relief my wife, instead of going for a diamond encrusted 31mm decided on a 34mm perpetual date with white baton dial and fluted bezel. Watch will now go away until her birthday.

Thanks to all those that contributed to the thread.

Only downside to the experience was that my local Rolex AD, which had been a Rolex dealer as long as I remember is being dropped by Rolex. The Rolex rep arrived whilst I was there to ensure the signs, displays and anything with the word Rolex embossed on it was being packaged up for return to Rolex.

It is terrible to see the way these independents are now being treated by Rolex. Rolex are moving from aspirational to unobtainable.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Took my wife to the local AD this morning. Held my breath as they brought out a tray of ladies watches, some of which were well outside my budget. To my surprise and relief my wife, instead of going for a diamond encrusted 31mm decided on a 34mm perpetual date with white baton dial and fluted bezel. Watch will now go away until her birthday.

Only downside to the experience was that my local Rolex AD, which had been a Rolex dealer as long as I remember is being dropped by Rolex. The Rolex rep arrived whilst I was there to ensure the signs, displays and anything with the word Rolex embossed on it was being packaged up for return to Rolex.

It is terrible to see the way these independents are now being treated by Rolex. Rolex are moving from aspirational to unobtainable.
    were they offering BIG discounts then? Only kidding, my AD has just had a boutique (nice rolex sign and display) built and said it cost him £50K!!!

Re: Wife's 40th birthday present - A new watch?

I actually really like the Air King, surprisingly refined and tasteful compared to modern Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post

pics please

Wife picked this one -

Taken in poor light and picture doesnt do it justice. Collected it at lunch time . This was in the window -

Given the price I couldn't refuse. Now we have his'n' hers which will not impress the wife

Personally I am eyeing up an Omega Aqua Tera with the blue face as a present for my partner:

She doesn't need/appreciate an automatic movement so a quartz would do her just fine.

its wonderful doug86,this omege tera Watch is quite good ,and may available in many colors.I was also looking forward to it for last few days.Ithink also give athis watch to my wife on her birthday after two days.so thank you doug86