closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: F1. The Korean Grand Prix

F1. The Korean Grand Prix

A beautiful circuit in a lovely setting, utilising the natural contours of the surrounding countryside, in a country with a rich heritage of Grand Prix racing.

Everything that Korea isn't.

Here, for your viewing pleasure and delectation, we have another uninspired Tilkedrome, built largely on a combination of reclaimed swamp land and scrub, alongside nothing more glamourous than shipyards and docks, in a country which regards a spaniel as a delicacy. Nice.

I recorded FP1, which was notable only for the amount of dust on the circuit - unusual in a country notable for biblical rain storms - and the resultant off-track excursions. Most of which featured Sergio Perez, who seems to have become rather over-excited at the prospect of a McLaren drive for next year.

The driver-go-round didn't resolve anything in the week since Suzuka, and the only announcement of any note was the appointment of Monisha Kaltenbourn as Sauber team principal, the first woman to hold such a position. Peter Sauber turns 70 next year, and wanted to step down from front-line involvement, and Monisha appears very personable and capable.

If anything interesting happens in FP2, which I recorded and am watching now, I'll let you know. I'll miss out on FP3 and qualifying tomorrow, as I have the offspring with me. I'm not expecting any big surprises, unless it rains.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Sadly there's no TV here at the moment so I'm restircted to the internet. If I rememeber I'll try and watch it.

Korea. As Ian pointed out; not a race to get too excited about.

Webber on pole and Vettel in second; that's not what the script said. My money, however, is on the traditional poor start from Webber, and Vettel disappearing into the distance. Webber will baulk Hamilton, and Alonso will get past him. So my predicted order into the first corner is Vettel, Alonso, Webber, Hamilton. Which means almost anything else is going to happen. :-)

Alonso will be happy that he's well clear of Grosjean, though Massa will have to watch out.

Poor old Button didn't make Q3 because he slowed down for a yellow flag on his fast lap in Q2. I know it's easy to think these things afterwards, but what would have happened if he'd ignored the yellow flag? A five place grid penalty?

It's going to be epic.

Hamilton is on a "nothing to loose" charge from left field, Alonso is in the struggle of his life to maintain his lead in the WDC, Massa on the up and Webber wanting to take "finger-boy" and show him some Aussie grit. Now set Grosjean among those pigeons, and stand back with your popcorn. Add a much longer DRS zone than last year and a Ferrari who's race pace is clearly much better than it's quali pace and we have a race on our hands. Oh, and Button who will carve his way forward.

I can't wait!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think to improve the spectator sport side of things, they should start the 1998 model Schumacher and the 2012 model groesjan in say, 6th and 10th every race to make it mental.

Would be like bumpercars!

Mmmmm. Certainly not epic. Was hoping for better race pace from Alonso. Oh well :(

Master
    ....and finally proof that McLaren have put Hamilton out to grass!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post

Mercedes must have offered him some serious wedge as he won't win a thing in that seat next year at current standards.

Some decent scraps throughout the field, but not much action at the sharp end. As soon as Vettel got past Webber going into the first corner it was like deja vue all over again. Quite why Ferrari didn't release Massa to have a go at the Red Bulls with 16 laps to go I don't know, as he may have been able to back Webber into Alonso and then let Alonso past. Ferrari's over-cautious strategy decisions cost Alonso the 2010 Championship (and Chris Dyer his job) and with such a close fight between Vettel and Alonso for the driver's title it seems that it should have been worth a punt.

I've not heard the Red Bull pit wall sound as nervous as they did this weekend since Spa a couple of years ago, and had the race lasted another couple of laps (or the second stops come a couple of laps earlier) they may have had to pit both of them.

My driver of the day? A close decision between Felipe Massa and Jean-Eric Vergne, neither of whom did their employment prospects for next year any harm at all.

India next. Another inspiring circuit in a country with a rich motor racing heritage.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Will the Korean GP be around after the next couple of years or so? I haven't looked up any figures but it didn't look particularly well attended and it looks truly crap on TV, there's no flair in the design of the circuit or pitlane buildings and no backdrop either, even the astro turf wanted to get out of there. It appears that the track is rarely used for the rest of the year, it's got to be a bit of a white elephant, shirley?

As for the race, well that was massively disappointing for Button and Hamilton, both extremely unlucky and I was really looking forward to see what JB could do. Vettel must be odds-on favourite by some margin for the WDC, and fair play to him and the team for getting into that position. Some great battles through the race, and Massa seems to be coming on song, finally!

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Will the Korean GP be around after the next couple of years or so? I haven't looked up any figures but it didn't look particularly well attended and it looks truly crap on TV, there's no flair in the design of the circuit or pitlane buildings and no backdrop either, even the astro turf wanted to get out of there. It appears that the track is rarely used for the rest of the year, it's got to be a bit of a white elephant, shirley?
    They had to renegotiate the contract once already with FOM and the rumours are they're trying again because the fees are too high and like China, attendance is low. There's reasons for F1 staying for now (trackside advertising revenues are good) so I think the track will get a reprieve, but long term I have a feeling the "go East" philosophy of the last 13 years or so is beginning to come to an end.

The race today wasn't a classic and I'm getting the feeling the teams are now fully on top of the Pirelli tyres and it's starting to become reminiscent of the Bridgestone era.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post

Its in his Carribean roots. No West Indian needs to be put out to grass, they will smoke whatever they can get!

Lewis has clearly tried the Columbian Red and the Vietnamese black, now he wanted to take home some 'Korean Green'. ;-)

Bit of a demonstration run by Vettel really. My Sky+ 6x fast forward function got a healthy work out for that one.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

One reason for having to put up with rubbish circuits in third world countries was the EU's ban on advertising fags. Bernie sought to side-step that particular issue by running Grands Prix in countries whose rulers were happy to continue to encourage their citizens to die of lung cancer in exchange for the privilege of hosting a race.

In the last twelve months the circuit promoters have banded together and henceforth will negotiate hosting fees and other matters financial as a group. Which is probably the last thing that Bernie wanted. But something which is starting to add to the groundswell of opinion against the new engine rules is the fact that neither Bernie nor the FOPA (Formula One Promoters Association) want them, because they will detract from "the show". Add to that the fact that the teams, especially those who have to buy their engines (as in everybody except Ferrari and Mercedes from next season) are very much against the 2014 engines, and it's possible that the FIA may need to think again. And which may be bad news for any driver who has recently jumped ship to Mercedes on the promise that "we're going to throw everything into the 2014 season".

On the matter of driver musical seats, this weekend's rumour and proof that a week is indeed a long time in Formula 1 is that, despite standing on the podium at his home race last weekend, Kamui Kobayashi might be on the move from Sauber in favour of Esteban Gutierrez with Nico Hulkenberg moving in to replace the McLaren-bound Sergio Perez. Which would leave a vacancy at Force India for the highly rated Jules Bianchi. There is also more than a rumour that Vitaly Petrov's Russian backers have had enough, and (let's be honest) he's not going to be able to continue in Formula 1 on talent alone.

Regards

Ian

Snorean Grand Prix.

Master
    I don't see why the retention of the V8s should impact on Mercedes in 2014, as their current engine is as good as either the Ferrari or Renault engines and I don't see that changing if current engines are retained. However I really hope that they don't ditch the proposed engine changes.

I like the idea of 1600 cc turbo engines, although would rather see the original proposed 4 cylinder layout rather than the currently agreed V6 format. Not only are small capacity, high output turbos more pertinent to today's motoring, and let's not forget that F1 innovations tend to track into road cars with huge benefits for the normal motorist ( disc brakes, aerodynamics, etc.) but I recall the turbo cars of the 80's with much affection.

They were a great spectacle and from my hazy memory I recall that they sounded quite good too!
    Last edited by JeremyO; 14th October 2012 at 16:46.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Mercedes must have offered him some serious wedge as he won't win a thing in that seat next year at current standards.
    Big time, I read a while ago mclaren were offering 5 years at over 90m!

There's a conflict of interest with regard to the 2014 engines - Bernie and the circuit promoters feel that they will detract from the "experience" of Grand Prix racing. Bernie himself visited Maranello a few weeks ago and heard the Ferrari engine on the dyno. He is reported as having said that it sounded "awful".

Don't confuse the proposed engines with the "no limits" 1500cc turbos of the 1980's, as the 2014 regulations will stipulate far more restrictive specifications, and the current rule of eight engines per driver per season will also restrict output in the interest of reliability.

The FIA introduced the new engine as a means of making Grand Prix racing appear more eco-friendly. The engines are touted as being 35% more fuel-efficient, and will be coupled with an enhanced KERS with twice the output of the current system. But against opposition from Ecclestone (on behalf of FOM), the teams, who are objecting to the new engines on cost grounds (the figures suggest that they will cost three times as much as the current 2.4 litre V8's) and FOPA, the FIA are believed to be reconsidering.

Mercedes, as one of only three engine suppliers readying engines for 2014, are believed to be putting more resources behind their engine, and making a concerted effort for 2014, which appears to have been a significant influence in Lewis Hamilton's decision to sign on the dotted line. If the introduction of the turbo engines is postponed (or, as is being rumoured, scrapped altogether), then his decision to move to the team with the second worst reliability record in 2012, and one which has sunk to the midfield appears to be all-advised.

Regards

Ian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Big time, I read a while ago mclaren were offering 5 years at over 90m!
    You don't say! And there was me starting to feel sorry for him earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Bit of a demonstration run by Vettel really. My Sky+ 6x fast forward function got a healthy work out for that one.
    Sadly have to agree with that.....

Master
    Thanks for the clarification Ian but I still think that small capacity, high output engines are the future for road cars and can see their development only being enhanced if also used in F1.

As for what Bernie thinks, I care not a jot. He has done wonders for F1 in the past but he should not own it. I think it's high time he stepped aside and the sport run by a consortium of manufacturers/race teams. Additionally I firmly believe that Ferrari should not enjoy the preferential treatment that is rumoured. I would not be devastated to see Ferrari leave F1 if necessary, there are many other teams out there.

I watched the rerun this afternoon...glad I didn't get up at 6am to watch it live ( or go there!!)
    Not a great spectacle, and the stands looked almost empty.
    Is it just me, or does Lewis Hamilton's accent get just a little less Hertfordshire, and a little more American every time he's interviewed?

F1. The Korean Grand Prix

And when is Jessen going to catch a break! I don't think I can recall seasons where the driving by the 'lesser teams' has been as bad as it has the last couple of years!

Mind numbingly boring

Quote Originally Posted by TikTokTrev View Post
    I watched the rerun this afternoon...glad I didn't get up at 6am to watch it live ( or go there!!)
    Not a great spectacle, and the stands looked almost empty.
    Is it just me, or does Lewis Hamilton's accent get just a little less Hertfordshire, and a little more American every time he's interviewed?
    Yes! I'm glad it's not just me who's noticed that.. The guys a arse....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Yes! I'm glad it's not just me who's noticed that.. The guys a arse....
    Not a Hamilton fan myself ( though he is a real talent ) . But fair play he does have an American girlfriend , and spends some time there . The same thing has happend to Sir Paul , and Andy Murray and Jenson seems to speak differently of late.

I think young people are more likely to "break into American" far more than an older more established generation. With MTV, youtube, and all the rest they are bombarded with crap all day, most of which comes wrapped in an American accent. I have found Jenson's voice to be quite stable or perhaps I haven't been listening well enough.

Awesome!

Ferrari have today confirmed that Felipe Massa has been retained for 2013, alongside Fernando Alonso.

Journeyman
    Quite possibly the least interesting race it has been my misfortune to watch in almost 40 years (the Indianapolis farce excluded of course). The only potential interest (Button on different and new tyres) was taken away within 30 seconds of the start and the rest was processional. As for sticking astroturf down with weasel spit; well....