closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPad Mini - not long now...

iPad Mini - not long now...

Judging by the more concrete rumours looks like this is only weeks away now. http://www.imore.com/ipad-mini

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ctober-17.html

I think pricing is going to be everything with this but seeing as it is being touted as a Kindle Fire/Nexus 7 rival then it needs to be keenly priced, hard to see how it fits in as the new iPod Touch is £250.

Anyway, I for one am really looking forward to it - as not much of a phone user the iPod Touch is Apple's best product for me and working from home I carry mine everywhere in the house using it on and off all day for work/pleasure, email, podcasts, surfing, banking, shopping, films, music etc - the regular iPad is just a bit too big so hoping the Mini will fill the size gap to give a bit more eye relief and a bigger picture.
    Last edited by Max...; 4th October 2012 at 09:32.

Does anyone recall the pre-IT age when we pressed button 'B' in P.O. telephone boxes and P.O. telegram boys rode BSA Bantams?

Life was a lot simpler then. And a new Rolex Submariner cost approx. £300. (1976 ish)

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Sundial's so old he can remember when the Dead Sea was just sick.

Judging by the amount of iPhone 4's i see for sale, it looks like there may be a lot more iPads for sale from people who 'REALLY NEED' something that is bigger than an iPhone and smaller than an iPad. has anyone got contact details for the leader of an empire who is light in the wardrobe department? I want to sell him an 'iSh*tyounot'.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Sundial's so old he can remember when the Dead Sea was just sick.
    i am old enough to remember WW2 ration books which were still in use in 1951 ... and when there were electric trams in Central London.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Does anyone recall the pre-IT age when we pressed button 'B' in P.O. telephone boxes and P.O. telegram boys rode BSA Bantams?

Life was a lot simpler then. And a new Rolex Submariner cost approx. £300. (1976 ish)

dunk
    Blimey, you're going back a bit. Average monthly wage in '76 was £300, in 2012 it's around £2000. Makes the Sub a bit overpriced and inflated these days...

Judging by the lack on interest in this topic I think I might be the only one on here who has been waiting for an iPad Mini but if anyone is interested it looks like the announcment is finally coming in 7 days:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/16/...3-media-event/

Probably a good idea as a device but how many apple things do I need? Phome, touch, iPad, mac iPod

Is this filling a niche or just trying to squeeze more Monet out of the consumer?

I'll be interested in seeing it primarily as an alternate to the 'Kindle' book-readers, but dependant on other facilities to determine it's value v cost.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'll be interested in seeing it primarily as an alternate to the 'Kindle' book-readers, but dependant on other facilities to determine it's value v cost.

R
    It's Apple. Of course the cost will be more than the value because of the premium for the brand and early adopters.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Probably a good idea as a device but how many apple things do I need? Phome, touch, iPad, mac iPod

Is this filling a niche or just trying to squeeze more Monet out of the consumer?
    No I don't think so. I've avoided buying the iPad on the basis that it's too big to be a handheld device but doesn't have the connectivity and storage to be a serious enough productivity tool to allow me to leave my laptop behind. I had an iPod touch and used it as a mini iPad and that made a lot of sense - you could take it anywhere and use it and it would fit in a pocket. But the screen was too small for comfortable browsing. The mini-iPad should hopefully fill this gap and I'll probably be a customer.

Master
    Lots of competent competitors now, Apple has lost some of it's infallible image too. Lot's of fanboys will rush out and buy regardless but will they be getting the best product available. Apple will have to be on top of it's game.

For me it'll be how many hurdles Apple make me go through to get it to do what I need & want it to do. Yes, it might have a gazillion Apps but that novelty is wearing thin.

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    Lots of competent competitors now, Apple has lost some of it's infallible image too. Lot's of fanboys will rush out and buy regardless but will they be getting the best product available. Apple will have to be on top of it's game.

For me it'll be how many hurdles Apple make me go through to get it to do what I need & want it to do. Yes, it might have a gazillion Apps but that novelty is wearing thin.
    I have used Apple products for over 20 years and they continue to offer plug and play simplicity, unlike the truly appalling Windows 7 and Blackberry combination I am required to use professionally.

I'm prepared to pay a premium on the basis that Apple stuff normally just works. I don't think its perfect, I don't like some of it and I think the trend for IOS styling in OSX is a big mistake. But given all of this the alternative is far, far worse. Weirdly enough when you've spent all day banging your head against Windows and PCs trying to make them work it turns out that Apple is probably cheaper in the long run too, as at least one can be productive.

I think there is a definite (size-wise) need for a device between the iPod Touch/iPhone and regular iPad. I am welded to my iPod Touch 4th gen daily as a take anywhere in the house mini-computer for email, browsing, music, banking, eBay whatever and in a big way as a storage device for films - not for viewing but I connect it to the big screen for that.

However, a bigger screen for browsing and more importantly standalone viewing is often needed. The regular iPad I find too bulky so am hoping the mini will be just right. Will depend on the screen/spec - there is endless chat on it not having the Retina screen and the entry level being a pathetic 8GB to reach the price point Apple need but we should all know in a week or so.

BTW if anyone thinks we are anal on here about watches then the topics posted on the Mac forum are near unbelievable in the 'who-gives-a-s***' stakes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    I think there is a definite (size-wise) need for a device between the iPod Touch/iPhone and regular iPad. I am welded to my iPod Touch 4th gen daily as a take anywhere in the house mini-computer for email, browsing, music, banking, eBay whatever and in a big way as a storage device for films - not for viewing but I connect it to the big screen for that.

However, a bigger screen for browsing and more importantly standalone viewing is often needed. The regular iPad I find too bulky so am hoping the mini will be just right. Will depend on the screen/spec - there is endless chat on it not having the Retina screen and the entry level being a pathetic 8GB to reach the price point Apple need but we should all know in a week or so.

BTW if anyone thinks we are anal on here about watches then the topics posted on the Mac forum are near unbelievable in the 'who-gives-a-s***' stakes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137
    I can't believe the cost of memory is an issue! I've just bought a 64gig USB pen drive for £14...
    Cheers..
    Jase

why do apple keep on with 8gb & 16gb models when app's are getting bigger and bigger surely 32gb should be standard on touch's iphones and ipads?

Master
    I have a stack of amazon vouchers and an itchy trigger finger , if it is acceptable price wise I'm in :)

I want one! Full size version doesn't fit any of my pockets
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Apart from he size factor i think one of the main things is its weight!

Its got to be light in order to use as a e-reader IMO - I hate reading on the iPad and always choose the kindle primarily based on the fact that the kindle is way lighter!

Re: iPad Mini - not long now...

Not sure it will work as an ereader unless they've found a way to make it work in strong sunlight. I use the kindle app on my phone and ipad to good effect but they aren't replacements for the kindle itself imho.

On the apple "it just works" comments.... I think they are becoming outdated. My fiancée went from iphone to android and had no issues at all.... Android just worked too!

I fear ios is becoming stifled in the same was the nokia os did..... So many people think it just works so they don't change it...... In the meantime the competitors catch up and start to overtake.

I'm no apple hater - i use my ipad3 every day at work and at home (I don't use paper at all now) but it wouldn't take much to see me dumping ios and moving wholesale to android.

Keyboards and data entry in general on Android is far far superior to ios now and the gap is growing every month. Apple still insist on you using their keyboard, every link opens automatically in their browser etc etc. I fear it's a shortsighted strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by ADRIAN554 View Post
    why do apple keep on with 8gb & 16gb models when app's are getting bigger and bigger surely 32gb should be standard on touch's iphones and ipads?
    32GB is the smallest capacity on the new iPod Touches.

I don't see the point of smaller screen. The current size is just perfect for browsing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    32GB is the smallest capacity on the new iPod Touches.
    lets hope they fpllow suit with the new crop of iphones next year then

Master
    Smaller size will be perfect to me a lot o travelling etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Smaller size will be perfect to me a lot o travelling etc
    The rumoured size looks perfect for exactly this use :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    Not sure it will work as an ereader unless they've found a way to make it work in strong sunlight. I use the kindle app on my phone and ipad to good effect but they aren't replacements for the kindle itself imho.

On the apple "it just works" comments.... I think they are becoming outdated. My fiancée went from iphone to android and had no issues at all.... Android just worked too!

I fear ios is becoming stifled in the same was the nokia os did..... So many people think it just works so they don't change it...... In the meantime the competitors catch up and start to overtake.

I'm no apple hater - i use my ipad3 every day at work and at home (I don't use paper at all now) but it wouldn't take much to see me dumping ios and moving wholesale to android.

Keyboards and data entry in general on Android is far far superior to ios now and the gap is growing every month. Apple still insist on you using their keyboard, every link opens automatically in their browser etc etc. I fear it's a shortsighted strategy.
    I tend to agree with this, but with a caveat. I have an (old) iPhone and the latest iPad, and the os is starting to look distinctly old fashioned compared to android. This is confirmed by many of my friends who have recently made the transition to galaxy S3s. Android also has far more inherent flexibility and is far more customisable.

However, the caveat is, whenever I personally use an android phone I'm always glad to go back to the iPhone/iPad! Maybe it's familiarity, maybe it's that slight edge in terms polish and responsiveness, maybe it's slick advertising that's brainwashed me! The bottom line is that I'm not ready to change yet.

But I think the Nokia analogy is a good one because if apple rest on their laurels, they could find themselves getting terminally left behind, and customers like me who aren't fanboys, but currently prefer iOS might make the swap to android.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRIAN554 View Post
    Apps are still relatively small .. you can get 40 or 50 into 1GB of space, which is more than most people will use. Music and video content are the main reason people need more space. I think you have a point with respect to iPads and the Touch models, but a 32GB phone would be overkill for a lot of people who won't use it for that sort of content.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    Lots of competent competitors now, Apple has lost some of it's infallible image too. Lot's of fanboys will rush out and buy regardless but will they be getting the best product available
    That has never been the case so far, so Apple would have to raise their (technology) game substantially. But they are a marketing firm, not a tech firm. That's what they do brilliantly. Their competitors will continue to outperform them in the technology stakes, I'm quite sure.

Craftsman

iPad Mini - not long now...

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    That has never been the case so far, so Apple would have to raise their (technology) game substantially. But they are a marketing firm, not a tech firm. That's what they do brilliantly. Their competitors will continue to outperform them in the technology stakes, I'm quite sure.
    True, their mobile phone interface is all hype. Give me a 2001 Nokia. Now that's an Impressively engineered user interface. Or Sony Ericcson. Or the Google phone before they saw the first iphone. The genius of those devices has been lost to history.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed Simon, the original iPhone was a sack of sh!t compared to the original Android phone, the mighty G1 ;-)

Craftsman
    What Apple tend to do very well (most of the time) is allow their devices to interact with each other pretty much seamlessly. The only reason I shifted from Blackberry to iPhone a few years back was the clunky interface Blackberry offered for synching contacts, calendar and so on. Somewhere in the distant past I recall similar hassles wrestling with a Compaq iPaq and Windows - each synch was a journey into the unknown, wondering if this was going to be another of those times when it duplicated every entry in your calendar, or deleted all your contacts.

Some of the gloss of Apple's appeal was wiped out when I got one of the original iPads - I still don't like the fact that I can't just see the iPad as a drive in Finder and transfer files to it without fannying about through iTunes or third party software like Dropbox. At the end of the day, I'm not interested in spending hours of my life wrestling technology into submission to make it do what I want - I'm beginning to wonder if Apple have slightly lost sight of the very thing that made them so appealing a few years back; that ability to make their products aesthetically pleasing and largely intuitive to use.

Having already got 4 iPhones in the house and three iPads, I don't see any benefit for us in an iPad mini.

it wouldn't replace the iPhones as it's not a phone (so they're still going to go everywhere with us) and it wouldn't replace the iPads due to its smaller screen. So the worst of both worlds really.

So i don't think we're going to be the target audience. Perhaps aimed more at those who aren't existing Apple users.

A guy at work bought an Android tablet. It took him 2 days to be able to download an app after finally finding out why he had all the error messages!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenw View Post
    Having already got 4 iPhones in the house and three iPads, I don't see any benefit for us in an iPad mini.

it wouldn't replace the iPhones as it's not a phone (so they're still going to go everywhere with us) and it wouldn't replace the iPads due to its smaller screen. So the worst of both worlds really.

So i don't think we're going to be the target audience. Perhaps aimed more at those who aren't existing Apple users.
    I want one so I guess I'm the target ? We have 2 iPhones in the house and 2 iPod touches . Sort of want an ipad but not 100% certain any of us would use it enough to justify the price tag . We like the sound of a big screen iPod that retains portability and a £200 price tag suits us - if we don't use loads it is not too much to waste .

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    A guy at work bought an Android tablet. It took him 2 days to be able to download an app after finally finding out why he had all the error messages!!!
    Can he dress himself unaided? I'm on my fourth android device and each one has been just as simple to set up and use as my ipad. Mrs donkey isn't a techie and she copes fine moving from iOS to android. Too many scare stories about IMHO.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can he dress himself unaided? I'm on my fourth android device and each one has been just as simple to set up and use as my ipad. Mrs donkey isn't a techie and she copes fine moving from iOS to android. Too many scare stories about IMHO.
    When my wife had an Android phone, she was very annoyed as when she went to download an app, there was a very good chance it wouldn't work on her particular device, due to specific screensize and version of Android. When she goes to the iOS app store, she can download whatever she wants. That's what "just works" means, is this the case now with Android phones?

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    When my wife had an Android phone, she was very annoyed as when she went to download an app, there was a very good chance it wouldn't work on her particular device, due to specific screensize and version of Android. When she goes to the iOS app store, she can download whatever she wants. That's what "just works" means, is this the case now with Android phones?
    I've never met the issue your wife mentions and I'm on my second Android, an S3 now. You do have to read the app notes. All apps are there, including ancient ones. Not all will work with the latest iteration of Android OS. Android does involve just a little more user awareness than iOS.

Slightly OT, I'm trialling Swype - and think it's brilliant. Better than any smartphone keyboard I've seen.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I've never met the issue your wife mentions and I'm on my second Android, an S3 now. You do have to read the app notes. All apps are there, including ancient ones. Not all will work with the latest iteration of Android OS. Android does involve just a little more user awareness than iOS.

Slightly OT, I'm trialling Swype - and think it's brilliant. Better than any smartphone keyboard I've seen.

What was your first Android phone? I am not surprised a class-leading device like the S3 is well catered for. She had the Orange San Francisco, and there were plenty of apps that she wanted that would not work on her particular device. This is not an issue she has come across under iOS.

EDIT: after asking, the main issue was the phone memory was small so a large memory card was duly installed. A lot of the apps she wanted to use were unable to be installed to the memory card, or transferred there (sideloading?) She also had issues with Google calendar syncing with her phone and laptop - oddly, when she went to a 3GS, she had no such issues (and I could see it with my 3GS, which was a bonus). This is how "just works" should work ;-) I gave up programming my toys with my Psions, and fighting to install apps with Windows Phone Edition devices and my Nokia N95 - these days it should not be a struggle to install stuff.
    Last edited by thenikjones; 21st October 2012 at 14:27. Reason: Clarification

They are unveiling next Tuesday here. I am interested, but with an iPad and iPhone...I really have no need.

All will be revealed later today:

http://spoilerfreekeynote.com/

Master
    Anyone else watching the live feeds ?

Quote Originally Posted by back to the top View Post
    Anyone else watching the live feeds ?
    Just watching now through the new channel on apple tv

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I have two Android devices, with different screen sizes. Never had that issue. On the other hand I've never maintained (as a system manager) an Apple product that wasn't unreliable, including two iPhone 3GSs for personal use. Stylish yes, technologically years behind the competition.

Journeyman
    Prices start at £269 for 16GB.
    No retina display though.

I just bought a brand new 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook... and to be frank it blows away anything Apple have. For a fraction of the price of an iPad, the power, compatibility with Android apps (official and sideloaded), Flash player, and beautiful compatibility with the Bold 9900. Unbeatable...

-flugzeit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosFandango View Post
    Prices start at £269 for 16GB.
    No retina display though.
    I missed the bit about uk pricing , is that the official apple store price ?

Yup the store's back online now, ordering opens 26th Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit View Post
    I just bought a brand new 64GB BlackBerry PlayBook... and to be frank it blows away anything Apple have. For a fraction of the price of an iPad, the power, compatibility with Android apps (official and sideloaded), Flash player, and beautiful compatibility with the Bold 9900. Unbeatable...

-flugzeit
    I'd send it back and get an iPad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Yup the store's back online now, ordering opens 26th Oct.
    Bit more than I'd hoped for :( probably buy it anyway though .....

Master
    I had hoped the prices would be closer to the Fire and Nexus. Now I shall think twice about whether to get one - after all it is nearly the price of two DeLaurian straps.