closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pocket watch pricing help please fellows...

Pocket watch pricing help please fellows...

Im thinking of letting someone who appreciates these fine items have this beauty. Not really sure how much to put it on the sc for though? Thoughts..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/8...5c2af2aa_z.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8310/7...e84cbbb9_z.jpg

i like em, i buy em, but hell i cant price em.

Check out Ebay for an idea. To some extend its dependant on who is looking and whether its rare or not.

Personally if it was an old Rolex with a Cal 618 movement I might have given you a few quid for it - well about £2K actually.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Apprentice
    Hard to tell from the photo: is the movement signed or just the case?

Nice quality Swiss hallmarked silver case, with unrubbed machining and vacant cartouche.
    I'm no expert, but it could well be that the case is worth more than the movement.
    I've seen similar "retailer" Omegas (with signed movement) go for about £120, but I've also seen them go for well under £50.

If the Albert is hallmarked, you could probably get £15/20 for that on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by earthlysparky View Post
    Hard to tell from the photo: is the movement signed or just the case?

Nice quality Swiss hallmarked silver case, with unrubbed machining and vacant cartouche.
    I'm no expert, but it could well be that the case is worth more than the movement.
    I've seen similar "retailer" Omegas (with signed movement) go for about £120, but I've also seen them go for well under £50.

If the Albert is hallmarked, you could probably get £15/20 for that on its own.
    Yes the mvt. is signed.

Considering the workmanship thats gone into this, £120 isnt much is it. I know its market forces etc, but its small beer isnt it..

whatever you decide they are certainly beautiful

Apprentice
    Personally, I have a soft spot a mile wide for pocket watches, and I think that the money many of them make bears little relation to their true worth. As a result, so many are being sold just for the scrap value of the case - which is then melted down and the movement discarded.

It'd be worth doing some research doing some research on the retailer, as any additional info might help bump up the price.

Also, it would be great to put an age to it, but the Omega database only goes back as far 1946, and I think this is a little before then!

I think it's a beaut, and hope you do find an appreciative home for it.

Quote Originally Posted by earthlysparky View Post

Also, it would be great to put an age to it, but the Omega database only goes back as far 1946, and I think this is a little before then!
    I have date/serials back to 1895 for Omega.

Is it signed Omega ?

If so should have a seven digit serial number on the movement.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Hi yes it is signed omega but unless the number is under the dial I cant see it. Im too scared to remove the dial as i know how easily they can chip and crack. 1952245 is on the case above the omega roundal, and a letter "I" above that.

That's a queer one as all the Omega movements I have seen have the serial number on them as per this one of mine, note the fully jewelled movement.

This one dates to around 1920 and if the number in your case is in fact the serial number that would place it at around 1901 which would make it a pretty early Omega and as such may be marked differently.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

This is the signature stamp- It appears earlier than 1920 to my eye?

Apprentice
    Purely going by the Swiss markings, I'd say it's pre-1934. The number on the case is just that: a case number, not the movement serial number. I have heard that not all Omegas visible SNs, but have never actually seen one without an obvious serial before.

Any chance of a close up on that letter I on the case? I'm wondering if it is either a London date letter, or Swiss maker stamp.
    Last edited by earthlysparky; 22nd September 2012 at 20:33.

They are Swiss hallmarks showing the rampant bear so no help with dating.

As the case was made by/for Omega and is not a third party one it wouldn't surprise me if the seven digit number was not the serial.

I've never seen it before but then I've never seen an Omega movement without a serial either or that type of logo. Also the number fits to its approximate age, 1901 and of course stuff was obviously done differently then

It may be a coincidence but without any other serials I'm guessing that could be right.

Right or wrong, just looking at the watch it will date from around the turn of the last century.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Do you have any information about "The Emporium" on Fleet St and Cheapside?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    They are Swiss hallmarks showing the rampant bear so no help with dating.
    The rampant bear was in use between 1882 and 1934. Not much help, I know, as it is obvious that watch is earlier than 1934!

It's fairly unusual to find a case serial number that matches the one on the movement? You would expect them to be of similar vintage though, unless the movement was swapped. That doesn't look to be the situation here though.

As for The Emporium, I find that quite intriguing. Seems a very vague name for a retailer.

Would you believe I saw similar case back markings on a watch yesterday:

This is from an early Omega watch that Parkers in Hillsborough (Sheffield) have got for sale. It's a very different watch though - on eBay here, but not much info:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-SWISS...ht_1903wt_1141

Actually, while on eBay I also found this with a similar movement to yours and what looks like the Omega 'roundel' rather than normal signing:

Again, not much info but here nonetheless:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-GU...ht_7798wt_1159

^^^

That's actually quite interesting as the watch shown has the old style roundel and whilst not showing the inner case and having no movement serial number the case serial is given in the description as 4209420 which is a seven digit serial you would expect from an Omega of that era and if correct would date the watch to around 1912.

Is it just a coincidence that these movements with no serials have the correct numbers of digits in the cases and correspond to the likely years of manufacture?

Food for thought.4209420

Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice
    It most certainly is food for thought. My money is on the movement serial being there somewhere, but not visible without embarking on scary stuff, ie under the dial.
    I'd be very interested to know if the serial numbers do match. I've not yet come across any accurate records of serial numbers for pocketwatch cases, so this could be very useful info.

Also, getting back to the OP's original question, it'll be interesting to see how much the retailer Omega that kungfugerbil found makes in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Do you have any information about "The Emporium" on Fleet St and Cheapside?
    No, no luck there, there is an emprorium in London, but its a set of shops in an arcade from what I have googled.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    No, no luck there, there is an emprorium in London, but its a set of shops in an arcade from what I have googled.
    I've had no luck either.

Apprentice
    This is a real long shot, but I'm wondering if perhaps the retailer was Gamages? They did call themselves the People's Popular Emporium, and ended up with premises in both Holborn and Cheapside...and Fleet Street is classed as Holborn.

Only problem is, that I think that they were actually closer to Hatton Garden than Fleet Street.
    hmmm, I might have just talked myself out of that theory!

And if so, I guess they would have put 'gamages' on the dial, i assume..... Nice bit of london knowledge though

Apprentice
    They might have wanted to look a bit more grand for the mail order customers?

Yeah, i know...nice theory while it lasted!

I Got this from Omega today:
    "As this seems to be a vintage piece, the best thing to do would be to contact or visit our vintage boutiques in either the Burlington arcade or Royal Exchange.

OMEGA Vintage Store
    Somlo Antiques
    35-36 Burlington Arcade
    W1J 0QB London
    United Kingdom
    Contact
    T. +44 20 7499 6526
    F. +44 20 7499 0603
    We only keep records of pieces post 2000. For anything earlier you would need to pay for an extract from the archives, for which you would need to know the serial number. If in the unlikely event that Somlo cannot help you, or you would like more official and exact information, you can use the following link to get the extract:

http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/h...f-the-archives

As I said, you do need to know the serial number, so at the very least our vintage boutique should be able to help you find it. Alternatively, you can take it into an OMEGA boutique with a service centre where they will be able to open it up and have a look."

Best regards,

Sam Kessler
    OMEGA BRAND ADMINISTRATOR

THE SWATCH GROUP (UK) LIMITED
    BUILDING 1000, 2ND FLOOR EAST WING
    THE ROYALS BUSINESS PARK
    DOCKSIDE ROAD, LONDON E16 2QU

Shant being all the way to London just for this!

Apprentice
    I wonder just how much they'd charge to "open it up and have a look" for the serial number for you?