closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Any interest in one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    It was mentioned earlier that the crown will be screw down. Will it be the same type as used in the Dreadnought/PRS3?
    Only if you want this to end up costing more than the Dreadnought.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    BTW: when is the DN due? I just want to know when to have the cash ready :)

Eddie
    Ah, I see. I wasn't sure on the costings of it all, but I'm sure someone said the DN was around £400 and the PRS3 is £340 so I guessed the new Smiths might be in the same ballpark (£300+) and thought it was worth asking.

Any more hints on ballpark price? (fully expecting a NO but still hopeful...)
    Last edited by twhp101; 5th October 2012 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    Ah, I see. I wasn't sure on the costings of it all, but I'm sure someone said the DN was around £400 and the PRS3 is £340 so I guessed the new Smiths might be in the same ballpark (£300+) and thought it was worth asking.

Any more hints on ballpark price? (fully expecting a NO but still hopeful...)
    I haven't had an offer from the manufacturer yet because each time he says he's ready to send me an offer, I ask him to incorporate more changes. The price never goes down when you change the spec but there is a time when you have to say "enough", you can carry on tweaking forever.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

But it's all in the detail. Given that in most other respects, you are aiming for a pretty faithful homage, to scrimp on the hands would be a shame. If you end up making 200 of these, the extra cost per unit is not going to put anyone off, but compromised hands might.

Martin

^^^ I get the message! If I have to get the hands made in the original style, the tooling costs are approximately 2,000 euros and the delay is 8 - 12 weeks. It's not only in the detail, it's also in the cost.

Eddie

Hi Eddie

This looks fantastic.!

My only observation is that I am glad you have kept the bezel font inline with the original :-)

Can I have number 67.?

Thanks
    deano

someone knows how much will be done?

Apprentice
    I say I do have to agree a quartz selection would be cool, a quick stylish grab and go watch like the Smiths 6105!

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    Metres, please. The watch may be assembled in Blighty but 200m (in the right font, thank you) is in keeping with the original 6105, still modern and far less clumsy and dishonest than 656 feet 2 1⁄64inches. 20 bar or 100 fathoms would be incorrect but at least the OCD wouldn't rip me shreds.

Metres, metres, metres.

now: QUARTZ!
    Last edited by punkybrewster; 6th October 2012 at 17:29.

Journeyman
    +1 on quartz!

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    I've been reading this thread and watching the evolutionary process with interest!

This latest cut is almost perfect and I would certainly like to have one.

Just one thing (and I think it has been said before) - the pink dot on the second hand and the strong assertive red of the depth indication are mutually exclusive.

Let's have strong red for both please.

Paul
    I absolutely agree with you on the red, but out of curiosity, didn't you mean aren't mutually exclusive?

Anyway, moving on...man you guys are OCD to whole new levels! who knew you could analyse fonts, lettering, units etc. to death?!

I'll keep it simple.

Really pleased to see that it now looks like it'll be on bracelet. Super.

I definitely think it needs red somewhere, preferably on the depth rating. If not there, then GREAT BRITAIN in red as suggested, would be an almost equally good option.

I like the idea of Imperial units but aesthetically on the images, it just seems to affect the visuals, like it comes to a sudden halt or something. I also don't think you need 'WATER'....just 200 METRES does the job perfectly.

In summary, as long as it remains an auto, on a bracelet, then the rest I can live with. Red accents are needed somewhere though!

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post

In summary, as long as it remains an auto, on a bracelet, then the rest I can live with. Red accents are needed somewhere though!
    Did I mention that I think we should have a quartz option?
    QUARTZ!

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Orange is the way to go, mate.
    Hmm, I like orange accents too don't get me wrong. But seeing as Rolex refuse to do a modern one with red lettering, this is my chance to have a voice...RED!

Did I mention that I think we should have a quartz option?
    QUARTZ!
    Yeah, I saw that. Hence I needed to shout AUTO again to drown out any chance of this being a quartz only model.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. Hence I needed to shout QUARTZ again to drown out any chance of this being an auto only model.
    Phew, I'm glad you 100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    Will the 'SMITHS' logo on the dial be applied or painted?

N
    Applied.

Eddie
    This is the first I've seen of this project and it looks great, especially with the orange highlights.

Something I wondered about regarding the logo. If it is to be applied as confirmed above, will all the letters have to be 'joined up', are will they be applied individually?

I'm pretty sure that all the applied logos I've ever seen, Seiko, Citizen, Omega etc are made in one piece and applied to the dial with a couple of securing pins, like this;

If they are to be joined then the logo might lose some of it's crispness if it isn't 'done right'. I hope they are to be applied individually as it looks great, but I imagine that would increase the overall production cost.

Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post
    This is the first I've seen of this project and it looks great, especially with the orange highlights.

Something I wondered about regarding the logo. If it is to be applied as confirmed above, will all the letters have to be 'joined up', are will they be applied individually?

I'm pretty sure that all the applied logos I've ever seen, Seiko, Citizen, Omega etc are made in one piece and applied to the dial with a couple of securing pins, like this;

If they are to be joined then the logo might lose some of it's crispness if it isn't 'done right'. I hope they are to be applied individually as it looks great, but I imagine that would increase the overall production cost.

Rich.
    Good call- looking at the Seiko SARB on my wrist I can just see the two holding pins. The serifs on the Seiko logo make it relatively straightforward to "join" the letters and the Omega solution above is neat. I assume it would be tricky to do for SMITHS with the favoured logo font?
    I'm not bothered about printed/applied myself, as long as the proportions of the logo aren't ruined. It does make the dial just that smidgeon more "special" though but not a dealbreaker for many methinks.

Bagsy number 15....

Blog Entries
    Good call- looking at the Seiko SARB on my wrist I can just see the two holding pins. The serifs on the Seiko logo make it relatively straightforward to "join" the letters and the Omega solution above is neat. I assume it would be tricky to do for SMITHS with the favoured logo font?
    I'm not bothered about printed/applied myself, as long as the proportions of the logo aren't ruined.
    I'm sure Eddie has his own plans for how the "SMITHS" logo should be applied but one possibility that looks visually appealing is raised printing. This was used, for example, for the "Steinhart" text and "S" logo on the Steinhart Proteus dial. This technique gives a strong 3D effect that is very similar to an applied logo but of course doesn't need a joiner for the separate characters.

You can see the effect in some of the high res photos in this thread.

This pic demonstrates it particularly well. Click for the hires version:

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'm sure Eddie has his own plans for how the "SMITHS" logo should be applied but one possibility that looks visually appealing is raised printing. This was used, for example, for the "Steinhart" text and "S" logo on the Steinhart Proteus dial. This technique gives a strong 3D effect that is very similar to an applied logo but of course doesn't need a joiner for the separate characters.

You can see the effect in some of the high res photos in this thread.
    Thanks for that Mark, not a method I had noticed before.

Master
    Lots of interest in this and rightly so, I just hope I can get one of these when they become available...

The 'other one' is on pre order from tomorrow.

Journeyman
    Not found a Cpt. Willard in good condition so count me in. I'm waiting to this chance for a long time. Looking forward to give you my money

Bye, Klaus

Craftsman

Cool

I haven't bought or worn a dive watch for well over eighteen months but this watch could well be the one that takes me back into the murky depths of my desk-side drawer.

Master
    Been a while since I really looked in here and look what I missed! This looks lovely!

Could I have number 19 please???? (Just in case its a LE)

Cheers and good work Eddie.

Apprentice
    Any update ?

And would the 'crown logo' idea also be considered to keep the brand consistent?

That looks good.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    And would the 'crown logo' idea also be considered to keep the brand consistent?

Oh yeah, like that! :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is a very nice looking watch, the crown logo really does bring it all together.

Nib

Apprentice
    Oh yes, that is sweet Eddie!!!!!!!!
    Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    Yes and don't forget to make the three tips of the crown luminous.
    Oh, that would be coool.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Oh, that would be coool.
    cool mate,

was the design made with Autocad?? as i played around years ago

So when can I buy one?

Anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    But it's all in the detail. Given that in most other respects, you are aiming for a pretty faithful homage, to scrimp on the hands would be a shame. If you end up making 200 of these, the extra cost per unit is not going to put anyone off, but compromised hands might.

Martin
    Hard to imagine many people would overlook the fact that the dial has some fundamental differences from the original (branding, fonts, text etc) but would walk away because the hour and minute hands were only 98% faithful.
    That said, loyswatch seem to have source of chamfered hands, but they're probably wrong in a million other ways. I'd post a pic, but a quick google will find loyswatch quicker than I can work out how to upload.
    Last edited by holio cornolio; 12th November 2012 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by punkybrewster View Post
    Oh yes, that is sweet Eddie!!!!!!!!
    Rob
    I second that, will be patiently waiting for more info on this. Keep up the good work Eddie. It would be nice for Christmas, I love that case shape.

Steve

BRONZE

The bronze one first, please !!!!!!!

Brilliant...looking forward to seeing this one in the Check Out! Any update on a release?

Count me in !

Master
    I desperately need one of these!!

When where how much?!

That is very interesting! It seems pretty close to the original, I have a lot of interest for this homage, can't wait to see the price range and release date!

Craftsman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Anytime soon?
    +1 May we have an estimated availability date please?

Thanks

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Anytime soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1 View Post
    Brilliant...looking forward to seeing this one in the Check Out! Any update on a release?
    Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    +1 May we have an estimated availability date please?
    Post #54 from the middle of September estimated 4-5 months. However, Eddie wisely doesn't make promises on availability. Dum Spiro Spero, as Cicero said.

Master
    Yes please! number 9 for me please.

Talking

I find myself coming back to this thread daily, Just a nice looking piece that Eddie has designed. Be so nice as a chrissy present, here,s hoping

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I find myself coming back to this thread daily, Just a nice looking piece that Eddie has designed. Be so nice as a chrissy present, here,s hoping
    Christmas 2013.

Eddie

Christmas 2013.

Eddie
    Well that's next years present to me sorted then :-)

Journeyman
    looks very good , remember me a seiko 6105/8110

Journeyman
    Classic looking diver,
    And love the Smiths marque, great to see Great Britain on a watch.
    I got my mother, from Yorkshire years ago, a Smiths Radio, which she loves and is still going strong over here in Australia.
    Seb.

How's this project going, have you managed to get the crystals sourced okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    How's this project going, have you managed to get the crystals sourced okay?
    No problem with the crystals, it's all about costs now.

Eddie

Craftsman
    It's actually a Dreadnought blank which I suspect had a bit of work done to it already. Here's the PRS-50 blank.

Eddie
    Eddie,

I've got to ask, but has this case been cast? I thought when it comes to producing watch cases is small numbers, the blanks were CNC machined from a bar of steel that has been rolled in order to ensure a good surface finish.