closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your most uncomfortable watch?

Whats your most uncomfortable watch?

Following on from this thread http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...fortable-watch it would be good to know the uncomfortable watches out there as well...

I will start the ball rolling with the cool but bloody heavy Ploprof 1200...

Blog Entries

Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor. Looks good, but has the world's sharpest lugs. I can't wear mine until the next time I get the Dremel out and polish off the sharp edges.

Banned
    I must agree on the ploprof, it just hurts my wrist so much

Breitling Navitimer World.

Loved the design of the watch but couldn't wear it for more than 3 hours at a time.

Only watch I've sold due to discomfort .....and in a way I still miss it. Had I bought the standard Navitimer at 41.5mm I am sure I would still have it. Have been tempted to get one - but then the increase in that model's price over the last few years just puts me off.

Master
    my (top-)heavy sbdx001 if worn on its bracelet...

..and my sbdx011 due to its size (very big)...

..then again I love them both

Blog Entries
    I could never wear a watch that was uncomforable. Rather wear nothing. Its no good being functional and not wearable. Cant believe some people will wear them in pain. Id rather wear a casio f-91w thats comfortable than wear a rolex thats not.

In fact comfortability is the primary issue when I buy a watch. Otherwise it goes back. No way am i paying for pain. Thats for someone into alternative lifestyle choices, ropes and rubber.

I sold a Planet Ocean because I found it was too heavy, especially on the bracelet. It was the large size version (45mm?) and seemed to weigh double my 16610. Felt great quality but just felt like I was wearing a manacle so had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    I could never wear a watch that was uncomforable. Rather wear nothing. Its no good being functional and not wearable. Cant believe some people will wear them in pain. Id rather wear a casio f-91w thats comfortable than wear a rolex thats not.

In fact comfortability is the primary issue when I buy a watch. Otherwise it goes back. No way am i paying for pain. Thats for someone into alternative lifestyle choices, ropes and rubber.
    Thing is you need a bit of a roadtest to see if they end up being uncomfortable. Unfortunately a couple of minutes on the wrist in a dealer is not enough.

After ignoring these beasties for years I finally opted for one after it was discontinued:

Loved most things about it but couldn't get on with the low crown position - typical of module type chronos - so on the block it went costing me a hefty loss in the process.

... a proper gouger.
    Gray

Probably my OM on mesh. Feels just right.

Actually that's completely wrong. Just ignore me.
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 14th September 2012 at 11:04. Reason: Some sort of memory loss. No reading glasses.

Re: Whats your most uncomfortable watch?

Steel ecozilla, have to wear it on the other wrist... Then the SMP, no micro adjusters for expanding wrists in the sun...

Blog Entries

The PO on the rubber...

Can't quite get it comfy - it's either too tight or too loose.

z

Grand Master
    My Huge oversized 47mm Panerai's, they are like dustbins lids hanging off my wrist so that I can bearly lift my arm such is the weight of the mansters but doesnt stop me wearing them everyday and loving them*They arent uncomfortable at all
    RIAC

Mkii LRRP

Bracelet edges like razorblades. It also seemed to sit against the the knobbly bit of bone on a my wrist in a way which was really uncomfortable. I couldn't wear it for more than 30minutes at a time.

Waited 6months for the watch to arrive and then sold it within 24hours.

No longer own it but is was an Oris Small Seconds 1000m diver. It was 250 grams, 47mm wide and 16mm deep. Had to stop wearing it.

2ex11sm.jpg

G shock, plastic strap is nasty

Paul

Another contender...

Fabulous watch. Great on just about any strap. OEM bracelet the wrist-hair-puller from hell:

Gray

Banned

JLC Memovox

Although on the bracelet this was fairly comfy, I bought it for the look on leather. However, the straps are puny and the head wobbles like crazy, unless it's so tight your hand goes blue. Flipped it within weeks.
    Not my pic, but by god it's a good one.

Only one contender for me: Vostok Amphibia on bracelet:

Truly hair pullingly awful.

Currently my Panerai 219 destro, not because of its size or the left-hand crown, but because my wrist is between holes on the leather OEM strap; one hole is too tight the next hole is too loose which means it moves laterally and rubs on my wrist bone. So, in my experience there is a lot to be said for the right strap length/fit in relation to comfort.

the plastic strap on the G shock I bought for holiday, so the watch I was trying to protect got worn again in every situation, just like every day

worst was the "italian" I had briefly, too flat and wide, so the crown dug into the back of my hand, although probably as much my fault for wearing it below the wrist bone
    Last edited by de30m; 14th September 2012 at 13:02.

Some of the more recent G shocks - eg the Riseman - seem to have very plasticky as opposed to rubbery straps. I then have to wear them a little loose for the sake of comfort which results in the keeper constantly moving, then the 'tail' of the strap sticks out - really annoying.
    In comparison, I've got a recent GW6900 which has the same strap which is fitted to most 'vanilla' 5600 variants - it tapers slightly more from the lugs, is noticeably thinner and more rubbery, and the back of the strap and keeper are designed to 'catch' on each other. I have large wrists, and I'm still left with 3 spare holes in the strap so it's a much better and more comfy set-up.
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the 'original' g shocks designed in the 80's and 90's are very well thought out, but the constant updates/changes/colours and styles, has resulted in too much compromise and the use of different materials which aren't really as suitable for the job. It's nice to have all the options but I'm increasingly drawn back to the old school G's.

Master
    Not my picture but I had something similar to this and that strap just DID NOT move! It was so thick and rigid that it made the watch unwearable.

Cannot say I have a *really* uncomfortable one (or I would sell it!) but the old Doxa 300t sure digs in a bit now and then...

Master
    This one on one of Eddies speedbird NATO's. I keep bashing into door jambs etc. Maybe I should just buy some glasses. lol. Kev

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
    This one on one of Eddies speedbird NATO's. I keep bashing into door jambs etc. Maybe I should just buy some glasses. lol. Kev

Wrist shot please :)

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Wrist shot please :)

z
    LMAO.@ you

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Following on from this thread http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...fortable-watch it would be good to know the uncomfortable watches out there as well...

I will start the ball rolling with the cool but bloody heavy Ploprof 1200...

I know that these are popular amongst many, but I am not surprised that something so ugly (sorry guys) and doesn't look like it was designed for the wrist, is so uncomfortable to wear

I found the Seiko Bullet uncomfortable. The crown at 4 wore a hole in my wrist. Sold it in the end - shame 'cos I loved the watch.

Next to the TAG Heuer Aquagraph it must be this one:

Although an excellent crafted piece I found it very heavy and wobbly. Also no fine-adjustmement on the clasp so either too loose or too tight. On top of this I was constantly afraid of banging it into someting because of its height. But besides all this one of the most beautiful watches I've ever owned. Still miss it.

Master
    Mine was a watch and brand I loved and I owned the model twice, but just wouldn't sit comfortably on my wrist.

Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox Compressor.

Seiko SKX007 before removing it from the awful OEM rubber and putting it on a wonderful Isofrane.

Digger

Craftsman
    As a Ploprof owner I can say it is heavy on the mesh but perfectly wearable on the rubber. It is perfectly balanced on my wrist either way, it just is the weight that is very high.
    Also with the microadjustment in the clasp you can always adjust it a bit when the temperature rises.

My MM300 is due to the small cassback and height much more uncomfortable.

45 po for me every time i bent my wrist outward it was there digging into back of hand and front of wrist

Craftsman
    another vote for plastic G-Shock straps here. I hurriedly bought a G-1000 a couple of years back on my way to a weekend residential as my Seiko quartz's battery had given up the ghost that morning. Wore it because I had to for the weekend, then chucked it in a drawer where it's remained for the next two years - horrible thing!

AP ROO on bracelet if you've a hairy wrist. Lost some hairs there.

Pam homage - sharp edges.

Citizen Orca... simply horrible. Even cooking of the strap did not help.
    And stupid lugs don't allow the strap change to nato or something similar.
    Had to sell it...

Last edited by Rocky555; 14th September 2012 at 22:12.

One more vote for the MM300 on bracelet. However if you wear it for some days, you can get use to....

Grand Master
    my two would be an Omega Seamaster date, couldn't get it comfy and was gutted as i loved it, and an ecozilla on rubber - 'orrible!
    the Crux would be next, loved it but it sat wrong for me.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

All my current watches are comfortable.

I bought one of these as a sort of "test drive" of a Panerai to see if I could live with the crown guard.

I couldn't.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Although on the bracelet this was fairly comfy, I bought it for the look on leather. However, the straps are puny and the head wobbles like crazy, unless it's so tight your hand goes blue. Flipped it within weeks.
    Not my pic, but by god it's a good one.

I didn't find the leather on my MC Geographic that comfortable either and didn't particularly like the look of the bracelet, but an Isofrane has transformed it.

Any watch worn on my right wrist.

I bought the real thing....and couldn't. Looked great but just couldn't wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    All my current watches are comfortable.

I bought one of these as a sort of "test drive" of a Panerai to see if I could live with the crown guard.

I couldn't.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I found the Italian uncomfortable so flipped it fast. At the minute mine are all fine, but if I had to pick then my seiko 007 isn't one that I can forget I'm wearing. The rubber strap is too clunky and the head spins on a NATO.

This one was a bit of a beast.
    Steel case and bracelet.
    Useful as a weapon though.

Another one that was not very comfy.
    A fabulous watch actually (apart from that huge lump on the side)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    Thing is you need a bit of a roadtest to see if they end up being uncomfortable. Unfortunately a couple of minutes on the wrist in a dealer is not enough.
    So true. And some are comfortable for a few hours and then start to rub, or pinch. or annoy in some way. A truly comfortable watch can be worn 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Only one contender for me: Vostok Amphibia on bracelet:

Truly hair pullingly awful.
    Note that the Amphibia with 18mm lugs has a bad bracelet, the 22mm bracelet on the Ministry case is not too bad. Either is better on a Nato though.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Seiko SKX007 before removing it from the awful OEM rubber and putting it on a wonderful Isofrane.

Digger
    I have a friend who had dozens of watches, including several 007s and 007 mods. He finally got a stock 007, put in the domed Yobokies sapphire, put it on an Isofrane, and promptly sold all his other watches.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I found the Italian uncomfortable so flipped it fast. At the minute mine are all fine, but if I had to pick then my seiko 007 isn't one that I can forget I'm wearing. The rubber strap is too clunky and the head spins on a NATO.
    Try a mesh or a nice silicon, Timefactors has some nicely priced and comfortable silicon in 22mm.

It was my Deep Blue Master Explorer. 46mm and too heavy
    663980d1332867636-fsot-deep-blue-master-explorer-near-mint-miyota-9015-dscn0008.jpg
    (pic from the internet)

Re: Whats your most uncomfortable watch?

You won't get much more uncomfortable than an original Monaco. Sharp edges dig into everything.