closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA 2824 quartz replacement options?

Craftsman

ETA 2824 quartz replacement options?

I am building a quartz powered beater from a case that housed an ETA 2824 or 2836 movement and would like to replace it with a good quality quartz movement that uses the existing movement holder and hands.

Is there a drop in ETA quartz replacement thats available from Cousins.

Banned
    The short answer is no.
    Cousins do stock a direct replacement quartz module, it's a perfect fit except for one of the hands pinions differs in size - I think it's the seconds hand, but I can't be certain.

Craftsman
    All the hands will differ in sizes and hands to fit ETA quartz movements are not easy to find .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    All the hands will differ in sizes and hands to fit ETA quartz movements are not easy to find .
    I'm not sure all the hands will be incorrect. I've dug out my notes, and this is what I've got...

"The replacement is an ISA 1198.32, hand sizes are 150/90/20, the original hands are 150/90/25 - so the original seconds hand would be .25 so it would'nt fit and would need replaced"

This was in comparison to an Eta 2824-2.

ETA 2824 quartz replacement options?

You might be able to tighten up the second hand by 0.05 with a gentle squeeze.

Craftsman
    I believe ETA quartz hands are 70-120-20 and ETA auto hands are 90-150-25 which makes the ETA hour and minute hands compatible with ISA quartz and Seiko auto .I have have always found ISA quartz movement to be too high (thick) for a case meant for ETA quartz .

Banned
    Julian,
    I'm only going by all the early quartz Heuers divers (98x.xxx series). They all run ETA, (or ESA)* 536.121 and have 150/90/25 hands.
    These can be directly swapped for an ETA 2824 (I've actually done it, as have other Heueristas), which I *think* is the same size as 2836 & 2872.

The Heuer 844 series of Auto divers have ETA 2872 and have exactly the same hands as the quartz models - they are interchangable, again, I have actually had sets swapped/replaced.

*ESA became ETA

NB. James (dreamboat10) has done all my 'hand swaps', so I'll double check with him - if anyone knows, he will.. he has a vast amount of experience.
    Last edited by europa; 2nd September 2012 at 17:11.

Craftsman
    I would also be happy to use a set of Seiko hands or a combination of ETA auto and Seiko hands if that helps.

Julian,

Stewart is correct in his notes, ISA1198/32 uses the 150/90/20 handset so can be swapped for the ETA 2824 movements and only need the seconds hand changed, you are correct that some quartz movments are not that high but the ISA1198/32 can replace the ESA 536.121 used in most early Heuer divers.

The later Tag Heuer divers used the shallower ETA 955.112 movement and cannot be replaced with the ISA1198/32.

Hands can be sourced for the quartz versions, let me know if you need links??

Best,

James.

Banned
    Thanks James - I wasn't sure I'd got the numbers right.

Master
    I don't want to high jack the thread but I have just bought a Kronos diver with the cheapy ETA quartz, no-jewel movement. Is there an easy swap for a better quality quartz that will accept the same hands etc?

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the information, I am guessing a second hand designed for a Rolex 1570 would work on the ISA 1198.32.

Apprentice
    Yes the ISA 1198/103 is a straight swap except for the second hand. I bought one from Leosics.co.uk for my project which was stalled after I couldn't get the stem back in my ST2130 ETA2824 clone. I also bought a second hand pack for £2 which got me over the line.
    I messed up here though as it doesn't match the Mercedes hands I had for my dial. If I had done it earlier, I could have got the right second hand from Cousins. I do need to put that right so will probably buy a matching set from them as the hands I have don't quite match the dial.
    Pretty happy with the movement. It has the same 12/42 dial feet position as the ETA 2824, which no-one seems to have mentioned yet, but I phoned up and the guy was really helpful.
    Now I'm wishing I'd built it round a quartz movement from the start, but then getting a sterile submariner dial for a Seiko movement (which I have always found super accurate) would have been impossible I suppose,

Apprentice
    You could use the 955.112 if you are happy to buy new hands too. I think. I'm going to try it